• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I feel that when it comes to games, Nintendo fans for the most part are some of the most demanding in the entire industry

ILovethegameAC

Shriekbat
Pronouns
He
Something I have really felt in the last few years is just how demanding Nintendo fans seem to be when it comes to games at least, and with that I mean that they are probably the most constantly unsatisfied fandom of a videogame company in the sense that just keep asking for more instead of just appretiate what they have and look forward to the future and be surprised,

To be more specific, with the fandoms of other companies I often just hear discussion about their games and their quality, without talking a whole lot of what they should do in addition to what they are doing now, but with Nintendo fans is a lot of "when is the next 2D Mario, and 2D Zelda, and Mario Baseball, and Chibi Robo, and Star Fox, and F-Zero, and Rythm Heaven, and Wario Land, and Donkey Kong, and a 3D Zelda that is more traditional" and more, and I feel that these people think that since Nintendo is so damn rich that means they should be able to make games of every one of their series and their spin offs + new ip's every generation, all of them with high production values (so like 200 games every generation), which isn't necessarily true as you may know, and is very strange to me to hear this since other companies like Capcom, Sega or Sony also have a ton of dormant series with lots of potential and I don't hear even a 10% of complains with them. Maybe is because out of the 3 console producers, Nintendo is the one with the least third party AAA support and they have to depend on first party content the most, but honestly the third party support on the Switch is more than good enough if you don't just count AAA, so even if by the next console it starts getting those open world, sport or multiplayer games that the current console can't run, people will probably still keep asking, they are used to that.

Do you agree? Also this is not to say that they shouldn't criticize Nintendo or anything, just that the discussion can get pretty annoying and I'm not sure if everyone else feels the same.
Edit: however, I feel that Pokémon is probably the exception, since it seems even people who hate the direction the series has taken keep buying them lol

Last edited:
This is an inevitability when you have a long history and list of franchises. You get alot of different fanbases of them all with different demands. Some of these fanbases also have sects within them that are at war with each other as well

I think they're just the most vocal. Fans of like, Assassin's Creed aren't super demanding but I don't hear much from them at all.

An example of another demanding fanbase that is vocal is Halo.

Maybe a few ones. For example, pokemon fans seem to eat anyhing gf throws at them, despite having a very vocal group too.
There's a big difference between mainstream casual consumers versus hardcore fans who understand the series better.

I think they're just the most vocal. Fans of like, Assassin's Creed aren't super demanding but I don't hear much from them at all.

An example of another demanding fanbase that is vocal is Halo.

Yeah, whew, the Halo fanbase is (understandably) dire these days

It's probably a bunch of 8-14 yos that have very naive ideas about how game development works. Sega, Capcom, and every other accomplished publisher out there have more mature fanbases.

There's also Smash, which in a certain way advertises Nintendo's older and more obscure IPs. Other publishers don't have that type of museum for their older stuff.

Part of it might be because Nintendo has so many strong, iconic IPs that mean a lot to many people. Pick any given first-party Nintendo series and chances are that it has at least a few fans who have lived and died by it ever since childhood and would love nothing more than to see it continue.

Not sure I buy this take when games like Pokemon sell 20 million copies and run like absolute garbage and look even worse. That’s not a very demanding audience if you’re plopping down $60 for 20fps and sub-1080p gameplay in 2023
I was mostly talking about the need for more and more games than the need of more quality from them, but since other Nintendo series aside from their sports games don't really have quality issues, thoese comments are not heard from them. But yeah, Pokémon is kinda different there, will add it to the original post.

Lack of AAA third-party support definitely plays a role. Nintendo has to pick up more of the slack than Microsoft or Sony do. Combine that with the subset of Nintendo fans who ONLY play/care about a handful of core Nintendo IP and you get a recipe for whining.

As someone who's more a Switch fan than he's a Nintendo fan I hope the next console helps the third-party situation a bit given the rumors of how powerful it's supposed to be (or at least the rumors since I last checked them).

You must have missed the reactions to recent Playstation showcase.
I think is way more understadable to complain after hearing there will be like 3 non VR first party games the whole year vs. just asking for more and more after getting like 10 first party games during a year, two years in a row.

This is an inevitability when you have a long history and list of franchises. You get alot of different fanbases of them all with different demands. Some of these fanbases also have sects within them that are at war with each other as well
This is true, but if you're only interested in 3-4 IPs, you shouldn't proclaim yourself a Nintendo fan, pretend to speak for the entire fanbase, and assume Nintendo should cater to you specifically.

This often leads to the "doesn't count" mentality.

"Nintendo should make new IPs!"

- Nintendo releases Xenoblade
"It doesn't count, not really from an internal Nintendo team"

- Nintendo releases Splatoon and ARMS
"They don't count, they are multiplayer, only Japan cared about them"

- Nintendo releases Ring Fit
"It absolutely doesn't count, Wii era is over and it will flop"

What they wanted: big single player game a la Mario or Zelda, or Nintendo's take on popular Western games ("Retro's Uncharted")

Another example: "Nintendo should revitalize an old IP!" (nevermind that the two propositions are contradictory)

- Nintendo releases Famicom Detective Club
"Weird visual novel, it doesn't count"

- Nintendo releases Pokémon Snap
"On rail photo game? It doesn't count"

What they wanted: F-Zero or Golden Sun, specifically

I mean you mentioned like 10 different series, none of which have 100% overlap with the other. People are just fans of stuff and are vocal about wanting it.

I mean you mentioned like 10 different series, none of which have 100% overlap with the other. People are just fans of stuff and are vocal about wanting it.
I totally get what you are saying, but at the same time most big publishers these days also have tons of dead ip's, some of them maybe more than Nintendo, without a lot of overlapong with each other and the wishes of people wanting them are not nearly as high as with Nintendo, not even close. Some like Capcom or main Sega these days also have like 3 series monopolizing their entire line up and yet there are not that many complains at all next to Nintendo.
As some have mention maybe Smash Bros representing all of them to a degree and other factors have something to do with it.

I think is way more understadable to complain after hearing there will be like 3 non VR first party games the whole year vs. just asking for more and more after getting like 10 first party games during a year, two years in a row.
I don't know, man. Apparently Spider man 2 looks like a PS3 game that is just reusing the same animations from the last game. And actually....that argument happens a lot with Sony games. The only time I've seen something like that with Nintendo games is Pokemon.

So that should speak for itself.

I don't know, man. Apparently Spider man 2 looks like a PS3 game that is just reusing the same animations from the last game. And actually....that argument happens a lot with Sony games. The only time I've seen something like that with Nintendo games is Pokemon.

So that should speak for itself.
Well lots of people also were complaining like crazy that TOTK was just a $70 DLC before being released (in part because Nintendo didn't show it properly I guess), so not that far away then.

Weird Xbox fans and weird Sony fans will be fighting each other meanwhile weird Nintendo fans will just be fighting themselves.

"when is the next 2D Mario, and 2D Zelda, and Mario Baseball, and Chibi Robo, and Star Fox, and F-Zero, and Rythm Heaven, and Wario Land, and Donkey Kong, and a 3D Zelda that is more traditional"
I mean these are not all the same people

Well lots of people also were complaining like crazy that TOTK was just a $70 DLC before being released (in part because Nintendo didn't show it properly I guess), so not that far away then.
But were they fans? Seems like a dumb thing to even think so I assume 95% of those comments were concern trolling.

I personally didn't see many people in fan circles saying it.

This is true, but if you're only interested in 3-4 IPs, you shouldn't proclaim yourself a Nintendo fan, pretend to speak for the entire fanbase, and assume Nintendo should cater to you specifically.

What they wanted: big single player game a la Mario or Zelda, or Nintendo's take on popular Western games ("Retro's Uncharted")

Another example: "Nintendo should revitalize an old IP!" (nevermind that the two propositions are contradictory)

Oh god I have a friend like this, and everytime he goes like this I just send him this

"same energy"

7asvSK3.gif

Some like Capcom or main Sega these days also have like 3 series monopolizing their entire line up and yet there are not that many complains at all next to Nintendo
That's just a testament to how well Nintendo nurtures its IPs, people can hold on to hope that their favorite franchise could be revived in some capacity.

And anyway, I don't find Nintendo fans more demanding than PS or XB fans, really. Just look at the comments at the last PS Showcase.

I mean...you're on a Nintendo centric forum, by this forum's very nature you will be getting more Nintendo discussion, both praise and complaints. Sony and Microsoft has had plenty of complaints. Just recently Redfall's release sparked a whole "Microsoft has one more game left to prove it can stay in the market" bullcrap and Sony had the showcase which brought its own complaints. They get them, but unless you go into their discussion boards and discords, you probably will miss them.

I think it’s more that Nintendo needing to support their consoles themselves means that they have a vast range of different IP covering different genres/ideas, and a lot of those series have now been around for decades. From crunchy rpgs to whimisical platformers, sims to shooters. So it’s not much ‘Nintendo fans’ going ‘I want everything every few years’ (although I’m sure they exist!), but fans of a handful of their IP each, who all say ‘where are my favourites’ as they are comparing it to other Nintendo IP that they are less interested in and perhaps perceive as getting more focus.

I mean, I’ve been buying Nintendo games since the NES and most of their IP I barely follow, so if I ask ‘where is x?’ it’s less ‘But I’ve already had 20+ games this gen’ and more ‘those ones don’t interest me, where’s the ones that do’ :D

Still, I can appreciate that their output is both extremely prolific and, on average, high quality, but that all their stuff doesn’t appeal to everyone seems pretty natural to me given that ‘Nintendo’ isn’t a genre but a very broad church. Even now I’d say that the merge of their portable and home console lineup has effectively brought even more sub-groups of fans all under one roof, which is the entire point of them consolidating their product line rather than underserve two of them.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Nintendo has some of the most annoying fanbases.
Zelda fanbase is notoriously toxic, I mean we all remember the infamous Zelda cycle. And after Totk the "purists" are all guns blazing about what a real Zelda game is. What a bunch of bullshit.
Paper Mario fans are some of the worst in gaming. Good luck If you like any entry after TTYD.
Some 3D Mario fans have no problem calling a game like 3D World or Odyssey trash because they're not their ideal game.
Some Metroid fans still believe that Nintendo hates Metroid even after Dread, Prime remastered and Prime 4.
Should I mention Pokémon?

With great fandom comes great fanboys.

When you're fan of the best publisher in the business, you constantly want more because of how good their games are.
You would think that after 100 hours of the delightful Tears of the Kingdom, I would be ok with not having a new Zelda for quite some time ?
Fool, announce the next Zelda already, I want to see where they're going from there.
First 3D Kirby and RtDL Deluxe in a year ? Not bad. Now where's 3D Kirby 2 and Triple Deluxe Deluxe ?
Pikmin 4 is releasing next month ? Boy they better be working on Pikmin 5 already, I don't want to wait 10 more years.

Oh god yeah I can't stand those. They ain't Nintendo fans, usually they're just Gamecube nostalgics.
It's feels impossible for me to be a Nintendo fan and not be satisfied by the releases on Switch. There's stuff for everyone, almost all the important Nintendo IPs are here, we've had some miraculous revivals.
My only disappointment this gen is no physical release in the west for Famicom Detective Club (and no german/spanish/italian/french translation for it), and no Buddy Mission BOND release in the west. And that's two visual novels, so you know they didn't fuck up when the only thing you can blame them for software wise is how they manager their releases of two visual novels, with one of the two still releasing everywhere lol

This is exactly what I don't understand. Even if you are a fan of one IP, you have to understand that you are not the center of the universe and that Nintendo is more than that. You will pretty much always get what you want. I love Pikmin, but I didn't understand how Pikmin fans were the last years before the announcement. We knew that Pikmin 4 would happen eventually.

Also, I'm kinda annoyed about people who are talking like "everyone think like me". Example: "Paper Mario should be like this, it's better", no,  you think it's better.

Anyway, as a Nintendo fan I just understand that we can't get all their big IPs every year, it will never happen. And they are already the best in the industry to release games pretty much every months, we get new exciting announcements at pretty much all Nintendo Direct.

The biggest issue we have is that people just want to play the same thing over and over. They are not curious, they don't want to try new things. So yes, of course, if the only thing you want when you are watching a Nintendo Direct is, I don't know, a new Metroid game, obviously you will not like it most of the time.

I don't think they're the most demanding, just demanding in different ways due to how the fanbase is made up. Generally, it feels like Nintendo fans prioritize different things like how they're much more attached to IP compared to fans of the other two platform holders.

The demand for "more games" seems to come down due to the diversity of Nintendo's output in terms of genre and the fact that their output is much more central to their platform's appeal than Sony's or Microsoft's games are.

I don't think they're the most demanding
Well... Sony fans are happy with 2 first-party releases / year. I don't even want to think how Nintendo fans would be if there were no games between God of War (November 2022) and Spider-Man 2 (Autumn 2023).

Of course there are good third-party games to wait, but it's not like we don't get good third-party games on Switch either. This month with Master Detective Archives: Raincode for example. It looks great, but I guess it won't sell that much. And it doesn't change anything to the fact that people would be angry with a pipeline similar to Sony or MS.

So I agree with OP.

Well... Sony fans are happy with 2 first-party releases / year. I don't even want to think how Nintendo fans would be if there were no games between God of War (November 2022) and Spider-Man 2 (Autumn 2023).

Of course there are good third-party games to wait, but it's not like we don't get good third-party games on Switch either. This month with Master Detective Archives: Raincode for example. It looks great, but I guess it won't sell that much. And it doesn't change anything to the fact that people would be angry with a pipeline similar to Sony or MS.

So I agree with OP.
The reactions towards the recent PlayStation showcase weren't extremely positive and I think they would have been much more negative if Diablo IV, Street Fighter VI and Final Fantasy XVI weren't around the corner. An extended period where they don't have any big first- or third-party games would also be met with criticism. Microsoft is receiving a lot of flack for their first-party offerings recently.

What I agree with is that some expectations towards Nintendo's output are pretty unrealistic. Like people comparing the number of releases to earlier generations when they were targeting much weaker hardware. There's a reason why studios that were extremely prolific on the 3DS haven't been able to match their output on Switch, let alone the Sony/MS systems. See Atlus for example. The total number of game releases per publisher/developer has gone way down and it's delusional to think that Nintendo would be an exception.

I dunno... I see a lot of happy and satisfied people on this forum and I'm one of them. The Switch game library is incredible. I feel like we've moved past that period a few years ago, where everyone was desperate for the next Nintendo Direct all the time.

Maybe it's just me. But if you can't find a few Nintendo games to love right now, whether it's a new release or something on NSO, I don't know what else they can put out.

As others in this thread have mentioned I think this has a lot to do with Nintendo's long and rich history. They have franchises that have continuously seen releases for three decades which is quite impressive.
On top of that they often change (art) direction / the general "vibe" of their games quite drastically, most famously how they did with Zelda, in a (successful) attempt to keep things fresh. In doing so they regularly alienate players who wanted something done in a particular vein / style that they've grown accustomed to.

It's also hard to please everybody when millions and millions of players become invested in your IP and may have been for a long time.

Then there is the whole hardware thing, that many vocal fans online are trying to grapple with the fact that Nintendo exited the "hardware race" almost two decades ago, so people hoping for cutting-edge tech will inevitably end up disappointed.

Something I have really felt in the last few years is just how demanding Nintendo fans seem to be when it comes to games at least, and with that I mean that they are probably the most constantly unsatisfied fandom of a videogame company in the sense that just keep asking for more instead of just appretiate what they have and look forward to the future and be surprised,

To be more specific, with the fandoms of other companies I often just hear discussion about their games and their quality, without talking a whole lot of what they should do in addition to what they are doing now, but with Nintendo fans is a lot of "when is the next 2D Mario, and 2D Zelda, and Mario Baseball, and Chibi Robo, and Star Fox, and F-Zero, and Rythm Heaven, and Wario Land, and Donkey Kong, and a 3D Zelda that is more traditional" and more, and I feel that these people think that since Nintendo is so damn rich that means they should be able to make games of every one of their series and their spin offs + new ip's every generation, all of them with high production values (so like 200 games every generation), which isn't necessarily true as you may know, and is very strange to me to hear this since other companies like Capcom, Sega or Sony also have a ton of dormant series with lots of potential and I don't hear even a 10% of complains with them. Maybe is because out of the 3 console producers, Nintendo is the one with the least third party AAA support and they have to depend on first party content the most, but honestly the third party support on the Switch is more than good enough if you don't just count AAA, so even if by the next console it starts getting those open world, sport or multiplayer games that the current console can't run, people will probably still keep asking, they are used to that.

Do you agree? Also this is not to say that they shouldn't criticize Nintendo or anything, just that the discussion can get pretty annoying and I'm not sure if everyone else feels the same.
Edit: however, I feel that Pokémon is probably the exception, since it seems even people who hate the direction the series has taken keep buying them lol
Nintendo has a treasure trove of franchises that have previously been better supported.

If you compare Nintendo's current 1st party output to previous eras (64/GBC, Gamecube/GBA, Wii/DS), there's just less stuff coming out nowadays.

gotta say very condescending attitude in here towards pokemon fans as well
Especially considering scarlet and purple are good games and Arceus is probably the most exciting that the franchise has been in ages.

Nintendo has a treasure trove of franchises that have previously been better supported.

If you compare Nintendo's current 1st party output to previous eras (64/GBC, Gamecube/GBA, Wii/DS), there's just less stuff coming out nowadays.

This is true but I think it's inevitable. HD development is a nightmare.

Last edited:
I think this might just be a case of frequency bias, I don't think Nintendo fans are particularly more demanding than other platform's players

While there’s likely ‘less total releases across all Nintendo platforms’ coming out these days, I find it hard to say ‘they used to be better supported’ given the range and quality these days unless the only metric is numbers. The Switch’s first party library compares extremely well against just about any platform they’ve ever made to me. Unless you look at it as just particular franchises.

Last edited:
I think all of the console and publishers have some unrealistic/entitled/toxic fans. Don't see Nintendo as being more demanding really.

I think other companies can have plenty loud and obnoxious fanbases, but yeah, Nintendo's fans are definitely louder and more demanding than most. They can, at times, completely overtake social media with their nonsense that dwarfs other fan-manufactured controversies like Spider-Man's puddles or whatever. But why shouldn't they be? Nintendo's constantly putting out games in nearly every genre, juggling multiple IP, and has shown themselves to be listening to fan demand even if they try to act aloof. Games like Twilight Princess wouldn't exist at all without folks screaming their heads off about "Celda," after all.

is very strange to me to hear this since other companies like Capcom, Sega or Sony also have a ton of dormant series with lots of potential and I don't hear even a 10% of complains with them.

Though, on this point, you probably just haven't been listening too closely. Can at least definitely vouch for SEGA fans CONSTANTLY moaning about dead franchises.

SEGA's curation of dormant IP in general has been outright dire, too. It's been over ten years since a SEGA All-Stars game. Lucky ass Capcom fans, constantly able to speculate about a possible Vs game with their favorite one-off heroes having a legit chance. Never even mind that when we get stuff like Sakura Wars, for some insane reason, SEGA just went for a complete genre shift and console exclusivity in a bizarre gamble.

At least maybe all the constant begging for Jet Set Radio might be producing something...

This is true but I think it's inevitable. HD development is a nightmare.
Not every game needs to be a big production. There's a lot of smaller-scale franchises Nintendo could make new games on the cheap, like a new Wario Land.

I think smaller scale games and partnering with 3rd party studios would help alleviate the issue. More stuff like Wayforward doing Advance Wars.

Not sure I buy this take when games like Pokemon sell 20 million copies and run like absolute garbage and look even worse. That’s not a very demanding audience if you’re plopping down $60 for 20fps and sub-1080p gameplay in 2023
Sub-1080p is fine. Everybody was fine with it on their XB1/PS4, and not everybody owns a 4K TV, let alone a PS5/XS. Many people also play games on phones and tablets at sub-1080p. A few dips into 2xFPS isn't game-breaking for most people, either - they have this on every platform, EVER. Most are willing to make a few trade-offs to play anywhere, and have a chance of finishing their purchases. Also, where tablets, phones, and other portables are concerned, HD isn't even the most important - Most of us will watch a video in 480p to preserve battery life, and I suspect that most would do the same with games. Sub HD still looked fine on my Wii U GamePad, for example. A good game will have you playing it rather than counting pixels.

I don't think there were fewer complaints among Sony and Microsoft fans. They're just different complaints because the contexts are different.
Xbox is taking a beating at the moment, and Playstation fans also have huge expectations,sometimes unrealistic.

First-party releases are perhaps a little more crucial for Nintendo consoles, for instance. In the same way, when you're an American company like Xbox or name Jim Ryan like Playstation, you're therefore less exposed to "because Nintendo" criticism essentially meaning "why can't they be western like me ?" In fact, I think the adoration Reggie still receives today is partly due to this.

However, expecting a lot from Nintendo is not necessarily being demanding, it's simply sometimes wanting them to live up to the quality standards they themselves have set. Releasing unfinished games such as Nintendo Switch Sport or Mario Strikers, or offering joy-con units that last as long as the weapons in BOTW, is simply not respecting the company's culture and heritage.

no theres not,you keep repeating this over and over despite being factually wrong

Nintendo DS - 279
Nintendo 3DS - 192
Switch - 113
Wii - 112
GBA - 81
NES - 68
Wii U - 66
Game Boy - 60
Nintendo 64 - 59
Gamecube - 59
SNES - 53
Sattleview 49
Game Boy Color - 40
Arcade - 36
Virtual Boy - 7
Android/IOS - 7

no theres not,you keep repeating this over and over despite being factually wrong

Nintendo DS - 279
Nintendo 3DS - 192
Switch - 113
Wii - 112
GBA - 81
NES - 68
Wii U - 66
Game Boy - 60
Nintendo 64 - 59
Gamecube - 59
SNES - 53
Sattleview 49
Game Boy Color - 40
Arcade - 36
Virtual Boy - 7
Android/IOS - 7

Switch has to cover for both a console AND a handheld though, as Nintendo are no longer supporting two separate platforms. So you can’t really compare it to Wii U and 3DS in isolation, you have to compare it to both consoles combined… and Switch has less than half of what we saw last generation.

IMO, Switch has the greatest first-party software lineup of any gaming platform ever released. Fans complaining about the decrease in title quantity from handheld+console combined are neglecting to realize just how much longer modern HD game development takes and that good developers don’t just grow on trees.

Switch has to cover for both a console AND a handheld though, as Nintendo are no longer supporting two separate platforms. So you can’t really compare it to Wii U and 3DS in isolation, you have to compare it to both consoles combined… and Switch has less than half of what we saw last generation.
It's difficult to tell sometimes how serious posts like this are.

Back
Top Bottom