• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion How Nintendo Can Bring the Bang for your Buck for the NSO Expansion Pass

Would this be enough to get you to subscribe to the Expansion Pass?

• Yes

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

Hidden04

Like Like
Banned
Pronouns
He/Him
The Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass launched yesterday, and it has gathered a fair bit of controversy. However, a little while ago I gathered my ideas on how the service can be improved if you are paying for the Expansion Pack.

- Nintendo Music

A selection of music from first-party Nintendo Switch titles, such as Xenoblade 1,2, Fire Emblem, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2. More game's OST's are added every month.

- Game Discounts and DLC

Games such as Astral Chain or Link's Awakening will get exclusive discounts for EP subscribers. A selection of Discounted first-party titles are available every month, rotating monthly.

DLC such as BOTW Expansion pass, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, and other DLC are added over time.

Finally, exclusive Single Player Games

Games that would not be made otherwise, like a lower budget Warioland or Golden Sun Remake would be available on the Expansion Pass to play at no additional cost.

So, what do you think? Would this be enough to get you to subscribe to the Expansion Pass?

I would take all of that ofc but honestly, I pay 8.8€ for a year of nso + pass, there's not a chance in hell I get any of that for so little lol

Tbh all they’d need to do is add GBA and I’d pay for Expansion Pass.
NESflix is a great idea and I think the $20 one is a steal, the $50 is just not worth it for what’s there.

Also the Nintendo Music would have to be a phone app too or it’d be completely worthless imo.

I already subbed so of course I'll take a bunch more stuff. We aren't going to get new single player games like that, but it sure would be nice.

I think this will mostly remain a retro service, but if they add GB, GBA and maybe a few other consoles, I think the appeal increases significantly for many.

Tbh all they’d need to do is add GBA and I’d pay for Expansion Pass.
NESflix is a great idea and I think the $20 one is a steal, the $50 is just not worth it for what’s there.

Also the Nintendo Music would have to be a phone app too or it’d be completely worthless imo.
Oh yeah when you download the Nintendo Music app, you get a code for the mobile version of the app.

I split an Expansion Family Plan with friends so I only pay 15 a year, which is fine with me. I'd be fine with all of this of course and would pay 50 dollars for it, but also dislike games exclusive to subscription services. Maybe if those games were exclusive for a few months then went on general retail I'd feel better.

Really for me if they tiered it by console it would have been fine.

Year 1: NES, $10/year
Year 2: NES/SNES, $20/year
Year 3: NES/SNES/N64, $30/year
Year 4: NES/SNES/N64/GBC, $40/year
Year 5: NES/SNES/N64/GBC/GBA, $50/year

Make the online infrastructure actually good before I cough up any more money. Outside that:
1) Nintendo Music
2) More legacy platforms
3) Free monthly games like PS Plus and Games with Gold
4) Discounts and DLC access
5) MyNintendo tie-in rewards
6) Exclusive games for the Expansion Pass (I honestly think the A-tier games that they publish like Good Job or Snipperclips would greatly benefit from this).

Finally, exclusive Single Player Games

Games that would not be made otherwise, like a lower budget Warioland or Golden Sun Remake would be available on the Expansion Pass to play at no additional cost.

Can you imagine the uproar about this? Millions of bad faith arguments about “preservation” despite Nintendo being one of the few Japanese companies that doesn’t chuck their source code and design docs out the window as soon as the game is done lol

I think that’s a cool idea as it reminds me of Nintendo Satellaview.

I dig your idea. They should throw in themes as well.

I don't like the concept of new games being only made available via the Expansion Pass. I assume that under this system only current subscribers get to keep the games? I can kinda understand that for games that require the paid online, but a digital only game that lacks permanent ownership, let alone a physical copy is very prone to being lost to time. It's already a dang shame that I can't access Mario 35 on my Switch or that others can't buy 3D All Stars or the Fire Emblem NES translation - I don't need other Nintendo games like that.

Your other ideas seem sound, even if I prefer ownership of my music. For me, the big thing to sweeten the pot are more consoles, with PS+ style discounts and DLC being the cherry on top.

Eh, I don't really need or care for the music thing. Discounts are nice as a bonus perk, but you're paying to get discounts in the end so... lol

I like your ideas for DLC and exclusive single player games, especially for titles that would otherwise not get a release. I don't know if Nintendo wants their IP to seem "devalued" by not being a full-priced retail release, but they could definitely do it for spinoffs like Kirby Fighters, or maybe smaller scope remakes of older titles (like that Star Fox SNES remake that Q-Games pitched for 3DS).

Things I feel Nintendo could do to make NSO worth the asking price:

• Far better network consistency, connectivity
  • Consistently scheduled updates, none of this drip feed when they feel like it nonsense
  • Add GB/GBC/GBA
  • Maybe include DS, if applicable (I could see that be years out though)
  • If they ever add Gamecube or Wii games to their online store, perhaps they could have one be available to download per month, but it's tied to your subscription staying active. Otherwise they'd be also available on the eshop.

And this is a personal nitpick but I reaaaally do not like the NSO layout for the games. It's a mess with no borders, like some kind of sliding puzzle, and with duplicates for titles with the Special tags. I far preferred the clean, NES & SNES Mini Console layout. I would love if they included that.

Overall I feel the service just feels bare bones and is highly unreliable in both connection quality and in content updates. I like the classic catalogue of games, and I like the occasional exclusive game they release (though I find it dumb that Mario 35 was a timed event). They need to show they're taking this seriously, especially since they're in PS+/Gamepass pricing territory.

1. Fix the severely broken emulation (opinion)
2. A lot more game releases.

I'm skipping the Expansion unless these two things at least happen.

I really don't care about the games. Give me an actual online service. A real friends list. No friend code bullshit. The ability to message people and invite them to party. NATIVE VOICE CHAT ON THE CONSOLE. Sorry for the all caps on that last point but I mean cmon. A mobile phone app for that stuff!?

I really don't care about the games. Give me an actual online service. A real friends list. No friend code bullshit. The ability to message people and invite them to party. NATIVE VOICE CHAT ON THE CONSOLE. Sorry for the all caps on that last point but I mean cmon. A mobile phone app for that stuff!?
Unfortunately we will have to wait for a Switch 2 for native party and voice chat. The Switch has no room to spare in its UI budget for any of that.

Include indie games. A couple a month or something. They don't have to be brand new either. Chances are I own or have access to most of the ones I care about already but still...

They should do an Audible-like model where they give you a game for free that you can keep, even if you decide to unsubscribe later on.

They should do an Audible-like model where they give you a game for free that you can keep, even if you decide to unsubscribe later on.
So basically Humble Choice without the choice (since it's just one game).

Quoted by: SiG
So basically Humble Choice without the choice (since it's just one game).
Uh, Audible let’s you chose whatever audiobook you want to keep. The Expansion Pack should let you select any eShop game to get as a freebie, with certain exceptions (i.e. Special/Deluxe Editions, etc.).

Considering the annual price of the subscription, it seems only fair.

There isn’t anything they can do to get me to sub unless they fix emulation, don’t drip feed titles, and add a lot more content in general.

so while I see them fixing the emulation at some point, I don’t see them doing the other things based on the past few years of NSO. There’s basically no reason for me to ever pay for the expansion.

Uh, Audible let’s you chose whatever audiobook you want to keep. The Expansion Pack should let you select any eShop game to get as a freebie, with certain exceptions (i.e. Special/Deluxe Editions, etc.).
Oh, so it would be Humble Choice but you can only choose 1 instead of up to 12.

I doubt choosing from the entire eshop library would be viable - publishers would have to agree to such a thing (it's pretty telling that you see the same titles being given away across Humble, Twitch Prime, Game Pass, Epic, EA Play Pro, PS Now, PS Plus etc).

Rework the retro apps's online so that it functions as lobbies - friends in the lobby would effectively get the game streamed to them but, with the host able to swap who's playing relatively freely and be able to switch between any game in the app without breaking up the party.
Add a save state sharing feature where you can send challenges to your friends to try.
Options for borders when playing the retro games
A semiregular schedule where at least one retro title would be added each month ideally (also adding GB, GBC and GBA relatively soon)
Add a small title or DLC every quarter rotating out like PS+/Games with Gold. Happy Home Paradise would stay a permanent bonus though.
Throw in a Pokemon Home subscription

For the $20 tier:
More apps engaging with the invite feature they introduced (just from the top of my head Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Mario Maker, 3D World, Splatoon and the retro apps plus any online focused games going forward)
The ability to send screenshots/clips to friends.
Continue to release a F2P online title each year

I already subscribe. I think the value is perfectly fine for $50. Sure I’ll take more stuff but the price is fine to me.

I’ll be honest, I would probably pay for anything Nintendo releases for NSO unless it’s like hundreds of dollars. I can tell you right now I’ll be there for Expansion Pass Deluxe without even knowing what’s in it 🤷‍♂️

Nintendo Music was basically already done with Smash Ultimate though? They set up the Sound Test menu so you can turn the Switch's screen off while listening to the music.

I think discounts are pretty much inevitable, since both Xbox Live Gold and Playstation Plus already do that.

and DLC is probably going to be like Animal Crossing, in that it's specifically designed for the sub rather than being older DLC re-released for free.

Could they even add old dlc into it? People paid for that stuff back then, there is no benefit to them and it was never said it would be tied into an online plan, also it combined cost more than the new price.

Just seems like a needless lawsuit waiting to happen

Give us a bunch of DLC and let us pick one. So then you aren’t SOL if the DLC offered is from a game you don’t really play.

I feel discounts feel redundant since the eShop already gets all the third party ones. Xbox Gold/PS+ discounts are rarely better than what the Switch gets.
Could they even add old dlc into it? People paid for that stuff back then, there is no benefit to them and it was never said it would be tied into an online plan, also it combined cost more than the new price.

Just seems like a needless lawsuit waiting to happen
I mean, you could make the same argument about games you get from PS+ or even it going on sale.

More platforms, more games, quality emulation.

The threshold for what makes the above worth it to people will vary, but that's ultimately what it's gonna come down to regardless of everything else. I think stuff like DLC only moves the needle when it's a new slam dunk DLC like Animal Crossing that millions of people were gonna buy anyway, but I'm not confident they will do that again (nor do I think they need to).

I think the GameBoy line is most realistic. I sincerely hope the service does not continue this way for what system comes next - the drip feed is (entitled internet person alert) insulting at this point. I think the first tier should have been an immediate retro package of all we have now and the GB fam, and any "expansion" being, say it with me, SEEGAAAAA, ahem, and I mean Mega Genesis 32 Drive X, Master System and GameGear and you know the other dreamy systems that are orbiting around (can you imagine the excitement of having Saturn and Dreamcast there?) The same slow laps we are being forced to go on is not being done well enough to rectify the groundhog frustrations, although the glimpse of Banjo has me Nintendo take my money drunk just thinking about it. For me, I'm happy with the Animal Crossing DLC, but if I weren't such a New Horizons loon I'd be saying things like "never again", "that's the last time I'm doing this Nintendo" and "my life is ruined", etc.

Last edited:
Music should either be done as a mobile / desktop app or just vouchers to a 3rd party service. But that wouldn't be a huge sweetener to me.

Additional retro platforms, exclusive discounts (or a better Gold Coin loyalty bonus), more DLC options would be nice. Although, really I think they just need another platform or two like GBA and/or TG-16 in the tier to really make it worthwhile. Bonus if they start moving past the N64 era although I wonder if the native storage capacity might be a roadblock there.

Music should either be done as a mobile / desktop app or just vouchers to a 3rd party service. But that wouldn't be a huge sweetener to me.

Additional retro platforms, exclusive discounts (or a better Gold Coin loyalty bonus), more DLC options would be nice. Although, really I think they just need another platform or two like GBA and/or TG-16 in the tier to really make it worthwhile. Bonus if they start moving past the N64 era although I wonder if the native storage capacity might be a roadblock there.

For sure about gold coins. Every so often they would do double gold coins on a pre order. 600, which is 6 bucks! That’s pretty great. They should do double points at all times for all members, pre order or not. And they should do it for first and third party games.

Include indie games. A couple a month or something. They don't have to be brand new either. Chances are I own or have access to most of the ones I care about already but still...
I would be very unhappy with this. These are added pretty much only to justify inflating prices with very little benefit. 99% of the "free" games in all the services that do this are either stuff you already own or have zero interest in. I'd rather they add content we wouldn't get otherwise.

They should probably fix the massive problems with N64 emulation before they start adding more half-asses stuff to the pass tbh.

I would be beyond pissed at new video games exclusive to a goddamn subscription service. I'd probably buy it if they made something that I can't do without to it, but I wouldn't be happy about it. That is the worst possible case of a service like Nintendo Switch Online. It's the worst case scenario for game preservation, a world where the only way we'd be able to play these games in 30 years is piracy or praying for a rerelease, and in the case of piracy we'd be at the mercy of whether or not it'd even be possible to pirate these games. Nintendo played this trick before with the Satellaview and it's led to games that are still, to this day, undumped (one of these such games being a fucking Kirby game, which is literally impossible to currently play, legally or illegally, unless you happen to be a random collector in Japan who owns a cart that you haven't told anyone about). In this case they could be made permanently undumpable since you can't save them to a cartridge and Nintendo could make these games unplayable on hacked Switches and give them DRM if they wanted to.

And everything else wouldn't move the needle for me. The one thing that would is giving us monthly free permanent versions of the NSO Online games. A way to make it so that you permanently own those NES and SNES games, even when your subscription stops.

Last edited:
A 20% Discount on all digital games.
Pokemon Home Included
Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance Games (With Pokémon games)
A ton of free DLC for existing and future games as long your subscribed. Content goes away once subscription ends. You can still purchase the DLC for 20% off.
First access to betas/online tests for games
Free Nintendo Switch game of the month

Give me the DLC stuff and bring back the vouchers for the US. I would like more than that like a few indie games a month given to us, but I can live with getting the DLC and vouchers back.

For me, all they need to do is:
  1. Add the rest of the major games for N64 and Genesis that weren't there day one
  2. Fix the input lag and other various bugs
That's it. Seriously. 50 dollars looks a lot more enticing when you have a bunch of N64 games that function properly.

A 20% Discount on all digital games.
In the last year they had $3.15 billion revenue USD for digital sales alone. They'd be losing out on $630 million with a discount like this. At 50 USD a year they'd need at least 12.6 million new subscribers just to match the existing revenue, which is possible but also very aggressive.
Basically that isn't happening unless the sub price is significantly higher.

Atleast discounts for subbed members or bonus discounts on discounts/sales. It's a basic anual sub 101 rule lol.

For music, could be nice. I personally don’t care for it but lots of people would pony up for that.

Discounts would be nice, but I think they’re more likely to offer DLC like Happy Home Paradise. Bring back the vouchers at least!

Exclusive games are a no-no from me. Any release should be purchasable even without the sub.

As for other things I would like to see: general improvements to online, more N64 and Genesis games, GB/GBC/GBA online and more frequent game trials.

• Proper Emulation that is worth the money
  • Proper Online, over all their games. Like get rid of that laggy experience in Smash, that horrendous warping and tickrate in Splatoon 2 and this shit with the online app. Heck, bring me back my gift function from the Wii for gods sake
  • GBA and GCN and not a forced DLC for a game I don't want
  • Stop dripfeeding
  • Some more/other discounts

I don't mind stuff like free DLC for Animal Crossing provided they do this for more games going forward. People like me who don't own or enjoy Animal Crossing (therearedozensofusDOZENS.gif) are getting a rougher deal here, and if Nintendo said 'DLC for future releases will also be available to those who subscribe' then it may be more tempting, but it is still a hard sell to pay now for DLC for games you might enjoy down the line.

I'd like to see them follow Sony's lead and offer more free games from current developers, not just a big retro library. Nintendo have done good work with indies and raising their profile, so make some of these free as part of Switch Online would be nice

They'd be welcome extras, though I think original games like a Golden Sun Remake or a new Wario Land are a long way off being a subscription bonus from Nintendo. Smaller scale download games and expansions might continue to be included, though.

Really, extra gold points, higher sales discounts, and longer game trials are three easy things Nintendo should be doing right now to make the expansion pack more rewarding. I'd expect any further systems being added to NSO will only come to the expansion pack, too.

The other thing that needs doing as soon as possible is a patch for the N64 emulator to correct some of the documented issues. Secondly, all the emulators should be patched to allow people to remap buttons - it's ridiculous Nintendo don't provide a basic feature like that.

And, of course, the other thing they could do would be to improve the online multiplayer options across the service beyond the current fairly basic offering. Yes, it functions, and I've never had any issues with it - but there's no mistaking that Nintendo simply don't offer as many features as other systems do.

Just make Nintendos Legacy Content available up to GC/ Wii/ GB/ GBA/ DS/3DS and i gladly pay 100€ per year or even 10€/per Month. Adding Music would also a nice service.

But 50€ for some old ugly N64 games? Lol no.

Last edited:
I'd prefer them to lean away from the grab bag of assorted stuff, some of which might or might not be of interest to any individual.

DLC as a sweetener is problematic because, it's like paying for a gacha mechanic. Will the next DLC be of interest to you? And unlike the classic games services, there is a requisite of having to buy a game separately in order for that to be any use.

It's hard to backtrack now, but the classic games service should have been a separate product from the basic online, which should have been a cheaper package.

I don't see the value of exclusive single player games. If it's single player, sell it to me outright. Tetris 99 is fine because that it solely an online multiplayer party game. Would it really make more business sense to use a low budget game as a service sweetener rather than just selling it.

The basic issue is that the problem areas should be fixed. Whatever is wrong with the online functionality, be it infrastructure or code, should be fixed. The N64 emulator should be patched to remove those visual bugs and hopefully reduce the latency issues. Nintendo should hold themselves to a top standard in all things they do.

I already bought in, but am looking forward to get at least:
  • Updates for N64
  • More 64 games (wave race, 1080 etc.)
  • GB and GBA

Just make Nintendos Legacy Content available up to GC/ Wii/ GB/ GBA/ DS/3DS and i gladly pay 100€ per year or even 10€/per Month. Adding Music would also a nice service.

But 50€ for some old ugly N64 games? Lol no.

You don't pay 50€, it's 40€ and then again for the whole subscription including expansion. It's a pitty Nintendo doesn't devide the parts, but it's a bit off to state 50$ just for N64 when you also get Cloud Saves, NES, SNES, Mega Drive, N64, AC DLC.

For GC/Wii and 3DS I would prefer proper remasters. The early 3D games really don't hold up on modern TVs compared to pixel art.

Back
Top Bottom