• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe |ST| New Magolor Modes

It's a very underrated addition for the multiplayer to allow everyone to play as Kirby. My kids were never super interested in Forgotten Land multiplayer because playing as boring Bandana Dee with his four spear moves sucks when the other person gets to be Kirby with all the fun powers. Now we're all Kirby and it's chaos but so much more fun, my kids are really engaging with it.

I really want to pick this up at some point, but Octopath and LaD Ishin took priority and those will keep me busy for a while

I'll have to grab it with a voucher once I find time to squeeze it in

I finished the main campaign and enjoyed it much more overall than on Wii. Feels way more tight than I remember.

I moved right into Magolor’s epilogue and this was awesome! He has a lot of different moves that you feel well encouraged to explore over his campaign, not just in the challenge rooms. The final boss is incredible too, I really dug it a lot. I did go back afterwards and Platinumed all the levels and bosses.

I think with that I’m done with Kirby’s RTD Deluxe. I’m not super interested right now anyway in doing a hard mode run, 100%ing the sub games, or doing the arena. I had a great time though and I’m really glad I picked it up. Hope we see more things made from Nintendo like Magolor’s episode. While it’s not quite Bowser’s Fury tier in suggesting a future vision for the series, this was just a great, small scale adventure.

Just finished Magalor Epilogue, that was really good. Much, much better than what I thought when it was initially revealed.

Kinda crazy though that after Dedede adventure in Triple Deluxe, Meta Knight adventure in Planet Robobot, Forgotten Land was the obvious game to give Bandana his own side adventure, with him being Kirby's sidekick in this game and even being player's 2 character... But HAL said nah, but let's make a cool ass Magalor side mode in RtDL Deluxe though lmao.

Still weird that Bandana is playable in FL but you just can't play him if you don't have someone else to play with, what a missed opportunity !

Holy shit the final boss in Magolor Epilogue was a huge pain in the ass

Fun subgame though

Just finished Magalor Epilogue, that was really good. Much, much better than what I thought when it was initially revealed.

Kinda crazy though that after Dedede adventure in Triple Deluxe, Meta Knight adventure in Planet Robobot, Forgotten Land was the obvious game to give Bandana his own side adventure, with him being Kirby's sidekick in this game and even being player's 2 character... But HAL said nah, but let's make a cool ass Magalor side mode in RtDL Deluxe though lmao.

Still weird that Bandana is playable in FL but you just can't play him if you don't have someone else to play with, what a missed opportunity !
Not having Bandee take on his own campaign in FL was such a misfire. No idea how that didn't materialize, even as DLC.

I've been pretty quiet about the game in the thread, but don't take that negatively - my partner and I have thoroughly enjoyed our time revisiting this one. My thoughts from earlier in the thread still stand, this is a very solid co-op Kirby experience and one that I enjoyed more than Star Allies. It's not as ambitious as the 3DS titles, but this was the return to form console game the series needed in 2011 and it's even better now with the updated visuals and new abilities. Not to mention Merry Magoland.

Partner and I have done The Arena and we've started the Magolor Epilogue. Getting the Platinum on that first boss is tough! I gotta go back with some more upgrades...

Should chime in that I've been playing this as well and really love it. My hot take is that Shinya Kumazaki is the best Kirby director because the dude is clearly obsessed with boss battles and ever more difficult versions of boss battles. I absolutely love plumbing his games for those deep super-boss challenges and Return to Dream Land Deluxe is definitely up there with his other works in offering a ton of 'em. 20+ hours of this friggin' game and going strong!

Is this regarded as one of the best Kirby games? I really like Kirby and I’m struggling to think of more than one or two that is just as fluid and fun as this one. Great overall package of a game.

Having just finished it, if anyone else is interested in the requirements for 100% or "true 100%," here they are. Feel free to let me know if I forgot to list anything.

• Story Mode
    • Clear all levels and collect all Energy Spheres
    • Clear all Challenge Stages
  • Extra Mode
  • Magolor Epilogue
    • Clear all stages with at least a gold medal
    • Clear the Extra Stage
  • Arenas
    • Clear The Arena
    • Clear The True Arena
  • Merry Magoland
    • Clear 100 missions
  • Story Mode
    • Clear all Challenge Stages with a platinum medal
  • Extra Mode
  • Magolor Epilogue
    • Clear all stages with a platinum medal
    • Clear the Extra Stage
    • Clear the Secret Stage
    • Max out all abilities
  • Arenas
    • Clear The Arena
    • Clear The True Arena
  • Merry Magoland
    • Clear 100 missions (note: clearing the mission to complete 50 Stamp Rally cards means you'll have all the masks unlocked too)
    • Clear 20 extra missions
  • Complete Jukebox
    • Visit each HAL Room (3 in Story or Extra Mode, one in Magolor Epilogue) and clear the stage
    • Clear stage 5-5 in Nutty Noon after taking the secret higher entrance in both Story and Extra Modes

Fq-RTLWagAAP1qC.jpg:orig

I think the easiest way to be sure you did everything is having the gold star on the Jukebox (since that encompasses other challenges like 100% file completion, 120 Magoland missions, etc.) and having all the platinum medals in Story Mode, Extra Mode, and Magolor Epilogue (which aren't tracked/listed anywhere other than on the stages themselves).

Having just finished it, if anyone else is interested in the requirements for 100% or "true 100%," here they are. Feel free to let me know if I forgot to list anything.

• Story Mode
  • Extra Mode
  • Magolor Epilogue
    • Clear the Extra Stage
  • Arenas
    • Clear The Arena
    • Clear The True Arena
  • Merry Magoland
    • Clear 100 missions
  • Story Mode
  • Extra Mode
  • Magolor Epilogue
    • Clear the Extra Stage
    • Clear the Secret Stage
    • Max out all abilities
  • Arenas
    • Clear The Arena
    • Clear The True Arena
  • Merry Magoland
    • Clear 100 missions (note: clearing the mission to complete 50 Stamp Rally cards means you'll have all the masks unlocked too)
  • Complete Jukebox
    • Visit each HAL Room (3 in Story or Extra Mode, one in Magolor Epilogue) and clear the stage
    • Clear stage 5-5 in Nutty Noon after taking the secret higher entrance in both Story and Extra Modes

I think the easiest way to be sure you did everything is having the gold star on the Jukebox (since that encompasses other challenges like 100% file completion, 120 Magoland missions, etc.) and having all the platinum medals in Story Mode, Extra Mode, and Magolor Epilogue (which aren't tracked/listed anywhere other than on the stages themselves).
I’ve done all of this except the Platinum medals for the Story/Extra Mode missions… I made sure to get Gold on all of them at least, but I didn’t even get a single Platinum after all of my attempts! I don’t think I got around to doing much of the missions back on Wii, so the difficulty of these came as a huge surprise to me. These have to be the most challenging thing to complete in any Kirby game to date, right?? I feel like you need to be a legitimate speedrunner to get these Platinum medals…

I’ve done all of this except the Platinum medals for the Story/Extra Mode missions… I made sure to get Gold on all of them at least, but I didn’t even get a single Platinum after all of my attempts! I don’t think I got around to doing much of the missions back on Wii, so the difficulty of these came as a huge surprise to me. These have to be the most challenging thing to complete in any Kirby game to date, right?? I feel like you need to be a legitimate speedrunner to get these Platinum medals…
AFAIK only a few of them have super tight time requirements, and the rest will give you platinum as long as you get the big bonuses from defeating every enemy, collecting every coin, and finishing with at least 30 seconds left. Which is hard enough! They're definitely some of the toughest content and can make Kirby's controls in this game feel frustrating at times.

AFAIK only a few of them have super tight time requirements, and the rest will give you platinum as long as you get the big bonuses from defeating every enemy, collecting every coin, and finishing with at least 30 seconds left. Which is hard enough! They're definitely some of the toughest content and can make Kirby's controls in this game feel frustrating at times.
I just have no idea how I’m supposed to reduce my times enough to get Platinum! I did make sure to beat every enemy and collect every coin (including hidden rooms) in every challenge, after many runs, yet somehow none of my attempts were good enough to get Platinum, and I don’t see how I can shave off much extra time unless I were to dedicate a ton of time perfecting each run…so literally speedrunning, essentially.

Quoted by: LiC
I just have no idea how I’m supposed to reduce my times enough to get Platinum! I did make sure to beat every enemy and collect every coin (including hidden rooms) in every challenge, after many runs, yet somehow none of my attempts were good enough to get Platinum, and I don’t see how I can shave off much extra time unless I were to dedicate a ton of time perfecting each run…so literally speedrunning, essentially.
You can always look up a run through on YouTube to see what the best moves are to plow through enemies without slowing down.

Quoted by: Tye
You can always look up a run through on YouTube to see what the best moves are to plow through enemies without slowing down.
I did this for a couple of them and still couldn’t get Platinum! 😭 Granted I didn’t keep trying and trying after getting Gold because I was wanting to just get on with completing Story/Extra Mode at the time…

I finished the main campaign and enjoyed it much more overall than on Wii. Feels way more tight than I remember.

I moved right into Magolor’s epilogue and this was awesome! He has a lot of different moves that you feel well encouraged to explore over his campaign, not just in the challenge rooms. The final boss is incredible too, I really dug it a lot. I did go back afterwards and Platinumed all the levels and bosses.

I think with that I’m done with Kirby’s RTD Deluxe. I’m not super interested right now anyway in doing a hard mode run, 100%ing the sub games, or doing the arena. I had a great time though and I’m really glad I picked it up. Hope we see more things made from Nintendo like Magolor’s episode. While it’s not quite Bowser’s Fury tier in suggesting a future vision for the series, this was just a great, small scale adventure.
I can echo essentially all of this, minus Platinuming Magolor's Epilogue's levels since I didn't do that. This game ultimately impressed and surprised me, as I didn't have super fond memories of it on Wii. Something about the moment-to-moment gameplay felt better than I remember, too.

If someone wanted to buy a 2D Kirby game for Switch, I'd likely recommend this game over Star Allies. I consider it a very complete package. I have this feeling that Kirby's releases on Switch have just gotten better and built on each other. That's not to say "RTDLD > FL", but this remaster really did impress me with its scope.

Last thought: Kirby keeps flirting with RPG mechanics but never strays too far from the main Kirby action-platformer genre principles. I think Magolor's Epilogue is the latest example, having what essentially amounts to experience points and a skill tree. I was even grinding to level up Magolor faster. I'm wondering if we're going to continue seeing this and if we'll ever get a Kirby RPG spin-off that fully embraces the principles of that genre and moves away from stage-based platforming. Perhaps with an open world or an overworld connecting areas of interest? Towns? Character levels? A party? I also wonder how long it will be until a Kirby spin-off takes inspiration from roguelites, as I feel like that's a real possibility for a future eShop game.

Last edited:
If someone wanted to buy a 2D Kirby game for Switch, I'd likely recommend this game over Star Allies. I consider it a very complete package. I have this feeling that Kirby's releases on Switch have just gotten better and built on each other. That's not to say "RTDLD > FL", but this remaster really did impress me with its scope.
It's way better than Star Allies, I don't think it's even close. RTDL DX is one of the best 2D Kirby games and Star Allies is one of the worst.

Yeah “True 100%” is definitely not happening for me. I got golds on the challenge missions and maybe even one platinum but Kirby is just not a tight enough playing game to reliably execute perfect runs. Also doubt I could do all of the extra Magoland missions, specially for that egg catching game.

Really enjoyed doing everything else though. The True Arena is so hype!

I've been playing this game, and it's such a joy to remember what a good Kirby game is like with both good level design and good ability mechanics.

Star Allies only has good abilities (the best ability mechanics in the series IMO), while Forgotten Land only has good level design, so I think both are missing major aspects from one another. I just hope the next original Kirby game won't settle for one or the other.

• Story Mode
  • Extra Mode
  • Magolor Epilogue
    • Clear the Extra Stage
  • Arenas
    • Clear The Arena
    • Clear The True Arena
  • Merry Magoland
    • Clear 100 missions
  • Story Mode
  • Extra Mode
  • Magolor Epilogue
    • Clear the Extra Stage
    • Clear the Secret Stage
    • Max out all abilities
  • Arenas
    • Clear The Arena
    • Clear The True Arena
  • Merry Magoland
  • Complete Jukebox

Oh, also, some other things that could be added to “True 100%” is getting 99 1-Ups in Story and Extra Modes since it’ll give you a crown icon for that, and also maxing out your Stamp Rally cards at 99 since that also gives you a crown icon.

Finished extra mode and magolor epilogue today. I gotta say, the Magolor stuff was really cool! Great to see Hal/vanpool playing around with new mechanics like rpg-lite progression in Kirby. There was something really neat about starting a Kirby game without infinite jumps. I got platinum on every stage and gold on every boss.

All that's left for my 100% is the true arena. I'm a little scared of all the ex bosses, but I beat SSU true arena a year ago so I think I'm prepared!

Back
Top Bottom