• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Godzilla Minus 1 announced for theaters in Japan 11-23, US December 1st

sagadego20

Paratroopa
Pronouns
He/Him
F0xoavzWcAcGQn_

this is the fastest a (real) godzilla film gets a us date, i wonder what the hell happened there. even the honda films which were co-produced with americans didn't get released so quickly.

damn it looks ugly tbh

Last edited:
this is the fastest a (real) godzilla film gets a us date, i wonder what the hell happened there. even the honda films which were co-produced with americans didn't get released so quickly.

damn it looks ugly tbh

Ugly? Wut

Sad that its not a suit and is being directed by "just some guy, I guess", but hopefully it'll be fun. The first actual Reiwa goji too (not counting american goji)

Man, Shin Godzilla was so incredible I’m not sure any other Godzilla can top it. I do think it’s interesting they’re going back to a post war Japan though. Have any of the recent films done that?

I was wondering if his designed was based on Godzilla (2014) but that close up shows that it's very different. I know it's a different director but I liked Shin and I like the setting so I'm optimistic.

Oh wow it’s playing in IMAX here… on one night at 10:30. Gonna get that ticket right now.

Just got back from seeing it at the IMAX, and holy moly it was incredible.
This is the darkest, scariest, and most human Godzilla film since the 1954 original.
Like all the best entries in the series, the character serves as a vehicle for exploring deeper themes; it's a film about trauma, both personal and cultural, and about confronting and healing from it.
This is a film I would recommend not just to Godzilla fans, but to just about anyone. It's not just a great Godzilla movie, it's a great film period.

Last edited:
Never expected to cry watching a Godzilla movie. A couple of issues but overall a fantastic watch. This is easily the most terrifying Godzilla has ever been, I could feel my stomach churning during the third act. Great, great stuff.

My god. This blew me away. One of the best movies of the year.

That atomic breath scene. Jesus christ. On par with Shin Godzilla atomic breath scene.

Good movie. I still prefer Shin, but there’s a load of great Godzilla sequences in here and it looks outrageous for having cost 60% as much as an episode of She-Hulk.

saw this over the weekend, have some mixed feelings mostly over how overbearingly melodramatic it is and some aspects of the finale that didn't quite work, but also it rocks. not even close to the level of Shin Godzilla for me but it's really cool that something like this can still be made with like 10% of the budget of the last few (bad!) hollywood ones and do well.
I don't think I've seen a non-Gamera giant monster movie that focuses so closely on a single character (though it does create the effect that Godzilla really has it out for this one guy in particular—and maybe he does!). and the place that character is coming from and the implications it has for the movie's themes are genuinely interesting, even if it didn't all quite land for me. oh and the score is great.

and despite any quibbles i may have: they dunked godzilla like a big cookie. so its hard to complain really

saw this over the weekend, have some mixed feelings mostly over how overbearingly melodramatic it is and some aspects of the finale that didn't quite work, but also it rocks. not even close to the level of Shin Godzilla for me but it's really cool that something like this can still be made with like 10% of the budget of the last few (bad!) hollywood ones and do well.
I don't think I've seen a non-Gamera giant monster movie that focuses so closely on a single character (though it does create the effect that Godzilla really has it out for this one guy in particular—and maybe he does!). and the place that character is coming from and the implications it has for the movie's themes are genuinely interesting, even if it didn't all quite land for me. oh and the score is great.

and despite any quibbles i may have: they dunked godzilla like a big cookie. so its hard to complain really
This is almost exactly how I felt. I had a ton of fun, but the melodrama didn’t really click for me. Still a good time at the movies, though.

Anno remains king.

My movie of the year and the melodrama worked for me, can't wait to watch this 100 more times. The big dinosaur is so hardcore in this!

Never expected to cry watching a Godzilla movie.

Everyone in our theater was tearing up, I couldn't believe it LMAO. I was a child watching the first one many, many times- and definitely felt sad during its conclusion, a really melancholy ending in either version you choose.

The first is still my favorite, but this is easily the best Godzilla has been in decades imo

Watched it yesterday and the first time he uses the atomic breath man, holy mackerel. I might prefer it to the shin Godzilla atomic breath scene if I’m gonna be honest

I saw it on a lark on Wednesday when I had off and my wife had to work unexpectedly, and it's suddenly my favorite movie of the year. The character work really landed for me, and I really enjoyed Godzilla as a force of nature. Godzilla also just looked cool. Really impressed by it. Saw it in Imax, and the destruction scenes were just so visceral.

I saw this tonight. I loved it! I forgot how amazing a GOOD action movie can be in the cinema. It has so much heart. The Godzilla scenes totally kick ass! It looks beautiful. I wanna see it again sometime.

Godzilla’s face is kind of cute?

Oh yeah, I went to see this and it absolutely rips. Made me go back and check out Shin Godzilla, which was also great (though not as good as this one imo)

Went back and watched a second time, can confirm it's my favorite film of 2023 by far. (Sorry Scorsese and Leo)

Being in the audience with Japanese children cheering and clapping, and some parents sobbing, was a wonderful experience, and the film is even darker upon a second reflection than even I remembered. The lead characters' stories are just too real and wonderful, the lead actor portrays regret and fear in a way that is uncanny, makes you want to leap through the screen.

All the big lizard action is literally perfect, chills for days during the Ginza attack.

Japan is getting a black and white version of the film and I cannot WAIT TO SEE IT!!!!

Went back and watched a second time, can confirm it's my favorite film of 2023 by far. (Sorry Scorsese and Leo)

Being in the audience with Japanese children cheering and clapping, and some parents sobbing, was a wonderful experience, and the film is even darker upon a second reflection than even I remembered. The lead characters' stories are just too real and wonderful, the lead actor portrays regret and fear in a way that is uncanny, makes you want to leap through the screen.

All the big lizard action is literally perfect, chills for days during the Ginza attack.

Japan is getting a black and white version of the film and I cannot WAIT TO SEE IT!!!!
I’m not as high on the movie as other folks here, but would absolutely plop down for a black and white version. I feel like the melodrama might play better for me that way.

Back
Top Bottom