• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion House of the Dead 2, Or: an examination single player replayability has changed over time (tangent warning)

souio

Moblin
Pronouns
he/him
I'm not sure if it's in the gaming boomer in me, but it's interesting how what constitutes "replay value" has changed for games.

Was playing House of the Dead 2 at a local arcade over the past few months and it made me realize how replaying games has changed. I really suck at this game/genre and I still can't make it past stage 2 on one credit, lol. Through my dozens (if not hundreds) of replays, it made me realize the importance of replay values in games back in the 90s. It hit me when I had to play through the first level for over the 100th time, then it hit me: it's still not getting boring! There are multiple paths which add replay value, but it also rewards player skills in that there are hidden items in certain parts of the destructible environment. First time through, you're focused on enemies charging at you; then as you learn to mow them down fast, there are other things to shoot as well which may contain extra score or health and still new tricks/secrets to discover each attempt.

This made me reflect on replayability these days. It made me realize that games need to have a lot of other things in them to be seen a "replayable". Whether it's multiple characters, various unlockables, roguelike elements where it's different every time, ranking systems, GAAS elements. It's funny how games have evolved to where we need the game to give us external incentives to replay them.

I was born in 1988 and my first console was the SNES. Back in those days, unless you were an RPG fan, you'd (or your parents would) be paying like 60 dollars for platformers/action games which essentially had hour long campaigns. Because of this, if I got something like Mega Man X, it would essentially be the only thing I'd be able to play, and I be playing it over and over again, beating it dozens, if not hundreds of times. The funny thing about it, though, was that it never got boring. Hell, it actually got more fun on replays because I would be dashing through and beating bosses like a badass as I got better and better at the mechanics each attempt. I'd notice little details about enemy placements and stage elements which led to new tricks that I had no idea of my first few attempts. It made me realize that, while these games would have 7-12 levels and short campaigns, that each of these individual stages were probably worked on for months to squeeze the most replayability out of them so that gamers could even discover new secrets/tricks decades down the line.

On the flipside, these days, rather than being stuck with an hour-long 60 dollar game, we now have sales and bundles where you can get like 300 hours worth of older RPGs/open world adventures for under 20 bucks! Backlogs are now a thing too (which I really need to get to, admittedly and grows 5 games for each single game I play, lol), and I feel like it shifted a lot of gaming from focusing on a single game for a long time, to beating games with the intention of moving onto the next, with the value and quality of the game being just from the time spent on the initial playthrough. In such a fast paced market of backlogs, sales, and stream of new releases (especially of 80+ hour behemoths), it can be difficult to really sink in, sit down, and appreciate single-sitting games that could be played multiple times.

HOTD2, and arcade games in general, break that trend. There are barely any unlockables (unless you count Console versions), there are no randomized levels or anything, the games are just replayable due to their mechanics alone, and the ways they reward you through the mastery of the game by adding extra fun tidbits like additional secrets if you're fast enough for score of even "wait I can do that???" moments that blow your mind 10 years after playing. It's refreshing to play games that, even without those extra incentives, are replayable just for the sake of being fun.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go complain that this game I paid 30 dollars for is only 6-8 hours long, despite being extremely fun.

Last edited:
Crikey, I played soooooo much HotD2 on Dreamcast back in 'the day'. We had a 50" Sony Trinitron set up in the flat's living room, with the DC and a Gamecube in rotation. Super Monkey Ball, Double Dash, HotD 2, they were some hazy days (in more ways than one).

we had plenty hotd1 and hotd2 arcades here back in the day but now they're nowhere to be seen
i also found a hotd3 arcade here at some point but ended up not playing because i was stupid and didn't know it wouldn't last long there
i wish i could go back...

Ironically, as games pile on more and more content I find them far less replayable. I love FFVII Rebirth, but I really doubt I'll ever play it again once I've rolled credits. On the flip side, I've played Super Metroid (a 3-ish hour experience once you know what you're doing, if not shorter) a couple dozen times and still find myself going back.

I'm with you: It is a testament to their design that games like HOTD2 were engaging no matter how many times you replayed the first 1-2 levels. I think a lot of modern game players would be miserable if they were asked to replay 1-2 hours of a more recent release.

If I love a game, it’s replayable to me. While longer games can definitely be a deterrent, if it’s one of my favorites, I try to find time to replay it, even if it’s many years later. You can have a game that is “replayable” on a gameplay level but if I don’t jive with it as much it’s much less likely I revisit it.

It's definitely one of the most misunderstood parts of a game's value nowadays. So much of "replay value" is hung up on alternative choices for long campaigns that they totally miss out on "actually fun to do again." I can't tell you how many "replayable" games with branching paths and moral dilemmas I never replayed because it wasn't enjoyable to do so. This is even true for typically longer genres, with so many 100-hour RPGs that are meant to be replayed just not pulling me into the idea while I've replayed EarthBound, a 20-30 hour RPG, like, 20 times.

While not strictly single-player, I actually kind of wonder if this sentiment is growing in popularity and is part of why fighting games are seeing such a huge resurgence. They're pretty much the "fun first" arcade experience personified after all.

Ironically, as games pile on more and more content I find them far less replayable. I love FFVII Rebirth, but I really doubt I'll ever play it again once I've rolled credits. On the flip side, I've played Super Metroid (a 3-ish hour experience once you know what you're doing, if not shorter) a couple dozen times and still find myself going back.

I'm with you: It is a testament to their design that games like HOTD2 were engaging no matter how many times you replayed the first 1-2 levels. I think a lot of modern game players would be miserable if they were asked to replay 1-2 hours of a more recent release.
I was actually going to mention this game in the OP but it was already borderline tl;dr.

Replaying Super Metroid made me realize the GOAT that it was. My first time playing it, I thought the controls were clunky, the secrets were obtuse and the bosses were slightly cheap and I wondered what all the fuss was about. I decided to replay it shortly after beating it, and it was like a completely different game. With the controls mastered, I was zipping around the areas and knowing where a lot of powerups and obtuse spots were helped me flow through the game at a constant fast pace, and I had much more fun the second time through than the first time.

A lot of the classic GOATs were usually games that actually got better on the second playthrough !

I was actually going to mention this game in the OP but it was already borderline tl;dr.

Replaying Super Metroid made me realize the GOAT that it was. My first time playing it, I thought the controls were clunky, the secrets were obtuse and the bosses were slightly cheap and I wondered what all the fuss was about. I decided to replay it shortly after beating it, and it was like a completely different game. With the controls mastered, I was zipping around the areas and knowing where a lot of powerups and obtuse spots were helped me flow through the game at a constant fast pace, and I had much more fun the second time through than the first time.

A lot of the classic GOATs were usually games that actually got better on the second playthrough !
Whenever the SNES Classic came out, I booted up Super Metroid and played for three or so hours before realizing I did things in a weird order that made progression more complicated than I wanted. So I just deleted that file and did everything from scratch and had a blast. If that happened in most modern games I would sell it to Gamestop the next day.

And your OP was fine! It's a great topic, and it wasn't too long. Have you ever seen my threads? They call me Mr. Tl;dr.

i've never been a fan of playing games more than once personally so things are vastly better nowadays as far as i'm concerned

I also don't like reading books or watching movies etc more than once so it's not just games I feel that way about

Back
Top Bottom