• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion How much of an upgrade is Switch OLED for handheld players?

Kreese

Koopa
Banned
Very close to pulling the trigger on one for TOTK.

I know a new Switch is coming but it probably won't be for a while and they'll probably cheap out on the screen imo

It’s night and day. I just bought the ZOLED and it’s crazy how much a change it is: the size, the brightness and the intensity of the colours. It really feels like the definitive iteration of the Switch. And the games that are native resolution look just beautiful, this is not like the DS or 3DS XL where you could count each pixel.

It's the Switch as you imagined it before v1 released. Sleek, silent, well-proportioned, nice materials.

I went from v1 to OLED in 2021 despite being grumpy that it didn't have a performance boost and loved it from the moment I turned it on. Stuff looked brand new and I'm still continuously pleased by the screen's quality (and subsequently upgraded my laptop and TV because how much I liked the SwOLED =P) .

Personally, the biggest change for me coming from a day one Switch was the better battery.
Old Switch could barely last 2 hours while playing Animal Crossing. I can't even tell you how much I can play with the OLED while playing that game because I never had to stop playing on handled because of the battery lol
(Unless you play on handled for a long period of time, like 4 or 5 hours non stop, but for a handled that plays games like that I think that's a very very nice battery autonomy)

And yeah, it looks pretty good. I did my whole playthrough of Fire Emblem Engage handled mode because of the nice colors. A game that typically I would have played on the TV (I did for Three Houses)

I think Tears of the Kingdom will be my first Switch game in a very long time I'll play almost exclusively while discovering it for the first time on TV mode. It's a very nice console. (And the white joycons and white dock are really cool looking)

It's good. I owned both at one point and put them side by side. The screen size, quality, and the sound are all noticeable upgrades in handheld.

The kickstand is also great. Since I don't love handheld, I sometimes use the kickstand together with a Pro Controller. The Switch is much more stable with the new kickstand.

Big improvement for me. I was playing with a 2017 model before that, and the screen size/quality, build quality, and battery life were all big improvements. Really rejuvenated portable play for me.

edit - sound quality, too! Much better sound on the OLED, though obviously irrelevant if you primarily play with headphones.

Echoing what everyone else has already said but it’s pretty much a requirement to get an OLED if you play mostly handheld. It just improves on the experience a ton with the better, bigger screen, better sound and just a nicer feeling machine.

Couldn’t imagine them going back to an older screen in the next model.

It's such a big improvement that I have played many games in handheld mode for a big chunk of the playthrough, such as Xenoblade 3 and Skyward Sword.

I will also play Tears of the Kingdom like this from time to time - the colors really pop!

I have an OLED and the screen is like putting on glasses.

I prefer my handheld consoles to be "one" unit without detachable joy-cons, so I gaslit myself into thinking I could go back to Switch Lite due to the form factor I like better, but I couldn't do it.

OLED is that good. I have to deal with my hate of slightly wobbly joy-cons because the screen is the best. I'm a handheld only and I have a Steam Deck too and the OLED's screen runs circles around the Deck's.

Like others have said, it’s night and day. Get one, don’t hesitate. Trade it in once the new one is released.

Don't own one, but as others have said it should be a night 'n day difference as a former PlayStation Vita owner. Should be super sharp and colorful that is very difficult to put into words. You have to experience it for yourself.

It’s a nice improvement, but not one that I would’ve been willing to pay £300/$350 for if I already owned a Switch previously (I already had a ver 2 Switch and got my SWOLED as a gift).

If you don’t already own a Switch? Then sure, it’s worth paying the premium for over the Ver 2 LCD model. But it’s really not worth buying if you already own a previous flagship (non Lite) Switch model.

Honestly? As nice as the screen upgrade is? I think the new kickstand is its best feature. It’s actually usable and reliable now!

i upgraded from a launch model and it was a pretty big improvement for me, most importantly the battery life.

I love it. I gave my old one to my sister and watching her play recently and looking at mine it was night and day. I've been playing a ton of games that have like solid styles/color (Engage, CS3,Paranormasight, etc) and its like my switch has the brightness up to 100 (even thought its like 40).

It's basically everything I would have wanted out of a Switch 2 other than the missing jump in processing power.
Better & bigger screen, better speakers, build quality and design/aesthetic, kickstand, battery life, less heat and noise, more internal storage, a nicer dock...

Only one downside for me: the screen collects more dust, which probably is caused by the anti-shatter protector applied on top of the screen itself. A (small) annoyance in the grand scheme of things.

It’s a big upgrade in not just screen quality and size but also the overall feel of the console. The OLED feels solid in your hands. Vibrant games like Cuphead will look incredible, but so will games like Limbo with those deep blacks. TotK will no doubt also look jaw-dropping from the looks of it. It’s a worthy upgrade all in all.

It’s a great upgrade. The screen is much nicer and bigger, it gets a lot dimmer which I love cause I play in bed a lot, the kickstand is actually usable, and the battery is improved. It feels like a premium upgrade which I wasn’t expecting.

One issue I’ve had is the joy cons that came with cracked a little compared to all my others. Could be a weird coincidence, and they’re still perfectly functional, but it was odd.

It is a worthy upgrade. Build quality is improved too, such a no brainer if it makes sense to buy right now.

Huge upgrade! And if you're coming from a launch unit, it's almost a generational leap. Sleek and very polished design with no audible fan noise, vibrant screen that make games look way better and much longer battery. You also get more flexibility on Tabletop due to the improved hinge It's very much worth the buy.

Fantastic improvement.
Got one for Metroid Dread and gave my OG to one of my nephews. Between the increased battery autonomy, the bigger ans higher quality screen, I recommend it without hesitation to everyone.

It's great just for the vastly superior kick stand. I'm a big fan of portable play on a desk/table.

It’s huge. I’ve had one since day one, it’s incredible. I have a Switch Lite for travel and always get very meh about playing a non-OLED Switch or my Steam Deck because the screens are kind dull in comparison.

Purchased and on the way.

Do I need something to protect the screen any recommendations?
Might have been mentioned, but each Switch OLED has a thin layer over the screen by default, though I'm pretty sure this is a shatter guard (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and you'll still absolutely want a proper protector to put over that. Glass Screen protector is definitely the way to go.

Tell us what you think once you get it!
I'm playing TOTK on it and it honestly feels like the most next gen game I've played.

Everything is just so vibrant and it pops, not to mention the incredible game.

10/10 purchase TOTK and the OLED.

I got the white model.

I’ll be honest, I think the the move to a larger OLED screen is more impactful to more people than the DSi/New 3DS-style SoC enhancement we were all expecting would have been.

“Night and day” is right. If you’re a handheld gamer, it’s a no-brainer.

I’ll be honest, I think the the move to a larger OLED screen is more impactful to more people than the DSi/New 3DS-style SoC enhancement we were all expecting would have been.

“Night and day” is right. If you’re a handheld gamer, it’s a no-brainer.
Totally agree. Back in the day I upgraded from DS to DSi XL and from 3DS to New 3DS XL, and the upgrade from my launch switch to the OLED was a much more meaningful change. Just the bigger screen (the launch screen was big enough but those borders were a bit distracting, I love that the OLED's body is almost all screen) and the OLED felt almost as a generational upgrade. Then I got also much better sound, a much better kickstand, more storage, a MUCH BETTER battery life (it was the only weak point of the launch model to me) and a much more premium feeling. Even the dock feels much better to put the machine into.

I was much more interested in testing every game I own on the OLED than I was when I got the new 3DS XL.

I hope the next Switch is Oled, I want to buy it day one.

My PSVita was oled, and at the time looked better than any other screen I had seen. I have a lg c9 (xbox series x) and a lg c1 (ps5, xbox series s) and a samsung galaxy s23 (oled). They all look so much better than the Switch Lite and pc screens we have. I love that black and the colours.

Back
Top Bottom