• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Kirby Tilt ‘n’ Tumble (GBC), Mystery Tower (NES), Harvest Moon (SNES) and Blaster Master: Enemy Below (GBC) have been added to NSO

Are people just reflexively downvoting any NSO video regardless of the actual games at this point?

Hmm, this update says nothing to me, even if I know getting harvest moon is huge. Somehow I was pretty convinced we would be getting the oracle games this time. Well, another two months of waiting. Now they just need to announce Mario party 3 and June will be totally useless regarding NSO to me.

So if they keep having GBA one month and N64 the next one, it will take approximately 7 months to have Golden Sun (if they stick to the announced list) and 6 months to get a new N64 game not previously announced on past September. I know they have to release games slowly to keep people engaged, but man.

This its the first Harvest Moon right? How good and/or archaic is it? Looking forward to actually playing it, as my rudimentary Japanese was inadequate to make it through the JP version.

It's a bit archaic since it was the very first in the series (and arguably the genre) so it's missing a lot of QoL features, but the charm more than compensates for it. It's still a very good game from graphics to gameplay to music, and it's surprising how much was already in there from the very beginning. Compared to nowdays, it's also kind of a pocket Harvest Moon experience, since the map is quite small and there is a time limit (the game ends after 2,5 years and you get your score and credits roll), so it's short and sweet and a good alternative if you want to dip your feet into the farming genre without having to commit endless hours to it.

HARVEST MOON COMING TO THE WEST MEANS THE N64 ONE WILL ALSO COME TO THE WESTERN N64 SERVICE, YEEEEES.

I was hopeful since we got it pretty late in the Wii U's life, it wasn't that long ago, and there's other Natsume published games in the service, but it's great to finally have confirmation that the Harvest Moon IP is coming to the western service.

Yeah I've never got to play the original Harvest Moon so looking forward to checking it out for sure. There's something just nice and mechanically simple about it, a smaller world with less to do isn't always bad. Sprite work is super charming too. Will probably fire it up for a bit tonight.

I can only presume that Mystery Tower is a previously unreleased localisation that Namco have been sitting on for more than 3 decades (and probably didn’t include in the NamcoT Collection because they wanted to only include the original Japanese Famicom releases).

Pretty cool!
The trademark was filed just last year. Probably a decision on Bandai Namco's part for whatever reason.

Would be nice if whatever patch they used for Mysterious Tower could be put to use for Fire Emblem localizations.

I imagine it's the same process as was used for the FE1 localization.
Which begs the question why that still isn't on the service yet.

As far as we know the original patch wouldn't work under the current emulator, but surely this shows they've addressed that issue.

Which begs the question why that still isn't on the service yet.

As far as we know the original patch wouldn't work under the current emulator, but surely this shows they've addressed that issue.
I mean, it's clear it's not on the service because FE1 was a weird limited-time anniversary eShop release.

FE1 being a limited time release is still one of the most infuriating decisions Nintendo has ever made. Why do you spend that much effort translating a fucking NES game to only sell it for a few months?

FE1 being a limited time release is still one of the most infuriating decisions Nintendo has ever made. Why do you spend that much effort translating a fucking NES game to only sell it for a few months?

That localisation was actually done way back some time between 2014-2015. It was originally made for a Wii U release, before it got cancelled and moved over to Switch (as evidenced by data mining).

Very excited to play Tilt n' Tumble, my white whale.

When I heard that Tilt n' Tumble was first coming out, I was ecstatic, because I was a huge Kirby fan. That is until I learned that it wasn't a traditional platformer. Instead, my Dad went on ebay and tracked down Dream Land 2, which I'm still grateful for. But later as I kept playing Kirby games and found myself enjoying a lot of the spinoffs, I regretted dismissing Tilt n' Tumble out of hand. It wasn't exactly an easy game to emulate.

Anyway, here we are. If I ever find more than 5 minutes of free time, I'm gonna play the shit out of it.

I really want to know what the hold up is on that. It seems so weird because it was such a big deal when it came to the virtual console back in the Wii days.
square is very much its own monster when it comes to this kind of thing. as long as they need to be part of the process for any SMRPG rerelease, it's always going to be a crapshoot whether they've got any incentive to come to the table at the time

That localisation was actually done way back some time between 2014-2015. It was originally made for a Wii U release, before it got cancelled and moved over to Switch (as evidenced by data mining).
I know that, it doesn't change my comment that it's absurd they went to that much effort for a limited time release.

Interesting to note that there isn't a single Square Enix game on NSO. So they likely want something extra for SMRPG.

For the most Square Enix games it makes sense because they love to sell their own collection. Doesn't really make sense for them to sell SMRPG on their own. But still most likely it's just that they for some reason, seem to be quite against this services...? Or just hard to make contracts with them.

For the most Square Enix games it makes sense because they love to sell their own collection. Doesn't really make sense for them to sell SMRPG on their own. But still most likely it's just that they for some reason, seem to be quite against this services...? Or just hard to make contracts with them.
Who knows. Capcom and Konami seem fine with some games like Gargoyle's Quest and Gradius even though they sell a bunch of their own collections. They probably just want more money, considering how a lot of their games are on Game Pass and PS+ Extra.

Even for Nintendo, that was a head scratcher.

Interesting to note that there isn't a single Square Enix game on NSO. So they likely want something extra for SMRPG.
I'm a little surprised that we haven't seen some games from Square Enix at this point. I can understand Final Fantasy, Mana, or even Chrono Trigger (there is no way they are sitting on that game forever without reintroducing it), but Act Raiser is a gem that deserves it's place in the SNES app.

I'm a little surprised that we haven't seen some games from Square Enix at this point. I can understand Final Fantasy, Mana, or even Chrono Trigger (there is no way they are sitting on that game forever without reintroducing it), but Act Raiser is a gem that deserves it's place in the SNES app.
That got a remake

I think that was because of it being a holdover from Wii U, using the Wii U Virtual Console NES emulator (which is inferior to the NSO one) and thus not being up to Nintendo’s current standards. This is an observable trend with many of Nintendo’s limited releases like this—for example, the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador GBA games (running on backwards compatibility, thereby not supporting standard 3DS or even DS features like sleep mode), The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (being DSiWare rather than a native 3DS game after Nintendo had already moved on from releasing DSi software), Super Mario 3D All-Stars (in that the included games were barely touched up and not on par with Nintendo’s other retail rereleases of past games), etc.

Had the game released on Wii U as originally planned, it probably wouldn’t have been limited and instead just a normal Virtual Console release.

Last edited:
They seem completely uninterested in NSO, they have been doing remakes/collections on their own and want to keep it that way.

I just have a bad feeling that Super Mario RPG will never get a rerelease again. I hope that I'm wrong and I'm just overracting.

I get why games such as Chrono Trigger are not on Nintendo Switch Online(Square can make money reselling them), but it's crazy if they can't come to an agreement with Nintendo).

Who knows. Capcom and Konami seem fine with some games like Gargoyle's Quest and Gradius even though they sell a bunch of their own collections. They probably just want more money, considering how a lot of their games are on Game Pass and PS+ Extra.
Maybe they are opposed to the model Nintendo is using with their NSO games, as they seem to be permanent rather than temporary like games on game pass and PS extra are.

Or maybe they are working on a HD-2D remake.

Maybe they are opposed to the model Nintendo is using with their NSO games, as they seem to be permanent rather than temporary like games on game pass and PS extra are.

Or maybe they are working on a HD-2D remake.
I think it just boils down to the usual: cold hard cash. They want more money for their games than Nintendo is willing to spend.

I think SMRPG will still one random day end up on the service, though.

Im so glad they released tilt n tumble, i hope they release the gba motion games, and boktai in my wildest dreams

I figured given that this update is entirely base NSO stuff, that I should post my update to my graphic here, instead of in the thread I usually put these:

LtTHV7s.png

And unless Nintendo throws a curveball at us, it seems we might be now settling into a somewhat consistent rhythm for NSO:
  • NES/Famicom, SNES/SFC and GB/GBC every three months (Months 3/6/9/12)
  • Mega Drive/Genesis every three months (likely imo Months 1/4/7/10)
  • Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Advance alternating monthly
My only gripe is that I'd like another console added on a tri-monthly schedule (Months 2/5/8/11) to make it so that every month gets at least two drops (instead of the occasional month with only one - like May).- maybe TurboGrafx/PC Engine could get added as a NSO+EP bonus come autumn time?

More info on the graphic can be found here.

---

As for the actual NSO drop this time, this is honestly a great NES/SNES/GB drop:
  • Tilt 'n' Tumble, as pre-announced was coming to NSO
  • Blaster Master is always a nice addition, and kind of expected based on the NES original being on for a long time
  • Harvest Moon SNES finally coming to the western NSO apps (it was JP exclusive before) is great, and leads to a promising sign for Harvest Moon 64 being a global release when it comes
  • And another surprise, not just another Namco NES game - but the first release of Tower of Babel outside of Japan, complete with an official English title of Mystery Tower!
  • Finally, to replace Harvest Moon as the SFC/SNES title for Japan, they got Super Ultra Baseball instead - which is the Japanese version of Super Baseball Simulator 1000 which the West already had for two years on NSO.

I played about twenty minutes of Tilt n Tumble. It’s cool. The concept is neat and there’s thirty-two levels (!), but I think I’m tapping out after only six. Controlling Kirby like this is just too unwieldy; it’s so sensitive that Kirby will go shooting off like a rocket at a moment’s notice, but when you want to carefully maneuver, it’s almost impossible. And in the first two worlds I can already see that the frustration levels will be high later on. Even with save states and rewind, I don’t think I want to put myself through that.

I played about twenty minutes of Tilt n Tumble. It’s cool. The concept is neat and there’s thirty-two levels (!), but I think I’m tapping out after only six. Controlling Kirby like this is just too unwieldy; it’s so sensitive that Kirby will go shooting off like a rocket at a moment’s notice, but when you want to carefully maneuver, it’s almost impossible. And in the first two worlds I can already see that the frustration levels will be high later on. Even with save states and rewind, I don’t think I want to put myself through that.
I agree. This is something that could use HD rumble to simulate some tactile feeling as well.

I figured given that this update is entirely base NSO stuff, that I should post my update to my graphic here, instead of in the thread I usually put these:

LtTHV7s.png

And unless Nintendo throws a curveball at us, it seems we might be now settling into a somewhat consistent rhythm for NSO:
  • NES/Famicom, SNES/SFC and GB/GBC every three months (Months 3/6/9/12)
  • Mega Drive/Genesis every three months (likely imo Months 1/4/7/10)
  • Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Advance alternating monthly
My only gripe is that I'd like another console added on a tri-monthly schedule (Months 2/5/8/11) to make it so that every month gets at least two drops (instead of the occasional month with only one - like May).- maybe TurboGrafx/PC Engine could get added as a NSO+EP bonus come autumn time?

More info on the graphic can be found here.

---

As for the actual NSO drop this time, this is honestly a great NES/SNES/GB drop:
  • Tilt 'n' Tumble, as pre-announced was coming to NSO
  • Blaster Master is always a nice addition, and kind of expected based on the NES original being on for a long time
  • Harvest Moon SNES finally coming to the western NSO apps (it was JP exclusive before) is great, and leads to a promising sign for Harvest Moon 64 being a global release when it comes
  • And another surprise, not just another Namco NES game - but the first release of Tower of Babel outside of Japan, complete with an official English title of Mystery Tower!
  • Finally, to replace Harvest Moon as the SFC/SNES title for Japan, they got Super Ultra Baseball instead - which is the Japanese version of Super Baseball Simulator 1000 which the West already had for two years on NSO.
So you are telling me Golden Sun comes next month?

...please?

It's a bit archaic since it was the very first in the series (and arguably the genre) so it's missing a lot of QoL features, but the charm more than compensates for it. It's still a very good game from graphics to gameplay to music, and it's surprising how much was already in there from the very beginning. Compared to nowdays, it's also kind of a pocket Harvest Moon experience, since the map is quite small and there is a time limit (the game ends after 2,5 years and you get your score and credits roll), so it's short and sweet and a good alternative if you want to dip your feet into the farming genre without having to commit endless hours to it.
I mentioned this to my girlfriend and she was mildly intrigued by the premise after falling off SV and a half dozen farms later, so I think this might be a nice little hold over until the next update. I never got far into my first attempt when I played on Wii U but I'll definitely give this a go before long!

I really want to know what the hold up is on that. It seems so weird because it was such a big deal when it came to the virtual console back in the Wii days.
100% the Holdup is Square Enix, who own part of the rights to Super Mario RPG.

For reference, the number of SE owned games on NSO is a grand total of ZERO.

Kinda wish we had gotten the Oracle games instead, but oh well. Guess I can wait for however many months they plan on dragging this out.

It’s cool to see Tilt and Tumble, and I know the Game Boy was basically a Kirby console, but having a Kirby game headline two drops in a row is pretty meh.

Back
Top Bottom