• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Koei Tecmo revises financial forecast after disappointing game sales

Should have been on PC. This is what happens when companies forego multiplatform gaming for exclusivity deals...

Hopefully Koei will think twice before taking that Three Hoops check next time

Nah, pc is a sizable audience but porting to another platform also raises the expectations, meaning we would be at the same spot.

Either the expectations where out of line, the marketing missed or the slate of games was not resonating or really bad timing.

I would guess mostly a mix between 2 and 3 since I really don't see much buzz and had to look up what the releases where.

Isn't Ronin published by Sony? Shouldn't they have been compensated for it already or do they have a revenue/profit sharing arrangement?

I assume this has mostly to do with stuff like Fate/Samurai and Atelier Resleriana.

Isn't Ronin published by Sony? Shouldn't they have been compensated for it already or do they have a revenue/profit sharing arrangement?
probably? but they have expressed on a few occasions that they had a 5 Million lifetime goal post for rise of ronin

If anything, i'd say that dumb mobile gacha Atelier game doesn't perform as they wanted.

Maybe it's a dumb idea to take a single player RPG franchise and make the next "mainline" title a mobile gacha just to hunt the Genshin Impact crowd?
As a spin-off ... okay. But not as the next "mainline" game.

Maybe it's a dumb idea to take a single player RPG franchise and make the next "mainline" title a mobile gacha just to hunt the Genshin Impact crowd?
As a spin-off ... okay. But not as the next "mainline" game.
Wait what? The next Atelier is a mobile gacha game? I didn't catch that news o_o

Wait what? The next Atelier is a mobile gacha game? I didn't catch that news o_o

Well, since it already released i maybe should've used "current", but yeah.

Atelier Resleriana (had to google) is a gacha, available on mobile and Steam. Not even on Playstation like Genshin for example.

Incredibly stupid idea.

Kind of silly if Ronin was supposed to be their grand first 5 million seller when... first Age of Calamity did that already IIRC, and they can't use it being with Nintendo as an out... as Ronin was with Sony. Only difference is that Ronin was a new IP, but both are owned by the respective partner, right?

That and KT really shouldn't have moved away from their Nintendo collabs as they seemingly were some of their most successful endeavors. Not all are winners (Buddy Mission BOND kinda was a dud in sales), but still they've been really important parts of their business IMO. They need more Nintendo collabs.

Well... fix it with more re-releases. Where are the HD remasters of Monster Rancher 3-4? 1-2 pack sold pretty well on Switch even with the lame discounts Kotec does. And Fatal Frame 2 remake on Wii. It shouldn't have stuck there, bring that back too. Speaking of Wii games... Rygar... Opoona...

Rise of Ronin, 5 million? Man I'd have celebrated 3.5 if I were them.

Anyway the inevitable TOTK prequel Zelda Warriors game will probably make that money back.

There's an Atalier Gacha? And it underperformed? They messed up Ryza waifu PNGs? That's impressive.

With all these mishaps going on, I'm just hoping that the Kou Shibusawa games will continue to get localization. Romance 8 got delayed, still waiting for that release date. Hope it doesn't get canned.

Kind of silly if Ronin was supposed to be their grand first 5 million seller when... first Age of Calamity did that already IIRC, and they can't use it being with Nintendo as an out... as Ronin was with Sony. Only difference is that Ronin was a new IP, but both are owned by the respective partner, right?

That and KT really shouldn't have moved away from their Nintendo collabs as they seemingly were some of their most successful endeavors. Not all are winners (Buddy Mission BOND kinda was a dud in sales), but still they've been really important parts of their business IMO. They need more Nintendo collabs.
1. There's no indication that KT is no longer working with Nintendo on projects. The last Nintendo Musou title that released was Three Hopes not even two years ago.
2. As a third-party, KT doesn't and shouldn't need to depend on Nintendo partnerships for success.
3. BOND was never sold worldwide and the expectations of its audience are different from a Nintendo Musou.

Last edited:
Should have been on PC. This is what happens when companies forego multiplatform gaming for exclusivity deals...

Im in the same boat as you. I have a switch but its my only console and I legit only have it to play Nintendo games and nothing else. I buy all 3rd party games on pc on steam usually on g2a with cd keys

This case was Sony pretty much funded the development of that title why its under XDEV brand.

Also 5 million sales was for lifetime sales still a lot but a PC release along with complete edition will hopefully hit close to that.

It was not. The game was only available in Asia with a limited localization. The twitter is active and there were signs that a sequel is in the works (not necessary with the same characters). Not to mention in the VN it sold inline with what others do. So I would not call it a dud.

This case was Sony pretty much funded the development of that title why its under XDEV brand.

Also 5 million sales was for lifetime sales still a lot but a PC release along with complete edition will hopefully hit close to that.
The joke was that it wasn't Three "Hoops" that flopped but Rise of the Ronin, even though the anti exclusive argument people use when taking Sony money would sound very similar for their very successful Warriors games as well. I didn't think of it much more than that, it wasn't a criticism of them taking Sony money. It just didn't work out right out the gates this time.

I think even if the 5 million figure was lifetime, there was probably some average asking price they were looking to hit which they won't hit now. Still could be a success in the long run, legs actually seem decent, but definitely off to a mixed start.

The joke was that it wasn't Three "Hoops" that flopped but Rise of the Ronin, even though the anti exclusive argument people use when taking Sony money would sound very similar for their very successful Warriors games as well. I didn't think of it much more than that, it wasn't a criticism of them taking Sony money. It just didn't work out right out the gates this time.

I think even if the 5 million figure was lifetime, there was probably some average asking price they were looking to hit which they won't hit now. Still could be a success in the long run, legs actually seem decent, but definitely off to a mixed start.
when tecmo takes Nintendo's money it's for a spin-off of an already popular franchise guaranteeing a certain amount of success, whereas Rise of Ronin is a new IP they had high hopes for as a potential franchise but limiting a new third party ip to one console runs a much larger risk of failure.

when tecmo takes Nintendo's money it's for a spin-off of an already popular franchise guaranteeing a certain amount of success, whereas Rise of Ronin is a new IP they had high hopes for as a potential franchise but limiting a new third party ip to one console runs a much larger risk of failure.
There's always a risk of failure for a new IP, but getting backing for that new IP helps soften the potential blow. That goes just as much for Sony-backed titles as much as it does Nintendo.

There's an Atalier Gacha? And it underperformed? They messed up Ryza waifu PNGs? That's impressive.
They just released a Gyaru Ryza, so they didn't actually messed up that lol (the game features characters from all the atelier games).

Then again Resleriana wasn't even developed by KT / Gust ( it's mainly Akatsuki games). But I have always wondered how this affect their forecast ( I assume Akatsuki games get a slice of the money, since they have to be constantly working on content, unlike DOA venus vacation which is team ninja).

....guys, you don't need to tell me the difference between their Nintendo games is that they're successful, or that they have low risk, i know that. The joke is simply that the wording people use to try to hammer moves like this under the coals would also apply to their most successful games. And honestly, whereas Square taking Sony exclusivity is a bone headed decision at this point, can Koei really be blamed to the same extent? It's a new ip, that needs significant backing, that could use good marketing. All things Koei barely has. It didn't work out this time but it doesn't always work. The much bigger ? Is not having a PC port day one, which may have been Sony's call.

Can we not make this thread into every game by this dev should be made by Nintendo.

....guys, you don't need to tell me the difference between their Nintendo games is that they're successful, or that they have low risk, i know that. The joke is simply that the wording people use to try to hammer moves like this under the coals would also apply to their most successful games. And honestly, whereas Square taking Sony exclusivity is a bone headed decision at this point, can Koei really be blamed to the same extent? It's a new ip, that needs significant backing, that could use good marketing. All things Koei barely has. It didn't work out this time but it doesn't always work. The much bigger ? Is not having a PC port day one, which may have been Sony's call.

Can we not make this thread into every game by this dev should be made by Nintendo.
really have no idea where I insinuated Rise of Ronin should have been made for Nintendo, I only brought up their Nintendo games is because your the one who brought them up. i was more arguing unless it's a first party IP, third-party exclusives are dumb and ronin should have been on PC on day one since they had to know about poor PS5 software sales In japan

yes, at leat modes could have made the game fun
If you actually think that that's a cool and based take, I'm just saying it's pretty much exactly industry standard that a first party publisher gets to decide what platforms the games they're financially backing shows up on, even if it's a third party ip
Really not sure why Sony couldn't give this game a break and let it release on PC day one, since they're already doing that for their GaaS games going forward. Then again, they would have then had to develop a port which cost more time, such is the reality of risks in the industry

Game companies need to be a little more realistic with their sales forecasts. It sometimes feels like they are completely detached from reality.

Didn't KT also try and shoot for 5 million for Nioh 2? I think that trying to expand and reach an audience that large might just not be realistic for them with that kind of game. Stick with what works - if Nioh/Nioh 2 etc. can sell 2-3 million, maybe that's totally fine and you don't need to try to get up to the 5 mil number by throwing more resources at it.

they dont need to chain themselves to being nintendo exclusive when multiplat is the better way to go for more people to play the games (see, Ryza); also the sony strategy worked fine before with Nioh, the difference this time is the PS5 isn't exactly a system that's doing so hot compared to the PS4 (especially in japan) and if you want to make a game of the scale they did, well... what other system could they have put it on

PC really; and I hope these devs at least learn to lean on that since the JP PC market is slowly picking up

I wonder what title they are referring to here then?

Based on the presentation:

2oJvB84.png

So 2 new major titles is likely referring to Wild Hearts and maybe Wo Long (it's obviously not Ryza since they celebrated it's sales and I'd like to think they had their expectations with Fate Samurai, but it could also be since it's a big franchise and they were expecting more) and titles launched in 2022 is probably referencing DW9 empires and Strangers of Paradise (again, they celebrated the sales of Atelier Sophie 2 and FEW3H

Back
Top Bottom