• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour [Grubb] Dead Space 2 remake cancelled due to weak sales from Dead Space 1 Remake

Grubb's been shown multiple times to have solid sources about what's going on at EA. I'm inclined to think this is a case of Jeff saying something that is broadly true and EA latching onto one element of what he said that they can argue is technically incorrect "from a certain point of view" to try and cast the whole story into doubt

Like, Grubb said its sales were lackluster and I can totally see EA looking at some internal sales target it did meet and hanging their hat on that to justify saying the whole thing is bunk
Also worth noting that Grubb is the person who first leaked the Dead Space Remake. I think he has pretty good insight on what is happening at EA Motive!

I find it pretty hard to believe that there wasn't ideas behind a second game on the table. Especially because i being an "experiment" for Motive doesn't really make much sense. Yes games are made all the time to train people, but it felt pretty high budget and a lot of the expertise behind it is pretty specific to horror games.

That being said I didn't like the remake that much and haven't played 2, so I can't be that sad.

I wasn't really interested in a remake of the second one, despite enjoying it (though not as much as the original). This mainly has me worried about the future of the series in general.

can't believe I'm siding with EA but Grubb was just recently proven wrong before with stuff like knights of the Old Republic remake is being canceled (it still could be but hasn't), wind waker hd coming soon to switch, all the Times he predicted a date for prime remastered.

he's got good sources but he's no Midori, pyoro, or jason schreier

I don't doubt that she has heard what she has heard, but I do find it hard to believe that there was never even a hint of a plan for a sequel to a game that EA clearly pumped a lot of money into.

I also believe industry legend Kat Bailey when she says her source told her DS2 wasn’t in the cards. Now, do I believe her source? Don’t know.

In all honesty, I just took the chance to say "industry legend Kat Bailey" cause I like when they call her that on NVC podcast 😅

I don't doubt that she has heard what she has heard, but I do find it hard to believe that there was never even a hint of a plan for a sequel to a game that EA clearly pumped a lot of money into.
Sales were lackluster from the start. If it was a "wait for sales before greenlighting" situation then it would have never been canceled, just never started.

Odds are the truth is somewhere in the middle. Officially EA never planned to do a DS2R, some people at motion had very early thoughts of one that died when EA said "y'all are working on Battlefield & Marvel".

Well... Can we at least get the remastered re-releases 2 and 3? Probably on Switch too, they're just PS3 games anyway.

Actually happy enough with this. The Dead Space remake was fantastic, but I wasn't left wanting more at the end. I wouldn't have been interested in remakes of the two sequels, just like I wasn't interested in the sequels the first time around.

Take all that talent and make new games.

Dead Space 4 would have been nice.

In all honesty, I just took the chance to say "industry legend Kat Bailey" cause I like when they call her that on NVC podcast 😅
She absolutely is an industry legend. I have nothing but respect for Kat and all the work she’s done over the years and years I’ve followed her

I feel more inclined to believe Kat Bailey's reporting over Jeff. I think Jeff is a bit more loose and casual with his rumors, both in what he hears from people and what he reports to the general public. Most of his rumors are just things he says on a podcast and the occasional tweet. Someone like Kat is writing for a website and she has years of experience reporting on games. I would think her standards for verifying information and reporting it are higher.

That's not say I think Jeff is lying. I just think he is more willing to report any information he hears and doesn't do all of the fact checking you would expect of a normal journalist. I can believe that someone told him that "We were working on Dead Space 2 and some concept art" but then Kat digs some more digging and learns that it never went beyond an idea or a suggestion.

You can't cancel what was never in production in the first place. What you can do is cancel plans to begin production, even after people have started laying the groundwork for it. That's what I think happened; Jeff's right but EA's technically correct that it never existed.

I genuinely do not think there is a single publicly traded company that can be trusted to make decisions for the sake of fans. Literally every single one of them will, without fail, put their shareholders first. On that same note, if someone wanted to make a video game company for the sake of making good, interesting games, they should never ever ever EVER go public. The moment they do, they are always destined to have the end result grinding out Marvel schlock and COD-clones and free-to-play money-holes in the futile chase of neverending quarterly growth and shareholder value. You get a sudden influx of investment cash at cost of your creative soul. Capitalism and art are fundamentally incompatible.

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/NTDOY:OTCMKTS

I don't know how a RDJ-less ironman would do these days, for better or worse Iron-man has basically been defined by him, very different from multiple interpretations of Spider-Man

Probably an unpopular opinion but... no big loss for me.

The remake was alright but giving Isaac a voice kinda killed the vibe for me. Also always thought the first game was the best by a huge margin anyway, so not getting those remade is, again, no big loss to me 👀

I don't care much for remakes of widely available HD games either, ngl. Rather, knowing that Motive pitched a new entry and were put on Marvel duty instead is what really stings.

Last edited:
This game honestly sold surprisingly bad though. Probably still decently and enough to make a tiny profit but still. Like I get horror games are kinda niche and Dead Space isn't an RE nor as remembered as Silent Hill but iirc Callisto Protocol vastly outsold it in many regions. Pretty sad because Dead Space is a franchise worth having around.

Also the fact that it was going to be a new Dead Space 2 makes it even sadder. That would be really cool to see a creative take on the direction of the series.

I find it hard to believe in a world of increasing development costs, a sequel that could re-use a bunch of assets in a somewhat known IP (until it bombed) wasn't at least considered. But Jason's sources are generally iron tight. It's not impossible Grubb actually does know something Jason doesn't though but he sounds really childish.

Rip survival horror, you've only shrunk since the 360 despite Resi remakes doing well.

Seems like Jason's report proves Grubb half right and half wrong. He clearly has an inside source but mangled "they wanted a new Dead Space project but nothing really got started" into "Dead Space 2 remake was shelved," the latter making it out like it was a much more active project than it was. Dude struggles with either sensationalizing his info or not digging deep enough to verify the details, but regardless it's something he needs to work on.

EDIT: Changed around some language

Rip to Dead Space. You were a great remake, and get to have the honor of being the first game I ever worked on in any capacity.
This game honestly sold surprisingly bad though. Probably still decently and enough to make a tiny profit but still. Like I get horror games are kinda niche and Dead Space isn't an RE nor as remembered as Silent Hill but iirc Callisto Protocol vastly outsold it in many regions. Pretty sad because Dead Space is a franchise worth having around.
Doubly so since Callisto Protocol is pretty cruddy.

The main problem is that Dead Space/survival horror as a whole doesn't fit well in western publisher budgets for games like this. Budgets have been ballooning for ages and survival horror is a genre with a hard cap that lies well below the amount of money that goes into development of an AAA game. These games absolutely have an audience (if you want proof, look at how lasting the popularity of Signalis is even though the game is in its second year - and yes this is a recommendation to play Signalis, it's really good), but it's not within the ballpark of an AAA developer.

RE gets by mostly because Capcom uses Resident Evil as the cutting edge for RE Engine, which gives it leeway in terms of sales performance since its the foundation for their more popular titles (Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Dragons Dogma and the second Ace Attorney Trilogy all use it).

For a bit of an idea for the budget cap/what you can expect for a breakout game: Resident Evil 7 sold about 3 million at release, which was enough to recuperate all dev costs (quick math for 60 dollar copies means that the game made about 126 million post-platform cuts and pre-taxes/VAT) and it had a very strong long tail all the way in december causing it to sell ~12 million. I think you can consider that to be the market cap for survival horror games and I'll be honest, Dead Space doesn't come close to that... like ever.

Btw Callisto Protocol was also a complete financial failure; the game had a 5 million target (which really shows how inane the budgets are), later downadjusted to 2 million and it apparently wasn't even met, causing the publisher to eat crow.

--

That aside, I wouldn't be suprised if both EA and Grubb are probably right. The project was likely just never even considered because of poor sales figures, neither by Motive nor by EA; compared to Dead Space 1, remaking 2 is a far harder sell; you have sequel sales drops to deal with and 2 is still readily available on PC (as opposed to regular Dead Space which iirc got a bit rotting on PC due to software changes over the years). It's a bit annoying to see Grubb double down even when EA literally makes a public statement calling him out for being wrong though.

Either way, if this means we are NOT getting a Dead Space 2 Remake, then that sucks ALL kinds of crap -w-

Dead Space is one of my favorite games of all time, and the remake was fantastic. It is basically exactly what I want from a Horror/Shooter game.
Honestly, I wish the gaming industry could just agree to move back to like, the 360-quality games, or something. Back when you could get 3 games of the same series on the same console, instead of it taking 5-6 years between entries.
The visual quality and faster loadning times and all that jazz is nice but I think, ultimately, games have been worse since that general time. Things are SO expensive to make, so little risks is taken and so few of specific genres can survive cuz it all demands 'ultra high fidelity' or else it don't matter.
Bleh.
In the very LEAST release a up-ressed remaster of Dead Space 2 and 3 on PS5 in some way.

Back
Top Bottom