• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I like the "Yeah!" function here.

Cow Mengde

Piranha Plant
For me, it's not about popularity contest like places like Reddit. Sometimes a "yeah!" is just a good way to acknowledge or agree with someone without having to reply since I don't have anything important to add to the discussion. Or sometimes I use it to send gratitude to someone for providing me with info.

I originally thought the same thing. But, unfortunately, I have seen where it can also be used as a bludgeon against posters with minority opinions.

i think Install Base has the best version of the upvote at the moment.

i.e the 'Thanks!' button, the numbers of which are only shown to the poster themselves and no one else. can't have a popularity contest if there's no contest at all

I originally thought the same thing. But, unfortunately, I have seen where it can also be used as a bludgeon against posters with minority opinions.
Eh, it's not like Reddit where only the most upvotes comments are visible. Every post has equal standing

The way I see it: sometimes, ya ratio, other times, you get ratio'd. I've def been on both sides.

Sometimes a "yeah!" is just a good way to acknowledge or agree with someone without having to reply since I don't have anything important to add to the discussion.
This is why I like it. Also nice if somebody replies to one of your posts and you want to let them know you saw and acknowledged the response but don't necessarily want to respond again.

The way I see it: sometimes, ya ratio, other times, you get ratio'd. I've def been on both sides.
That’s my point. It’s not entirely positive. It can be used to shame other users. That’s not good.

I’m not advocating against yeahs. I like the concept. I’m just saying in the wrong hands it can be used to bully other people.

That’s my point. It’s not entirely positive. It can be used to shame other users. That’s not good.

I’m not advocating against yeahs. I like the concept. I’m just saying in the wrong hands it can be used to bully other people.

The thing is, yeah here aren't that in your face. I only notice them when people click on my post. I pretty much never paid attention or notice the yeahs on other people's posts unless I'm clicking to acknowledge it.

Or maybe that's just me.

The thing is, yeah here aren't that in your face. I only notice them when people click on my post. I pretty much never paid attention or notice the yeahs on other people's posts unless I'm clicking to acknowledge it.

Or maybe that's just me.

Same here. Except when another poster rubs your face in the fact that their opinion as more likes than yours. That’s the example I’m talking about.

Yea I don't like it at all. In the old way. opinions are seemingly weighted equally. This way not so much. It low-key comes across as a popularity contest, especially when the forum has heavy click vibes to it. I don't find it beneficial to the whole forum. As someone that mods 3 pages on reddit, it was nice to just not have the extra "upvote" element here.

Yeah, I understand. As it stands, it's not really a perfectly ideal system. I'm sure it'll be refined over time, though.

Yea I don't like it at all. In the old way. opinions are seemingly weighted equally. This way not so much. It low-key comes across as a popularity contest, especially when the forum has heavy click vibes to it. I don't find it beneficial to the whole forum. As someone that mods 3 pages on reddit, it was nice to just not have the extra "upvote" element here.
I think this is a better system because all opinions obviously shouldn't be weighted equally. Yeahs are preferable to a dog pile or 20 people piling in to say "I agree, that post is wrong".

Of course the downside is people who say go to a private chat or discord and say "everyone please yeah my post" when they get in an argument, but I doubt people do something that silly.

The problem with weighing opinions is that you give people the vibe they are not welcome here if they end up on the wrong side of those yeahs.
Says who? If you aren't breaking any rules, you are welcome here. Don't let other people tell you that you don't belong, whether they do so passively through the yeah system or aggressively through the posting system.

Time for a No! button.

2570222-10840032905_75f4300f09_o.jpg

The problem with weighing opinions is that you give people the vibe they are not welcome here if they end up on the wrong side of those yeahs.

Or if they don't get any YEAHS at all. We have to deal with likes and upvotes all over the internet...it would be great not to deal with it here.

I think it is unrealistic and honestly gross to expect people to change by socially bullying them in an online forum about Nintendo games
Well like I said, maybe I'm just naive. But there are plenty of great games I would have missed out on if I didn't listen to people who told me they were good, for example. I'm always grateful for an opportunity like that.

I like the Yeah! function, Yeah! As long as it focuses on positivity and/or agreeance. The moment we put a No! button is the moment this forum starts destroying itself and BOTW2 is finally delayed.

I definitely like the yeah system, mostly because I'm a sucker for miiverse stuff. it's also nice to be able to gauge where the majority opinion on an issue is, and to be able to interact with posts in a quick, positive way in situations where a reply is overkill

What would the site think if I made it so Yeah!s are optionally visible to the individual user

Like you could go into the settings and turn them off so you don't see them, but they're on by default

that's a great choice; this being said imo an argument made here is that it isn't about perception, but the yeah system potentially drives the direction of conversation in subtle but unexpected ways, which is a interesting point with i think some precedent but famiboards is still kinda young that there isn't a lot of examples.

on topic i'm ambivalent towards the yeah system, but i can't really make a strong argument to why it should either stay or leave; it ends up just kinda being incorporated into the forum's posting style.

What would the site think if I made it so Yeah!s are optionally visible to the individual user

Like you could go into the settings and turn them off so you don't see them, but they're on by default
That sounds like a decent idea.

I like the feature personally, but I’m not one to engage in popularity contests (because I know I’ll never win any). It’s nice to get and send the odd Yeah!

the only issue I could see here is that the folks who choose to turn off yeahs will miss out on a dynamic of the conversations they're engaging in, and some stuff might go over their heads because of that

the only issue I could see here is that the folks who choose to turn off yeahs will miss out on a dynamic of the conversations they're engaging in, and some stuff might go over their heads because of that

That's the other side of the same coin of the argument that Yeah's influence conversation

Any stuff that needs to be brought up should be brought up with them in conversation.

Expecting everyone to read social queues from Yeahs and inform discussion is too big an ask when you can't even guarantee that all users can pick up social queues generally.

Yeahs are great for letting users know you agree with them, but they shouldn't be anything more than that.

I think this is a good idea, but I'm not sure how effective it would be. Maybe they can speak to it themselves, but I would assume that the people who view Yeahs as a competition (which they shouldn't be imo) would keep them on out of curiosity.

What about the option to turn off the ability to receive yeahs on your posts? That way people who want to opt out of the social game don’t have to be pulled into it by those that do.

“Wow my yeahs are so much higher than yours. You must really be unpopular.”

“My posts cannot be yeah’d so whatever. We will never know how much more popular my post would have been.”

It can also help to cut down on yeah spam.

What about the option to turn off the ability to receive yeahs on your posts? That way people who want to opt out of the social game don’t have to be pulled into it by those that do.

“Wow my yeahs are so much higher than yours. You must really be unpopular.”

“My posts cannot be yeah’d so whatever. We will never know how much more popular my post would have been.”

It can also help to cut down on yeah spam.
This isn't a bad idea! That way somebody wouldn't need to worry about if people would want to Yeah their post or not. And for sure it would cut down on Yeah spam, which is something I hadn't thought about.

Same here. Except when another poster rubs your face in the fact that their opinion as more likes than yours. That’s the example I’m talking about.
That happened? Seems like an incredibly tacky thing to do, ngl.

Edit: I had at first missed the post where you confirmed that this happened to you and I stand by my opinion of such behavior.

Last edited:
I think this is a better system because all opinions obviously shouldn't be weighted equally. Yeahs are preferable to a dog pile or 20 people piling in to say "I agree, that post is wrong".

Of course the downside is people who say go to a private chat or discord and say "everyone please yeah my post" when they get in an argument, but I doubt people do something that silly.

I agree with Brock. Yeahs are one of the best functions of this forum. Say for example, somebody posts something very offensive, and another user replies to explain why they are wrong to believe that. The Yeah system allows people to express their approval without having a million replies going "Great post!" "I agree!" or responding with some kind of gif. It also allows users who say, were part of some kind of group the offensive post was targeting, to express their approval of the reply when they may not feel comfortable directly engaging.

I can't see how one opinion getting a lot of yeahs and another getting none even remotely counts as harassment or dog piling. Its just a lowkey way for people to show approval and/or amusement.

My favorite part of the "Yeah" system is being able to acknowledge someone's comment about something - say, they point out something they liked about a game - without writing a post. Sometimes I don't have something meaningful to contribute and I just want to say "hey, I like this!" or "hey, I think this way, too!" and the Yeah system works really well for that.

Upvotes/liked posts were one of my favorite features from a past community I was in. I was pretty adamant about keeping them when we were building the site, haha.

I think the yeah system is in a good spot right now, it doesn't feel like people are making posts just to get yeahs and it's nice to not have to waste a post just to say "agreed." Being able to hide them on a user to user basis is a good idea though.

But it is sort of odd to yeah a post about a serious topic I must admit lol

I'm not personally a huge fan since I feel it might discourage actual discourse. Like it's cool, but if people just do that and don't talk about what you said it kind of ruins the intent of a forum.

Even if users do post for the sake of getting Yeahs, is that really any different to a witty one liner intended to get two pages of 'LOL' and reaction gif posts?

I mean besides Yeahs being a simple compact number and not post clutter.

Like I just don't get what exactly Yeahs promote that isn't already endemic to general forum posting culture, as if forum posting was some sacrosanct solemnity until someone added a like button.

Back
Top Bottom