• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Is Metroid Dread the Dark Souls of the Metroid Series?

Git Gud?

• Yes

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 17.4%
  • Fuck Off

Votes: 77 70.6%

• Total voters
It's one of the hardest metroid games. But it depends on the player, ngl the extremely fast gameplay did kept me on my toes and i still need to beat that final boss.

It is fair hard difficulity tho, because just like souls games if you learn the boss patterns and be patient and carefull & get into a rhythm youll succeed.

Dark souls has metroid and castlevania dna afterall its just really well realized in 3d. Wich makes them so good. Kinda the prime games of the metroidvania genre.

Apart from the entire thing of comparing challenging games to dark souls being tiring by now, I'm pretty sure Samus Returns was harder than Dread.

I thought Dread was harder than any Souls game till the controls finally clicked with me. Playing a 2d game with the analog stick really fucked with my head for some reason lol.

Everytime I see someone saying something bad about a "boomer" thing:

iron-man-rolls-eyes.gif

(and no, I'm not a boomer, but Contra is awesome)

Quoted by: SiG
Can we have “fuck off” be the “Thor 2 dark world” stock joke answer on every poll on this website going forward

Always kind of annoys me when I see people associate Dark Souls purely as something "hard". Dark Souls isn't really a "hard" game. No it's not one you'll breeze through easily, no one does. Part of the point is things like using the messages to work with other players to get through the game. An example is in the sewers, people putting "beware of up" where the slimes will fall down on you from the ceiling. The cycle of dying and respawning at a bonfire is part of the challenge, but you don't often hear about many people quitting Dark Souls because it was too hard. How many times have you ever heard that happening about Dark Souls? Probably not many. I have not played Sekiro, but I HAVE heard it happen with that game as people seem to consider it a lot more challenging. "You're going to die a lot" doesn't make it like Dark Souls. Those games have their own unique gameplay, mainly the idea of sharing information with other players online via in-game messaging, summoning for assistance, invasion, etc.

On the topic at hand, Metroid Dread is not a "Dark Souls" of Metroid. It's probably a more challenging Metroid game than most in the series, but it's one that's very doable. When you die, you don't start too far back, and I think this is what keeps the EMMI sections from getting annoying. You know what mistakes not to make (or not panic at least).

tl;dr: A challenging game != A "Souls" game

Over 2/3 of respondents voting "Fuck Off' means this is the most secure and accurate election and the correct answer is winning.

Putting “fuck off” as a joke answer on polls was an Era thing?
Never mind. Misread your initial post. I'm not opposed to joke answers on polls, as long as it isn't Thor 2 The Dark World. Needs to be Chibi Robo Zip Lash or something.

While I do find Dread to be difficult, I also find it ‘fun to play’ and ‘a good video game’.

So I don’t think the comparison really fits.

Just no.

It's true that the bosses are pretty hard, and probably unexpectedly hard for newcomers, but that's how Metroid games work.

Probably the final boss is extremely hard in normal mode, but I wouldn't say the game is hard just because of this.

Samus Returns is only harder because it's on a tiny screen with shitty 3DS controls, gave me hand pain. They didn't really think about the user experience with that one.
While controls weren't super, when you compare for example Diggernaut to
the experiment X in cataris (I think both of em are about the same time into the game, so they're pretty comparable)
the latter is way easier imo

How many bosses are in this game btw, not counting the mini bossss

I think I’ve died more to mini bosses than the regular bosses

While controls weren't super, when you compare for example Diggernaut to
the experiment X in cataris (I think both of em are about the same time into the game, so they're pretty comparable)
the latter is way easier imo

I honestly found the Diggernaut easier, felt like it had more breathing room between attacks, and it was pretty tedious. Tediousness was a problem for 3DS Returns in general, Dread is definitely a step up in every way. Returns might feel like it's a harder game, but whether that's for good reasons is debatable.

I think Dread offers very challenging bosses with a much better user experience.

Kraid was hard but not in a cheese whiz way and solving the encounter relies on basic old school pattern recognition / memorization. The series has far harder and more frustrating bosses than that, like Nightmare from Fusion or most of the new bosses that were added in Samus Returns for instance.

tl;dr: A challenging game != A "Souls" game

Thank you! I loathe the fact that just because one franchise decided it was going to go against design trends of the time by not pulling its punches and people realized they liked it when games step on them, so now everything under the sun gets compared to it.... when games have been doing that for a very long time. Call me a boomer but Dark Souls did not invent difficulty.

It's actually the Mega Man Zero of the Metroid series.

I'm ok with this

Everytime I see someone saying something bad about a "boomer" thing:

iron-man-rolls-eyes.gif

(and no, I'm not a boomer, but Contra is awesome)
If Samus was a "boomer", it would be because she has a literal canon for an arm...blasting these things:

And for the record, wouldn't the original Metroid still be the hardest due to it's design? Even with the save system on the original FDS, the game could be quite unforgiving.

I feel like it's more accurately akin to Metal Gear Rising, where you get skill checked earlier in the game and learn mashing buttons isn't going to work.

Back
Top Bottom