• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour [Insider Gaming] PS5 Pro is in development and could release next year.

look Iā€™ve always thought the arms race approach was somewhat absurd, so maybe I donā€™t know what Iā€™m talking about

but literallyā€¦ why?

for what?

there are so few games that even scratch the headroom of this machine, and theyā€™re banking on a fancyboy version of it?

I donā€™t doubt itā€™ll sell to the kind of person who always wants to be 100 steps ahead butā€¦ surely charging headlong into power has to have reasonable pause and reason to exist ā€” from a game design perspective at least? or

ehh idk I canā€™t entirely articulate it

it feels like the sort of ambling speculative tech bound to burst, and it seems the most removed from function itā€™s ever been

Would be a longer gap than between the PS4 and PS4 Pro release if it releases late next year, no? Unnecessary because the PS5's specs have barely been utilized though but it wouldn't be that shocking to me.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Sony had a Pro on their development road map slated for next year, but I also have to imagine that road map was conceived prior to the pandemic and parts shortages completely upending console supply and game development for the past few years.

Do I need to upgrade? 99% likely no

Will I buy the damn thing? 99% likely yes

look Iā€™ve always thought the arms race approach was somewhat absurd, so maybe I donā€™t know what Iā€™m talking about

but literallyā€¦ why?

for what?

there are so few games that even scratch the headroom of this machine, and theyā€™re banking on a fancyboy version of it?

I donā€™t doubt itā€™ll sell to the kind of person who always wants to be 100 steps ahead butā€¦ surely charging headlong into power has to have reasonable pause and reason to exist ā€” from a game design perspective at least? or

ehh idk I canā€™t entirely articulate it

it feels like the sort of ambling speculative tech bound to burst, and it seems the most removed from function itā€™s ever been
This is Sony and they rely on the gamers that want the next new more power tech. Just see the above post I quoted.

HOW? That's my big question. PS4 Pro was possible because they could take the 28nm chip and shrink it to 16nm. That let them make the slim and then double the chip size for the Pro without having to spend more electricity or too much more money.

But PS5 is on 7nm already. There is only one jump left, 5nm. I just don't see how they do it.

I have to imagine this is more of a hardware refresh than a significant bump in power.

It seems like a misguided business decision given the price and availability of the existing PS5, but I'm sure there are folks that will jump for it.

If this actually happens I'll definitely be sitting out PS6 for a Pro.

Look i know it sounds like a troll thing to say, but seriously, make games first.

Sony's pipeline has been better than early PS4 for sure, but I can still count the amount of PS games I want on one hand.

I donā€™t have a PS5 yet, maybe a Pro will entice me.
This is what the PS4 Pro taught me- they will (hopefully) make at least eight or ten games to justify my purchase around the time a "pro" variant emerges.

Then again, I'm not someone who's ever really been a day-one-or-bust kind of person.

This generation feels like it's barely even started yet. Please don't release a PS5 Pro already. Sheesh.
Late 2024 would be a year longer than it took them to release PS4 Pro.
I don't believe this. It would be completely pointless. We've barely even tapped into the base model yet, and its specs definitely don't necessitate an upgrade
There's less reason for it to exist, but in their position maybe I'm thinking that if I'm ever going to release a new model, 4 years into a planned 8 years generation makes sense for whatever can be done.

It would be weird.

It seems that there are very few games out for this generation that really use the PS5 hardware to its full potential.

Anyway, I hope they keep releasing their games on PC then I won't have to worry about extra hardware. I don't have a regular PS5 yet.

I use my PS5 with a 1080p TV, so i kinda doubt that a Pro would benefit me in any way.
Don't have a PS5 yet, but a redesign would be very welcome. If it's a "pro" - version, even better.
The price though...

Wouldn't be better to exploit the actual programming power at full, before jumping into the "pro" train, Sony? 'cause so far the next gen hans't been SO NEXT imho
Yeah this, I still haven't seen anything in next gen worthy of the "next gen" monicker. I'd say we're still in the "late cross-gen" period.

And people will find good excuses to justify the potential 650 / 700 ā‚¬ price tag for this massive suppository that shouldn't exist yet.

Since they can afford 1150 ā‚¬ smartphones that will be considered obsolete next year so they have to buy the new one sold 1250 ā‚¬ (my ex did this for two years while complaining about his savings, this shit is real).

Maybe Sony needs another PS3 launch situation with everyone mocking the price of their stupid console with 0 games because if not they can really (PEGI 18) the (RATED O for OH LA LA) off with this (Switch redacted).

you could literally count the amount of games made from the ground up for next gen hardware on your hands and itā€™s year 3. And now they want to go pro? Why? To play ps4 games at 240 FPS??

I could perhaps see a PS5 Pro happening as a "it can ray trace for real this time" thing, but I still have some doubts as to whether such a system could really differentiate enough to justify existing. They're almost certainly not going to have the hardware to even attempt to claim "8k for real this time".

What even would be the point if true.

Unless they are just calling the PS5 Slim/32X revision the Pro for clicks.

Not sure how much I buy this despite Tom Henderson typically being good with Playstation scoops.

If true, though, I imagine the "slim" we see this year gets sold at a lower price and the "pro" next year will just take the current price.

I still havenā€™t consistently seen PS5 available in stores. I was waiting for a Slim model as the current model wonā€™t fit in my TV stand, but I wouldnā€™t say no to a Pro model.

HOW? That's my big question. PS4 Pro was possible because they could take the 28nm chip and shrink it to 16nm. That let them make the slim and then double the chip size for the Pro without having to spend more electricity or too much more money.

But PS5 is on 7nm already. There is only one jump left, 5nm. I just don't see how they do it.
Uhh... I guess go bleeding edge with N3E and charge a minimum of $700 for it? But then that eats up most of whatever room there is left to market a PS6 with in 2028+...

Man, if we're in a timeline where there's a PS5 Pro in 2024 and a PS6 in 2028, people are going to be pissed at the value proposition of one of the two, if not both.

The realization that we are on year 3 of PS5 is the most ā€œtime is fakeā€ thing ever

Look i know it sounds like a troll thing to say, but seriously, make games first.

Sony's pipeline has been better than early PS4 for sure, but I can still count the amount of PS games I want on one hand.
For real, it doesn't even feel like the PS5 train has really started going.

I could perhaps see a PS5 Pro happening as a "it can ray trace for real this time" thing, but I still have some doubts as to whether such a system could really differentiate enough to justify existing. They're almost certainly not going to have the hardware to even attempt to claim "8k for real this time".
I don't think it matters much. Nintendo is selling multiple versions of the Switch with minimal differences. As long as Sony market is an upgrade, last gen proved there is a market for that. The added benefit is that it further locks people into their software ecosystem, and pushes people to continue buying games there if for nothing else than to justify their purchase.

PS4 Pro and One X felt somewhat pointless as is given the pretty short gap between that and next gen. But I at least get why they did it since I remember distinctly there being a lot of fuss made about them being not powerful enough back in the early days. In comparison PS5 slim seems rather pointless considering it and Xbox Series really seem like beasts of machines, more so than the eighth gen consoles were at their launch. Even Series S seems to run games beautifully as long as you aren't some 4K snob.

Not a single game has been released so far that takes advantage even 70% of ps5 power, but sure let's release a pro version. Smells like bullshit to me.

Uhh... I guess go bleeding edge with N3E and charge a minimum of $700 for it? But then that eats up most of whatever room there is left to market a PS6 with in 2028+...

Man, if we're in a timeline where there's a PS5 Pro in 2024 and a PS6 in 2028, people are going to be pissed at the value proposition of one of the two, if not both.
Best I can imagine - and what I've seen in some of the rumors - is something like PS5 RT. More features rather than across the board an increase in performance. RDNA3/Zen4/4N might offer enough power draw improvements they could kill the power brick, which isn't exactly a "slim" but would cut shipping costs

I still havenā€™t seen a single PS5 on store shelves, they have very few heavy-hitter exclusives, and they already wanna move onto a Pro?

Lmao

There are barely any games worth buying a PS5 for, thereā€™s absolutely no reason for a Pro.

But this is the same company that put out a 200 dollar controller and a 550 VR headset within weeks of each other, so maybe logic just isnā€™t something theyā€™re interested in.

This is by no means myself trying to be hyperbolic but PS5 Pro is dumb in my eyes.

• Very little software that takes full advantage of the original hardware as it is and I have yet to witness anything truly next gen. At all.
  • A long cross gen period.
  • There are an incredible number of PS4 games that look and play great, especially later ones.
  • 8K isn't going to be affordable for 10+ years, what is there to sell beyond 4k60fps?
  • The Pro would be incredibly expensive in what will probably end up being the next great depression. People will be more content with what they currently have. I have an OG PS4.

They should focus on the slim variant and make more compelling software with great art and gameplay that makes full use of their current hardware. Worry about games first then I might be interested. I don't count pixels.

Meh, I honestly doubt this would even happen for a while, should it happen to begin with. The PS5 is plenty capable, hasnā€™t had any price cuts yet (actually has a price bump in many countries), is just starting to become more easily available, and weā€™ve only seen a tiny handful of games take advantage of its hardware due to most games still being cross gen. The PS4 definitely needed one, especially with 4KTVs becoming more mainstream a few years after its release, but the PS5? I think they can genuinely keep it going for a good while without a Pro model before needing to replace it with a successor

Back
Top Bottom