• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Grezzo urgently recruiting Unity engineers for original production

Oregano

Asano stan
Founder
Just saw that Grezzo has a blog post from Friday for urgent recruitment.

Key points:
  • Looking for Unity engineers specifically
  • Specified it's an original production(so not a port/remake)
  • Presumably the "Medieval" & "Stylish" game they were previously recruiting for.

Neat-o. I quite fancy Grezzo's work though I had some issues with their MM remake and Ever Oasis was one of my favourite 3DS games. Looking forward to whatever they're doing next.

I wonder if they’re still gonna do ports/remasters going forward. I have to imagine they will, it’d be relatively easy, well-paying work that’ll keep their pipelines moving in-between original works.

I'm sure it's a new 2D Zelda game.
Think about it, it's like Mercury Steam. They proved themselves with a remake and now are allowed to do an original game with Nintendo's guidance.

I still want Oracle remakes, but it will be nice to get an original game from them too.

I'm sure it's a new 2D Zelda game.
Think about it, it's like Mercury Steam. They proved themselves with a remake and now are allowed to do an original game with Nintendo's guidance.
It might be. They did co-develop Triforce Heroes, so there's already form for them working on a new Zelda title. Previously Grezzo haven't hid the fact they're working on Zelda though - their hiring calls for their Zelda projects pretty much gave the game away (usually asking for people to join a "legendary" project).
I wouldn't say no to either an original Zelda, Ever Oasis or new IP.
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned this is good news all round. More power and success to Grezzo, plz.

Tri Force Heroes and Ever Oasis were original production,i be more worried about good feel,i have the bad feeling they not working with nintendo anymore

Tri Force Heroes and Ever Oasis were original production,i be more worried about good feel,i have the bad feeling they not working with nintendo anymore
i wouldn't be worried, they basically said their main focus is still going to be making games for others, their new small games are more like side projects.

Nah, they specifically said contract work continues to be their main focus.

If it’s a Zelda remake (or even an original) I wouldn’t expect them to be recruiting specifically for Unity, I’d expect them to make use of the engine already in place from Link’s Awakening.

7722a1f2011dfd4d6cf2ffba434d07aa.gif

I'm guessing this has been at least in pre-production since Link's Awakening, based on the fact that quite a lot of Grezzo staff didn't work on Miitopia Switch.

Medeival doesn't really suit Ever Oasis, does it? That's more of an Egyptian setting. And as others have said, Zelda recruitment is usually noted by using "legend".

It’s the new 2D Zelda. we don’t want any more remakes or ports or remasters of 2D Zelda. Its been 8 years (going to be 9) since the last new mainline title.

It'd be nice if they had Nintendo's backing on this and it turns out to be a good sized project. Guess we'll see.

I'd love it if they ported Ever Oasis to Switch, I wanted to play it but the 3DS just repels me.

Even if they don't mention legendary or anything like that, it still could be Zelda.

It makes me very happy to see the Ever Oasis love in here 😍 I had a really fantastic time with that one, seeing that world expanded upon would be exciting.

That said, I think I'm just generally interested to see what Grezzo do, I think I'd give them a swing on pretty much anything. They've proven themselves to be pretty versatile with ports, remakes and original games. Bring it on!

It was Unreal Engine 4.

All the more reason then that the leaps in logic going on here make no sense. If this is a 2D Zelda, new or remake, it makes sense to stick with Unreal 4.

EDIT: Corrected by ILikeFeet below, but the point still stands.

Last edited:
Would a Zelda game be done in Unity? I would assume they'd be collaborating with Nintendo's Zelda team if they were making one.

Bad vibes. Last time a very close Nintendo ally hired for Unity development, it was for a non-Nintendo project... that being Monster Games for Nascar Heat Evolution, and we know what happened then.

I know Nintendo use Unity for mobile games, but what Switch games published by Nintendo used it? Did Snipperclips use it or Good Job?

high-end sekirosoulsbornelike exclusive to ps5 and targeting japanese fans.

It was not, it was their internal engine

Also wasn't the medieval and stylish game Miitopia?
Huh, could've sworn I read it was in UE4. Guess it was just speculation when people were talking about the framerate issue.

Bad vibes. Last time a very close Nintendo ally hired for Unity development, it was for a non-Nintendo project... that being Monster Games for Nascar Heat Evolution, and we know what happened then.

I know Nintendo use Unity for mobile games, but what Switch games published by Nintendo used it? Did Snipperclips use it or Good Job?

Snipperclips I believe did, not sure about Good Job.

I wonder if it's another Masataka Matsuura and Kyoji Koizumi game...? They were teasing something fantasy again (as mentioned above) and The Alliance Alive got ported over to Unity for the HD Remaster (which does have me wondering a bit about the usage of Unity here). While I get Legend of Legacy had issues, if it's something like The Alliance Alive again, I'll be very, very, happy.

I guess we'll know at some point soon, hopefully.

Calling it, next purchase. Talented little studio.

Grezzo works heavily with FuRyu, so I doubt it.

Snipperclips, Flip Wars, Jump Rope Challenge and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon are all Unity.

Pokémon Unite is as well.

I wonder if it's another Masataka Matsuura and Kyoji Koizumi game...? They were teasing something fantasy again (as mentioned above) and The Alliance Alive got ported over to Unity for the HD Remaster (which does have me wondering a bit about the usage of Unity here). While I get Legend of Legacy had issues, if it's something like The Alliance Alive again, I'll be very, very, happy.

I guess we'll know at some point soon, hopefully.

Grezzo works heavily with FuRyu, so I doubt it.

Actually it turns out Kyoki Koizumi is the only Grezzo employee who worked on those games, he also contributed to Compile Heart's Arc of Alchemist. Chief development duties for the FuRyu games was handled by Cattle Call.

Actually it turns out Kyoki Koizumi is the only Grezzo employee who worked on those games, he also contributed to Compile Heart's Arc of Alchemist. Chief development duties for the FuRyu games was handled by Cattle Call.

Oh, interesting! Was not aware of this. I knew Cattle Call was involved, but thought it was a full joint project. Thanks for the correction on this!

If you click through to the job postings the one talking about a medieval and stylish game is still up so???
Also the initial hiring post was just before Miitopia's reveal, which doesn't really make much sense as I doubt they were looking for UI designers that late. I wouldn't be surprised if the port was already done at that point.

Last edited:
If you click through to the job postings the one talking about a medieval and stylish game is still up so???
given that portion was listed before miitopia came out, it wasn't unreasonable speculation. whether it's still applicable for this new game or not, or if they keep it up because they could still use people in that field is unknown

Huh, could've sworn I read it was in UE4. Guess it was just speculation when people were talking about the framerate issue.
it was speculation, but there was never anything pointing to UE4 like logos or anything

I thought they were more involved as well, someone pointed it out to me a while ago.
Yeah.. ME! XD
given that portion was listed before miitopia came out, it wasn't unreasonable speculation. whether it's still applicable for this new game or not, or if they keep it up because they could still use people in that field is unknown

it was speculation, but there was never anything pointing to UE4 like logos or anything
Grezzo hired for UE4 development. Nothing surfaced of it otherwise.

Looking forward to what they do next. I think Grezzo goes very under the radar since so much of their work consists of remasters and remakes, but I think they've shown that they've got a lot of talent there.

Back
Top Bottom