• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series (1+2) announced for all platforms, launches July 8th (UPDATE: out now!)

For as much color as the remake has, it looks kinda flat. No depth of field that the original had.

Looks good but it reminds me of the OoT to OoT3D comparisons. Technically it looks better but lost a little something in translation.

I never played the psx originals, but this trailer is actually wowing me with how well the characters and environments were modeled, and how well this game engine presented them, back on the psx.

A new gameplay video posted by bamco. I honestly don't remember a lot since I played it a long time ago, but was the vocal song always in that level??

The new graphics in Klonoa 2 look so much better than the PS2 version’s poor attempt at cell shading.

finished the demo. plays great in handheld mode, looks really sharp and the performance is solid.

Performance is solid, but sadly not perfect. There are some frame pacing issues. Noticeable if you just walk and look at the scrolling of the scenery. And I am crazy, or is there no stereo mixing for Klonoa 1? Have to play the demo again with my headphones on.
Series X version seems flawless. Loading is a tiny bit faster too.

what other titles are there to remaster? i doubt they're gonna re-release the GBA games.
Yep, it's just the GBA games (2 puzzle platformers and an RPG)...the WonderSwan platformer...and a PSX volleyball game, I think? The GBA games are supposed to be good but it is hard to picture a remaster rather than an NSO-type release since they came out on Wii U VC. That said it was kinda hard for me to tell (and not knowing if the translation is spot on) whether the article was talking about remasters of Klonoa games or remasters of other dormant IP...and if the expanded IP use was about gaming specifically or potentially other mediums.

Either way, if the collection does well I take this to mean there's a chance of Klonoa 3 and that would make me very happy. I'm hoping it will vastly outperform the Wii-release that sold poorly. (I loved it, personally.)

Performance is solid, but sadly not perfect. There are some frame pacing issues. Noticeable if you just walk and look at the scrolling of the scenery. And I am crazy, or is there no stereo mixing for Klonoa 1? Have to play the demo again with my headphones on.
Series X version seems flawless. Loading is a tiny bit faster too.

What I played there was sadly very bad framepacing. Otherwise the game was good, but I don't get why it is this bad performance wise. I may not buy it at launch although I really would like to play these games again.

Edit: It felt like it was hovering in the 50 to 60 fps all the time. I wouldn't mind some framedrops here and there but this was constant. Honestly I would rather take solid 30 fps. Really hope they fix the issue.

I mean i could see a collection between the GBA and spinoff games.
Would be fun, since it would only be a collection the porting work
would probably not be massive.

But i honestly think they where talking about other dormant IPs.

I mean i could see a collection between the GBA and spinoff games.
Would be fun, since it would only be a collection the porting work
would probably not be massive.

But i honestly think they where talking about other dormant IPs.
For me the translation that is going around it seems specific about Klonoa being the dormant IP

I know it’s easy to get with a JP account, but it’s odd this demo hasn’t come West yet

What I played there was sadly very bad framepacing. Otherwise the game was good, but I don't get why it is this bad performance wise. I may not buy it at launch although I really would like to play these games again.

Edit: It felt like it was hovering in the 50 to 60 fps all the time. I wouldn't mind some framedrops here and there but this was constant. Honestly I would rather take solid 30 fps. Really hope they fix the issue.
Looks like you are right on the money:

Is this game even really coming out in Europe? No Coming Soon listing in eshop, no mention in todays press release.
Limited demo, no physical In some regions, no listings…

big shame to see such a piss-poor rollout for a game which the future of the series hangs on

From user Akumatica on Era... preorder / dlc bonus skins look sick! Pacman, Katamari, Taiko, Wii, Moo

EDIT: looks like the crossover ones may be paid DLC here

Good thing the game is... checks watch out tomorrow and we still can't preorder here in the west!

klonoa_swap.png

klonoa.png

moo.png

Yep, tried to pre order on xbox and the game isnt even listed
I can’t find the physical Xbox version anywhere here in Germany. Only UK based shops like Base and Amazon UK are showing listings (and Netgames, who are selling the UK release too).
These games deserve so much better…

It is now on eshop with the demo in Europe.

Edit: And it have 20€ dlc for some costumes. Awful.

Edit2: Still the same demo with framerate issues. I won't buy before it is fixed.

Last edited:
My copy came today! I'm frustrated that Namco has named this as the big Klonoa return and then messed up the launch. I was lucky they had physical where I live.

Its been about 20 years since I bought Klonoa 2!
c19987a87ec688c01ab36750718d1b18b162ac3b.jpg

It is now on eshop with the demo in Europe.

Edit: And it have 20€ dlc for some costumes. Awful.

Edit2: Still the same demo with framerate issues. I won't buy before it is fixed.

I’m sorry, what? 20 euro for what was a free preorder bonus in JP???

Also, demo build is very unlikely to change regardless. Not to say full game won’t have the issues, but we’ll know soon enough

EDIT: oh that includes the digital art book and soundtrack, so basically the deluxe upgrade. I hope there’s a cheaper option for just costumes.

Last edited:
Never got the confirmation my physical shipped from Play-Asia. The wait will continue, but I'm not in a super rush to play it at the moment so it's fine for now.

can't believe how much bamco has messed up the launch for this collection. and they have the audacity to say its success will help the future of the IP.

Physical was delayed to ... Who knows, here in France.

300 copies, exclusive for Amazon.fr and they botched it.

Where are the GBA games?

#JusticeForGBAGames

I wish I could afford this, anyways!

Back
Top Bottom