• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Grezzo urgently recruiting Unity engineers for original production

Really hope it's a brand new 2D Zelda. I've long felt they were a good developer to take the mantle considering EPD is too busy to make them now. Just look at how many Zelda games they've worked on:

• Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Four Swords Anniversary Edition
  • Majora's Mask 3D
  • Tri Force Heroes
  • Link's Awakening
They've absolutely earned a shot at making a 2D Zelda game of their own that isn't multiplayer focused. Plus, it would harken back to the Flagship days when an external studio was making them!

Unity makes me think it’s not a Nintendo IP.
Eh, they’ve dabbled with Unity before, at least on mobile (i.e. Super Mario Run). Actually, even on Switch there is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX. UE4 has also been used by Nintendo for first party stuff with Yoshi’s Crafted World. I don’t think using Unity for a first party game is out of the question.

Sounds like this is a small internal original project, especially if it's on unity.

Really hope it's a brand new 2D Zelda. I've long felt they were a good developer to take the mantle considering EPD is too busy to make them now. Just look at how many Zelda games they've worked on:

• Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Four Swords Anniversary Edition
  • Majora's Mask 3D
  • Tri Force Heroes
  • Link's Awakening
They've absolutely earned a shot at making a 2D Zelda game of their own that isn't multiplayer focused. Plus, it would harken back to the Flagship days when an external studio was making them!
If Nintendo wants to once and for all close the case on the Switch having their best first-party lineup (first-party just meaning in terms of IP releases, not in terms of teams behind said releases), they should really close the gap on things like 2D Zelda and 2D Donkey Kong, even if it would just be the cherries on top for most people. Hell, I'm just surprised that we got a 2D Metroid at all!

I'd loveeeee an original 2D Zelda for the Switch, and hiring Grezzo to make it just makes sense (though, if they just started I could see it being a Switch 2 game, rather).

They really should make a new 2D Zelda.

I mean if you really wanna stretch it, Minish Cap was the last fully original classic 2D Zelda. ALBW was a reimagining, ST and PH were Psuedo

I wonder if Square-Enix will work with them on the announced Mana title? Grezzo's CEO/President is the "Father of Mana."

But I'd love for Grezzo to work on an original Mana-like title, with Nintnedo providing financial and marketing support for the title. There are enough developers for Nintendo to partner with on a 2D Zelda seeing as how dungeon design, map design, OST, and all the important aspects of the title will be controlled/supervised by the Zelda team, even it it's only a small staff overseeing these areas.

I wonder if Square-Enix will work with them on the announced Mana title? Grezzo's CEO/President is the "Father of Mana."

Ishii is apparently advising on the new one but we don't know to what extent he or Grezzo are involved.

A new 2D Zelda from them would be nice. Let’s not forget that their last original production was Ever Oasis on 3DS which was kind of a 2D Zelda with some town managing elements. Good game that was sadly overlooked.

Why would budget be tied to Nintendo?

Grezzo has been handling some key projects for Nintendo (Link's awakening), I just hope Nintendo is giving them a budget to reflect the quality of their games. If Grezzo is doing work for hire, they need all the funds and projects they can get to stay afloat and not end like Cing.

Rip Cing...

Back
Top Bottom