• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I uh... bought a wiiu in 2023?

Tailzo

Paratroopa
So I had a wiiu and I bought it at launch. My wife was (is?) A big Pikmin 3 fan, and was complaining lately that I sold it maybe 5 years ago.

I did however own Pikmin 3 digital, and as far as I understand, it is still possible to download purchases? I can't remember owning many digital games, but you can find a list by login in to the eshop?

I got this for around 80$. Was that an ok deal? Please tell me what else I can do with it.

Edit: yes I am aware it might've been a better idea to buy Pikmin 3 for Switch, but it was so expensive still.

I already played that, but I sold the physical copy :(

I may have bought some digital wii or ds games?? I also loved the 2 player in Sonic and Sega Racing Transformed, but I also sold that disc.

Oh...

There's Devil's Third i guess? It's a super dumb but fun game under all the jank.

Oh...

There's Devil's Third i guess? It's a super dumb but fun game under all the jank.
Can I find my purchase history on web while I wait for the wiiu to arrive?

Edit: found something, but

You can view account activity dating back up to two years.

šŸ˜ž

You will almost certainly have to call Nintendo to tie your old account to your new system. You canā€™t just log in and expect it to work. After that the eShop should have an option to view a redownload list.

You will almost certainly have to call Nintendo to tie your old account to your new system. You canā€™t just log in and expect it to work. After that the eShop should have an option to view a redownload list.
Oh really? That's a huge bummer. In Norway we have to deal with Bergsala for all Nintendo support. Thanks for the warning though.

that-was-a-mistake-mistake.gif

Why? For $80 it's a steal, probably even be able to flip it for a profit later when done with it, to the right audience
This was just the exact gif that came to mind when I read the thread title, and I think the WiiU is so bad.

Could have just bought Pikmin 3 it sounds like. But obviously if OP and/or wife get $80 worth of value out of it then it was a good purchase. I wish them well.

So Pikmin 3, which you can find for probably $40-50 used on Facebook marketplace (or $60 brand new if you want), was too expensive, so you spent $80 on a Wii U to play it there instead...?

This was just the exact gif that came to mind when I read the thread title, and I think the WiiU is so bad.

Could have just bought Pikmin 3 it sounds like. But obviously if OP and/or wife get $80 worth of value out of it then it was a good purchase. I wish them well.

So Pikmin 3, which you can find for probably $40-50 used on Facebook marketplace (or $60 brand new if you want), was too expensive, so you spent $80 on a Wii U to play it there instead...?
Yeah, you're not wrong. Kinda just placed an offer on a whim. I hope my wife will be happy if nothing else. I'll connect it to the bedroom tv.

Buying a whole ass Wii U for Pikmin 3 is maybe the wrong move lol.

That said $80 seems like a good price, I would have assumed they went for more.

There isn't much on there that appeals to me that I can't already get on Switch, pretty much just Xenoblade X, Wind Waker HD, and Twilight Princess HD.

As someone that always loved the Wii U and I never regretted my purchase for a second, collecting for it lately has been great;

I never had much disposable money to buy every game I wanted back when the system was still current; so sometimes when a port of a certain game is announced for Switch for $60 (300 Brazilian Reais), and look up I can find today the original Wii U version floating around in the used market about half of that price, depending of the title;

For example, I never played Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad or Pikmin 3; but I'll make sure to get them on Wii U for way cheaper down the line, instead buying the ports on Switch;

If you've been skipping those on Switch too for some reason, I feel it's a good way to experience those games for way less.

If you have no moral qualms with emulation, it was a good way to play gamecube games. Not sure if that's viable now that the eshop's closed unless you already bought Brain Age in the past.

If you're not into emulation, it's just the Xenoblade X machine. But I agree with the poster who said you could probably flip it later on. I'd imagine there would be some value as Wii Us get rarer, parts get harder to replace, and while the odd niche game that has some passionate fans like Xenoblade X don't have ports.

So I had a wiiu and I bought it at launch. My wife was (is?) A big Pikmin 3 fan, and was complaining lately that I sold it maybe 5 years ago.

I did however own Pikmin 3 digital, and as far as I understand, it is still possible to download purchases? I can't remember owning many digital games, but you can find a list by login in to the eshop?

I got this for around 80$. Was that an ok deal? Please tell me what else I can do with it.

Edit: yes I am aware it might've been a better idea to buy Pikmin 3 for Switch, but it was so expensive still.
well, if your into homebrew...

Sell it for 90 bucks and make 10 dollars

If you have no moral qualms with emulation, it was a good way to play gamecube games. Not sure if that's viable now that the eshop's closed unless you already bought Brain Age in the past.

If you're not into emulation, it's just the Xenoblade X machine. But I agree with the poster who said you could probably flip it later on. I'd imagine there would be some value as Wii Us get rarer, parts get harder to replace, and while the odd niche game that has some passionate fans like Xenoblade X don't have ports.
Brain Age was the common game people got for emulating DS games. Emulating GameCube games can be done on vWii mode and wouldnā€™t require the eShop and they will probably never be able to patch it out.

ā€¦.is there a way to directly launch GameCube games??

The best thing about this thread is that if you just sub "2013" for "2023" this still kinds of read comically.

Brain Age was the common game people got for emulating DS games. Emulating GameCube games can be done on vWii mode and wouldnā€™t require the eShop and they will probably never be able to patch it out.

I must've misremembered. I never actually tried the homebrew stuff myself, just remember reading about it a while back. Interesting to know it should still be possible.

Last edited:
Hack it. You can use a tool that lets you stream and control your N3DS to your WiiU.
You can also (legally) dump your DS and GBA games and emulate them with Nintendo's official emulator (virtual console).
You can get rid of region lock in case you have any games from other regions or in case you buy a game online that's from another region.
You can even stream and control games from a PC using the WiiU tablet. You can even use a tool that lets you easily manage, restore and backup your saves.

Last edited:
A perfectly working Wii U + gamepad is going to spike in value at some point. Give it 10 years, if that

Woolly World is absolutely worth playing for sure. I wish it had a Switch port but alas! More reasons to dig out a Wii U lol

I have been reading before I fell asleep. Any wiiu can be hacked without that metod now, you just need an sd card.
well, if your into homebrew...
I hacked my vita and playstation tv. It made both systems so much better.

Gamecube seemed a bit complicated, but...
Hack it. You can use a tool that lets you stream and control your N3DS to your WiiU.
You can also (legally) dump your DS and GBA games and emulate them with Nintendo's official emulator (virtual console).
You can get rid of region lock in case you have any games from other regions or in case you buy a game online that's from another region.
You can even stream and control games from a PC using the WiiU tablet. You can even use a tool that lets you easily manage, restore and backup your saves.
Yeah, that. And also I read that any Bluetooth controller will work as a pro controller if you hack it. That is amazing.
No way, this bad boy can play just about everything from the Wii U, Wii and back.
It is worse for emulation than my pc and xbox series s. But if I buy a wiimote and super cheap games, I can suddenly play quite a few more games.

This is the winning move right here
After the wife and kids grow tired of it, yeah.

Wiimotes are not 10$ like I hoped. I'll try to hack it if it is too hard to log in and download my digital games. I remembered I also own Pandoras tower and Mario Kart 8 (you can mod that I read)

Ok thanks, I kinda just placed an offer without thinking much. I was just feeling nostalgic gaming with my then girlfriend before we got busy with 3 kids. She wants Pikmin 4.
Sounds like a keeper!

Sounds like a keeper!
Well yeah, I married her and I have n intention of ever finding anyone else. Pikmin 4 is the only Switch game she wants, and I told her I could buy it for the only Switch console we have at the moment, the Lite. But she shrugged and said she wants to play Pikmin on the tv.

And she asked why I sold the wiiu. Hence why I bought the wiiu.

Wii U actually has some third-party games that Switch never got like Deus EX, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, Watch Dogs, COD, Tekken, Need For Speed Most Wanted Remake, etc. + Some bangers like Xeno X, Star Fox ZerošŸ˜œ, WW and TP HD and some interesting titles like Wooly World and Kirby. As much as Nintendo ported their software, there's still a lot of jewels locked there. Although you will need to research a lot as some games sold badly and there's only physical available now. On the plus side, the vast majority of the software library runs from the physical media rather than installing.

Edit: Oh, and Wii U discs are really good and smooth.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, I kinda just placed an offer without thinking much. I was just feeling nostalgic gaming with my then girlfriend before we got busy with 3 kids. She wants Pikmin 4.

I also had the Wii U at launch and bought some games digital. I rebought it in 2021 just to realize why I didnā€™t like the Wii U in the first place. Also Homebrew didnā€™t solve the slow OS and the cumbersome handling (Wii U pad, Wii remotesā€¦ Sensor Bar).
I just bought all the ports on Switch, far better.

I also had the Wii U at launch and bought some games digital. I rebought it in 2021 just to realize why I didnā€™t like the Wii U in the first place. Also Homebrew didnā€™t solve the slow OS and the cumbersome handling (Wii U pad, Wii remotesā€¦ Sensor Bar).
I just bought all the ports on Switch, far better.
So, we've had the wiiu for over a week now.

positive
  • the hardware works perfectly, as does the wiimotes and nunchuck too
  • the gamepad still has an ok battery life
  • my daughters asks me to play the "nintendo" every day
  • wiiu games mostly still look ok on a big 4k oled
negatives
  • yes it is slow, although the quick menu helps
  • Neither me nor my wife has had much time to try it :ROFLMAO:

indiana-jones-last-crusade.gif

I loved my Wii U. Imo, thereā€™s never a bad time to get a Wii U. It doesnt seem like the hd zelda ports, xenoblade, or yoshi will actually make it to the switch so there are still some good exclusives

If you've got a good used games shop in your area, you'll soon find that the Wii U is an absolute treasure trove of great games that can be bought for relatively cheap. Obviously the eShop is now gone forever (RIP) but there's still a load of second hand physical games you can buy that will provide hours and hours of joy.

If you can find a copy of Wind Waker or Twilight Princess HD, you can't go wrong with either of them, they're both the definitive ways to play.

For guys who own a Wii U, I have the idea that they are perfectly good guys.
So perfect that I want to have romance relationship with them.

If you've got a good used games shop in your area, you'll soon find that the Wii U is an absolute treasure trove of great games that can be bought for relatively cheap. Obviously the eShop is now gone forever (RIP) but there's still a load of second hand physical games you can buy that will provide hours and hours of joy.

If you can find a copy of Wind Waker or Twilight Princess HD, you can't go wrong with either of them, they're both the definitive ways to play.
After a couple of gaming nights (vacation started for the eldest, and in Norway the sun is up until nighttime now) where they were fighting over whose turn it was, I said to myself I can afford another wiimote and more games. This has been a much bigger hits among my daughters than I had imagined

Back
Top Bottom