• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion GI.biz - Nintendo in conversation with three new studios to make games based on their brands

mazi

picross pundit
I also know that Nintendo is actively meeting with independent developers to find new partners. Some of that is around publishing indie games, which Nintendo does from time-to-time, but it's also seeking studios that could work on some of its IP. Nintendo regularly works with third-party teams, including Bandai Namco, Team Ninja, Platinum Games, MercurySteam, WayForward and Grezzo. But the company is looking to add to that roster, and I know of three studios that are deep in conversation around making games based on Nintendo brands.

I hope they don't give Metroid to an american studio.
Imagine if they give it to the devs who worked on the Turok games ! They'll turn Metroid into a Doom-like ! And what's next ? Donkey Kong ?!

I hope they don't give Metroid to an american studio.
Imagine if they give it to the devs who worked on the Turok games ! They'll turn Metroid into a Doom-like ! And what's next ? Donkey Kong ?!
lmao, I needed this. Thank you.

Posted this elsewhere, but it’s good for here too:

I'm curious if this is a change in becoming more lax with western third parties handling Nintendo IP. We haven't really seen that outside of Next Level (which they acquired), Ubisoft, MercurySteam, or Brace Yourself Games. Perhaps something like a Take-Two developed Mario sports title or even a Microsoft Gaming studio working on a game.

There are Japanese third parties that could absolutely benefit from working with Nintendo to make the situation mutually beneficial though. Besides obvious ones like FromSoftware, Falcom could use a good in with the Nintendo audience now that it's pretty much the de facto dedicated gaming platform for the Japanese gaming public.

From the sound of it, they're talking about 3 studios that haven't worked with Nintendo before and maybe(?) are 3 indies?

Wild stabs in the dark here, more pipe dreams than actual predictions, but I'll say Sabotage Studio on Golden Sun, Shinen on F-Zero, and let's say Supergiant on Kid Icarus

I'm curious if this is a change in becoming more lax with western third parties handling Nintendo IP. We haven't really seen that outside of Next Level (which they acquired), Ubisoft, MercurySteam, or Brace Yourself Games.
Also Wayforward (California) who developed the Advance Wars remake

Star Fox by Epic Games
Punch Out! by EA Sports
Startropics by Massive Entertainment
Excitebike/truck by Bugbear Entertainment

After the success of Armored Core 6, FROM Software contracted to make a game about customizable mechas that are only 6" tall to battle to the death in a Thunderdome-esque arena.

FROM Software Presents:
Custom Robo

10531.png

Probably a snipperclip situation where Ninendo pick up and published some indie game that fit a demographic and some partnership like cadence of hyrule.

From the sound of it, they're talking about 3 studios that haven't worked with Nintendo before and maybe(?) are 3 indies?

Wild stabs in the dark here, more pipe dreams than actual predictions, but I'll say Sabotage Studio on Golden Sun, Shinen on F-Zero, and let's say Supergiant on Kid Icarus
it reads to me like the indies and these three new devs are different topics. they're looking for more indies to help publish their games (like they've done with games like snipperclips, stretchers, good job, etc) and are also looking for bigger devs to make games using nintendo IP.

would be fun to see who they align themselves with. hope those studios can bring something interesting, whomever they get

Nintendo, seeing the legions of Paper Mario fans who are clamoring for more story and original characters, sends it to the farmhouse to focus exclusively on story to the complete ignorance of gameplay

Supermassive Games Presents:
The Dark Picture Anthology: Paper Mario

d3j88x7-f2b5169d-158f-42d7-a50f-80f2a1c09a32.jpg

Not sure if I should trust Dring on this but exciting news nonetheless. Since article is American, I'm gonna guess the studios are also American.

Maybe Nintendo can save WB's studios from further shrinking? Give Traveler's Tales a Nintendo platformer franchise to make a 3D open world thing out of it. Wario? Yoshi?
Excitetrucks RT by the Wreckfest studio
That's Bugbear and yeah it's a great idea. They can pull it off.

But you know who can do a better Excite game? Eugene Jarvis and his studio Raw Thrills (Cruisin Blast)! Dude is the master of crazy arcade racing.

Three new studios outside the regular roster huh...
Square Enix developed Golden Sun (either giving it a full high fidelity FF treatment, or go the 2-D HD look)
Capcom developed Astral Chain (to let Platinum work on the Bayonetta series)
FROM Software developed Star Fox (maybe they could be the one to revitalize the IP)

This is definitely something I'd like them to do more of. Nintendo is often overprotective of their IP, but there are so many studios that could make great games for their series and this would likely help them get more games out for their calendar.

Hah! I was reading this one over at r/GamingLeaksAndRumors, earlier today!

But yeah...sounds very interesting. I'd love if Capcom was one of those picks.

After the success of Armored Core 6, FROM Software contracted to make a game about customizable mechas that are only 6" tall to battle to the death in a Thunderdome-esque arena.

FROM Software Presents:
Custom Robo

10531.png
A Armored Core game with a better color palette, sign me up.

In all seriousness Custom Robo needs to return, those stupid weapons were amazing lol

Deep in conversation rather than deep in development probably means we won't be hearing anything of this for years

But this is honestly the best chance smaller franchises like Star Fox for example have at making a comeback. If Nintendo eventually does a Star Fox movie and it does decently well, it could revitalize the franchise to the point where a new game actually might not bomb. And they definitely don't have the internal resources to spare for it

my only contribution to this is they're on a mission to find a studio to handle Star Fox. it's one of shiggy's favorites and i know they don't want to let Zero be the last anyone sees or hears of the series.

Deep in conversation rather than deep in development probably means we won't be hearing anything of this for years

But this is honestly the best chance smaller franchises like Star Fox for example have at making a comeback. If Nintendo eventually does a Star Fox movie and it does decently well, it could revitalize the franchise to the point where a new game actually might not bomb. And they definitely don't have the internal resources to spare for it
It's possible that these games already started and the sources don't want to be specific

Ubisoft developing the next Zelda? I wonder if we would get an open world Zelda ever.

Interesting.

Let’s see how it plays out. It wouldn’t be that strange all things considered. Game development will be more demanding for Nintendo and getting more external partners would benefit them.

With how Nintendo's delegation works, this is almost certainly them shopping around dormant franchises that don't have an active dev team at the minute. Generally, when working with overseas studios, Nintendo has given them a remake as a testing ground then expanded into original work. So, in real terms, we're probably looking at them starting work on remakes we see on Switch 2 in two-three years, then an original game in the franchise a few years later. F-Zero seems the clearest candidate (Though skipping to a full new game built off GX feels almost easier than a Samus Returns or Advance Wars style remake?), then probably Star Fox? Either that or spin-offs. I'm amazed we haven't seen Splatoon and Animal Crossing spin-offs on Switch by now.

Assuming these are studios that Nintendo hasn't worked with before, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is Sumo Digital. They're basically working with everyone and they're decently large.

With how Nintendo's delegation works, this is almost certainly them shopping around dormant franchises that don't have an active dev team at the minute. Generally, when working with overseas studios, Nintendo has given them a remake as a testing ground then expanded into original work. So, in real terms, we're probably looking at them starting work on remakes we see on Switch 2 in two-three years, then an original game in the franchise a few years later. F-Zero seems the clearest candidate (Though skipping to a full new game built off GX feels almost easier than a Samus Returns or Advance Wars style remake?), then probably Star Fox? Either that or spin-offs. I'm amazed we haven't seen Splatoon and Animal Crossing spin-offs on Switch by now.
I've always thought Splatoon would lend itself well to a sidescrolling platformer. It would be fairly easy to repurpose assets for that and you could even include co-op and things like that.

Nintendo please give F zero to whoever is handling racing franchises the most decently these days.
Is that EA?….Jeezus

I've always thought Splatoon would lend itself well to a sidescrolling platformer. It would be fairly easy to repurpose assets for that and you could even include co-op and things like that.
Thing is that would be amazing. I would make high pitched noises watching the Direct and my girlfriend would be torn between finding it cute and pathetic.

It makes a lot of sense really. Switch had WiiU ports to keep it's release calendar afloat. With Switch 2 they won't have that luxury, so beefing up their outside partners while they are also in this big recruiting phase would help ensure they can keep their release calendar healthy. Particularly as they increasingly turn to remakes/remasters as quicker/cheaper releases now that the WiiU is basically tapped out.

Supermassive Games Presents:
The Dark Picture Anthology: Paper Mario
My mind went to Supergiant Games at first and I experienced insane whiplash.

Would love to see Nintendo shop around their IPs a bit more. I think there's a lot of potential for devs to do some really cool stuff with the IPs that Nintendo just kind of sits on otherwise.

My mind went to Supergiant Games at first and I experienced insane whiplash.
Okay but like Paper Mario with Supergiant Games would also be an absolutely winning combination

Or at least have them revive Mario & Luigi

Back
Top Bottom