• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion How Would You Feel About An Affordable Nintendo VR Headset (Switch 2)

Machrider

Paratroopa
Lets say for Switch 2, Nintendo made an OPTIONAL VR/AR headset. Something a bit better than the PS4 VR headset, but not as high end as the PS5 one and not as crazy expensive as the Apple Vision Pro.

Lets say something that costs $249.99 with a full game included, maybe 1440p resolution display (driving games that are natively 900p but DLSS-ed up). External cameras for basic AR. Few fun Nintendo like features like a built in fan that simulates the feeling of wind on your face (Pilotwings!).

But it would work with things like Mario Kart Next, Metroid Prime 4, and have implementation into things like a Mario 3D platformer. Joycons are the controller of course.

Can also do things like just function as a display where you can play Switch games on like a massive 10 foot display, etc.

Nintendo already had a, frankly, pretty great affordable VR headset for Switch called Labo VR.
I would absolutely be down for a Labo VR 2

Nintendo already had a, frankly, pretty great affordable VR headset for Switch called Labo VR.
I would absolutely be down for a Labo VR 2

Yes basically marry Labo VR with tech that is a bit better than Sony's PS4 VR (that one had a 1080p display only I think, probably can go a step above that).

I've found that VR does very little for me unless the games are built with it in mind. As an optional device that just adds VR functionality to traditional games this would leave me pretty cold. I guess it could work for Metroid Prime or other games with optional first-person camera.

I've found that VR does very little for me unless the games are built with it in mind. As an optional device that just adds VR functionality to traditional games this would leave me pretty cold. I guess it could work for Metroid Prime or other games with optional first-person camera.
what if you could make a cardboard bird and flap it around

I’d feel alright about it! Nothing against VR for sure, but not really for me. Instead of finding it immersive I just find it super distracting that I’m cut off from the world around me lol. To be fair I only owned one headset, the first PSVR, and I’m sure quality of experience has gone up since then

Yes basically marry Labo VR with tech that is a bit better than Sony's PS4 VR (that one had a 1080p display only I think, probably can go a step above that).
I don’t think Nintendo would go too far into this direction. Like, I think if they were to do VR again for the next hardware, it’d probably be pretty similar in terms of functionality to Labo VR: you’re holding the device, it’s the console in a headpiece, maybe you can make some purpose-built controllers for minigames like the Labo stuff. I don’t think they have any interest in, for example, a head strap, inside-out tracking, or disconnected hand controls.

I would fucking lose my mind

luckily such a thing doesn't exist
bird_dude.gif

NintendoLand VR could convince me to hop on board if it were a separate device that were operated wirelessly to allow for asymmetric multiplayer gameplay, but yeah I think the biggest issue is finding which game series are good fits for dedicated VR experiences as opposed to just porting existing titles over (and also if they can still encourage communal gameplay that isn't an isolating single player experience). Like sure, Metroid Prime Remaster/4 in VR like RE4 VR? Hell yeah, that'll work if people are okay with FPS games (and I believe in Retro to optimize their games to achieve higher framerates to reduce motion sickness). Splatoon in VR? Spewing chunks as colourful as the ink in less than 30 seconds or your money back.

Even at $250USD, they can have as many concept tech demos as they like at launch, but it needs a solid half dozen fully realized games while still balancing development with their existing Switch platform.

I've never been that interested in VR. I tried the Quest once but it didn't do anything for me. I don't even think that a Star Fox game could do it.

I don’t think Nintendo would go too far into this direction. Like, I think if they were to do VR again for the next hardware, it’d probably be pretty similar in terms of functionality to Labo VR: you’re holding the device, it’s the console in a headpiece, maybe you can make some purpose-built controllers for minigames like the Labo stuff. I don’t think they have any interest in, for example, a head strap, inside-out tracking, or disconnected hand controls.

You could be right. They could just recycle the Labo VR idea, but make a plastic holder for the Switch 2 ... especially if Switch 2 has a 1080p screen, it would be a nice sized upgrade over Switch 1 Labo (which very few people got to play) and have some fun in Mario Kart VR or Metroid Prime 4 VR.

It could even be the new way to play "gimmick" for Switch 2 as this could be integrated quite cheaply.

Like any hardware it comes down to what I can do with it. If Nintendo supported it with interesting experiences, I would absolutely be interested.

I don’t have any interest in VR at all. I don’t even play games on the TV in the living room anymore, let alone needing a large space around me. Switch has pretty much hit exactly what I want out of hardware as it is, which is a decent portable that can also work in console/tabletop mode and has Nintendo’s entire games development pipeline on it.

I think Mario Kart VR (along with Metroid Prime VR) would be very, very cool experiences. The Mario Kart arcade game has been VR-ized and people rave about how cool it is to play.

Now a cheap home solution isn't going to be as good as that, but it can give a lot of same feeling, think people would be surprised how neat it is
aHR0cDovL28uYW9sY2RuLmNvbS9oc3Mvc3RvcmFnZS9taWRhcy8zOTg2NmU5M2UxZjViMmI4MDExMWJlNGY4ZDE0MGQ1YS8yMDU0ODc3MzYvbWFyaW8ta2FydC12ci1lbmdhZGdldC5qcGc=

I would absolutely be down for it.

If it's anything like the patent that showed multiple people using devices - Switches perhaps - to interact and play asymmetrically, then I think that would be even better.

I do have concerns about the longevity of such a device in a now fast moving sector like VR, but if anyone can bring something fresh, affordable and innovative to the table..... Nintendo can.

I feel like it may end up being a layer of Switchiness though, another way to play, with a detachable console that is basically Switch 2. That'd be dope.

Lets say something that costs $249.99 with a full game included, maybe 1440p resolution display (driving games that are natively 900p but DLSS-ed up). External cameras for basic AR. Few fun Nintendo like features like a built in fan that simulates the feeling of wind on your face (Pilotwings!).
That would be a bit underwhelming. Quest 2 launched at $299 nearly three years ago. Its price got bumped up eventually, but is now back down to $299 with the announcement of its successor. So if Nintendo produced something new now that wasn't much cheaper but was notably behind 2020 tech? They could do better.

That would be a bit underwhelming. Quest 2 launched at $299 nearly three years ago. Its price got bumped up eventually, but is now back down to $299 with the announcement of its successor. So if Nintendo produced something new now that wasn't much cheaper but was notably behind 2020 tech? They could do better.

Though I think Meta was heavily subsidizing (possibly losing money) at that price. But yeah, potentially I guess maybe Nintendo could do it for $199.99. That wouldn't be bad either.

At what resolution does the "screen door effect" become minimalized?

I'd be interested if Nintendo incorporated the ideas of the Pimax Portal into the next Switch.

Kickstarter | Pimax Portal
e8a4d237ae4bdb37ea4d2cbb710b491b_original.gif

Cheap VR as an optional but not mandatory feature. At least that might lead to more interesting Nintendo developed VR type games like Labo provided.

Depends. Would there be any exclusive games? How do they play? If it’s merely say, a VR mode for the next Mario Kart, I’m not buying a whole separate $250+ headset for that. I’ll stick with docked mode.

Buying an extra, expensive thing is the part I waffle on. A Labo-like solution makes more sense for the Switch audience. However, if Nintendo actually wants people to use it and take it seriously, it can’t be made out of cardboard. How feasible is it for Nintendo to build VR functionality into a Switch successor where it functions well yet doesn’t add a ton of cost to the unit (like 3D on 3DS)?

If Tears of the Kingdom still ran at a decent frame rate in VR mode and all I had to do was buy an optional $50 headmount to dock the Switch successor into, I’d probably do that.

At what resolution does the "screen door effect" become minimalized?
It's more about how the screen tech itself and how the pixels work than a resolution number. Very simplistic example, but zoomed up ultra close as one does in VR, one screen might be more like one or the other of these, the first of which would have worse screen door effect.
xEH2GIK.png

5qKWWUV.png

In a perfect world, I would love it. I just don't see the tech being strong enough to push VR still. But assuming that bridge was crossed... maybe. But they'd need to support it with games, and that might also split teams once again, albeit they might just be random bespoke modes in games like Odyssey VR was.

The future is not VR.

They have a ready made cheap VR setup with the Switch configuration however, so If they keep that configuration for Switch 2, they can release a plastic shell for it, i'd be down for some light VR experiences.
I personally think walking sims, or some sort of relaxing Nintendo game could work really well as a killer app for it. But that has to be optional and not the main draw of it.

I'd buy it if it had proper software to support it, but I've never been into VR from what I've played and my living space is extremely not conducive to it.

I think before COVID VR had a promising future as the revival of arcades. The full potential of VR gaming demands a better setup than most people can reasonably support

I think Nintendo would be more interested in VRcades considering their direction with theme parks rather then home style VR. The only way I see Nintendo doing anything worth a note is with a Labo styled VR release with VR being optional.

VR is not conducive for portable gaming, which is how I primarily game, so no thanks.

Something like Labo? Yeah sure whatever, I wouldn't be buying like I didn't buy Labo but it'd be easy to ignore which is the main thing.

Something like PSVR? Please no. I really enjoyed the Astro Bot VR game although I don't get where the 'best platformer ever' comments come from, but even though that game was like 6 hours long I couldn't even manage more than 30 minutes playing it at a time. So it took me at least a dozen sittings to finish (not even 100%) a really basic and short game on VR, I can't imagine how it'd impact the next Mario, Metroid Prime, Pokemon (Snap?), Zelda or whatever. Just no. It's not even like I get headaches, it's just really uncomfortable and obtrusive when I can't see anything else or like take a drink/snack or lie down or do literally anything else other than playing the game with 100% focus.

PSVR and in particular the quickly flatlining PSVR2 show that VR has a very small niche which is fine and great, but it's nowhere near impactful enough to design the next entry in Hollywood's biggest star Mario around.

Not purposebuilt VR is not great.

Even with the midrange psvr2 optics its hard to get a "perfect"(as in as good as it gets) image. I dont think its a tech thats ready for Nintendo to do good-enough hardware in, with great software, as they do in the console space.

even as an optional add-on I'm not entirely sold on the idea as it'd require a significant software investment from Nintendo when I'd rather they focus their efforts on Switch 2 itself.

You can just look at how underwhelming PSVR 2 currently is despite being pretty damn good hardware because it doesn't feel like Sony is necessarily putting all the stops on it development wise whether it's internal or getting ports (where is Half Life Alyx ?).

Even stuff like RE8 VR or RE4R VR don't seem to have as much of a splash as RE7 VR (probably also due to people cooling off on the VR craze as well as those versions coming later when most of the intended audiences might have already played it).

I live in a tiny flat, so investing in VR for me is a bit out of the question. Still, I think Nintendo could probably pull off amazing games in VR. Especially if the tech is on par with -or superior to- PSVR original flavour.

Ehh, I don't want it. I don't want my kids to be using VR yet and I don't have much interest myself, besides just trying it out now and again.

The next Switch is going to have VR. It's not my thing, but it just seems like a no brainer to have something to slide the tablet portion of the console into and then use the joycons as controllers.

something in guts, tells me, AR/VR will be the main concept/apeal of Switch sucessor

I was in this belief for the longest time, but now I'm not so certain.

If anyone can gove VR/AR that price to fin ratio with attractive software and features though, I believe Nintendo can.

I've tried to get into VR multiple times and once the initial gimmick of vr wore off after just a day or two I always found it cumbersome, tiresome, and not so much more fun than regular games to make it worth it. Nintendo would maybe have the best chance of making VR games that really interest me but the headset would not only need to be affordable, it would need to be wireless and lightweight enough that I could wear it for hours without being bothered by it. Oh and it would need to have lenses that don't fog up cause that is always so annoying. If they can do that then I'd be up for it.

having said all that, honestly I'd probably buy it no matter what cause Nintendo have that kind of grip on me lol

Back
Top Bottom