• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Kit and Krysta: Nintendo did not expect Breath of the Wild to win at TGA 2017 ( + other TGA Nintendo tidbits)

Nintendo being so much into TGA makes me hopeful for the Metroid series.
Even if it didn't win, Dread getting nominated for GOTY likely means they are definitely not going to drop the (2D) series anytime soon. They do care about the critical acclaim, even if it might not sell much.

They're not going to drop the 2d series as long as mercurysteam want to work on it and the sales are there. The nomination is kind of a distant third in importance.

I’m dubious that Nintendo wasn’t notified in advance before Aonuma and Fujibayashi attended. While some more “serious” award shows like the Oscars are definitely not revealed to winners in advance, the fluffier ones like American Music Awards, VMA’s, etc definitely tell winners in advance so they can secure their attendance. I put TGA in that category in my head but maybe there’s slightly more legitimacy to it than I gave credit for.

I’m dubious that Nintendo wasn’t notified in advance before Aonuma and Fujibayashi attended. While some more “serious” award shows like the Oscars are definitely not revealed to winners in advance, the fluffier ones like American Music Awards, VMA’s, etc definitely tell winners in advance so they can secure their attendance. I put TGA in that category in my head but maybe there’s slightly more legitimacy to it than I gave credit for.
That's kind of a weird statement, just saying you think they're lying because of vibes.

Can we stop with the Metroid could be drop cuz it doesn't sell that much. When Dread, a $60 2d game, outsold every Xenoblades easily and that franchise just got it's 3rd game released on Switch in like 5 years. On top of getting the best post release DLCs support out of all Nintendo games. Come on.
please dont remind people that a >2d< metroid game outsold almost all of the B series on switch except for FE yet, it undoes the general feeling that metroid sells badly/nintendo doesnt pays attention to it

Anyway, yeah im very glad Nintendo actually gives a good shit about TGA (yes it seems only when they have a chance of winning but that's waaaay more than several famiboarders were saying lmao).

Hope that when mp4 gets nominated they also do something cool.

They seem decently invested this year, at least on NoA's side. Clearly the crticial reception for even a lowly sub-90 on Metacritic is something Nintendo are concerned about; as far as core audience titles like Bayonetta or Xenoblade (or Zelda) go. I don't think they're particularly fussed about that family games category they're almost always guaranteed to win; Mario Party and Pokemon aren't really dying for accolades; but titles like these, sure.

Last edited:
Next year will be interesting with Zelda, Final Fantasy and potentially Starfield in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom