• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour huh? a film adaptation of “The Sims” is reportedly in development, directed by Kate Herron

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
WooHoo, a film adaptation of “The Sims” is in the works!

LuckyChap principals Margot Robbie, Josey McNamara and Tom Ackerley will produce alongside Roy Lee for Vertigo Entertainment.

Kate Herron, who helmed “Loki,” is set to direct the movie and co-write with Briony Redman. The writing duo most recently collaborated on the script for a “Doctor Who” episode. Herron is next set to direct an episode on the second season of “The Last of Us.”
?????

the staff involved makes this seem unlikely, but it would be wild if this was a successor to the Tetris movie. revolving around Will Wright’s absurdly dramatized attempt at creating the original game.
the public perception of EA would be more than enough to make them a worthy successor to the USSR, and the real-life inciting incident that spawned it’s creation (Will lost his home and possessions in the 1991 Oakland firestorm) is more shocking than the Tetris film’s notoriously fake car chase finale.

My first thought was "This better be in all Sims-speak with subtitles", then I read your post and now I'm like "if this happens, it better be as entertainingly bonkers as Tetris" because frankly that movie was better than it had any right to be.

if the movie doesn’t have a scene where a pool ladder disappears, instant bomba

They should make it a psychological horror story in which poor sims get trapped in a tiny room with no windows and doors by a dangerous omniscient being who delights in making them go through deadly trials.

I'm guessing it would be something like Free Guy, which honestly was decent.

I wonder if the success of Barbie played a role here, because that's immediately what my mind jumped to. A movie about the world of the Sims, only for the Sims to enter the real world and take back their freedom, or something equally bizarre along those lines.

Finally, the definitive answer to what happened to Bella between Sims 1 and 2 will be told in movie form.

It's going to be a mediocre romcom with the green Cristal as some sort of gimmick, isn't it?

Last edited:
I'd argue they learned the right lessons, which is that you can market a toy commercial as socially progressive and it'll make a billion dollars.
I'd argue that the right lesson was that making a film aimed at women that reflects their experiences (seriously, my wife was close to tears during the speech about being a woman) and makes women feel celebrated and inspired, using women in key creative roles can lead to you tapping into a massively underserved audience.

With all the expansions the games get, just imagine the possibilities for the Sims Cinematic Universe.

I don’t have expectations for this to get filmed or released. They’ve been flirting with ideas for Sims TV or movie projects since the second game.

I wonder if the success of Barbie played a role here, because that's immediately what my mind jumped to. A movie about the world of the Sims, only for the Sims to enter the real world and take back their freedom, or something equally bizarre along those lines.
I could see that working. Or a dramatic retelling about the game’s origin as you said in the OP. The path to The Sims is wild even without the Oakland fire.

My first thought was "This better be in all Sims-speak with subtitles", then I read your post and now I'm like "if this happens, it better be as entertainingly bonkers as Tetris" because frankly that movie was better than it had any right to be.
Tetris was excellent, although I confess I didn’t really understand what they were trying to do with the somewhat ridiculous spy plot.

Back
Top Bottom