• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion I’m gonna say what we’re all thinking. Switch 2 NEEDS trackpads.

If Skyward Sword can force us to use either or and somehow be the worst of all worlds, I'm not so sure.

Pro Controller Gyro is thankfully a lot better than Wii Remote Plus, it's usually minutes, hours between recalibrating. The system Gyro is good enough even for VR without making people sick! Impressive stuff, and so, so, so much better than sensor bars.

Because don't you remember? If something went wrong with the sensor bar.

You weren't ALLOWED recalibrate it!
Pro controller? I meant mostly for the joycons

Surprised you said Skyward Sword since SSHD needs to recalibrate much more on Switch than Wii

Skyward Sword, Wario are the two games that bring out the issues the most imo off the top of my head

Pro controller? I meant mostly for the joycons

Surprised you said Skyward Sword since SSHD needs to recalibrate much more on Switch than Wii

Skyward Sword, Wario are the two games that bring out the issues the most imo off the top of my head
Skyward Sword HD does need to reset the position more, but at least it gives you the option. It also has the benefit that calibration for the sensors are system side, and don't need to be done in-game.

While I absolutely want improvements to motion controls, sensor bar is not the answer!

Skyward Sword HD does need to reset the position more, but at least it gives you the option. It also has the benefit that calibration for the sensors are system side, and don't need to be done in-game.

While I absolutely want improvements to motion controls, sensor bar is not the answer!
I did have an issue with the sensor bar when I played SS on the Wii and I was only able to play it by disconnecting the sensor bar. And IIRC the game did allow you to recalibrate in the map screen.

Fake edit: Found a screenshot of it (the "Center" button).
rlzhcU4.jpg

I did have an issue with the sensor bar when I played SS on the Wii and I was only able to play it by disconnecting the sensor bar. And IIRC the game did allow you to recalibrate in the map screen.

Fake edit: Found a screenshot of it (the "Center" button).
rlzhcU4.jpg
I was under the impression that centres the map, it doesn't rejig the sensor, but maybe I'm wrong. Moment to moment swordfighting was meant to autocalibrate using the sensor bar and as your experience showed it wasn't great at it, nor was it great in my experience.

Splatoon, on Wii U, used a magnetometer in the GamePad to provide autocalibration that was pretty good, and while Switch lacks an IR bar and magnetometer, it's pretty good at keeping a lock just from gravity. It's been months since it's "drifted" on me.

No tracks pad! Also no gyro, shit only exists to make controllers way more expensive. Give me some decent back buttons instead

No tracks pad! Also no gyro, shit only exists to make controllers way more expensive. Give me some decent back buttons instead
If ps4/xbox one taught me anything then either gyro added cost was inconsiquential or another company will match the competitions price with a less equipped product just to make more money.

All? Most have no idea what trackpads are
it was a title made as a joke really. The adoption of steamdeck is lower than the traditional consoles so its a percent of a percent that would have invested time with the input method but from my limited time its super interesting.

euaaagghhh

please no

no trackpads please 😆

but i'm not against the idea of some sort of capacitive touch on the back of the joycons, like the vita!

I wouldn't mind a small, easily reachable trackpad. I guess the only room to put anything like that at this point is the back of the controller, because the PlayStation placement is useless lol. But lord knows there's enough console games with stupid cursor selection in the menus nowadays. So I'd be totally open to it as an OPTION. If you like motion in an FPS, use gyro. If you like mouse controls, use trackpad. If you like neither, sticks. But absolutely don't replace anything with it

gyro is good enough if you implement it well and the player calibrates it properly to his taste
Or her, or their

no trackpads please 😆

but i'm not against the idea of some sort of capacitive touch on the back of the joycons, like the vita!
helllll no. I don't think there's a single Vita game that justified the back touchpad over back buttons like the deck or stacked shoulders.

Because don't you remember? If something went wrong with the sensor bar.

You weren't ALLOWED recalibrate it!
I don't remember, because I've never had something go wrong with just the sensor bar. I've used them in many different environments and it's always worked well. I'm by no means pushing for them to come back, but I'm a bit perplexed at the issues with them some are stating here.

The only issue I've had was with Skyward Sword liking to center on a window far to the right of the TV in the evening when the sun was coming through.

(It's also not really an "allowed to" thing; the remote either saw a pair of IR light sources or it didn't. There's no calibration to be had other than the strength of the light.)

it's pretty good at keeping a lock just from gravity. It's been months since it's "drifted" on me.
I notice subtle drift every single time I play Splatoon; both 'center has moved' and constant slight movement while I hold the controller still.

It's also not really an "allowed to" thing; the remote either saw a pair of IR light sources or it didn't. There's no calibration to be had other than the strength of the light.
That's only half the story. Wii U (maybe later Wii system software releases too) asked you whether the bar was positioned above or below the TV. The system didn't really have a way to tell where the bar was relative to the TV. The way distance was measured was another thing. That and not always knowing what IR source was really the "bar", and yeah, you couldn't manually adjust the strength to be sensed. The Wii Remote could absolutely lose the bar even in relatively favourable conditions, and having a Wii U GamePad blasting its IR bar in the same room, you're cooked. Because of the Wii U GamePad, we also know that the distance measurement was being played fast and loose with, and the system couldn't account for particularly large or particularly small screens without physically changing the size of the sensor bar. Then there was playing too close or too far away from it, and that absolutely freaked it out!

Sure you could say "well, organise your living room", but most consumers are just going to... Not do that. Some live in small quarters. Some people playing Wii were kids! As a kid, I had a large, south-facing living room, and lord knows I wasn't allowed move anything around. Play on a beanbag? Now I'm pointing UP at the screen, and that changes things too.

Some people just had issues with them you didn't. I'm sure there are people who have issues with gyro that I don't. But the issues absolutely existed, and there was very little we could do about them. At least I can give gyro a quick calibration and a centering.

Back
Top Bottom