• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club If The Zelda Movie Is Successful Will Nintendo Get Ballsy And Make...

I'd say anything is on the table.

Nintendo has a long and probably very profitable future ahead of them in the film business. If Zelda is a hit too, every studio is going to be dying to work with them on whatever project they want.

I think Nintendo has to get the big franchises into movies and shows before talking about more niche series like FE.

Fire Emblem wouldn't work as a movie. That'd get an HBO Series.
Three Houses would since Chris Hemsworth literally looks like Dimitri and his name recognition alone would sell tickets.

Another thing people seem to be forgetting is we literally have a Five Nights at Freddy's movie and Fire Emblem Heroes has made over a billion dollars as a mobile game.

Fire Emblem does need to be a mega-franchise but everything in time. First Netflix CG pseudo-anime series. Then an action figure line, no Jakks Pacific this time. Maybe a Lego set of Shadow Dragon? And then return of the recently canned FE TCG game with an official localization. After all that we can have our live action movie.

I actually have images in my head of how to do an F-Zero movie

Take the cinematography during the races very seriously but also lean into the campy cyberpunk ridiculousness

I even have an idea for a trailer-shot of Captain Falcon's car being chased by a helicopter tryina shoot at him, he spins the car around and launches it off an oncoming car as a ramp, opens the hatch of the car and uses the momentum of the launch to sling himself into the side of the helicopter, and as he closes in on them in slow motion he passes by an led billboard with a flaming bird lining up perfectly with him as he winds up his right fist behind him

motherfuckin falcon punch

Fire Emblem does need to be a mega-franchise but everything in time. First Netflix CG pseudo-anime series. Then an action figure line, no Jakks Pacific this time. Maybe a Lego set of Shadow Dragon? And then return of the recently canned FE TCG game with an official localization. After all that we can have our live action movie.
No to the Netflix trash since they make low budget adaptations

Fire Emblem already has a figure and toy line. Along with other miscellaneous goods.

Cipher was canned because they didn't have the resources to continue the game and most likely would have needed a similar company like The Pokemon Company to manage it.

I actually have images in my head of how to do an F-Zero movie

Take the cinematography during the races very seriously but also lean into the campy cyberpunk ridiculousness

I even have an idea for a trailer-shot of Captain Falcon's car being chased by a helicopter tryina shoot at him, he spins the car around and launches it off an oncoming car as a ramp, opens the hatch of the car and uses the momentum of the launch to sling himself into the side of the helicopter, and as he closes in on them in slow motion he passes by an led billboard with a flaming bird lining up perfectly with him as he winds up his right fist behind him

motherfuckin falcon punch
Watch Speed Racer (2008)

Watch Speed Racer (2008)
I did, like six times, it's unironically one of my favorite Wachowski movies.

So picture that but with dashes of Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive and Ron Howard's Rush but set in a neon cyberpunk future (and I'm sorry to keep using the term "cyberpunk" but I dunno how else to describe that sort of vibe)

I feel like a Fire Emblem anime would work better, honestly.
It would.

It's weird Nintendo has dropped the ball on anime adaptions in the last 15 years despite multimedia IP expansion becoming a core tenant of the company circa-2015. Like the 2000s had anime series for Kirby and F-Zero and OVAs for Animal Crossing. Even before then, the 80s/90s had the Western Mario and Zelda cartoons alongside additional OVAs. Then nothing since the mid-2000s.

I can't think of a Nintendo IP that wouldn't work well as an anime. Hell Zelda has a whole manga series that would work well as an anime, yet is hardly recognized by Nintendo.

I did, like six times, it's unironically one of my favorite Wachowski movies.

So picture that but with dashes of Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive and Ron Howard's Rush but set in a neon cyberpunk future (and I'm sorry to keep using the term "cyberpunk" but I dunno how else to describe that sort of vibe)
I'd put it with a bit more Redline personally.

A live action Fire Emblem movie?

Could you imagine someone like Chris Hemsworth playing Dimitri?
Chris Hemsworth is a little old to play Dimitri at this point, isn't he? I do see the vision, though, especially if you're thinking of eyepatch Thor. I'm sure they could assemble a good cast from rising stars if they had the budget.

Kirby movie?
Kirby being managed to some degree separately compared to other Nintendo characters has me thinking it's not top of any lists for their adaptations. However, I'd be there Day 1, of course.

My top pick would be an animated film because Kirby is almost certainly going to be animated no matter what. However, if they wanted to do live action, for whatever reason, I think the formula used for Sonic could actually work pretty well for Kirby. A weird alien baby cute thing (Kirby) shows up, and the first half is just humans discovering how weird, cute, and powerful they are. Then a cosmic horror shows up and destroys a town like a kaiju or threatens all of reality, and Kirby saves the day. I suppose this is sort of just the plot of the Kirby anime but moved to Earth.

Last edited:
Chris Hemsworth a little old to play Dimitri at this point, isn't he? I do see the vision, though, especially if you're thinking of eyepatch Thor. I'm sure they could assemble a good cast among rising stars if they had the budget.

Kirby being managed to some degree separately compared to other Nintendo characters has me thinking it's not top of any lists for their adaptations. However, I'd be there Day 1, of course.

My top pick would be an animated film because Kirby is almost certainly going to be animated no matter what. However, if they wanted to do live action, for whatever reason, I think the formula used for Sonic could actually work pretty well for Kirby. A weird alien baby cute thing (Kirby) shows up, and the first half is just humans discovering how weird, cute, and powerful they are. Then a cosmic horror shows up and destroys a town like a kaiju or threatens all of reality, and Kirby saves the day. I suppose this is sort of just the plot of the Kirby anime but moved to Earth.
I always thought cg kirb and friends in a live action world would work for a kirby movie. Maybe some parts could take place in a fully animated pop star?

A good adaptation needs more than a single key actor that can sell tickets.

For an FE story to work, I honestly feel like it needs to be a series rather than a movie just so that it can sell the concept of being during war with several decisive battles, character deaths being given appropriate weight by having been developed for the audience, probably some politics and lore info so the viewer understands why the war is happening to begin with and it's not just pointlessly killing, etc. A movie might work for folks who are already fans, but when you go mainstream you want way more than that.

Last edited:
I genuinely believe the next project is gonna be something in the Fire Emblem or Splatoon universes. Now whether that be animated, live action, or what have you, I dunno.

I always thought cg kirb and friends in a live action world would work for a kirby movie. Maybe some parts could take place in a fully animated pop star?
Yeah, there could be Popstar scenes, especially if they showed the villain plotting to find Kirby/conquer Earth or Dedede making his way over.

I just would like the movie to end with the human cast revealing they've built Kirby a house (a symbol that they're welcoming Kirby to stay), and for it to look like Kirby's house is supposed to look. Maybe Kirby walks inside, then disappears for a few seconds, and then does their classic "Hi!" flappy arm pose on their tippy toes in the window to show they like it and welcome the humans in. The humans then join Kirby inside, crouching to get in while carrying a big cake, and they have a cramped housewarming party. The final shot is the camera panning up, and you hear the humans say, "Okay, fine" and then Kirby's inhale sound to eat the entire cake. Maybe a shooting star, potentially a Warp Star, streaks across the sky is the final image as the screen fades to black and the credits roll. The final credits moment, of course, is the classic Kirby "boss defeated" dance and victory song.

KatFL_Kirby%27s_House_screenshot.png

(Sorry to OP. I've treated this like a Kirby fan fiction thread instead of Fire Emblem. I'll stop now.)

Last edited:
Yeah, there could be Popstar scenes, especially if they showed the villain plotting to find Kirby/conquer Earth or Dedede making his way over.

I just would like the movie to end with the human cast revealing they've built Kirby a house (a symbol that they're welcoming Kirby to stay), and for it to look like Kirby's house is supposed to look. Maybe Kirby walks inside, then disappears for a few seconds, and then does their classic "Hi!" flappy arm pose on their tippy toes in the window to show they like it and welcome the humans in. The humans then join Kirby inside, crouching to get in while carrying a big cake, and they have a cramped housewarming party. The final shot is the camera panning up, and you hear the humans say, "Okay, fine" and then Kirby's inhale sound to eat the entire cake. Maybe a shooting star, potentially a Warp Star, streaks across the sky is the final image as the screen fades to black and the credits roll. The final credits moment, of course, is the classic Kirby "boss defeated" dance and victory song.

KatFL_Kirby%27s_House_screenshot.png

(Sorry to OP. I've treated this like a Kirby fan fiction thread instead of Fire Emblem. I'll stop now.)
I’d watch this! Kirby is the type of movie where you sort of need human characters to ground the plot and move it forward, while kirby is part where the comedy and action occur. I dont think the general audience would line up to see a fully animated kirby movie where he and his friends get up to shenanigans and fight eldrich horrors with minimal dialogue, but throw some recognizable celebrity in there as the live action protagonist and suddenly more people are interested.

Last edited:
I genuinely believe the next project is gonna be something in the Fire Emblem or Splatoon universes. Now whether that be animated, live action, or what have you, I dunno.
I could see some anime-like Splatoon project, given how massive the franchise is in japan

Fire Emblem makes more sense at a tv series being it live action or anime. Yes I know Fire Emblem had an ova back in the day (but Maaaars), but I'm talking about a full fledge series either an original story or a loose adaptation of one of the games.

Anything but a Three Houses adaptation lol

But you know would work as some prestige HBO of Fire Emblem series? The Jugdral saga. Genealogy of the Holy War would make for a fantastic adaption. It's got everything you could want: a ton of lore and world building to work with, huge epic battles, a story that spans to basically the entire continent of Jugdral, political intrigue, complex antagonists, and characters banging their cousins. And to people who never played the game: the meteor shower at the end of Chapter 5 would be a crazy way to cap out a season. ;)

Anything but a Three Houses adaptation lol

But you know would work as some prestige HBO of Fire Emblem series? The Jugdral saga. Genealogy of the Holy War would make for a fantastic adaption. It's got everything you could want: a ton of lore and world building to work with, huge epic battles, a story that spans to basically the entire continent of Jugdral, political intrigue, complex antagonists, and characters banging their cousins. And to people who never played the game: the meteor shower at the end of Chapter 5 would be a crazy way to cap out a season. ;)
I was gonna say TV-MA HBO show with GRRM helping on script. Starring Pedro Pascal of course.

Nintendo Franchises for animation (movie/anime):
  • Super Mario (DK, Yoshi, ...)
  • Star Fox
  • Kirby
  • Splatoon
  • Pikmin
  • Animal Crossing
  • Fire Emblem
  • Xenoblade
  • Pokémon

Nintendo Franchises for live action:
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Metroid
  • Fire Emblem
  • Xenoblade
  • Pokémon

That's the situation to me. This is why I'm happy about Zelda being live-action, Nintendo doesn't have many IP that could work with this type of movies.

(I would do FE as an anime series and Xeno as live action honestly)

I think FE (and Xenoblade, by extension) would far and away work best as anime series or films. I think live action or CGI adaptations of those franchises wouldn’t work for the same reasons why hypothetical live action or CGI adaptations of other JRPG franchises like Final Fantasy, Persona, or Tales wouldn’t work.

Really, the only other Nintendo franchise that I believe would work for live-action adaptations is Metroid. Maybe Mysterious Murasame Castle, if they’re willing to resurrect that.

Nintendo Franchises for animation (movie/anime)
  • Pikmin
I can visualize Pikmin as live action though, with zoom outs to visualize how comedically timed the fight encounter can be (ants like creatures fighting a toy sized mob). Although a lot of effects needed.

I bet they will be very non-ballsy and make an animated Animal Crossing movie, and then Super Mario Bros Movie sequels and/or spin-offs (such as a Luigi's Mansion or stand-alone Donkey Kong movie) and that those hoping for lower-tier franchises such as Metroid and Fire Emblem to get feature films will be disappointed.

Regards,
No Fun Allowed Club (though all those non-ballsy movies they will make could be a lot of fun)

I can visualize Pikmin as live action though, with zoom outs to visualize how comedically timed the fight encounter can be (ants like creatures fighting a toy sized mob). Although a lot of effects needed.
Idk, look at Pikmin Shorts, they did so well in terms of viewers, I think they won't ever go with a live action

I think FE (and Xenoblade, by extension) would far and away work best as anime series or films. I think live action or CGI adaptations of those franchises wouldn’t work for the same reasons why hypothetical live action or CGI adaptations of other JRPG franchises like Final Fantasy, Persona, or Tales wouldn’t work.

Really, the only other Nintendo franchise that I believe would work for live-action adaptations is Metroid. Maybe Mysterious Murasame Castle, if they’re willing to resurrect that.
I mean FE is/can (be) very bog standard medieval fantasy. So I think that it could work very well for live action given what has be done within the genre.

Personally, I'd be extremely salty if we got some live-action thing as the first big multimedia project for FE. The only think I want from FE is anime adaptations.

I think FE (and Xenoblade, by extension) would far and away work best as anime series or films.
The whole Xeno series since Gears has been Takahashi trying to emulate anime. It'd be a shame to do a live action Xeno unless they got Hideaki Anno to direct or something.

The Zelda movie would need to be insanely successful before they even start to consider Metroid.

Then again, Brie Larson is RIGHT THERE.
I know Brie Larson has been lobbying for the part, but damned if I don't think Charlize Theron would be better, if not perfect.

You know Fire Emblem is probably the one Nintendo franchise where I feel like you could probably do something worthwhile with a movie/TV show. It's a narrative focus but doesn't really feature too many full cutscenes, so the stories have room to be enhanced

Like, you're not doing anything worthwhile with an adaptation of Nintendo's other big ongoing narrative focused franchise. Xenoblade games are already their own movies

Back
Top Bottom