• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion I currently root for Nintendo because they're the best for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never played Xenoblade 3. I can only speak from my own personal experiences with Nintendo titles.
If you aren’t playing their games that have political commentary in them, you can’t call the company as a whole apolitical. You can paint just about any big game developer as apolitical if you’re only looking at a select number of their games.

That’s like calling Sega apolitical if you’ve only played Sonic games, or Ubisoft apolitical if you’ve only played Rayman, etc. And that’s only considering their game output, and not the company themselves. Not to mention the quite frankly terrible connotations of praising apolitical stances to begin with.

I'm trying to convey a loss for words. I think calling Nintendo "classy and tasteful" for their avoidance toward taking political stances is weird. They've definitely put out a few games you could call political, as others are pointing out.
I said their games convey a sense of class and tastefulness (and no I haven't played every single Nintendo game) without getting political. They are meant to be fun and appeal to everyone.

What's wrong with that?

As far as their lack of commentary outside of gaming goes, I don't really keep up with all the details.

Last edited:
Dang. I must have missed that story. I did not know they did that. Good on them! I wish more companies would follow suit. There is no reason to be laying off workers when companies are making record profits and management is raking in millions of dollars.

They sure did! And here’s Iwata explaining why laying off employees is not the answer:

"Regarding why we have not reduced the number of the personnel, it is true that our business has its ups and downs every few years," he said, "and of course, our ideal situation is to make a profit even in the low periods, return these profits to investors and maintain a high share price.

"We should of course cut unnecessary costs and pursue efficient business operations. I also know that some employers publicize their restructuring plan to improve their financial performance by letting a number of their employees go, but at Nintendo, employees make valuable contributions in their respective fields, so I believe that laying off a group of employees will not help to strengthen Nintendo’s business in the long run."
"If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, employee morale will decrease, and I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world."
"Our current policy is to achieve favorable results by continuously cutting unnecessary expenses and increasing business efficiency," he concluded

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/layoffs-are-not-the-solution-nintendo-s-iwata#close-modal

If only everyone else in the industry had this same mindset.

I said their games convey a sense of class and tastefulness (and no I haven't played every single Nintendo game). They are meant to be fun and appeal to everyone.

What's wrong with that?

As far as their lack of commentary outside of gaming goes, I don't really keep up with all the details.
but what's wrong with a political statement?

And what is a political statement cause that shit is subjective to a lot of people lmao. And I feel like you are just playing dumb as if you don't understand why we are suspect of what you are saying. You're tryna make it seem like we have an issue with games just being "fun" or whatever. Come on...

If you aren’t playing their games that have political commentary in them, you can’t call the company as a whole apolitical. You can paint just about any big game developer as apolitical if you’re only looking at a select number of their games.

That’s like calling Sega apolitical if you’ve only played Sonic games, or Ubisoft apolitical if you’ve only played Rayman, etc. And that’s only considering their game output, and not the company themselves. Not to mention the quite frankly terrible connotations of praising apolitical stances to begin with.

I wouldn’t even call something like Sonic non-political considering the very obvious themes of environmentalalism it’s had from the very beginning.

I wouldn’t even call something like Sonic non-political considering the very obvious themes of environmentalalism it’s had from the very beginning.
Yeah, that’s fair. Even I was skeptical of counting that. Kinda hard to find any game that can’t be interpreted in some sort of political lens beyond the simplest of games.

but what's wrong with a political statement?

And what is a political statement cause that shit is subjective to a lot of people lmao. And I feel like you are just playing dumb as if you don't understand why we are suspect of what you are saying. You're tryna make it seem like we have an issue with games just being "fun" or whatever. Come on...
Nothing... but why do we need to shoehorn political statements into everything? I don't play Nintendo games for political commentary.... and who is "we"?

You speak as though you are a collective judging me for having an opinion... or worse yet having made a statement that is being taken out of context.

Called me old fashioned, but I like how Nintendo is stuck in a timeless vacuum of FUN. No more. No less.

Anyway, night all :cool:

Except all the games where potentially “political” issues are part of the game. Climate change led to the world of Splatoon. Fire Emblem allows players to marry characters of the same gender. Advance Wars was delayed for a year due to the invasion of Ukraine.

Maybe you never played these games either just like you have not played Xenoblade but you cannot say Nintendo doesn’t address real world “political” issues in their games.

I’m using “politics” in quotes because we both know what you are actually implying.

. . .

d6shGlV.png

Is anyone else getting the vibe that Kreese's problem with Baldur's Gate 3 was that you can be gay and make a trans character

Nothing... but why do we need to shoehorn political statements into everything? I don't play Nintendo games for political commentary.... and who is "we"?

You speak as though you are a collective judging me for having an opinion... or worse yet having made a statement that is being taken out of context.
I'm sorry people don't like your bad opinions.

I root for Nintendo because it makes most of the games I want to play.

And like no company is your friend, but I at least appreciate that Nintendo’s ethos is essentially: Yes, we want your money, but in exchange, you’ll (usually) get S-tier gameplay. Nintendo’s games often have a level of polish I don’t get from other developers.

Am I a homer? Maybe.
Yeah I agree, Nintendo love money sure, but I feel I'm getting what I'm paying for. People often call them anti consumer but I disagree.

Bad opinion?😂

What is with the obsession with political commentary in gaming?

How would you like Nintendo to shoehorn political commentary into Zelda or Mario for instance.

Run some ideas by me. I'm open ears.
There is literally a Mario game with a trans party member. There is a Mario subseries about a CEO abusing his employees to churn out games to make a quick buck while trying to avoid paying them. These games are already political.

Bad opinion?😂

How would you like Nintendo to shoehorn political commentary into Zelda or Mario for instance.

Well for starters they could openly address Vivian being trans in the Thousand Year Door remake this year

Bad opinion?😂

Behold, Kreese's nightmare, already come to fruition

yxuvh4mslvb21.png

Bad opinion?😂

Easy. Many Zelda games are restoration fantasies, many of them feature idealic lands of fair skinned people being invaded by menacing, dark skinned desert dwellers. Mario often features extremely sexist views of gender roles. Both Mario Sunshine and Windwaker have light environmentalist themes. You thought you were being slick lol.

For right wing dog whistling, talking past people and being dismissive over inclusion, an extensive history of conspiracy pushing, and more, you have been permanently banned. -xghost777, Party Sklar, meatbag, Dardan Sandiego, MN, BLG, Tangerine Cookie
I bet you wanna root all nintendo employees.
yikes-well.gif

There is literally a Mario game with a trans party member. There is a Mario subseries about a CEO abusing his employees to churn out games to make a quick buck while trying to avoid paying them. These games are already political.
Does a single character in a game qualify as political commentary? Which Mario game are you talking about as well I must be getting old lol

I think there was a trans character in TOTK as well on that island. I don't consider that commentary though... more like being inclusive to people of all shapes and sizes.

For everyone.

which is the Nintendo way :cool: Like I said their games exude class and tastefulness.

Anyway, night all.

Last edited:
Does a single character in a game qualify as political commentary? Which Mario game are you talking about as well I must be getting old lol

I think there was a trans character in TOTK as well on that island. I don't consider that commentary though... more like being inclusive to people of all shapes and sizes.

For everyone.

which is the Nintendo way :cool: Like I said their games exude class and tastefulness.

Anyway, night all.

For everyone.

Anyway, night all.

Great that you've clarified that you don't consider queer people to be political commentary, after... how many posts...? What exactly DO you consider to be political commentary?

Yeah I agree, Nintendo love money sure, but I feel I'm getting what I'm paying for. People often call them anti consumer but I disagree.
I mean… Nintendo absolutely has been anti-consumer. It doesn’t get to close four different digital stores and skirt by without criticism. The fact that Nintendo has had five digital stores is anti-consumer. This may (and better) change with Switch 2…

With the OP banned from their thread, we’re closing this. -xghost777, meatbag, Party Sklar, Dardan Sandiego, VolcanicDynamo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom