• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I really hope Nintendo makes more Famicom Detective Club.

Christo750

Source of the Right Arm
Pronouns
He/Him/His
I finished The Missing Heir and was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, so I thought I’d give The Girl Who Stands Behind a shot. I figured I’d have the time before Pokémon Legends comes out so why not?

Only problem is, I finished it in 2 days. I really enjoyed this one too! The Missing Heir was a great story but mechanically very frustrating, but The Girl Who Stands Behind was actually much more streamlined. Or at least it appeared that way, maybe only because I was used to it in TMH already.

I hope, once Sakamoto has things straight with the next Metroid, he can also produce another couple of Famicom Detective Club games. It’s a great series with great stories and characters with lots of room to grow.

On the topic, I am kinda going through a withdrawal. These games were great games to wind down with. Does anyone have any other VN recommendations on Switch that would fit the mold?

I hope we at least get the third game and an all new modern one would be awesome!

Why o why is this not a physical double pack in the West yet.

And yes I would love to see more collabs between Mages and Nintendo, especially if its to create a new and expanded FDC entry.

VNs are something I've never really gotten around to trying. Would these be a good intro to the genre?
I would say probably not only because the interface is a bit clunky (it’s not obvious/intuitive you have to reuse menu options frequently especially in the first game, The Missing Heir), but if you are fairly patient the stories/characters are pretty neat and have a more adult tone than you might expect. If you are a Nintendo fan, there is nothing else like them which is very cool.

I think most people would probably recommend a hybrid visual novel that has a gameplay component like Ace Attorney or something VN adjacent like 13 Sentinels to get started.

If you are interested by all means jump in though. Most people I’ve seen who have tried them like them. Always good to try new things :)

I'd absolutely love a brand new one. The two remakes were some of my favorite games in 2021! I remember someone high up at Mages had said in an interview that they were interested in making a brand new entry. I hope it pans out!

The producer (Makoto Asada) who pitched this to Nintendo says he would like to create a new entry in the series. It also seems like the titles met expectations so there is hope.

9IX1FEn.png

They were super classy presentation wise. Mechanically a bit clunky but that's why new ones could be so great.

I'm thinking this game didn't do too hot outside Japan. Did it at least do well there?

Do we have any numbers? A new one probably wouldn't cost that much relatively speaking so even without being that much of a hit they could still work?

I bought both and only played Missing Heir and really didn't like it much at all, but I'd try a newer non-remake one. I got the impression most of the issues with Missing Heir were the result of it being a port of a Famicom game. Ideally a new game would get more inspiration from contemporary mystery adventure games like Ace Attorney and have more puzzle solving gameplay, deeper characters, and fewer scenarios that involve having to select a dialogue option multiple times in order to progress.

VNs are something I've never really gotten around to trying. Would these be a good intro to the genre?

My suggestion would definitely be Ace attorney trilogy or the Great ace attorney collection, or if you want something with more of a horror bent, Zero escape.

This is an extremely dry game missing a ton of quality of life improvements from the past decades of advancements that I felt really showed its age.

The games themselves were fine, but I've really struggled to get through them compared to many other visual novels I've played.

Bring on all the adventure games Nintendo can handle. More Famicom Detective Club; Famicom Fairytales remakes; revivials of Cing's adventure game series; Buddy Mission BOND localised in English; anything!

Bring on all the adventure games Nintendo can handle. More Famicom Detective Club; Famicom Fairytales remakes; revivials of Cing's adventure game series; Buddy Mission BOND localised in English; anything!

Absolutely yes to all of these. I’m still salty we never got that third Another Code game that would have had Ashley meeting an older Kyle Hyde.

yeah it'd be cool. its nice having some mystery vns that arent like 30 hours long lol

I'd rather have Hotel Dusk remastered

I think they are fine for what they are given they are remakes of originally NES games, but the production value would be enhanced in a fully 3D world and should be what they aim for in any ground-up entry.

The Missing Heir was great. I've started The Girl Who Stands Behind as well, but didn't finish it. I'll probably go back to it in the near future and start a new file. Two great stories, stunning visuals and a great job by Mages and Sakamoto (last year was really his year). I'd love a third game. 2021 was a damn good year for visual novels, Great Ace Attorney would've been my GOTY if it wasn't for Dread.

OP wait until you find out that Shin Onigashima is a thing.

The visual and audio style is utterly nuts for a 1987 game, but the nature of the original game's text (Displaying characters from top to bottom) makes remaking it a necessity.

I still haven't gotten these yet. I'm not an anti digital guy, but I admit I was holding out at first in the hopes of an eventual physical release and after a while I just forgot about them. I'm definitely interested, but now I might as well wait to see if they get the patented Nintendo 20-30% off treatment the next time there's a first party game sale, haha.

My suggestion would definitely be Ace attorney trilogy or the Great ace attorney collection, or if you want something with more of a horror bent, Zero escape.

This is an extremely dry game missing a ton of quality of life improvements from the past decades of advancements that I felt really showed its age.

The games themselves were fine, but I've really struggled to get through them compared to many other visual novels I've played.
It’s amazing to me that we haven’t gotten the zero escape trilogy on switch. Must have something to do with translation and publishing rights?

Famicom Detective Club is wonderful, Nintendo and Mages must continue to work on this franchise.

I would say probably not only because the interface is a bit clunky (it’s not obvious/intuitive you have to reuse menu options frequently especially in the first game, The Missing Heir), but if you are fairly patient the stories/characters are pretty neat and have a more adult tone than you might expect. If you are a Nintendo fan, there is nothing else like them which is very cool.

I think most people would probably recommend a hybrid visual novel that has a gameplay component like Ace Attorney or something VN adjacent like 13 Sentinels to get started.

If you are interested by all means jump in though. Most people I’ve seen who have tried them like them. Always good to try new things :)
I can't believe I never considered Ace Attorney! I started it last night and it's definitely scratching that itch. Loving it so far!

OP wait until you find out that Shin Onigashima is a thing.

The visual and audio style is utterly nuts for a 1987 game, but the nature of the original game's text (Displaying characters from top to bottom) makes remaking it a necessity.

Super interesting. I'm so in favor of older NES games like these getting remakes. Not to beat the Zelda II remake drum again but that'd be a great example to bring up to modern standards.

Yes, Nintendo has always used alternative distribution methods for Famitan since the 80's.
I see. I was looking to see if I could find any cheap physical, but now I know why I couldn't find any.

I'll wait for another sale. OP finished one of the games in 2 days so that doesn't sound promising.

I'd love to see a remake of the third Detective Club installment, BS Detective Club: Lost Memories in the Snow. It was a Super Famicom Satellaview title, broadcasted via the St.GIGA satellite (hence the title "BS"). Ayumi is the protagonist this time, trying to prove her mother's innocence. Satellaview games are among the least preserved titles ever distributed, and AFAIK no one outside of Nintendo has a functional copy of BS Detective Club today.

1037306-bs_tantei_club_titlescreen.png
1551185-b4.jpg
FTC3_Yuki_07.png
FTC3_Yuki_10.png
FTC3_Yuki_bonus09.png
FTC3_Yuki_bonus26.png

The producer (Makoto Asada) who pitched this to Nintendo says he would like to create a new entry in the series. It also seems like the titles met expectations so there is hope.

9IX1FEn.png
Oh, I missed this. MAGES being satisfied with the sales makes me very happy - The Girl Who Stands Behind is one of my favourite Nintendo games. With EPD7 seemingly focus on external collaborations and various Nintendo higher-ups saying they really liked the remakes some months ago, I'm now confident we'll see more Detective Club in the future!

... Although I'm conflicted between wanting more Detective Club games (including the remake of the Satellaview one!) and seeing the Famicom Mukashi Banashi series finally localized.

Slightly OT - someone is finally fantranslating Famicom Bunko: Hajimari no Mori, the spiritual successor to the Mukashi Banashi games by the same core team (EAD + PAX Softnica).

... Although I'm conflicted between wanting more Detective Club games (including the remake of the Satellaview one!) and seeing the Famicom Mukashi Banashi series finally localized.
Same producer said if given the opportunity he would like to remake Yuyuki.

Back
Top Bottom