• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion How can Nintendo top the Switch Pro Controller?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4629
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4629

The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is often regarded as one of the best controllers Nintendo has ever released. And for good reason! The layout of the sticks and buttons, the ergonomics, the quality and the battery life all contribute to the Pro Controller really feeling like...Well...A pro controller! But alas, all good things must come to an end eventually, and just like the previous iterations, the Switch's Pro Controller shall eventually be discarded and replaced with a new one when Nintendo's next system arrives. So, how can Nintendo improve upon the Switch's Pro Controller to make the next version even better?

Please share your thoughts!

A better d-pad. The one on the pro is horrible. Seriously. Everyone who plays Tetris or fighting games knows what I'm talking about.

Since the Wii U they got the batterylife perfected though. I have the Switch day one but I rarely have to power up my controller. Not joking, it really feels like wizardry to me compared with battery life of PS or XBOX controllers.

Last edited:
A better D-pad would be nice.

On a more personal level, id like to go back to the gamecube's face button layout.

Those face buttons are just so perfect in how your finger can just glide over them in a rhythm.

Yup, if you enabled Wired Controller Communication in the settings there's more input lag. Especially noticeable in games that use gyro like Splatoon.
Wtf?? I never noticed that tbh... Why is that? This makes no sense at all lmao

A better d-pad. The one on the pro is horrible. Seriously. Everyone who plays Tetris or fighting games knows what I'm talking about.

Since the Wii U they got the batterylife perfected though. I have the Switch day one but I rarely have to power up my controller. Not joking, it really feels like wizardry to me compared with battery life of PS or XBOX controllers.

Yeah the battery life is crazy. I’ll have them sit on my tv stand unplugged for a month and a half while I only play handheld and they still have good charge.

I think they should work on upgrading the joy-cons to get them closer to the current pro controller.

The pro controller is better than the joycons but it's still shit. Inconsistent doad with phantom down inputs and stick drift

A better d-pad and hall effect sticks. I haven’t had any issues with mine for over three years since I opened it up, cleaned and did the tape fix for the d-pad but I shouldn’t have to do that.

Back paddle buttons, better D-Pad, headphone jack, more colour options, and more textured grips on the handles

honestly just let me use an Xbox controller hahaha

Better d-pad, hall effect sticks, and just a tad wider please 😅

I know my answer's boring but it's honest

1. Hall effect sensing analog sticks.
  2. A better D-pad from the company that created D-pads.
  3. A speaker like on the Wii Remote but a good sounding speaker unlike the Wii Remote.
  4. Digital click shoulder buttons like on GameCube.
  5. Move and maybe recess both the menu and screenshot buttons to reduce accidental presses.
  6. Textured prongs.
  7. Headset jack because the successor should definitely have system integrated voice chat.

Hall effect sticks, analog triggers, back buttons.

Also, this is less a pro controller thing and more an across the board thing, but bring back multicolored face buttons. Mostly I just prefer it from an aesthetic standpoint, but also I find it's a lot easier to say "hit the blue button" than "hit the X button" (for example) when playing games with the non-gamers or more casual gamers in my life; would also make it simpler to explain controls when using single joycons, since turned sideways it's really hard to explain what button does what.

e: oh, also, octagonal rings around the control sticks

Last edited:
Better D-pad, Better Sticks, Swapable face & back plates, Headphone jack, They can split in half and be attached to the sides of a switch, maybe some back buttons, a decent quality speaker

Literally recreate the Wii U Pro controller, and add all the necessary Switch specific features. But keep the sticks, the Dpad, and the form factor the same.

It is probably the single best controller Nintendo ever designed. Yes, better than the GameCube controller.

Add an actual good dpad, and also actual proper triggers

Everything else they can leave as is, it's dangerously close to the perfect controller already

The real question is how can they top the Dualsense

And the real answer is they can't!
God I hope they add DualSense style haptics to the next controller. Call it 4K Rumble!

EDIT: Yeah, headphone jack as well

Last edited:
Hall effect sticks, analog triggers, back buttons.

Also, this is less a pro controller thing and more an across the board thing, but bring back multicolored face buttons. Mostly I just prefer it from an aesthetic standpoint, but also I find it's a lot easier to say "hit the blue button" than "hit the X button" (for example) when playing games with the non-gamers or more casual gamers in my life; would also make it simpler to explain controls when using single joycons, since turned sideways it's really hard to explain what button does what.

e: oh, also, octagonal rings around the control sticks
That helps with games that use it on a 2d plane as if it was a dpad with pressure sensitivity ...

But for most 3d games it's a downside. I would be against it. You're essentially reducing the 2-300 (it doesn't do 360 real integer angles, or is it that fine?) Angles you can have to 8.

But 100% on the colored face buttons thing. More fun tom

Headphone jack and a better D-Pad. That's all I need. Make the D-Pad clicky if you must, like the 3DS!

Analog triggers is nice for racing games but I don't really like them for any other type of games. And I don't expect anything like the DualSense Edge's capabilities to basically turn them into digital triggers.

The d pad is trash. It's basically unusable in games that require precision, like Celeste.

Why can't everyone just rip off the sega saturn d-pad? Does Sega still own rights to ancient controller hardware?
Part of the reason why the Saturn d-pad works so well is its large size. This is fine on specialty controllers designed to play 2D games, but the d-pad has been relegated to one of the least important input methods on modern controllers and has to remain fairly unobtrusive as a result. I suspect this is why Microsoft designed their own smaller take on a disc-shaped d-pad on the Series controllers.

Analog triggers is nice for racing games but I don't really like them for any other type of games. And I don't expect anything like the DualSense Edge's capabilities to basically turn them into digital triggers.
This is where I'm at as well. Analog triggers are worse than digital triggers for everything but racing games. Since Nintendo are unlikely to add trigger stops to their controllers, I'd rather they keep digital triggers on their next controller.

Last edited:
Solve the drifting issue.

Seriously, I bought my first Pro Controller because my JoyCons started drifting so much they became useless. And a little while later that Pro Controller went the same way. Now I'm on my second one and although it's fine, it's already starting to show some worrying sings that it might end up drifting like crazy as well.

Only thing they'd have to do is slap Nintendo-stickers on a bunch of 8bitdo Ultimate Controllers
This is probably Blasphemous II say, but I got two 8bitdo controllers and ended up replacing / not using either of them. An SN30 Pro, which broke fairly quickly (to be fair my controllers fall a lot, but it's the only one I can remember breaking on me), and an SN30 Pro Plus, which was good but not as good as the Dualsense. They're a great third party controller, almost first party tier, but not quite there. Above the Switch Pro for 2D games, but not on the level of a Dualsense for just about anything.

It’s nearly perfect imo. Just needs:
1. Slightly better dpad
2. Headphone jack
3. Analog triggers

That’s it. That’s the perfect controller.

This is probably Blasphemous II say, but I got two 8bitdo controllers and ended up replacing / not using either of them. An SN30 Pro, which broke fairly quickly (to be fair my controllers fall a lot, but it's the only one I can remember breaking on me), and an SN30 Pro Plus, which was good but not as good as the Dualsense. They're a great third party controller, almost first party tier, but not quite there. Above the Switch Pro for 2D games, but not on the level of a Dualsense for just about anything.
I'm not a big fan of 8bitdo controllers aside from the M30, but the DualSense has one of the most uncomfortable d-pads I've used. Don't understand why they ditched the excellent DS4 d-pad.

I'm not a big fan of 8bitdo controllers aside from the M30, but the DualSense has one of the most uncomfortable d-pads I've used. Don't understand why they ditched the excellent DS4 d-pad.
That's fair. I've only had a Dualsense for less than a year and I haven't played that many 2D games on it, so maybe I'll eventually agree. I got used to the Dpad, though, from the 2D games I have played. It takes a bit more pressure than the Dualshock 4's, but otherwise I don't think it feels too different.

Revisit GameCube-style grooved triggers that slide straight into the controller, I've never liked how pressing the triggers felt on Switch. I can live with analog or no analog, long travel or short travel, but the current angled wedges just feel bad to use.

Back paddle buttons, better D-Pad, headphone jack, more colour options, and more textured grips on the handles

honestly just let me use an Xbox controller hahaha

All this but in the form factor of the WiiU controller please

I like the shape and heft of the controller as well as the feel of the grips and the sticks' tightness, but there's plenty to improve on. An accurate D-pad. Analog triggers. Satisfyingly clicky shoulder buttons like the Series controller. Less travel on all buttons. Hell, put clicky microswitches in the face buttons.

Last edited:
I didn’t like their older controllers either but the Ultimate is great. The Dualsense just feels bad to me, it’s possible that my friend was just unlucky and got one with shoddy build quality though.

Just the dpad, everything else is great as it is. Do we really need back paddle buttons and headphone jack?

Back
Top Bottom