• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP I played through the 2D Metroid series for the first time ever ahead of Metroid Dread's launch. Here are my thoughts on each game, and the series

(Late to the party)

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
Metroid-Dread-5.jpg

So, Metroid Dread is coming up, and it looks excellent, and I figured with it being the conclusion to the mainline saga arc, I should take this time to address a gap in my personal video games history that has gone unaddressed for too long - Metroid. I love Metroidvania games, and while I have played some of multiple Metroid titles in the past (notably, I had played a bit of the original, Super, Prime, Fusion, Prime 2, Prime 3, Zero Mission, and Samus Returns, and I've seen a fair bit of every other game in the series played), I'd never really completed one.

Time to change that.

I figured I'd do the 2D series ahead of Dread's launch. For this, I narrowed it down to the following games:

• Metroid Zero Mission (subbing in for the original)
  • Metroid Samus Returns (subbing in for Metroid 2)
  • Super Metroid
  • Metroid Fusion
I played all four of these games on my New 3DS - I had Fusion on there from the old Ambassador days, I had Super Metroid as a VC purchase, and I had Samus Returns from when it came out. I needed to figure out how to get Zero Mission on there, but that ended up being pretty trivial.

What this also means is that effectively, I played all games on native hardware - Super Metroid was the only emulated one (which did help, save states helped me deal with some of its more frustrating sections).

So with all that context out of the way, here's where I ended up landing on the series after having gone through them all one by one:

METROID: ZERO MISSION

Metroid-Zero-Mission.jpg

I loved Zero Mission. It's an absolute joy to play. The controls are snappy and instant, the world design encourages player engagement and curiosity but is kept manageable so you never feel lost, player guidance exists, but is never overt, and almost always optional (it might be totally optional, but I can't really say that either way since I engaged with it most chances I got). It's extremely well designed, and it's such a great example of the archetypical Metroidvania template. The world instantly has roadblocks that you know you can't get through yet, and powers help instantly recontextualize combat, traversal, and exploration. It's never obtuse, never unfair, and always a joy to play. I still boot it up every now and then just to run and jump around as Samus. She controls wonderfully, and the world is designed to be her playground.

Zero Mission even handles a forced stealth section well! While this kind of forced linearity is antithetical to Metroid design, it helps that it's only a short section here, and the payoff is amazing, especially with the more triumphant rendition of the Brinstar theme playing in the background. If I could only ever recommend one Metroid game to a newcomer, Zero Mission would be it - it's not the best game in the series, and it absolutely has shortcomings (bosses are too one note, the world design never reaches the highs of later games in the series, and I still can't figure out the space jump in this game reliably, lol), but it's a wonderful game, and it was a great way to kick off the marathon.

Final Rating: 8.5/10

METROID: SAMUS RETURNS

20051-MSRHero.jpg

Samus Returns is great, and honestly deserves a far better reputation than it has (though I understand it was a victim of the timing of its own release in more ways than one). The combat is top notch in this game (absolutely my favourite, actually), with some of the greatest boss battles in the series (Diggernaut and the final boss fight are both excellent), and the game also doing an excellent job of solidifying/rehabilitating (depending on your experience with the series up to this point) Samus' character, with some amazing in-game storytelling (notably, the moment Samus first encounters the Metroid larva, or the final boss fight, are incredible moments of storytelling). Samus Returns also has some excellent QoL (the Scan Pulse is probably the single best implementation of in game player guidance the 2D series has had - it gives you just enough information to try and parse out dead ends, but leaves everything else up to you; and even then it is optional!), the powers are among the most imaginative in the series, and while the broader p would rogression is linear, within individual areas, the design has some pretty high highs.

With all of these highs, Samus Returns does have multiple stumbles - but most of these are related either to it being tied to the hardware it is on (the 3DS is simply not suited to a quick combat focused action game, and controls for Samus Returns feel cramped; and 30fps is a huge step down from the other games in the series), or in adhering to the structure of the original game (the general linearity or the repetition in Metroid fights is what it is, you can't really get around that more than Samus Returns already does). In spite of my issues with it, Samus Returns gave me some of my fondest memories and highs from the whole series, and it gives me great confidence in MS and Nintendo's ability to achieve something truly special with Metroid Dread, unfettered as they will be by the shackles of the 3DS or a 30 year old Gameboy game.

Final Rating: 8/10

SUPER METROID

unknown.png

Alright, here's the big one. Super Metroid is so legendary, it's daunting going into it as (functionally) a first timer. It's impossible to not have the hype and the game's reputation, as well as your own awareness of it, influence you at least a little going in. Since Super Metroid was also going to be the oldest game in the series I would be playing, I was naturally unsure of exactly what my takeaway from it would be.

Man, this game lives up to its reputation. It is legitimately a masterpiece on all fronts - a masterpiece of mechanics, of world design, of storytelling (seriously, still some of the best in game storytelling today, and it achieves it without having to rely on monologues or cutscenes). Pitch perfect pacing, and so far ahead of its time in so many ways (it lets you totally remap controls, which is something most modern games still don't let you do!), gorgeous and perfect sprite art, and some of the greatest atmosphere in a game ever (which, remember, for a 30 year old game on a 240p dinkey handheld, is no mean feat).

I loved almost everything about Super Metroid, even its controls, which I had heard the most criticism for going in. Arguably, Super Metroid has the most effective controls in the series - you get totalcontrol over Samus, and the ease with which you can pull off advanced maneuvers and moves (such as shinesparking) lets even less advanced players engage with the world in non linear ways. The bosses were excellent (Draygon, Phantoon, Crocomire, and Mother Brain being the obvious highlights), and even in terms of QoL, Super Metroid holds up surprisingly well (as mentioned, the controls were remappable, which was a huge help, and having an X Ray Visor helped mostly recreate the Scan Pulse functionality as well). I do have some complaints - the in game map is definitely a pretty big step down from Zero Mission and especially Samus Returns, and fuck Maridia (and not just the tunnel either). But this is a game so perfect in almost everything it sets out to do, even its shortcomings don't diminish its shine. There's a reason it essentially created a genre that it still reigns at the top of - it is absolutely as good as the hype suggests.

Final Rating: 9.5/10

METROID FUSION

H2x1_GBA_MetroidFusion.jpg

I'm going to say a lot of nice stuff about Fusion first. For starters, I respect and admire the hell out of Fusion. To follow up on a game as legendary as Super Metroid is no mean feat, and to do it by going in the absolute opposite direction, defiantly sticking it to fan expectations percolated over eight years, takes a kind of audacity that you have to admire. Metroid Fusion is anathema to the Metroid template - it's a hyper linear game, constantly showing you where to go, keeping you on a short leash, restricting progress and exploration for overt storytelling (via dialog and cutscenes), but it makes it work. It's still Metroid, Samus is still Samus, and the micro-Metroidvania progression loops in the game feel really satisfying. The emphasis on boss fights (with some really imaginative ones thrown in there), science fiction body horror, and the almost survival horror style feel introduced with the game constantly trapping you and boxing you in with almost invincible enemies, helps Metroid Fusion carve out a great identity for itself.

Fusion is also a great sequel in terms of story and storytelling. Samus has far more dialog, but she still feels quintessentially Samus, and Adam is an actual sympathetic character in this game (compared to what I've seen of him in Other M), and the final cliffhanger with Samus defying the Federation and ultimately going rogue is such a bold direction to take the story (and it should be resolved... very soon now).

With all of this said - I do not enjoy this direction from a gameplay perspective as much. I mean I still like it enough, and there's zero denying how well it is done, but this is absolutely not what I am looking for in a Metroid game. I wouldn't even mind a more linear or narrative driven focus, but Fusion is toolinear, arbitrarily blocking me from even going back and exploring areas I already have for no real reason. It's a great linear narrative action adventure game - but that's not what I want from Metroid at all, and while I really respect where Fusion goes and what it does, it's really not what I want from Metroid games going forward. Ultimately, it's a very good game and I am glad I played it, but it is absolutely my least favourite game in the series, and I want very little of it imbibed in future games.

Final Rating: 7.5/10

---

This was a long undertaking, but I am honestly glad I did it. These are four very well done games, each among the top of the batch at what it does. Playing through them gives me a lot of hope for Metroid Dread - I think the ideal Metroid game is one that can have the controls and accessibility of Zero Mission, the combat and QoL of Samus Returns, the world design and atmosphere of Super, and the tension of Fusion, and honestly, Dread looks like it might just be that.

And even without considering Dread, playing through the stalwarts of a game style I enjoy so much was an enriching experience. If nothing else, it gave me at the very least three games I love a whole lot, so I would say this was an incredibly successful endeavour, and I'm excited to repeat this with the Prime Trilogy ahead of Prime 4... hopefully.

Last edited:
Glad you FINALLY got around to them! I think I have the exact same ranking - Super>ZM>SR>Fusion.

Sometimes I want to put Fusion over SR because the atmosphere sticks so much more, but I really do think I enjoy SR more from a gameplay and level design perspective.

Also is the opening graphic supposed to be all the 2D games? The last one is Echoes art : P

Glad you FINALLY got around to them! I think I have the exact same ranking - Super>ZM>SR>Fusion.

Sometimes I want to put Fusion over SR because the atmosphere sticks so much more, but I really do think I enjoy SR more from a gameplay and level design perspective.

Also is the opening graphic supposed to be all the 2D games? The last one is Echoes art : P
Yeah I fixed it lol, I had three tabs open and I copied the wrong one over.

Honestly, I think for me, SM>ZM>SR are in a whole other league from Fusion. I really didn't like Fusion (the more time passes, the less I like it). Which isn't to say it's not great, it's just... not the kind of game I like, and certainly not what I want from Metroid.

Yeah I fixed it lol, I had three tabs open and I copied the wrong one over.

Honestly, I think for me, SM>ZM>SR are in a whole other league from Fusion. I really didn't like Fusion (the more time passes, the less I like it). Which isn't to say it's not great, it's just... not the kind of game I like, and certainly not what I want from Metroid.
Completely agree, I love the vibe and horror aspect they leaned into, but it’s just not what I want from the series.

Also regarding SR, I’m glad you liked the boss fights. I really enjoyed them on my replay too. I know people complained but I think they’re VASTLY better than previous games in the series. I felt like I actually had to learn attack patterns, whereas in prior games, it really felt like just spamming whatever you have and hoping you dodge good enough and don’t die.

Particularly Diggernaut. He’s annoyingly punishing in that he hits super hard, but I LOVE that they adapted a more puzzle like boss in the vein of the Prime games. He’s basically 2D Quadraxis, which I consider one of the best bosses of all time

Completely agree, I love the vibe and horror aspect they leaned into, but it’s just not what I want from the series.

Also regarding SR, I’m glad you liked the boss fights. I really enjoyed them on my replay too. I know people complained but I think they’re VASTLY better than previous games in the series. I felt like I actually had to learn attack patterns, whereas in prior games, it really felt like just spamming whatever you have and hoping you dodge good enough and don’t die.

Particularly Diggernaut. He’s annoyingly punishing in that he hits super hard, but I LOVE that they adapted a more puzzle like boss in the vein of the Prime games.
Diggernaut was an excellent fight. Everything about it - from the buildup over several hours, the music, the actual design of the fight, and the payoff at the end - was perfect. I didn't think I would like any 2D Metroid fight more than it... but then we get to the final fight of the game, and that's in contention for one of my favourite boss fights in a game ever lol.

Honestly, SR has the best boss design in the series, and I really hope Dread takes from it.

Diggernaut was an excellent fight. Everything about it - from the buildup over several hours, the music, the actual design of the fight, and the payoff at the end - was perfect. I didn't think I would like any 2D Metroid fight more than it... but then we get to the final fight of the game, and that's in contention for one of my favourite boss fights in a game ever lol.

Honestly, SR has the best boss design in the series, and I really hope Dread takes from it.
Yeah people complained about that final fight for story reasons and because it differs from the original game, but the fight itself is definitely amazing, as is the mood they set for it.

Those being the two original boss encounters MS did for Samus Returns, and how they each had such a good buildup makes me so excited for Dread’s bosses

Yeah people complained about that final fight for story reasons and because it differs from the original game, but the fight itself is definitely amazing, as is the mood they set for it.

Those being the two original boss encounters MS did for Samus Returns, and how they each had such a good buildup makes me so excited for Dread’s bosses
In general I've only seen positive reactions to the last fight; the mixed reception I see is to the sequence leading up to it (which I do get, but eh, I never played the original, and I have no attachment for that specific interpretation of the final stretch, and within Samus Returns being what it is, I enjoyed the last stretch just fine).

But yeah the final boss I usually only see positive reactions for lol

Good write ups, especially on Samus Returns, which I also think is a bit underrated. I played Super Metroid for the first time earlier this year, and fully expected it to be somewhat dated and intimidating, but once I got rolling, it was really easy to just lose yourself in the game. It's a fun video game, not some gaming cred homework assignment like I initially thought it might be.

In general I've only seen positive reactions to the last fight; the mixed reception I see is to the sequence leading up to it (which I do get, but eh, I never played the original, and I have no attachment for that specific interpretation of the final stretch, and within Samus Returns being what it is, I enjoyed the last stretch just fine).

But yeah the final boss I usually only see positive reactions for lol
Oh yeah the fight itself is positively recieved, but it just taints the original’s mood for some people

I highly recommend going back to Metroid 2 (on the gameboy). It holds up better than you would think, plus there's the appreciation you'll gain seeing what Samus Returns came from.

Can't really do much of the same with the first game, but check that out for 10 minutes anyway too.

Welcome to the party! Glad you enjoyed your time. I tried playing Metroid on the NES back in the day, but found it too confusing. I was hesitant to play Super because of this, but boy am I glad I decided to make the plunge. The map really made a world of difference. Not to mention the great audio/visual presentation and amazing gameplay. I was finally able to enjoy the original with Zero Mission. I too feel Fusion is the weakest, but still a good game overall. Can't wait for Dread!

Nice write-up. Fusion is the game that got me into the series, and one I still very much love to this day, but I believe your thoughts on it are fair. Generally speaking, we appreciate it for things like the boss fights, the horror tone, the atmosphere, and the music, but dislike the hand holding and linearity.

Fusion really ended up shaping a lot of my later gaming taste, actually. I'll always credit it with being my first "survival horror" type game, and with Dread, it seems as though they've doubled down on that, which is perfect.

I highly recommend going back to Metroid 2 (on the gameboy). It holds up better than you would think, plus there's the appreciation you'll gain seeing what Samus Returns came from.

Can't really do much of the same with the first game, but check that out for 10 minutes anyway too.
I do have Metroid 2 from around Samus Returns' release (wasn't it a part of the game's special edition? I think that's how I got it).

I will hopefully dive into it some time. I just knew that if I tried to make it a part of this marathon I would have stalled my momentum, so I just stuck to the remakes with enough QoLs for me to be able to wrangle them 😅
Welcome to the party! Glad you enjoyed your time. I tried playing Metroid on the NES back in the day, but found it too confusing. I was hesitant to play Super because of this, but boy am I glad I decided to make the plunge. The map really made a world of difference. Not to mention the great audio/visual presentation and amazing gameplay. I was finally able to enjoy the original with Zero Mission. I too feel Fusion is the weakest, but still a good game overall. Can't wait for Dread!
Oh yeah, the original NES game is a nightmare lol. I am personally of the opinion that the NES Metroid and Zelda games are not good games. I mean obviously they have the genesis of something greater, but as standalone games, they are badly designed. They are from an era where there was an expectation and/or desire to sell Nintendo Power and counsellor helpline subscriptions. But they are not good games in and of themselves.

But yeah, even that aside, the evolution of the series has been great to see even for a newcomer like me. I am hopeful Dread takes the best from each game!

Nice write-up. Fusion is the game that got me into the series, and one I still very much love to this day, but I believe your thoughts on it are fair. Generally speaking, we appreciate it for things like the boss fights, the horror tone, the atmosphere, and the music, but dislike the hand holding and linearity.

Fusion really ended up shaping a lot of my later gaming taste, actually. I'll always credit it with being my first "survival horror" type game, and with Dread, it seems as though they've doubled down on that, which is perfect.
Yeah, the bosses, horror tone, and atmosphere in Fusion are incredible. Zero arguments there. Like I said, I actually do really appreciate for what it is, and I think it's a really well made game for what it tries to go for. I even appreciate it as a Metroid game in context of being an 8 years late handheld only follow up to a game as legendary as Super Metroid - it has the audacity to try its own thing in the exact opposite direction after that, and it pulls it off so well too. It's just my personal preferences it doesn't match, but Fusion is an incredible game nonetheless.

It's funny. I'm partway through Fusion right now, and my journey went:

Super --> Zero Mission --> Samus Returns --> Fusion

So far, unless Fusion gets better near the end, my list goes:

1. Zero Mission
2. Super
3. Samus Returns
4. Fusion

But the one I'm most excited to revisit in the future is easily Super. I think I had a tough go of it with it being my first Metroid, and I truly can't stand Maridia, but the world and atmosphere have stuck with me intensely.

very nice write up. i've been trying to basically do the same thing, but been held back by real life (i've only started samus returns, and have completed zero mission thus far).

I'm doing the same at the moment. I'm currently a couple of hours away from finishing Samus Returns and I have to say I've really enjoyed the gameplay improvements. The map, atmosphere and music isn't as good but actually playing the game is great fun. I was expecting it to be kind of poor because the internet isn't very kind to it. I haven't started fusion yet, so I'm probably not going to finish it in time before Dread gets here :(.

Oh yeah, the original NES game is a nightmare lol. I am personally of the opinion that the NES Metroid and Zelda games are not good games. I mean obviously they have the genesis of something greater, but as standalone games, they are badly designed. They are from an era where there was an expectation and/or desire to sell Nintendo Power and counsellor helpline subscriptions. But they are not good games in and of themselves.
Man, as someone who first made a serious attempt at the original Metroid just a few years ago, this hurts me. There's a hostility and vibe to that game that hasn't been matched, and as long as you know to bomb every floor in one-screen rooms, there's not actually much left in the way of obscurity. Once you've picked up the combat, you can approach it like a legit Metroidvania and it works.

Zelda gives you hints for most of its obscure stuff via the people in caves, but several of the English translations are wtf, I'll give you that.

I don't think these games were designed with Nintendo Power in mind (was that even a thing in Japan?) as much as Nintendo was still learning how to approach home console games coming off of arcades.

Both are games designed with the instruction manual in mind. I'm still sad Nintendo doesn't host all the manuals for NSO games, but manuals for games included with the NES and SNES classic can be found on their site.

Back
Top Bottom