• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion How can Nintendo top the Switch Pro Controller?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4629
  • Start date
Not sure why people want analog triggers, not like there will be many games on Switch 2 that would use them anyway.
You should play some PS5 games on a Dualsense, the adaptive triggers are brilliant, I see no reason whatsoever why they couldn't be used to great effect with nintendo games. Could see Metroid Prime 4 and next-gen Mario Kart being very obvious examples.

Here's how often it's used with PS5 games:

You should play some PS5 games on a Dualsense, the adaptive triggers are brilliant, I see no reason whatsoever why they couldn't be used to great effect with nintendo games. Could see Metroid Prime 4 and next-gen Mario Kart being very obvious examples.

Here's how often it's used with PS5 games:
You can play all these games on PC without adaptive triggers but that wasn't really the question

The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is often regarded as one of the best controllers Nintendo has ever released. And for good reason! The layout of the sticks and buttons, the ergonomics, the quality and the battery life all contribute to the Pro Controller really feeling like...Well...A pro controller! But alas, all good things must come to an end eventually, and just like the previous iterations, the Switch's Pro Controller shall eventually be discarded and replaced with a new one when Nintendo's next system arrives. So, how can Nintendo improve upon the Switch's Pro Controller to make the next version even better?

Please share your thoughts!
Good D-Pad, analogue triggers (hopefully switch 2 has them)

EDIT: Wait people are asking for symmetrical analogue sticks? ewwwww

Last edited:
Yes but they play better with adaptive triggers, you “can play” any game with digital triggers, doesn’t negate the improvement with analogue triggers for certain games.
What are you even talking about? Why bring up adaptive triggers in the first place? It's not the same technology as analogue triggers.

I could ask you the same thing.
I’ll keep it simple : adaptive triggers are great and used to great effect in plenty of games. I’d love to see them on next Switch Pro controller.
Bringing up adaptive triggers when I specifically asked about analogue triggers is like me asking why people like grape juice and trying to convince me of how tasty wine is. Great, I guess? It's not like that tech is gonna be built into a handheld.

This is getting out of hand, guys.

You can't have adaptive triggers without analog triggers. Period. You need a long press for the haptics to have some worth.

So both technologies must coexist.

That said, i would love that. Returnal is the best adaptive trigger demo there is in the PS5 library, and through DSX and DS4Windows on PC you can enable some delicious adaptive trigger fuckery. You can, literally, set up hair trigger press through the adaptive trigger technology. It would be the best of both worlds.

Now, would it be worth it?

Dualsense controllers are already 70 € while making huge concessions in build quality and QC. Stick durability is close to Joycon's, trigger fragility was just recently solved, the controller "armor" is a dirt magnet. I can't see Nintendo asking less than 75 € for an adaptive trigger equiped procon.

You can't have adaptive triggers without analog triggers. Period. You need a long press for the haptics to have some worth.

Again, that was never the question. When people say analogue triggers they generally don't mean adaptive triggers unless they specify it.

That said, i would love that. Returnal is the best adaptive trigger demo there is in the PS5 library, and through DSX and DS4Windows on PC you can enable some delicious adaptive trigger fuckery. You can, literally, set up hair trigger press through the adaptive trigger technology. It would be the best of both worlds.

Now, would it be worth it?

Dualsense controllers are already 70 € while making huge concessions in build quality and QC. Stick durability is close to Joycon's, trigger fragility was just recently solved, the controller "armor" is a dirt magnet. I can't see Nintendo asking less than 75 € for an adaptive trigger equiped procon.
No reason IMO why they couldn't have one at 70, the current one is overpriced at 65 as it's all pretty old tech compared to dual sense. FWIW I have zero issues with the the dualsense sticks, triggers etc.

No reason IMO why they couldn't have one at 70, the current one is overpriced at 65 as it's all pretty old tech compared to dual sense. FWIW I have zero issues with the the dualsense sticks, triggers etc.
Dualsense is more recent overall either way.

Remember that the Wii U pro was priced at 50 €, and was an empty husk with no gyro and rumble motors feeling strangely detached from the case. Nintendo has a tendency to overprice their controllers, wich is what i'm taking in account here.

I have no issue with my Dualsense either, but word of mouth about its durability is strong, and i use it both on PS5 and PC so i'm afraid wear and tear will be faster than usual.

That said, i don't think the procon is actually overpriced. It's a 7 yo controller so of course certain components are old and weaker than the Dualsense's, but it's a high quality controller that in six years (i bought my Switch on year two) with some basic maintenance hasn't given me any issue. Also, props to Nintendo for not using any bullshit on the controller case. It's very easy to open, clean and repair.

Again, that was never the question. When people say analogue triggers they generally don't mean adaptive triggers unless they specify it.
I probably misunderstood the whole argument. Sorry.

The problem with the Dualsense's adaptive triggers is that you need a ton of space for them:

DualSense-adaptive-trigger-teardown-2.jpg

Have fun fitting those into a joycon(-equivalent) housing unless they radically downsize the components which I don't really see happening. They'd basically relegate those to a secondary controller that you don't get out of the box which always works great for support /s. I guess the one benefit here would be that since there's already a controller with adaptive triggers on the market developers could just port the functionality over but we saw how great that worked with gyro on the PS3. It was inconsistent at best.

Yeah the controller will need to support whatever is in the joy con.

I would just love them to replace the buttons under the sticks with paddles on the back.

Adaptive triggers do feel like the kind of gimmick Nintendo would be into, but yeah, it absolutely depends on if R&D can manage to squeeze that into the next iteration of Joy-Con, which doesn't seem all that likely.

Fix D pad would be my biggest ask

Leave the stupid LEDs and other nonsense out. I know some people like glowing controllers but I like that long battery life

I'm worried my SSBU pro controller is starting to drift. Hall effect joysticks are an absolute must.

Improved D-Pad I'm sure will be on their checklist; they've nailed it several times before so I'm sure this was just a rare miss this console generation.

Headphone jack would be handy, but realistically I'd rather they save the money and put it towards licensing the AptX Bluetooth 5.1 codec so I can use my wireless headsets without having to use an adapter dongle because the free SBC codec currently in use is dogshit with the latency it has. Tried it once, never again

For the love of God being back analog triggers, specifically the GC triggers where they wrapped around your finger to lock it in place so it can't slide off like on Xbox or Dualsense. They're notorious for that in my experience. The digital click at the end is also extremely satisfying (both in feeling and sound)

Selfishly, also bring back the GC face buttons too. Each button had a distinct shape so that they all didn't feel the same, even now I still have a little difficulty with which one is Y and which is X if I don't look down at the controller itself to know what to press.

While i havent owned a Ultimate controller, a friend lended it to me so i could decide if i would get one. In all honesty i'm still on the fence about it, and one of the reasons are the D-pad.

I'm not a FG nut, but i LOVE my retro FGs and neither the SN30 lineup not the Ultimate pass the Neo Geo test, diagonals are too loose, the D-pad behaves too similarly to the procon.

I can reply to the rest but honestly our views are basically opposite. I value rumble feedback way more than back buttons and profiles are too cumbersome to set up overall. I wont deny that back buttons are an amazing QoL feature, but in the first party controller space has been relegated to the premium tier and honestly, i've had too many accidental presses to my taste.

It's good that there's competition and hopefully Nintendo learns the right lessons from it, but as of now i think 8bitdo is better as a retro focused manufacturer

Late reply but I understand where you're coming from. I'm not super sensitive to the dpads for the couple I do have (though I think the SN30 Pro Plus 2 may have more of a QA lottery compared to the Pro Plus) but they're better than the Switch pro controller dpads. I've had pretty great success with the SF 30th anniversary collection and Garou MOTW but I guess I am just lucky lol.

HD rumble is pretty good but I feel like it's taken a backseat to a lot of releases overall. Maybe it's also because the Dualsense haptic motors for the PS5 are better tech but yeah, I haven't missed it a ton when playing docked. I do still use joycons in handheld so I do get to enjoy the HD rumble there.

Hopefully Switch 2 pro controllers are indeed an improvement in every way to the current ones.

Maybe it's also because the Dualsense haptic motors for the PS5 are better tech
They're actually the same. The Dualsense's actuators are more recent and stronger, but the tech is the same.

Actually, regarding merely rumble haptics, the Dualsense is having the same issue Nintendo has: Not many developers are taking advantage of it. I keep downloading and testing PS5 games and not many make a meaningful use of the rumble (wich, actually, is the crux of almost all rumble feedback since the rumble pak, but feels like a genuine waste this gen) And of course none of them reach the levels of their respective tech demos (1 2 Switch and Astrobot)

The triggers are another thing entirely, they're easy to take advantage of and completely change the experience on shooters. Returnal making playable use of a simulated dual stage trigger is golden.

Going back to the D-pad, in the end it must be either luck or preferences, in all honesty your experiences are as valid as mine and i don't think it's worth to argue them further. In any case, we all want better D-pads.

On that note, i'm super hyped for 8bitdo's Neo Geo CD controller. Waiting for it to be oficially listed on Amazon ES to order one alongside the Bluetooth Adapter 2 (after a firm update you can use it to connect the Neo Geo controller to the Switch) Apparently, the microswitched stick is pure FIRE.
Not sure why people want analog triggers, not like there will be many games on Switch 2 that would use them anyway.
Also, i forgot to reply to this, and as an usual digital trigger advocate i feel in the need to answer

• First, Switch has the best and most varied racing library on a Nintendo console in a very long time, nice amount of rally games too. Most of them aren't really balanced around digital triggers though, so they're inferior versions. Making analog triggers the primary option would help a lot with that.
  • Second, there are more series that use them, famously Ace Combat for example.
  • And third, Nintendo would use them for sure. They did on Gamecube and we got the best water mechanics to date. Also, i can see them using them on Splatoon, Starfox and, more importantly, Mario Kart. Analog trigger Mario Kart could be a very different beast.
  • And of course there's the extra of input parity. That helps a lot getting full fledged ports.

Also, i forgot to reply to this, and as an usual digital trigger advocate i feel in the need to answer

• First, Switch has the best and most varied racing library on a Nintendo console in a very long time, nice amount of rally games too. Most of them aren't really balanced around digital triggers though, so they're inferior versions. Making analog triggers the primary option would help a lot with that.
That's fair. In most other genres they're either not useful or actively detrimental. I personally don't think it's worth the tradeoff.
  • Second, there are more series that use them, famously Ace Combat for example.
Bandai Namco has been extremely reluctant to put any of their internally developed games onto the Switch unless they were funded/published by Nintendo/TPC. There's currently no indication that this will change any time soon.
  • And third, Nintendo would use them for sure. They did on Gamecube and we got the best water mechanics to date. Also, i can see them using them on Splatoon, Starfox and, more importantly, Mario Kart. Analog trigger Mario Kart could be a very different beast.
Doubtful, history doesn't really support this. The GameCube was three console generations ago and Nintendo had ample opportunity to add analogue triggers to any of their controllers yet they didn't. If they wanted to use them again, their controllers would have them. Hell, even the features they add to a system (HD rumble, the touchscreen) are often underutilized.

I would actually enjoy something like a touch- or trackpad, though it'd need to be on the joy-con too for it to have widespread usage in games.

Headphone jack and non-shitty D-Pad are imperative. Just copy Series X’s D-Pad, it’s fantastic. Analog triggers would be nice but not a big deal either way. The last analog triggers Nintendo did were the Wii Classic Controller and those were pretty terrible so I wouldn’t expect something as good as the Dualsense triggers here. I’d also like some contacts for easy charging w/ a docking station.

Last edited:
Re: Analog vs. digital triggers, I agree that the addition of analog triggers is not really beneficial regarding Nintendo's own first party games. Mario Kart uses A for acceleration, not triggers, and the only application I can see useful for Splatoon is with the Squeezer. Even then, I would say that the benefit of digital triggers in Splatoon would be counteracted by the worse feeling of shooting that an analog trigger would provide.

Personally, I'm a believer in the still-hypothetical pressure sensitive digital triggers, to allow greater input precision for games that benefit from it while not sacrificing input speed/feel.

I would like more buttons. I think a layout of 6 buttons instead of 4 would great. Actually, it wouldn't be new. The N64 controller had A B and 4 more for the camera. But in Zelda wasn't used for controlling the camera, and same for others games like Banjo-Kazooie.

This layout would be the same as the gamepad from Megadrive.

Back
Top Bottom