• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP I just beat The Great Ace Attorney for the first time

(Late to the party)

Cantaim

Shriekbat
It was certainly an interesting ride. It's also a title I'd been dying to play for years now. As I've played literally every Ace Attorney game except the two GAA titles (please don't talk about the second game I've yet to start it). I went into the game blind and new almost nothing about it outside of it taking place in Britain and you getting to hang out with the great Sherlock Holmes Herlock Shlomes. Which needless to say got me really curious for years. I was dying to know was he friend or foe? Would he adventure with you or against you? Would be an ace detective or a fraud you have to uncover? Well as anyone would know based on my title I finally got my answer after all these years! To make this thread an easier read I'll break my topics down into points.

1. Music:
Thankfully this game is like every other AA game in that is has a really great soundtrack! I don't know if I'd say it had one of the best tracks in the series but there were multiple tracks that I thought were standout greats in the game for evoking my emotions. my first example is a good 1-2 punch the game does with two specific tracks which are done so well I think some players may never even notice they are two different scores.

The first of the two is actually the title screen song. I'm a fan of this one and it's build up. It's a great little tune to hear as you start the game up. It gives you the heads up that the adventure you are going to have is one that is going to be filled with suspense! In fact the suspense and build up is so good this song pulls double duty and it is also the song that plays when you turn the tables on someone in court! Which is really important because you have all of this momentum just building and building until both narratively and musically something comes out. Something powerful, something almost nostalgic, something that has to be said when contradictions present themselves! That's right this song is called "prelude to adventure" not only because it's the first track you hear. But also because it's usually the track you hear right before.

The objection track hits! As I said the build up with Prelude is what makes this one hit quite well in bigger cases. I don't have much to say about this piece as well... What else is there to say? The Objection theme is usually the most popular theme in any AA game and GAA is no different in this case!

For one last piece I'd like to highlight (as this stuck out to me) is a bit of a more innocuous bit of music that foreshadows rather well I believe.

Yup it's the music box! specifically this track plays early on in case 5 when Herlock is explaining to our MC how music boxes work. A lovely small little piece that is equal parts beautiful and slightly twisted. As if the music box knows that as the case continues these devices that are supposed to bring joy. Will be revealed to be the center point of a tragedy.

2. Setting:
I may not have as much to say on this as I do on the music but what I will say is I loved the setting of GAA! The city of London was a breath of fresh air for me and I was having a blast every time the game showed off a new part of the city. My only wish is that we saw more! The game did a fantastic job at contrasting (even if it didn't do it a lot)/ How miserable it is to not be well off in London vs being well off (almost like this is a theme...). But ah I have to cut this section short or else I just start posting screen shots of all the areas haha. Old time London is a jam of mine with the horse drawn carriages in the middle of winter. So needless to say I was in hog heaven when I found out there was even a case based on that premise!

3. Story
Here we are the final stretch! I'll try not to get into too much detail about it as I could type thousands of words about the story recapping it if I wanted. Instead I'd like to talk about what the story did that I thought was fascinating. The first thing that I loved about the story and never saw coming. Was just how hard the game went to bat for immigrants and the downtrodden of society. While scorning the privileged and rich. An example of this is viewable in the very first case. We have multiple parties trying to cover up the existence of a mysterious British woman who killed a man in broad daylight. And even your fellow country men tricked you into defending yourself in order to ensure you would not drag down your destined to be more successful best friend into oblivion with you.

it's a fun twist on the story formula imo. With one exception you are always defending people society deems lesser and has no problems abusing to achieve their own ends (yes this happens in all AA games but in GAA I felt like this was far more prevalent as a major theme). With one notable exception you by and large defend the people society wants nothing to do with I.E. Immigrants and the poor. Which was a great way to play into the general idea of justice in Britain being off. With the weakest and most vulnerable members of society being the ones that have to go into trials with 0 chance of a fair trial.

This leads into my second point which is the final trial. I gotta say I think this might be my favorite "twist" of a fifth trial in the entire series. But it might not be for the reasons you think. It's because I loved the fact that it was a flipped version of your first trial in Britain. Just like in the first trial the second the actual killer takes the stand. Things start shifting weirdly. The killer knows things they shouldn't know and the police seem to be unusually uncooperative. Just spiraling out of control until you realize you're being played with a rigged trial. The reason I love this? Because the game oh so subtly put you in the exact shoes of this games prosecutor Barok Van Zieks! The anger and frustration you felt as you knew you were being played and cheated must have been the exact way he felt during the first trail against him. That feeling of knowing that no matter how much you pin the killer down. Some new crooked explanation or evidence will pop up to undo it all.

Loved it so much. Really made me understand why he had such a hatred for us. After all why wouldn't he? He saw us trick and cheat our way to a not guilty verdict in our very first trial. I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed in the second game that he believed for a time that we cheated our way out of the second trial against him too.

I am not one for writing great wrap ups to my LLTP threads. So I guess I shall end it here. I'm curious to hear everyone else thoughts on this game. Did y'all like it or did you find it to be just alright?

The first game didn’t quite start hitting for me until the final trial where the stakes get upped. The first three cases especially felt like extended tutorials. I really, really enjoyed the second game however.

In both, I loved the characters, especially the main four. Hope we get another adventure with them down the road.

The first game didn’t quite start hitting for me until the final trial where the stakes get upped. The first three cases especially felt like extended tutorials. I really, really enjoyed the second game however.

In both, I really liked the characters, especially the main four. Hope we get another adventure with them down the road.
I feel like the games main issue is right after the tutorial trial you get thrown into a new case which is just a tutorial about the new deduction gameplay. Which I'll be honest kinda sucked. So by default you're walking into a game with less trials off the bat and as a result it takes awhile to go anywhere.

I still need to play the second game but yeah, the AA outs are always fantastic but damn, this games just has a lot of great musical cues reacting to what was happening even above the other games. Absolutely loved it.

I feel like the games main issue is right after the tutorial trial you get thrown into a new case which is just a tutorial about the new deduction gameplay. Which I'll be honest kinda sucked. So by default you're walking into a game with less trials off the bat and as a result it takes awhile to go anywhere.
The investigation portions have always been the less exciting, and often tedious side of Ace Attorney, so I actually really like the deduction segments as I think they introduce a bit more flair and excitement that you normally only get in trials.

I actually really like case 2 of GAA1. I do enjoy the much more somber, melancholic mood of the whole thing, and I like how it plays with series conventions by giving you an investigations only case. After 6 games of pretty rigid formula I enjoyed seeing them try different things in Chronicles.

GAA is literally my GOTY. Also... you're not ready for the second game. I don't care if this is a hot take but it is literally the best AA game in franchise. Everything is just done so well.

Ahh well you're in for quite the treat with the 2nd game. I personally see both games as one whole game because either or don't really feel complete on their own. With the both of them put together, I had a great time and I can't wait to see more AA in the future. Crossing my fingers that this isn't the last we've seen of them

Play the second game, it's even better. When it comes to the first game, though, my favorites are the last two cases. Natsume's case is important for the whole story imo (though it might not seem like it at first) and the fact that it was a real person (who indeed had a very hard time in London) gives it even more depth. I gotta read his book Kokoro. In fact, every single case in the first game brings something to set the stage for the grand finale in the second one.

Since you enjoyed the first game you'll have a blast with the second! Like SuperFakeBros said, i would also consider both games to be one whole game.

It does feel very refreshing to play an AA game in a different setting, and the translators did such a superb job of getting the dialogue to feel old and authentic enough without being difficult to read.

I still need to play the second game but yeah, the AA outs are always fantastic but damn, this games just has a lot of great musical cues reacting to what was happening even above the other games. Absolutely loved it.
Yea I was honestly blown away by it. This one really feels like the composer was given a far more clear idea and feedback during development so everyone made sure everything hit just right.

The investigation portions have always been the less exciting, and often tedious side of Ace Attorney, so I actually really like the deduction segments as I think they introduce a bit more flair and excitement that you normally only get in trials.
I don’t know just was not landing for me. I found it as engaging as dual destinies environment puzzles (at least I think it was that game that had puzzles like that).

Also for the rest of the thread I am looking forward to the second game! Definitely felt like this was a game where the intent was to play both games back to back. Cause the first one left a lot of plot threads dangling. Even more so then a normal AA game.

GAA was a fun ride. Makes me want to go back and play the other Ace Attorney games..... I'll get to it eventually lol.

I just started case 4 and so far it's been... okay. I wasn't really feeling the last 3DS entry either so maybe these games just aren't for me anymore. I still adore the first few Ace Attorney games and will finish GAA but it's mostly felt like a chore playing it.

I just started case 4 and so far it's been... okay. I wasn't really feeling the last 3DS entry either so maybe these games just aren't for me anymore. I still adore the first few Ace Attorney games and will finish GAA but it's mostly felt like a chore playing it.
Honestly, I'd say this series doesn't pick up proper till the 2nd game. The 1st game would only be okay for me but the 2nd game is great stuff. Kinda like the Miles Edgeworth: Investigations games

I have started the second game. Did not expect to be playing the character that I was playing. Sadly I’ve yet to enter the court room. Literally just got to do some of the intro stuff before I had to stop.

I feel the first two cases kind of drag a bit.

I think the problem is that, because they knew Ace Attorney's basic concepts have been done many times before, they tried to ramp up the tension by cutting the chase and starting with two pretty dramatic cases that put the protagonist under a lot of strain. But ... those don't really allow the characters a lot of breathing room, which creates some sort of lifeless and going-through-the-motions introductions to the main cast. At least, that's the impression I get as someone who only played the first two games prior. It's funny how trying to up the stakes and do things slightly out of order in the beginning of the game actually ended up making the game harder to connect to, AND didn't really erase the repetition of the basic concepts presented either.

That being said, once you get to Case 3 I think the game becomes great in my opinion. I really, REALLY love how whereas the first two games (and I assume the original trilogy as a whole) were about what it meant to be a good lawyer, with Edgeworth doing most of the self-discovery, The Great Ace Attorney is all about what it means to be a lawyer as a person & from a moral standpoint, with all the social commentary about racism attached to it.

Not to mention, at least in my opinion, most of the flat-out great tracks from the OST aren't introduced till Case 3, coincidentally.

Honestly, I'd say this series doesn't pick up proper till the 2nd game. The 1st game would only be okay for me but the 2nd game is great stuff. Kinda like the Miles Edgeworth: Investigations games
I loved the Edgeworth investigations games, but part of that was because I love Edgeworth and Detective Gumshoe. For GAA I like the main cast but I don’t know them that well yet.
I feel the first two cases kind of drag a bit.

I think the problem is that, because they knew Ace Attorney's basic concepts have been done many times before, they tried to ramp up the tension by cutting the chase and starting with two pretty dramatic cases that put the protagonist under a lot of strain. But ... those don't really allow the characters a lot of breathing room, which creates some sort of lifeless and going-through-the-motions introductions to the main cast. At least, that's the impression I get as someone who only played the first two games prior. It's funny how trying to up the stakes and do things slightly out of order in the beginning of the game actually ended up making the game harder to connect to, AND didn't really erase the repetition of the basic concepts presented either.

That being said, once you get to Case 3 I think the game becomes great in my opinion. I really, REALLY love how whereas the first two games (and I assume the original trilogy as a whole) were about what it meant to be a good lawyer, with Edgeworth doing most of the self-discovery, The Great Ace Attorney is all about what it means to be a lawyer as a person & from a moral standpoint, with all the social commentary about racism attached to it.

Not to mention, at least in my opinion, most of the flat-out great tracks from the OST aren't introduced till Case 3, coincidentally.
When it comes to the first case, it dragged on for me since I’m tired of Ace Attorney games making the first case a tutorial. But I agree that they definitely tried to change things up, the changes just haven’t worked for me so far.

The ending was the only interesting part for me when it comes to case 3. I didn’t like any of the characters involved in the case, and I didn’t really like the parts involving the jury. It also went on for too long. I did like the 2nd case, the one that is just an investigation on the ship.

I’ve only just started the 4th case but apparently the victim is alive. Maybe I’m forgetting, but I don’t think that’s happened before in an Ace Attorney game. So I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Won’t read the thread because I am too still playing the first game but man this is really good! So far it lacks a bit on the humour of the original trilogy but this release is freaking amazing. I wish 5/6 got this treatment! Also I never thought I’d say this (didn’t get the trilogy remakes yet, are they comparable?) but I’m totally sold on the move to 3D for the first time since the switch (eerm) from my beloved pixel art happened… art is sooo good and retains all the character and animation nuances the series has been known for up until Miles’ AAI2. I’m loving it! The music… is serviceable but so far not as memorable for me, and that is a huge part of my AA love, but hopefully it’ll make more of an impact on me as I keep playing…. the amount of content on this release is enormous and I’m glad I’ve imported the US physical collection (I’m 90% digital nowadays).

Sorry for the 2+ year bump, but this seems like the most appropriate thread to ask this—is anyone aware of any good summary of the events of the first part of TGAAC (Adventures)? My partner and I played it, uhh, years ago at this point, and we’ve been meaning to get around to playing the second part but just haven’t done so yet. With Another Code: Recollection coming out next week, we hope to maybe get around to finally playing it before (if possible) or right after that. Problem is, it’s been so long that we’ve forgotten much of the game now, lol. From what I can gather through searching online, it doesn’t seem like the second part includes any kind of synopsis of the first part (please correct me if that’s not the case, though!), and I’ve not been able to find any good video summaries of the first part online or anything like that either. Would anyone happen to know if such a thing exists? Or if it would even be necessary? I want to finally get around to finishing this game, but I’m just worried we’re gonna be missing a lot by having already forgotten so much of the first part…

Sorry for the 2+ year bump, but this seems like the most appropriate thread to ask this—is anyone aware of any good summary of the events of the first part of TGAAC (Adventures)? My partner and I played it, uhh, years ago at this point, and we’ve been meaning to get around to playing the second part but just haven’t done so yet. With Another Code: Recollection coming out next week, we hope to maybe get around to finally playing it before (if possible) or right after that. Problem is, it’s been so long that we’ve forgotten much of the game now, lol. From what I can gather through searching online, it doesn’t seem like the second part includes any kind of synopsis of the first part (please correct me if that’s not the case, though!), and I’ve not been able to find any good video summaries of the first part online or anything like that either. Would anyone happen to know if such a thing exists? Or if it would even be necessary? I want to finally get around to finishing this game, but I’m just worried we’re gonna be missing a lot by having already forgotten so much of the first part…

I played the games back to back so I can't really give you assurance, but these were games that released individually originally, I have vague recollection they do the traditional sequel job of giving you necessary backstory when relevant. You might be surprised what comes back to you as you play? But I guess you have to be very careful to google anything you aren't sure about, lol.

I did a quick Google and the Ace Attorney wiki for the first part https://aceattorney.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Ace_Attorney:_Adventures seems to have short and long summaries of cases, I just wouldn't click through to specific character pages that would bridge across games 🤔

I wonder if we’ll a TGAA3. If we do, hopefully it’s a one-off type of game, no try to get another duology. There’s little to be told, but it’d be worth one last visit to this awesome world they’ve built!

I wonder if we’ll a TGAA3. If we do, hopefully it’s a one-off type of game, no try to get another duology. There’s little to be told, but it’d be worth one last visit to this awesome world they’ve built!
Yea the story is open and shut but I’d be open to a third entry. This series has my favorite cast since the original trilogy. Meaning I’m always down for one more adventure haha.

I have no idea how they could possibly escalate from the ending of 2, but if they want to try, I’ll be there.

Also, while this thread is bumped, gonna give a shout out to Ghost Trick, same creator, and definitely scratches that Ace Attorney itch while being fantastic in its own right.

I rarely play Ace Attorney games but consider this duology to be among the best of those I've played.

Also, here's a fun fact: you know Vilen Borshevik? That might be the most deep-cut pun in the entire franchise that also speaks to how they actually researched Russian unlike many other games that even feature the language (MGS3 and 5 come to mind)

There's the obvious Bolshevik-borsh pun, and "vile" in the name, but the real cool thing is that Vilen was an actual early Soviet name which, as was the style at the time, was an allusion to current events, because "VILen" is a shortening of Vladimir Ilyich LENin.

I might as well high jack this thread while it's on the front page.

If I want to jump in on this franchise, should I just jump in from the first game or is it better to go with GAA or even Apollo which is releasing soon.

Me and my wife really enjoyed the writing of Ghost Trick so we thought that maybe another game by Shu would be something to play soonish

If I want to jump in on this franchise, should I just jump in from the first game or is it better to go with GAA or even Apollo which is releasing soon.

Me and my wife really enjoyed the writing of Ghost Trick so we thought that maybe another game by Shu would be something to play soonish
Either start with the first game, or play the great ace attorney. GAA is almost completely self contained and is even fairly different gameplay wise than the main series, and can be enjoyed on its own, while Apollo builds narratively and in gameplay on the original trilogy.

Either GAA or the original trilogy works.
GAA is mostly standalone (like iirc the only major connection it has to the rest of the series is the protagonist, Ryunosuke, is Phoenix's ancestor) while the rest of the series like the Apollo trilogy assumes the player has played the original trilogy.

GAA1 does play around with some common series plot points to catch old fans off guard, but not to an extent that you'll be lost playing them first.

I was in the same exact position (except for having played Ghost Trick; I did play the demo and own the game but haven’t gotten around to playing it yet because I wanted to finish TGAAC first, but I am very much looking forward to it) and I opted to start with TGAAC, since it seemed generally agreed upon by most fans that it’s the best in the series, so my hope was that playing it first would be a more reliable way of determining if I’d enjoy the series than starting with the first game. (Unfortunately, playing it right after the Famicom Detective Club games may have been a mistake on my part, because part of why I stopped after the first half of TGAAC was because I found it much less interesting and engaging than FDC…)

Thanks,

I'll just let my wife decide then =)

For whatever reason I have both collections purchased already :p

I was in the same exact position (except for having played Ghost Trick; I did play the demo and own the game but haven’t gotten around to playing it yet because I wanted to finish TGAAC first, but I am very much looking forward to it) and I opted to start with TGAAC, since it seemed generally agreed upon by most fans that it’s the best in the series, so my hope was that playing it first would be a more reliable way of determining if I’d enjoy the series than starting with the first game. (Unfortunately, playing it right after the Famicom Detective Club games may have been a mistake on my part, because part of why I stopped after the first half of TGAAC was because I found it much less interesting and engaging than FDC…)

I haven't played Famicom Detective Club but the second part is generally regarded as much better than the first part, not that the first part isn't necessary - it's just a slow build-up. Enjoy!

I haven't played Famicom Detective Club but the second part is generally regarded as much better than the first part, not that the first part isn't necessary - it's just a slow build-up. Enjoy!
So I’ve heard, and I’m excited to see the conclusion of the story for myself, but it wasn’t the story that disappointed me as much as the gameplay. The Famicom Detective Club games were just so much more engaging to me despite literally being touched up Famicom games (a fact which constantly blew my mind while playing them), and since those were pretty much the first games of this kind of genre that I’ve played, and knowing that the Ace Attorney series apparently took inspiration from them, I guess I just expected more from Ace Attorney (especially from what most fans seem to regard as the best in the series).

That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy what I’ve played of TGAAC so far, of course, just that I wish it was as fun and engaging as FDC was for me. If anything it just makes me sad that more people haven’t played those games, ‘cause I can imagine fans of Ace Attorney would really love them. But instead it seems Ace Attorney gets all the love (relatively speaking, of course; I know this genre isn’t the most popular to begin with) while FDC goes largely ignored, sadly…

Anyway, hoping to start Resolve soon, and maybe my opinion on the game/series will be better after that; we’ll see!

An Investigations game would be a lot of fun. They’ve got the cast for it, and it’s a perfect fit with the Dance of Deduction.

So I’ve heard, and I’m excited to see the conclusion of the story for myself, but it wasn’t the story that disappointed me as much as the gameplay. The Famicom Detective Club games were just so much more engaging to me despite literally being touched up Famicom games (a fact which constantly blew my mind while playing them), and since those were pretty much the first games of this kind of genre that I’ve played, and knowing that the Ace Attorney series apparently took inspiration from them, I guess I just expected more from Ace Attorney (especially from what most fans seem to regard as the best in the series).

That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy what I’ve played of TGAAC so far, of course, just that I wish it was as fun and engaging as FDC was for me. If anything it just makes me sad that more people haven’t played those games, ‘cause I can imagine fans of Ace Attorney would really love them. But instead it seems Ace Attorney gets all the love (relatively speaking, of course; I know this genre isn’t the most popular to begin with) while FDC goes largely ignored, sadly…

Anyway, hoping to start Resolve soon, and maybe my opinion on the game/series will be better after that; we’ll see!
It’s funny you say this, because I kind of came away with the opposite sentiment playing FDC and TGAA close together. I enjoyed my time with FDC and loved the spookier vibes of it, but even with touched up remakes they still very much feel like games of their time and have a lot more constantly wandering back and forth between investigation sites to advance to the story than modern Ace Attorney does.

Also doesn’t help that they both released at similar prices despite TGAA having way more content. It made FDC feel overpriced and slight for what it was in my case.

I did still enjoy both games and would recommend them to Ace Attorney fans who might not have played them.

It’s funny you say this, because I kind of came away with the opposite sentiment playing FDC and TGAA close together. I enjoyed my time with FDC and loved the spookier vibes of it, but even with touched up remakes they still very much feel like games of their time and have a lot more constantly wandering back and forth between investigation sites to advance to the story than modern Ace Attorney does.

Also doesn’t help that they both released at similar prices despite TGAA having way more content. It made FDC feel overpriced and slight for what it was in my case.

I did still enjoy both games and would recommend them to Ace Attorney fans who might not have played them.
See, that’s what I liked about FDC! Figuring out where to go, who to talk to, and what to say, etc. makes the game more of a puzzle, which I thoroughly enjoyed even if it can come across as somewhat archaic in design in some ways. With Ace Attorney, though, the game pretty much plays itself… I mean, there’s literally an option to have the game do just that, too! Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it means the player has much less input overall, which is much less interesting to me, personally. And the moments where the player does have actual input that matters in TGAAC, at least in the first half that I’ve played, are rather boring because it’s almost always extremely obvious what you’re supposed to do, or it was for me at least. I almost always found myself figuring out things many steps ahead of when the game actually allows me to reveal the answers, which made the game feel like a drag. Of course, there’s still the interesting and amusing characters, the excellent writing, and such that make the game still feel worthwhile despite that, but FDC had that plus more engaging gameplay, and those games managed to surprise me with the reveals much more than TGAAC has so far as well.

I agree that the two FDC games could be priced a bit lower, but at the same time they’re incredibly well done remakes with outstanding art and overall presentation that has been considered by many as a new bar for the genre, so I can’t say that I don’t believe they’re worth the price. Though given that it seems many people held off on them in hopes for a sale that never came (beyond the discount you get for buying both games together), I do wish the games were cheaper so that more people would have given them a chance. Still, they’re totally worth the price to me.

Anyway, just started Resolve tonight, so hopefully I can beat it before Another Code on Friday, lol. I’m expecting to enjoy the story of this part more than the first part, but I doubt the gameplay will be much different so I don’t expect my opinion on it versus FDC to change much, but who knows!

See, that’s what I liked about FDC! Figuring out where to go, who to talk to, and what to say, etc. makes the game more of a puzzle, which I thoroughly enjoyed even if it can come across as somewhat archaic in design in some ways. With Ace Attorney, though, the game pretty much plays itself… I mean, there’s literally an option to have the game do just that, too! Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it means the player has much less input overall, which is much less interesting to me, personally.
This is really only true for TGAA - the original trilogy basically plays like an adventure / vn hybrid, just like how you're describing FDC. So it's kind of weird to alternate between saying AA and TGAAC when criticizing them. Anyways, TGAAC is a bit of an overrated duology all things considered, but that's not a problem with AA in general.

Quoted by: Tye
This is really only true for TGAA - the original trilogy basically plays like an adventure / vn hybrid, just like how you're describing FDC. So it's kind of weird to alternate between saying AA and TGAAC when criticizing them. Anyways, TGAAC is a bit of an overrated duology all things considered, but that's not a problem with AA in general.
Oh? I wasn’t aware. Like I said, this is my first Ace Attorney game, and I was referring specifically to it there, not the entire series. I just kinda figured that TGAAC would be a good representation of what the series in general is like, given that I’ve seen so much high praise for it. Didn’t think Ace Attorney fans would care for it as much if it was a big departure from the other games in the series when it comes to gameplay. Well, I guess I need to play the original AA trilogy sometime after this!

Oh? I wasn’t aware. Like I said, this is my first Ace Attorney game, and I was referring specifically to it there, not the entire series. I just kinda figured that TGAAC would be a good representation of what the series in general is like, given that I’ve seen so much high praise for it. Didn’t think Ace Attorney fans would care for it as much if it was a big departure from the other games in the series when it comes to gameplay. Well, I guess I need to play the original AA trilogy sometime after this!

Personally I think characterizing it as a big departure is incorrect, maybe the older games are a little more obtuse requiring a bit more back and forth a between scenes but I think you're getting the wrong impression to think they're really different.

i'd played every single ace attorney before this including every japanese release(sans GAA itself), and this immediately secured itself as the peak spot within 1 game.

absolute fucking peak ace attorney

Personally I think characterizing it as a big departure is incorrect, maybe the older games are a little more obtuse requiring a bit more back and forth a between scenes but I think you're getting the wrong impression to think they're really different.
Do the other AA games at least require the player to think and act more, and do they do a better job at surprising the player rather than making the answers rather obvious many steps in advance? Like I said, that’s been my main disappointment with TGAAC compared to FDC so far. So far this seems to be true of the second part as well, because I’m into chapter two now and both cases have had super obvious answers if you examine the evidence early on and the game drags it out so long despite the answer being extremely obvious so far in advance. Meanwhile in FDC, even when some things seemed obvious, the path to get to those reveals was often unclear and as such it was exciting to see how things play out. But in TGAAC, things can be a little too obvious, and even though new, surprising info is often sprinkled between, it doesn’t really change the big details that you’ve already deduced from the beginning, and the path to get to those reveals properly is always more or less going through the same court process, which makes it feel like a drag and very predictable.

EDIT: And I should clarify, I’m not trying to be down on the game, and I have genuinely enjoyed playing it, but it’s just been very shocking to me how much better my experience with FDC was compared to it when I went in expecting the opposite due to it being a much newer game in a much more popular series that was inspired by FDC, with the game commonly said to be the best in the series at that.

Anyway, I am enjoying the story of Resolve so far! While the cases have been extremely obvious so far, the scenarios around them have been interesting at least!

Last edited:
Do the other AA games at least require the player to think and act more, and do they do a better job at surprising the player rather than making the answers rather obvious many steps in advance? Like I said, that’s been my main disappointment with TGAAC compared to FDC so far. So far this seems to be true of the second part as well, because I’m into chapter two now and both cases have had super obvious answers if you examine the evidence early on and the game drags it out so long despite the answer being extremely obvious so far in advance. Meanwhile in FDC, even when some things seemed obvious, the path to get to those reveals was often unclear and as such it was exciting to see how things play out. But in TGAAC, things can be a little too obvious, and even though new, surprising info is often sprinkled between, it doesn’t really change the big details that you’ve already deduced from the beginning, and the path to get to those reveals properly is always more or less going through the same court process, which makes it feel like a drag and very predictable.

EDIT: And I should clarify, I’m not trying to be down on the game, and I have genuinely enjoyed playing it, but it’s just been very shocking to me how much better my experience with FDC was compared to it when I went in expecting the opposite due to it being a much newer game in a much more popular series that was inspired by FDC, with the game commonly said to be the best in the series at that.

Anyway, I am enjoying the story of Resolve so far! While the cases have been extremely obvious so far, the scenarios around them have been interesting at least!

preferring Famicom Detective Club over AA is definitely a... unique new take i suppose

i wouldnt really say this is different between entries, i got similarly stuck in GAA as other AAs. the only difference between it and the classics is you dont get stuck in investigations, but thats a more than welcome change cus that was the most boring part of the games p consistently

I have no idea how they could possibly escalate from the ending of 2, but if they want to try, I’ll be there.

Also, while this thread is bumped, gonna give a shout out to Ghost Trick, same creator, and definitely scratches that Ace Attorney itch while being fantastic in its own right.
We discover Herlock Shlomes has an evil twin named Sherlock Holmes who is up to no good.

preferring Famicom Detective Club over AA is definitely a... unique new take i suppose

i wouldnt really say this is different between entries, i got similarly stuck in GAA as other AAs. the only difference between it and the classics is you dont get stuck in investigations, but thats a more than welcome change cus that was the most boring part of the games p consistently
It’s not a matter of getting “stuck” or not for me, it’s a matter of being surprised and finding the gameplay engaging enough. As I’ve said, it kinda sucks when the game gives you the key answers to most cases rather early if you’re examining the evidence as you receive it (and some things are obvious just from the surrounding context, too), which kills the pacing as I have to sit there already knowing the gist of what happened and how it happened but having to go through the slow court process and wait for the game to properly unveil things in the order it wants to. It makes sense from a storytelling perspective, sure, but it also kinda assumes that the player hasn’t already put things together themselves, when in many cases it’s hard not to. This is combined with the fact that they’re very little input from the player that actually matters or actual thought-provoking puzzle solving required.

My partner and I binged both FDC games in a single weekend almost nonstop because we were so gripped and engaged by them, meanwhile I can’t say TGAAC has given us quite the same kind of experience for the aforementioned reasons making the game less interesting and engaging overall. I’m as baffled as you are over why my experience seems to be so “unique”—I was inclined to believe that it probably just comes down to the fact that many more people have played AA than FDC, so naturally most people would hold AA in higher regards, but maybe I’m just “unique” here. 🤷 (Regardless, more people should play FDC!)

I dunno, personally, I've never been bothered by cases in Ace Attorney being "easy to deduce" and am able to enjoy the ride, but I know other fans get more hung up on it. It's probably just preferences. A big part of the satisfaction of Ace Attorney though is not just deducing but also watching villains completely breakdown - you really get to live the fantasy of winning an argument, rooting out corruption, and watching your opponent be absolutely nailed to the wall with no escape, which pretty much never happens so cleanly in real life, lol.

Anyway, I haven't played FDC so I really can't compare, but still, I'd be surprised if you finish the second part and aren't a bit more impressed.

Last edited:
It’s not a matter of getting “stuck” or not for me, it’s a matter of being surprised and finding the gameplay engaging enough. As I’ve said, it kinda sucks when the game gives you the key answers to most cases rather early if you’re examining the evidence as you receive it (and some things are obvious just from the surrounding context, too), which kills the pacing as I have to sit there already knowing the gist of what happened and how it happened but having to go through the slow court process and wait for the game to properly unveil things in the order it wants to. It makes sense from a storytelling perspective, sure, but it also kinda assumes that the player hasn’t already put things together themselves, when in many cases it’s hard not to. This is combined with the fact that they’re very little input from the player that actually matters or actual thought-provoking puzzle solving required.

My partner and I binged both FDC games in a single weekend almost nonstop because we were so gripped and engaged by them, meanwhile I can’t say TGAAC has given us quite the same kind of experience for the aforementioned reasons making the game less interesting and engaging overall. I’m as baffled as you are over why my experience seems to be so “unique”—I was inclined to believe that it probably just comes down to the fact that many more people have played AA than FDC, so naturally most people would hold AA in higher regards, but maybe I’m just “unique” here. 🤷 (Regardless, more people should play FDC!)

i really tried to enjoy FDC, just the plot and characters were a bit too on the simple-end and it was hard to really get engaged. gameplay's also kind of finnicky and odd at times where the thing you're supposed to do next doesn't make a lot of progressive sense

Back
Top Bottom