• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion How much do you like 'The Holidays'

• Thread starter Deleted member 2670
  • Start date

Do you like the Holidays?

• Egg Nog to the VEINS

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Christmas Music is good, actually......

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • I like the day of.. but

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Suffer in silence

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • BURN THE FUCKING TREE AND IMPRISON THE SHELF ELF

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 2670

So.... the 'Holiday Season', do you actually like it???

NOTE ON CHRISTMAS SEASON- Why not just say Christmas? Well, Christmas is really only one day, maybe two. Christmas parties at work, family gatherings, Black Friday, spending $$, etc etc, people who are not Christian etc... There is no war on Christmas and I'm good with Happy Holidays, in fact I prefer it. Also, New Years is innocent and awesome.

I'm at the "Suffer in Silence" level. I dropped my Holiday spirit sometime around my second year of college. I do not personally decorate nor consume any 'Holiday' media. I'm reaching out to let people know that I do not need nor expect gifts, as I have no space for anything really. (The joy of living in the NYC area, sometimes all you can afford is a studio shoebox) No carols, no looking at decorations. I still somewhat enjoy the day of Christmas, but only for the same reasons I love Thanksgiving. Family and food is king. I hate how the Holiday season just rewards the worst behavior in public and dealing with the hypocrisy that is so in your face at all times. Its a season of $$ and nothing else.

Some of my issues with the season would be resolved if I had children and I would of course make their Christmases the best they could be. They're innocent, they don't have to deal with a stupid gift from a work client who told you to get bent the last time they spoke to you over the phone and the empty hollow that opens up from gestures like that. (Just the weirdest situation with that dude) Like when the fuck were we supposed to accept society wide lying and gaslighting with a smile?

So long story short, Nephews will get big gifts and their Uncle in a Santa hat, GF will get some Holiday related activites that she likes and I will attempt to ignore the rest of the season until next year!

I have 3 kids, 2 of christmas-is-da-best-age so yeah I kinda have to like the holiday season - But uI do! Mostly because of the kids ofc, but I always enjoyed the mood. and days off obviously. I dont mind calling it holidays if I know I am with people who dont celebrate, but everyone I know IRL celebrate it so we're sticking with it, at least for now.

Also, we've got 4 days of Christmas here :>

I have 3 kids, 2 of christmas-is-da-best-age so yeah I kinda have to like the holiday season - But uI do! Mostly because of the kids ofc, but I always enjoyed the mood. and days off obviously. I dont mind calling it holidays if I know I am with people who dont celebrate, but everyone I know IRL celebrate it so we're sticking with it, at least for now.

Also, we've got 4 days of Christmas here :>
Lucky to get a day of Christmas here in the United States of Workism. Another reason I've soured on it as I hit the workplace, I'm often covering/the person in the office. Don't get it wrong, I'm better off saving those days for when its warm and the winter blues aren't hitting but it chaffs a bit hearing/seeing people humble brag about 'signing off for the year' a couple days before x mas. Who does get to take off/can actually celebrate the holidays proper is a zero sum game, like your magical Christmas is made possible off the labor and lack of Christmas by the lower classes. (Not you Mbolibombo, or more accurately, not just you, hell, I always get the day of Christmas off and I'm shoving that in the face of a gas station worker if I show up for gas that day, which is something I've done.)

I enjoy having a somewhat organized excuse to exchange presents and the such with friends (and some family members), but that's about as far as it goes. The day(s) of is the worst part honestly, there's too much noise and too much people and I always end up really exhausted. Everything else I don't really feel anything about (other than Christmas music, which I actively dislike, I'm not even sure why but it drives me nuts) so I'm usually pretty detached, but if someone is into the decorations or whatnot I enjoy helping them out just to see them have a good time.

I kinda like it but also kinda hate it. In short, holidays are a land of contrasts.

Maybe there is something lost in cultural translation, is that meant to be a parody of Christmas lovers who gang up on people who have reservations about the holiday through genuine sentiment?

Because that's what keeps me from saying anything to anyone IRL about how I feel about this Holiday. Christmas lovers jump down your fucking throat the moment you say anything. Truly annoying and why I put the "suffer in silence' option up.

Both the area where I grew up and the area I live now are Jewish enough that it's kept to ignorable levels, although the town in which I went to college had Christmas music blaring from speakers on the streets. Bleh.

My family doesn't do much for Hannukah, though I usually do try to see them during December. I end booking flights for the 25th most years just because it's usually the cheapest option, although this year it's for the 24th. Haven't yet decided which movie I'll see.

Christmas begins on November 1st and continues until December 25th (Christmas Day)

From the first day of November my Christmas mode is activated

644462752336707595.gif
644462752336707595.gif
644462752336707595.gif
644462752336707595.gif
644462752336707595.gif
644462752336707595.gif

I like it! I get to listen to a bunch of christmasy jazz, hang out with family, be cozy, and I get two paid weeks off. It’s good stuff.

I didn’t enjoy it much in my 20s, but now in my 40s with a kid I like it much more. The excitement is infectious, and spending a week off with my immediate family, goodwill and good food works for me.

Christmas begins on November 1st and continues until December 25th (Christmas Day)

From the first day of November my Christmas mode is activated

644462752336707595.gif
644462752336707595.gif
644462752336707595.gif
644462752336707595.gif
644462752336707595.gif
644462752336707595.gif
Boo hiss

'Santa got run over by Amazon delivery truck....'

I generally look forward to it / like it during the actual holiday time. I like having an extra excuse to hang out with family and friends and in particular give out gifts, but I feel if I was living totally alone there’s not a lot I would do special otherwise if that makes sense. Like I probably wouldn’t put up my own tree / decorations, enjoy holiday media, or make / have anything too special. So I like and treasure/make the most of them, I’m just not terribly attached to it either I guess? Weird relationship lol.

Thanksgiving through first two weeks of December is usually insanely busy for me, but the last two weeks are totally free from work and then I get gifts from my family who goes hard on this stuff. Plus I get to spend a shit ton (more than I should lmao) getting cool stuff for my family and friends.

I also bump the Pokémon Christmas bash and play Christmas NiGHTS. It's a good time for me

The Holidays are winning, 14-3.

Its nice to see that most of you enjoy the Holidays. And no, not being sarcastic. There is enough bad in the world.

However, I would like to humbly propose that we imprison the North Pole's spies, these so called, 'Elves on the Shelves'.

These spies have been given far too much influence over our youth and who knows what they are reporting back regarding the advancement of our video game systems. I've got Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony on board, ready to send in their capture drones to catch these interlopers as they fly back to the north pole each night. They like to protect their trade secrets.... No word from Apple, interestingly enough.

3e682e9a62ae059c34b62bc70df8ebb7--naughty-elf-shelf-ideas.jpg

If the north pole wants them back, they need to trade. I suggest that ask for no less than a sample of Santa's magic flying power. I know Taylor swift would like it, no more pesky articles about her private jet usage if they instead run on clean old fashion magic

Any backers?

No, I mean maybe. I don't really know when the movie takes place.
Like, remember the scene when they had a years worth of sex things themed to the Holidays... I think flag day was there...

Could be wrong tho.

I don't care for it but food and booze helps.

Plus I have young nieces and nephews. I'm not so much of a grinch that I would be an ass about Christmas in front of them.

This is my first year celebrating Christmas with a little one. Even though he’s too young to know what’s going on, it’s inspired us to get our very first tree. My wife’s favorite book growing up was called Pagan Christmas, and she’s always reminding me deep, chthonic and sometimes uncanny origins of our current traditions. There is indeed something powerful and strange about hauling a living tree into your house and turning it into a tinseled shrine.

I’ve always liked the lead up to Christmas - the music, the decorations, everything. Much of how we celebrate is corporate as hell, but there’s enough to appeal to the imagination that sometimes you can find some real magic.

Growing up, the day itself was always my least favorite part. I like getting presents as much as the next person, but there’s something sad about our attempts to communicate love through mass produced objects. And I always tired of the performative joy, even though I really was grateful.

Recently my wife and I were discussing whether or not we should raise our child to have a belief in Santa Claus. At first I was all “of course!” But then she asked, on what other occasions would you consider inculcating your child with a systematic fiction? I had a number of cynical answers to that question but overall took her point. I think we will just approach it in the spirit of collective play and see what happens.

Despite my overall affection for the season, I will now link to my favorite Christmas song — “Thank God it’s not Christmas” by Sparks!

Thank God it’s not Christmas

Pre pandemic was pretty good.

Then during pandemic (2020, 2021) they became in an ongoing source of stress and sadness and tons of trauma. Personally I was not looking forward to the holidays this year, but it seems things have calm down a little...but still.

One of the only 2 good things during these 2 past years is that my baby was born on Jan 5th, 2021, but because of the pandemic the joy was tarnished by the stress as well, end then some days later, we got COVID anyway.

Better said, I will tell you in a month or so.....

Egg Nog into my veins, baked goods from grandma, Trans-Siberian Orchestra concerts are tradition when they come to town, all the neighbourhood light shows.

Could not give two shits about gifts, though. I'm terrible with guessing what people want, and if people want to give me gifts I'd rather just have like one or two sizeable gifts from people pitching in rather than a bunch of tiny little things. Honestly I wish it was more socially acceptable for someone to ask if a bill could be paid off if anything.

Annnddd right on schedule, I officially hate this time of year. Just so everyone understands, its Toxic Positivity getting to me. Nothing activates my rage, hatred and resentment then toxic positivity.

Edit: TMI screed removed lol.

I’ve become more of a Scrooge than I care to admit. I find it all very stressful but I think it’s def more of a personal thing. Trying to get more into the spirit this year though.

I only found it stressful because malls or food stores are packed even when you need something simple. Some milk? better be ready to wait 20+ minutes in line.

Other than that, the pandemic made it more relaxing in my case, no more worries about having to drive 1+ hour outside the city to meet the whole family, no more picking the aunt in the airport who decided to travel on the 24th. These past 2 years even my parents have been ordering those christmas frozen dinners, just ready to put in the oven as they don't neet to prepare food for 10+ people now.

I’ve become more of a Scrooge than I care to admit. I find it all very stressful but I think it’s def more of a personal thing. Trying to get more into the spirit this year though.

For me the stress is only half.
The other half is that the world is such an ugly and nasty place and humanity really only excels at being cruel to one another. Shoving peace and goodwill to men in my face with the decorations and music sends me down some very dark holes.

Like, I love NPR, so this isn't really a knock on them exclusively but today I heard a news story about women and girls in Afghanistan being taken out of school by gunpoint bc the Talibans head asshole decided no education for women/girls. Next story, and I'm not fucking kidding, was about a reporter visiting the mall and having her dog get a picture with Santa... (Yes they did mention the money grubbing part of it) but like what in the fuck.... I hear those two stories and I can see which is the genuine expression of humanity and which one is cynical money grabbing guised up because of the date on the calendar...

My kid has special needs, hates when groups of people are talking and is massively disrupted by any routine change, like a week long break from school! So I spend most of the holidays pretty stressed out these days to be honest lol. Just doesn’t really work for my family and I. But we’re gonna try and make the most of it!

Looking forward to sinking some extra time into V I S U A L G A M E S, that’s for sure.

My kid has special needs, hates when groups of people are talking and is massively disrupted by any routine change, like a week long break from school! So I spend most of the holidays pretty stressed out these days to be honest lol. Just doesn’t really work for my family and I. But we’re gonna try and make the most of it!

Looking forward to sinking some extra time into V I S U A L G A M E S, that’s for sure.
Another part I don't care for. My nephew is Autistic and although he is ok with small family gatherings, it can be a hard time. So many messages and pressure for "normal" holiday activities and family presentation. It's a bit cruel but honestly, to me, it's a season of cruelty.

Eh.

Cooled off on them a while ago. I still enjoy family traditions like a roast on Christmas Day and smoked trout on Eve and boatloads of cookies, maybe watching a season-appropriate film or TV short... but I'm mostly over the hustle and the noise, especially in these days of Corona.

I get days off so a whole lot.
I'm lucky to get this coming Monday off, as so many have to work or get nothing off. I've been there and it sucks. In America, any time off is a privilege, especially paid.

Still annoying as all fuck being the only person working between Christmas and New Years, especially as work speeds up and so many fucking people "sign off" for the year before Christmas. Fuck us without PTO or seniority I guess. I feel like telling them , "Your joy is on the backs of others suffering" but that's kinda redundant, as that's always the case. Just we usually don't lie to each other and ourselves about it.

Yes I m a bitter and negative person at times lol.

Also: my whole family is sick right now! Thankfully it's not Covid, but my mind has been fogged during the crucial "try and remember any important, last-minute things" period of the holidays.

This is like the sister thread to the one about hating Fridays and that just makes me like it even more

Also: my whole family is sick right now! Thankfully it's not Covid, but my mind has been fogged during the crucial "try and remember any important, last-minute things" period of the holidays.

This is like the sister thread to the one about hating Fridays and that just makes me like it even more
This coming Friday is gonna be brutal for me.

Hoping that my whole family is ok at least the day of. It's so up in the air atm.... I'm inspecting every sniffle and tickle in my throat this whole week... And I've essentially written off new years at this point, even though it's my winter holiday of choice... Just depressing as fuck. Don't worry, I won't be missing a single day of work tho.

Hope you and your family feel better asap.

I love 'em.

But I'm not married to 'em.

In fact:

I wish there were more things "to do" during the Holidays besides receive gifts and go to parties.

I wish there were more things "to do" during the Holidays besides receive gifts and go to parties.

I wish they'd stop releasing the Holidays in a half-finished state. Holidays need an achievement system at the very least tbh

I wish they'd stop releasing the Holidays in a half-finished state. Holidays need an achievement system at the very least tbh
Frankly though?

"Lots of activities to do" and, hell, even "to-do lists" or bucket lists is just how I roll.

I like going on little quests or doing various activities.

I'm not saying you can't with the Holidays, but I just wish such things easily presented themselves.

But, eh, it's fine. I'll come up with something by next year; I was more focused on other things this year anyway.

Back
Top Bottom