• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Hypothetical: You have to "TotK-ify" a game. Which one do you pick?

lmfao

Xenoblade Golf. Reuses maps from the full trilogy plus X. Also Breath of the Wild Golf. I want these more and more every time I post them lol.

This, specifically Xeno, is the best idea ever.

Going back to RPG worlds in particular does have a strong appeal to me especially if the characters I met the first time are still there. Some game worlds I'd love to revisit would be the ones from Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Trails in the Sky. I'd even be cool or perhaps even happier with some RPG revisits not really having too much combat or challenges as long as it feels like there are still new things to discover and there's more time to spend with the characters I care about.

Also I do think it'd be cool to see more genre flip flops in the same world like Yakuza 7 compared to normal Yakuza games. Yokohama in particular felt like an entirely different game when I experienced it for a second time in Lost Judgment when it switched from RPG to action gameplay. Would love to see more games play around with this dynamic. Like imagine a turn based RPG set in BOTW Hyrule kind of thing.
Fully agreed I think if they ever follow up Tears of the Kingdom in the same Hyrule its should be a completely different genre.

lmfao

This, specifically Xeno, is the best idea ever.

Fully agreed I think if they ever follow up Tears of the Kingdom in the same Hyrule its should be a completely different genre.
Yeah I was having fun with the Pokemon crossover joke idea (which darn now I want that too lol), but I think there’s a lot of cool potential to have another game played straight in another genre in BOTW Hyrule. I was thinking about the Monster Extermination Squad for example and how different characters in it band together to fight monsters. You could make up some cool new characters and have a party travel around Hyrule and solve whatever problems are plaguing the land. Perhaps Link and Zelda were absent for some reason and it is up to the people of Hyrule to step up kind of thing.

Also I’ve joked about Xenoblade Golf enough, I have a full pitch and feature set for it at this point imagined. It’d be the most awkward thing, but too bad there’s no way to pitch it to Monolith lol. Maybe if we meme about it hard enough, Monolith can take notice haha.

Can I still say Zelda? Because TP has my favourite world/aesethetic but Hyrule field and the side quests don't have enough in them. A sequel featuring more on the Twilight Zone as a second 'world' added on top would be fantastic.

Pokemon Scarlett and Violet feels like an obvious choice if GF can iron out the engine issues. Fill the map with more stuff to find/do, expand the school, build in a better system for level progression of main story events, etc.

Honestly… not many.

It’s still a miracle TOTK worked as well as it did. BotW’s world was just so massive, and the world design was also the star of that game, that there was so much potential for in it for more adventures as the “definitive” Hyrule. Hell, they could probably do it a third time with even more drastic changes and it’d still be awesome, though I would prefer moving away from Hyrule.

Most other games I love aren’t nearly as big, or are more segmented. So most examples I have wouldn’t span the whole game and would be more like fanservice little segments like Galaxy 2’s Throwback Galaxy or MGS4’s return to Shadow Moses.

I guess I’d always be fine for Samus to revisit Zebes but I’d still want the level design to be reimagined, so I’m not sure that counts.

Maybe a 3D Mario that reuses a hub?
I think it definitely depends on how you go about it. A lot of open worlds are perfectly suited for this approach because changing the core gameplay loop and modes of traversal can drastically change how you interact with the game. I'm not sure people even realized that Far Cry Primal was based on the Far Cry 4 map until people overlaid the maps. Even ALBW still managed to feel fairly distinct from ALttP. Of course, a sense of familiarity will always persist so it's not something you can or should do perpetually but it can be a valid approach depending on what the developers' aim is.

Back
Top Bottom