• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Kingdom Hearts IV Announced, Set In Quadratum, And More!

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
New projects for the 20th Anniversary of Kingdom Hearts!

Looks hype!! I’ll add details as they come :)

Union X Dark Road - Xehanort’s mobile game “final chapter” update coming in August.

Missing Link - New action game on phones, closed beta in 2022, follows events of Union Cross. Brain is there.

Fans can also look forward to KINGDOM HEARTS Missing-Link, an all-new game for iOS and Android devices, which allows players to embark on adventures from the realm of Scala ad Caelum into the real world. Players will be able to engage in exhilarating battles against the Heartless and discover a new, original story. A closed beta test is planned for 2022*.

Kingdom Hearts IV - follows events from Kingdom Hearts III’s Secret Ending, ReMind, and Melody of Memory. Sora is in the world of Unreality, aka Quadratum.

In the announcement trailer, Sora makes a triumphant return with an updated look at the beginning of an epic new storyline titled the “Lost Master Arc.” Beginning with Sora facing off in a boss battle against a giant enemy, players are introduced to the Quadratum, a large, expansive city set in a gorgeous, realistic world unlike anything ever seen before in the KINGDOM HEARTS series. Fans will be excited to see the return of Sora’s well-known companions Donald and Goofy, in addition to the first appearance of Strelitzia, a mysterious new character who appears before Sora in this strange new setting.

Statement from Nomura. Looks like all we are getting today is the trailers. Still lots to discuss!

Short version of how we got here in the story that I’ll throw behind spoiler text: In order to defeat Xehanort once and for all and make sure none of his friends died, Sora abused the time travel powers he got, the power of waking, which causes him to get erased from existence. He wakes up in this world that looks a lot like real world Japan. All of his friends have been looking for him for a year with no luck. Kairi was in a coma the whole time. No really, that part was lame. Anyway they figured out Sora was in Quadratum so Riku heads off to rescue him. Mickey Mouse is sent by Yen Sid to investigate Scala Ad Caelum.

Looks like we got some more info after all! The press release has screenshots (all from the trailers) and other brief info. I added in the relevant bits above.

Very excited for Kingdom Hearts IV :)

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of positive reactions from everyone so I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I'm not 100% for the new look. Kingdom hearts is supposed to be Final Fantasy x Disney so the colorful/ pixar movie look always suited it with its wacky storyline and disney characters. Happy a new game announced though so hopefully it grows on me.

I've seen a lot of positive reactions from everyone so I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I'm not 100% for the new look. Kingdom hearts is supposed to be Final Fantasy x Disney so the colorful/ pixar movie look always suited it with its wacky storyline and disney characters. Happy a new game announced though so hopefully it grows on me.
I mean Disney is also Marvel and Star Wars etc now and those would look more natural in a more realistic style, I could see those IPs being used now. Either way I think it looks pretty good (Donald and Goofy look great at the very least), but this won't be on shelves till like 2024 if I had to guess.

I mean Disney is also Marvel and Star Wars etc now and those would look more natural in a more realistic style, I could see those IPs being used now. Either way I think it looks pretty good (Donald and Goofy look great at the very least), but this won't be on shelves till like 2024 if I had to guess.
They juts announced the trailer is in UE4 but the game is switch to UE5, also they ended it off with magic is being made. Holiday 2024 is the earliest I can see it coming out, more likely in 2025 or 2026 tbh

They juts announced the trailer is in UE4 but the game is switch to UE5, also they ended it off with magic is being made. Holiday 2024 is the earliest I can see it coming out, more likely in 2025 or 2026 tbh
Yeah 2025+ wouldn't surprise me either. They pretty much said it's not gonna be at any events either for a while.

Love it, love everything about it. I guess I'm in the minority but I thought KH3 was fantastic. This is the series that got me into this stupid hobby in the first place so I'm always excited to get more KH.

KH3 certainly had different art styles for different worlds (Pirates looked much more realistic and grounded etc...) so the fact Quadratum looks like this wouldn't necessarily preclude other more cartoony styles, but I think it makes a ton of sense for Disney to focus on Marvel and Star Wars this time (and maybe slightly more grounded Pixar/Disney stuff like Raya & Moana) + more Square/FF stuff - so interesting to see what comes of it, but obviously they're probably only a year or so into dev

See, this just makes me wish Square put the Kingdom Hearts games on Switch natively, maybe with the next system they will release them and I may very well play through the series leading to this.

ECXOVBoWwAAicLS.jpg

GOAT

I'm torn.. this is hella impressive looking but I still like my vidyagames to look like they're just that.. :p

Listen, I've never liked Kingdom Hearts, but I thought the vibe was charming.

So with that in mind: holy shit the new art direction is dreadful.

The artistic direction is pretty awful so far, but that has always been one of KH strengths so I have no doubt the teams will tweak that before the release in many years. Trust them to deliver a quality game as always.

I try not to hype me too much, but holy shit KH IV is announced ! Didn’t expected it to be so soon

This is not releasing until 2026 or latter so they will have a ton of time to improve the game, Sora being so realistic is something I don’t like feels weird but having some realistic worlds to bring more variety (and also because it fits more in case of Marvel/Star Wars worlds) could be great imo.

I liked what I saw, and the graphics look really good. Regarding color patterns, there will probably be more worlds with different vibes.
And calling it now being overly optimistic, release in 2024. PS5 only probably.

Also, I'm glad the clown shoes are gone.

I really really hope this "KH... but in the real world" thing is temporary. Because it's just not clicking with me at all. I've played most of the games up to KH3 and this is is the first time where I'm feeling like maybe they should've put this series on hold for a while after concluding the Xehanort arc.

Also this once again feels like the sort of thing where it's easily 2-3 years out and quite possibly gets delayed into the next generation.

I liked what I saw, and the graphics look really good. Regarding color patterns, there will probably be more worlds with different vibes.
And calling it now being overly optimistic, release in 2024. PS5 only probably.

Also, I'm glad the clown shoes are gone.
I’m feeling 2024 as well, though for both PS5 and Xbox SX (provided a timed exclusive deal didn’t happen). It’s been a while now since ReMind, but 2023 certainly belongs to Missing Link and KH4 looks very complex.

I’m also glad Sora lost his shoes and had to get new ones. Still looks a bit goofy in his KH3 outfit in the city though lol. I’m sure early on in the adventure he’ll get some brand new clothes as is tradition that’ll fit in more.

I really really hope this "KH... but in the real world" thing is temporary. Because it's just not clicking with me at all. I've played most of the games up to KH3 and this is is the first time where I'm feeling like maybe they should've put this series on hold for a while after concluding the Xehanort arc.

Also this once again feels like the sort of thing where it's easily 2-3 years out and quite possibly gets delayed into the next generation.
There might be art shifts to make Sora more cartoony, but the game looks to be like this given the open world

What about that other game in the Nvidia Leak? They're really gonna have the full sequel after nothing but a rhythm game in between? Unusual.

Screenshot_2022-04-10-14-57-56-318_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

FP-z6nKXEAUGaJs.jpg

The forest world is an Star Wars World (up right, is an AT leg)

And the realistic desing of the characters is strange and anticlimatic, i dont like the trailer and how the game and gameplay looks

Screenshot_2022-04-10-14-57-56-318_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

FP-z6nKXEAUGaJs.jpg

The forest world is an Star Wars World (up right, is an AT leg)

And the realistic desing of the characters is strange and anticlimatic, i dont like the trailer and how the game and gameplay looks

I wanted to say that's a stretch but it really looks similar.

I do think they have potentially really cool ideas they are working with in this shift with “unreality” and “fictional worlds.” Whether that means incorporating more live action universes, Final Fantasy / Square universes, or what I’m most interested in, true what if worlds, or a mix of those ideas remains to be seen, but there’s a lot of potential regardless. We also still have most of the heroes still hanging out in normal Kingdom Hearts land if they want to go back to the usual stuff which I hope we do get also (A Zootopia world in KH3’s more open style would be so cool!).

Also I’m a huge Versus XIII fan, so whatever vehicle Nomura wants to use to make that happen as he drags Square and Disney along for the ride certainly won’t be boring :)

I hate everything about this :(

I love the colorful cartoony and anime look of KH and not what this looked like. I wish game devs would stop feeling as if everything needs to be uncanny valley realistic :(

I hate everything about this :(

I love the colorful cartoony and anime look of KH and not what this looked like. I wish game devs would stop feeling as if everything needs to be uncanny valley realistic :(

Its KH, they change art style for each world lol. I really want a world based on Coco now.

Its KH, they change art style for each world lol. I really want a world based on Coco now.
the problem is it seems we're in one world (as an open world?). there may be art shifts though, but we'll be getting not-final fantasy sora for the bulk

My favorite part of the official announcement of Kingdom Hearts IV, besides seeing Quadratum in gameplay, is that Quadratum and Yozora talk don’t have to be hidden behind spoiler tags now. They are just openly part of the premise and are free to be discussed.

Having been REALLY let down by Kingdom Hearts 3, I strangely have a lot of faith in a Kingdom Hearts game that distances itself from most of the previous plot points.

My gut tells me it won't distance itself which would be foolish, but still. I liked what I saw and it felt fresh.

Absolutely weirding me the fuck out

Better be some normal Kingdom Hearts worlds in there, because I'm getting some major uncanny valley over here

I really hope they add more traditional hand drawn films to this one like Jungle Book, Princess and the Frog, and Treasure Planet. I loved KH 3, but I hated they completely skipped that era of Disney.

I also want to see Marry Poppins, the GOAT film.

I'm down for whatever when it comes to Kingdom Hearts, honestly. I have the utmost faith in Nomura and the gang to deliver something ridiculous.

Unless they add Marvel shit, in which case I'm not buying it.

I'm down for whatever when it comes to Kingdom Hearts, honestly. I have the utmost faith in Nomura and the gang to deliver something ridiculous.

Star Wars is in. run from it, dread it. Marvel arrives all the same

Give Nomura less projects and an Engine thats not difficult im sure he can deliver. Luminous is a great engine but it requires much more work in the pipeline once KH3 switched UE it was pretty smooth. and if all he is working on is this and FF7 Remake series which has alot of other high level people it should all go good dev time wise.

You're gonna have Iron Man and Donald Duck in your party and you're gonna like it.

Fuck it. Gimme Sora fighting Darth Vader. It'll be the coolest shit around.

I don't have too many expectations yet. It's definitely many years off - which is fine, I gotta actually beat KH3. But I'm intrigued. My boy Sora better reunite with Donald and Goofy sooner rather than later.

What I'm thinking about the most is, actually, the Donald and Goofy scene at the end. I wanna see where that goes.

Very Exciting thing to wake up to lol. Definitely gives me Versus XIII vibes for sure.

Realistic Sora is gonna take some getting used to though lmao

Disney movies that would like to see

• Finding Nemo (2003, Pixar)
  • Star Wars (1977, Lucasfilm)
  • Marvels’s The Avengers (2012, Marvel)
  • Princess and the Frog (2009, Disney Animated)
  • Moana (2016, Disney Animated)
  • Raya and the Last Dragon (2021, Disney Animated)
  • 2 Disney Animated movie world previously featured on past KH titles. Preferable from their 90’s era

This is trying to have diversity on settings and 2 movies from 90’s, 2 from 00’s, 2 from 10’s, 1 from 70/80’s and 20’s

Is it typical for a KH trailer to feature basically nothing of the Disney portions? The boring grey city art style doesn’t do it for me and seeing how Disney has become increasingly more draconian with their rules of how you can portray any of their IPs I’m kind of nervous we might get something like boring grey open world city with sections of vague Disneyfied areas

Back
Top Bottom