• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I am shocked by how much i love the GBA colors for NSO.

Mer.Saloon

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
I don't usually do these sorts of gushing threads, but I had a bit of a shock today that I wanted to express.

The GBA was an amazing handheld for me growing up, and home to so many amazing games. But the games I loved so much were the SNES game ports for Mario and Zelda which I never had.

Then as time went on and I watched YouTube emulator or capture footage of these games, I was shocked at how washed out these games were and chalked up a lot of my good memories of their visuals to nostalgia.

I haven't really interacted with a GBA proper in a long time, or gotten into the color correcting emulation scene, so I never really shifted that view until recently when I played Super Mario Advance again in what felt like ages.

I was bloody shocked. The colors weren't washed out, they were a deep and roch palette, matching a lot of what I felt the game looked like on my old GBA. They looked so striking and beautiful in this form. This is what I remember this game really looking like when I was younger. Not that overly desaturated mess I'd been exposed to on YouTube clips and through old emulators. This was one heck of a glow up.

So yeah, just wanted to gush about how much I love this emulator.

Last edited:
Agreed. The GBA and GB filters were amazing. My only complaint is that you have to exit the game to adjust the filters, but that is a mild complaint really. Also, that is what save states are for.

Agreed. The GBA and GB filters were amazing. My only complaint is that you have to exit the game to adjust the filters, but that is a mild complaint really. Also, that is what save states are for.
I am 100% with you. I really wish there was a button combo I could punch in to turn the filter on and off on the fly, but yeah, mild complaint. Genuinely some of the best emulator “filter” work I’ve ever seen.

On docked mode, yeah, they're pretty awesome.

Handheld mode fullscreen is great, original size is terrible and looks nothing like a GBA though.

That's interesting. I think they do a good enough job of replicating the GBA SP, but it doesn't look like the original GBA much at all.

Personally I’m not a big fan of the colour correction used on GBA and especially the GBC NSO service. It’s too aggressive and overly washed out.

The Wii U GBA VC did a better job in that regard (and also did a better job with its selective per pixel motion blur implementation for those all important flicker transparencies).

That being said though? The multiplayer implementation is basically flawless, and that’s the real big win here. It took far too long for it to happen officially with Nintendo’s various official emulation solutions, but at least the implementation here is absolutely top shelf. You even get full Single Pak multiplayer support, even though it’s unnecessary since everyone with NSO owns every game! Fantastic stuff!

Also bonus marks for the seamless rumble support, and max props for the support for cartridge tilt sensing. Well done NERD!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom