• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I think the next Zelda game will be Monolith Soft's action game

Do you think it will be?

• Total voters

LitKai

Tektite
Banned
Pronouns
Hmmm

mv.jpg

bg-joblist.jpg

A launch title for the next-gen Nintendo console?

The only game that could be the action game is Zelda for many reasons:
  • Monolith Soft has assisted in the development of many Zelda games. It wouldn't be strange if Nintendo would let them make a Zelda.
  • Making a game from a popular franchise makes more sense than making a new IP. They said it's an ambitious game; I don't think Nintendo would allow them to make an ambitious new IP after the "failure" that was Xenoblade X (they worked on it for about 5 years and it sold less than 1 million). A Zelda game will sell a lot of units no matter what.
  • The action game recruitment page has the same job listing as the Zelda page, except that the action game does not have a scenario planner. It could mean nothing, or it could mean that the "production02" (Zelda) team is the same for the action game.
  • The two images on the action game's recruitment page have the same setting and both are related to Zelda. It would be strange if it were a coincidence.
  • The next-gen Nintendo console is near. No new Zelda for the next-gen Nintendo console? I don't think TotK is going to be their demonstration of the power of Nintendo's new console. A Zelda remake as a launch title? That would be funny. The only game that has been in development for a long time that could be a Zelda game is Monolith Soft's action game.
I don't know if it was Monolith Soft that proposed the project to Nintendo or if it was Nintendo that proposed them to develop a Zelda game, but I believe that from the beginning it was planned to be released on Nintendo's next-gen console.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind if it was, but I highly doubt it.

I hope not, I'd much rather a new IP. I want to see them make something other than xenoblade and zelda. Any new game from them is great news but having something new they could build off rather than sticking to some conventions would be lame to me (I'd get over it if something were announced lol). I think it's a fantasy game for sure though. When there was a hiring call for it they described it as "An ambitious project that differs from Monolith Soft's brand image." Which means not Zelda (they've been helping zelda team since skyward sword ) and not Xenoblade because that's their whole brand image. This could have changed in the years and morphed into a zelda thing though.

Link to Hiring Call:

The art we've seen + the art from the colony zero quest in XC3 kinda seem like hints to me. The XC3 side quest art in particular is super interesting because it literally looks like concept art from a fantasy game and it doesn't have any relation to XC3 unless you use abstract interpretations and even then they're arguable.

Link to Art (spoilers if you haven't beat that quest yet I guess xd): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/443890374289784833/1018595396437680259/02c284d0.png

That's assuming it's real and not just TOTK

Last edited:
I love the idea of Monolith Soft making something that isn't shackled to either the Xenoblade or Zelda stories/worlds in terms of theming, mechanics, or other considerations

It's possible that their action product is a Zelda thing, but I think it would be a bit of a shame if the team wasn't allowed to flex their own creative muscles in a (more or less) completely original way

That was Tears of the Kingdom
There might have been two projects in tandem. A lot of the monolith staff were given special thanks rather than specific credits. We also don't know when exactly Totk started development. The hiring call for this game was in august of 2017 and botw's last dlc was in december that same year too. I think it's too early to write it off as just being zelda (I am coping right now).

I hope not, I'd much rather a new IP. I want to see them make something other than xenoblade and zelda. Any new game from them is great news but having something new they could build off rather than sticking to some conventions would be lame to me (I'd get over it if something were announced lol). I think it's a fantasy game for sure though. When there was a hiring call for it they described it as "An ambitious project that differs from Monolith Soft's brand image." Which means not Zelda (they've been helping zelda team since skyward sword ) and not Xenoblade because that's their whole brand image. This could have changed in the years and morphed into a zelda thing though.

Link to Hiring Call:

The art we've seen + the art from the colony zero quest in XC3 kinda seem like hints to me. The XC3 side quest art in particular is super interesting because it literally looks like concept art from a fantasy game and it doesn't have any relation to XC3 unless you use abstract interpretations and even then they're arguable.

Link to Art (spoilers if you haven't beat that quest yet I guess xd): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/443890374289784833/1018595396437680259/02c284d0.png

That's assuming it's real and not just TOTK

I think a Zelda game set in a medieval fantasy world, Zelda and Link traveling together and with the plot twists that Monolith Soft does would be cool.

I think a Zelda game set in a medieval fantasy world, Zelda and Link traveling together and with the plot twists that Monolith Soft does would be cool.
I really wouldn't like that tbh. Monolith are my favourite devs and I would hope they get to try their handd at something new. Plus zelda already has so many fantasy elements. In regards to Zelda made by other developers I'd love to see a sheikah game, a 2D game or just a game where we play as a younger link again since it's been a while : P

The Action game is all the friend we made along the way lol.

In all seriousness, even if that was their next project, I dont think it will be ready for the launch of the next system (within 1 year).

Whatever their next game is I'm already willing to bet it will be ready early lol. You'll never convince me they're in the Monolith offices just writing code. They're in there casting spells or some shit. I don't think I've seen another game outside of XC3 get so nonchalantly dropped 2 months before the initial release date. And just casually announcing the big dlc a week before it dropped. I wish more game devs worked like that.

Whatever their next game is I'm already willing to bet it will be ready early lol. You'll never convince me they're in the Monolith offices just writing code. They're in there casting spells or some shit. I don't think I've seen another game outside of XC3 get so nonchalantly dropped 2 months before the initial release date. And just casually announcing the big dlc a week before it dropped. I wish more game devs worked like that.
More than 6 years of development are enough, I think. They are waiting for the launch of the new Nintendo console.

More than 6 years of development are enough, I think. They are waiting for the launch of the new Nintendo console.
given their schedule, I suspect the game was greenlit but sat in pre-production for the longest time until XC3 entered the wrap-up phase

I’ve actually wondered myself if we might not get a Zelda game developed by some other team in the interim (whether remake or new game altogether) so that the Switch 2 won’t have to go till 2030 or something before it has one of its own, so you know what? I can see it.

I’ve actually wondered myself if we might not get a Zelda game developed by some other team in the interim (whether remake or new game altogether) so that the Switch 2 won’t have to go till 2030 or something before it has one of its own, so you know what? I can see it.
probably something Grezzo is working on. hopefully an OoT formula Zelda

probably something Grezzo is working on. hopefully an OoT formula Zelda
My assumption was a full fledged OOT remake (closer to the RE remakes than OOT3D), but I’m also not sure Nintendo sees any wisdom in returning to a style of game that is fractionally as successful as what they have now, and also risk diluting the brand and muddying the waters a little.

my thinking is that Grezzo would either do an OoT formula to placate the other fans (because there's still a ton of them) or something styled differently. an action game in the Zelda world is expected, but I don't think it'll be by Monolith. Grezzo doing it would make sense. a Sheik stealth game by Acquire is still a dream. same with Hyrule MMO

Not only i doubt but i hope not. Nintendo is in need from ips that arent silly little concepts from EPD lol.

Not that this game exists ofc, monolith will be on xeno until the end of times

I find it somewhat hard to believe that they would co-develop TotK and lead development on another Zelda at the same time but crazier things have happened, I guess. Ideally their next non-Xeno, non-Zelda project would be bringing back Soma Bringer, including Soraya Saga.

But I think we all know what the Monolith Action game actually is

SI_Wii_DistasterDayOfCrisis_image1600w.jpg

I hope not, I don't like the types of games MS does and I don't think they mesh well with the Zelda formula. Sure, they've collaborated in BotW and TotK, but it was in designing and creating the world, not the gameplay. The gameplay in the Xeno games is a bit of a mess: They tend to develop overconvoluted combat systems that have the depth of a pond. That is the exact opposite of what Zelda's about; Just look how TotK solves all the problems with weapon durability with the Fuse mechanic, while also addressing the typical open-world/RPG problem of having a thousand useless items in your inventory. In essence, the design principle is creating one mechanic to solve as many problems as possible while at the same time expanding the gameplay opportunities in new direction. In a Xenoblade game you just get another status effect or any other additional element you stack on top of all the other existing layers of the combat system, without really interacting with them in any way.

An action rpg with Zelda as the main character would certainly be interesting and theoretically it would make sense for Nintendo to plan a concurrent Zelda launch title for Switch 2 but it’s still a stretch and wishful thinking.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that they would co-develop TotK and lead development on another Zelda at the same time but crazier things have happened, I guess. Ideally their next non-Xeno, non-Zelda project would be bringing back Soma Bringer, including Soraya Saga.

But I think we all know what the Monolith Action game actually is

SI_Wii_DistasterDayOfCrisis_image1600w.jpg
Well, they did something similar with Xenoblade DE and Xenoblade 3; developing the 2 at the same time.

I thought we already went through all this years ago and it was just art done for the recruitment etc... ? something like that - it would be cool but its probably not happening. I will reiterate that I do think someone either Nintendo Zelda team or otherwise will make a PS4 visual level flashy God Of War 2018-esque OOT remake for the 30th anniversary

I thought we already went through all this years ago and it was just art done for the recruitment etc... ? something like that - it would be cool but its probably not happening. I will reiterate that I do think someone either Nintendo Zelda team or otherwise will make a PS4 visual level flashy God Of War 2018-esque OOT remake for the 30th anniversary
Those who say that are/were wrong. There's the art they do every year for the recruitment page and there's the art for the specific recruitment page for games like Xenoblade or Zelda. The art for the action game has been around since the recruitment page was put up and has not changed in all this time.

And the only game that could be the action game is Zelda for many reasons:
  • Monolith Soft has assisted in the development of many Zelda games. It wouldn't be strange if Nintendo would let them make a Zelda.
  • Making a game from a popular franchise makes more sense than making a new IP. They said it's an ambitious game; I don't think Nintendo would allow them to make an ambitious new IP after the "failure" that was Xenoblade X (they worked on it for about 5 years and it sold less than 1 million). A Zelda game will sell a lot of units no matter what.
  • The action game recruitment page has the same job listing as the Zelda page, except that the action game does not have a scenario planner. It could mean nothing, or it could mean that the "production02" (Zelda) team is the same for the action game.
  • The two images on the action game's recruitment page have the same setting and both are related to Zelda. It would be strange if it were a coincidence.
  • The next-gen Nintendo console is near. No new Zelda for the next-gen Nintendo console? I don't think TotK is going to be their demonstration of the power of Nintendo's new console. A Zelda remake as a launch title? That would be funny. The only game that has been in development for a long time that could be a Zelda game is Monolith Soft's action game.
I don't know if it was Monolith Soft that proposed the project to Nintendo or if it was Nintendo that proposed them to develop a Zelda game, but I believe that from the beginning it was planned to be released on Nintendo's next-gen console.

I don't think Nintendo would allow them to make an ambitious new IP after the "failure" that was Xenoblade X (they worked on it for about 5 years and it sold less than 1 million).
two xenoblade games failed to sell 1M. they then proceeded to make two more xenoblade games that broke 1M. XCX doesn't mean anything for what they're allowed to do now

The two images on the action game's recruitment page have the same setting and both are related to Zelda. It would be strange if it were a coincidence.
the two images are generic fantasy images. outside of Zelda also being in the fantasy genre, there's nothing linking Zelda and the images

I'm not seeing why Zelda is so paramount for launch now that they just released Tears of the Kingdom. it's also gonna be supported with DLC within a year, which would coincide with Drake, so a new major Zelda game is probably off the cards

two xenoblade games failed to sell 1M. they then proceeded to make two more xenoblade games that broke 1M. XCX doesn't mean anything for what they're allowed to do now
Xenoblade sales. I think the budget of Xenoblade X was bigger than Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade 2. And Xenoblade 2 only took them 3 years of development with less than 50% of their members. Xenoblade 2 was a success, so Nintendo gave Takahashi permission to make Xenoblade DE and Xenoblade 3.
the two images are generic fantasy images. outside of Zelda also being in the fantasy genre, there's nothing linking Zelda and the images

Xenoblade sales. I think the budget of Xenoblade X was bigger than Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade 2. And Xenoblade 2 only took them 3 years of development with less than 50% of their members. Xenoblade 2 was a success, so Nintendo gave Takahashi permission to make Xenoblade DE and Xenoblade 3.

I don't see what those sales are supposed to prove. we don't know XC1 Wii's sales because it was less than 1M. same for XCX. unless you have a source, and no, VGChartz is not a source. XC2 and XC3 are both million sellers and are much more relevant to determining what Monolith Soft can do now due to their recentcy

and yes, I watched that video a long time ago. they're literally pixel trawling for what they think is zelda symbology. it's not conclusive in the slightest.

There's nothing in the art used for recruitment that indicates they're making a Zelda game

Hell we don't know htat the art is for anything more than evoking a feeling, it might not be concretely related to an in-production game at all

Back
Top Bottom