• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler In A Post Dex-It World, Who Are The Essential Pokemon?

If Scarlet/Violet can have a lineup that doesn't have Snorlax, nothing is safe

Digimon has some popular games, especially since the revival with Cyber Sleuth. Even their Visual Novel Strategy Game sold half a million. And they allways just feature just a part of the whole Digimon collection.

But's exactly the point. People are to spoiled by Pokemon featuring all of the monsters in every single game. But it's absolutelly not realistic to bring everyone back each game.
I did forget about Digimon, but I also feel that Digimon isn't even really comparable. Catching the monsters isn't really what Digimon has ever marketed itself on, it's almost always been marketed on telling compelling stories and raising your Digimon tamagotchi style. I know Pokemon changed the slogan away from "gotta catch em all", but they still promote people catching lots of Pokemon in every mainline game, most spin offs, the anime, etc.

And I flat out reject the notion that it's "impossible to bring them all back". Sure I accept getting 1,000+ Pokemon day 1 isn't realistic even on a 4-5 year time window (and gf usually has 3), but as Sword/Shield showed their dlc team was able to add 200 Pokemon in about a years time. Instead of just abandoning your 20 million+ copy sold game, have a legacy team that continues to work on the vgc side of things adding new pokemon until the next mainline game comes out. Even if they want to keep the games separate with a unique cull of Pokemon, look at what Pokemon haven't been in a game during the generation and prioritize them. Free all the Pokemon still trapped in Home waiting for a new console game they can be transferred into ffs.

Obviously the best argument for why GF can't get 1000+ pokemon in a game is their games run like complete dogshit and continue to have less and less content across the board. Their best running game in like a decade is what? Lets go Pikachu and Eevee which somehow had less content then Fire Red/Leaf Green on the GBA and wasn't even much of a looker.

I did forget about Digimon, but I also feel that Digimon isn't even really comparable. Catching the monsters isn't really what Digimon has ever marketed itself on, it's almost always been marketed on telling compelling stories and raising your Digimon tamagotchi style. I know Pokemon changed the slogan away from "gotta catch em all", but they still promote people catching lots of Pokemon in every mainline game, most spin offs, the anime, etc.

And I flat out reject the notion that it's "impossible to bring them all back". Sure I accept getting 1,000+ Pokemon day 1 isn't realistic even on a 4-5 year time window (and gf usually has 3), but as Sword/Shield showed their dlc team was able to add 200 Pokemon in about a years time. Instead of just abandoning your 20 million+ copy sold game, have a legacy team that continues to work on the vgc side of things adding new pokemon until the next mainline game comes out. Even if they want to keep the games separate with a unique cull of Pokemon, look at what Pokemon haven't been in a game during the generation and prioritize them. Free all the Pokemon still trapped in Home waiting for a new console game they can be transferred into ffs.

Obviously the best argument for why GF can't get 1000+ pokemon in a game is their games run like complete dogshit and continue to have less and less content across the board. Their best running game in like a decade is what? Lets go Pikachu and Eevee which somehow had less content then Fire Red/Leaf Green on the GBA and wasn't even much of a looker.
I feel like this solution misunderstands what the problem is. especially when you look at the pokemon in SV compared to previous gens. many were completely retextured, reanimated, and some might have been remodeled. with doing that for 600 pokemon isn't a small feat and they already employ an army at Creatures plus contracting companies just to do the 400 in 3 years. lord help them if they decided to change up the style again for Gen 10, and they'd have to do everything again, defeating the purposed of the task/

it's less because it'll run like shit and more, that's too much work for too few people who care

This is less an argument and more just a consequence?

Like if you think managing a roster of 400 monsters in a 3D RPG in a 3 year timeframe is somehow entirely divorced from GameFreak having worse performance in their games then I'm not sure what to tell you

Also the amount of work it would take for them to keep adding Pokemon just so that 3-4 years later they have a full roster seems just kinda an unfeasible amount of work for just not that much benefit? Except giving the Pokemon fanbase one fewer thing to complain about (until they pick up another thing in a couple hours)

Back
Top Bottom