• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |ST| Plz buy this masterpiece, I am shilling for free because of how good it is (Demo available. Tag spoilers)

First time ever I am double-dipping on a game, because I already have the DS original.

I can't wait to play this masterpiece once more.

This is one of the very few games that I always wanted to play but never got around to. "The one that got away", that kind of thing.

So to get a remastered version is just a dream come true. Played through the demo and it was somehow even more charming and engaging than I was expecting, even though it's obvious to see how the tactile input of the stylus is missed in jumping from object to object. Really looking forward to this.

Oh snap, it's already out end of the week? I kinda had it booked for fall in my head :O

Just started the demo, but don’t feel like playing through the whole thing before the full game comes out. Do you have to reach the end of the demo to get the bonus for having played it in the full game, or do you just have to transfer your progress from the demo regardless of how far you got in it?

This re-release has made me re-realize that I own this game on my iPhone. I’m finally gonna get to the end of Ghost Trick!

Just started the demo, but don’t feel like playing through the whole thing before the full game comes out. Do you have to reach the end of the demo to get the bonus for having played it in the full game, or do you just have to transfer your progress from the demo regardless of how far you got in it?
I was wondering the same thing. I read in Capcom's website this:

• Bonuses for playing the demo version of Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective can be claimed in the full release version.
  • You can claim demo version bonuses even after progressing in the full release version.
  • If you have deleted your Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective Demo saved data, you will be unable to claim the bonuses.

So, I think that as long as you have some demo saved data you will be fine. I hope so, because I haven't played the full demo either :LOL: Anyway, the bonuses you get from the demo can be obtained in the game too, it just gives you them earlier. The real "exclusive" bonuses are from preordering the game.

Quoted by: Tye
I was wondering the same thing. I read in Capcom's website this:

So, I think that as long as you have some demo saved data you will be fine. I hope so, because I haven't played the full demo either :LOL: Anyway, the bonuses you get from the demo can be obtained in the game too, it just gives you them earlier. The real "exclusive" bonuses are from preordering the game.
Yeah I read that too, but it’s still kinda vague, lol. But yeah, I guess it’s no big deal since you can always get the stuff later regardless.

I am so happy my memory sucks and I forgot most of the plot details. This feels like playing it for the first time again.

Yeah, it's been so long that i've honestly forgotten a lot of stuff...really excited to play this again!

Chapter 1 completed and the port seems to be solid. Everything is crisp and smooth, aspect ratio is still 4:3 but it's not that big of a deal anyway.

My recommendation, as usual, remains to pick your platform of choice and just

Just started chapter 7. This game is absolutely fantastic. It reminds me so much of Ace Attorney it's amazing - I wasn't expecting that. The whimsical dialogue, the charismatic animations, the hapless authority figures, the wonderful pace the mystery unfolds at... just loving this right now.

It's only $30, more people need to check this out.

The "energy" the cast of characters manifest is amazing! I love how cartoony they are lol.

I had forgotten about how insanely addictive this game is due to its gripping narrative. I finished it in two sittings because I just couldn't stop!

Missile is one of the greatest fictional characters in any video game, fight me.

Made sure to give my cat a big ol’ hug after the Sissel reveal. I figured out he was using the wrong face fairly early on, but I wasn’t expecting him to be a goddamn cat. His inability to read and complete lack of understanding human concepts was a brilliant way to foreshadow it too.

Also, the Ray reveal made me do a spit take. As I said, Missile is the GOAT.

Finished the game yesterday, some thoughts on stuff I liked:
  • I appreciated how Yomiel leans against the fourth wall if you mess up on Cabanela's puzzle. It's a common trope of the genre used conservatively here to great effect.
  • The choice to make the player associate with Yomiel's appearance instead of Sissel's throughout works to make the player identify with Yomiel's character, which is integral not only to the story, but to Sissel's character. It's a big risk to do this kind of bait and switch identity, but it feels meaningful here.
  • The updated graphics and music are handled excellently. There's certainly a charm to the more pixellated artwork of the DS release, but animations as expressive and detailed as these lend themselves beautifully to HD and 60 fps. It's a very faithful remaster that meaningfully improves the original game.

So what's the best place to import this game? Lord knows how much I loath Capcom Europe...

As much as I loathe Amazon, its Amazon...

A friend imported 2 copies to us from themr, arived in 2 days, that is faster than our national postal service delivers a package from one part of Sweden to the other lol.

Is there any reason to keep the DS version if I plan to pick this up? Wondering if I should sell my copy now whilst I can get a decent price for it and put it towards getting this version.

finished this morning. wow!! what a remarkable game. feels safe to say that all of the people hyping this up for the last 10+ years were NOT overrating it lol. some quick not-especially-spoilery thoughts:
I think my absolute favorite thing about the game is how "continuous" it is, both in time and space. from the moment the game starts, you stick with the player character wherever he goes, and even though you jump between locations, it's always within the rules of the game's movement (I think there's a single time partway through where he's moved to another location between chapters but aside from that one instance, it's always a clear & continuous chain of objects between the start of the game and the end). this combined with the pseudo-real-time plot does incredible work to sell the feeling of this all taking place in a single, high-stakes night. the mechanics are fully baked into the story, and even if some of it is a bit contrived, it still works really well I think. and since the game is relatively short and breezy, it's easy to hold the full shape of the story in your head by the end, like a movie.

I don't really feel like criticizing the puzzles, but I'll say the prison escape sequence was perhaps a bit much, and I can see a lot of people dropping the game there lol. most of them are at least pretty fun though.

I thought I'd had the "big" twist spoiled for me years ago, but I'd either misremembered or been told the wrong thing which was a nice surprise lol, and I loved how the final couple chapters played out. such a perfect little story! and such a cool next step in mystery narrative design after Ace Attorney. it really feels like there's never been another game quite like this
and what a nicely done port! the button and touch controls both work fine, the character portraits in particular look incredible and crisp, and I love how easy it is to switch between the original and arranged music. lots of sweet unlockable concept art too. I hope more people finally give this a shot, easily worth the time & asking price for anyone who likes the Ace Attorney games and hasn't played this yet. definitely going to finally play the Great Ace Attorney games soon too

Can't really justify paying full price for this again when I still have my original ds copy (same reason I've not bought AA HD), but I'll give a +1 highly recommend this game to anyone on the fence.

I finished it early in the week and it was fantastic. It has a charm of the ds era (been playing a ton of ds puzzle/vn games recently).
10/10 characters with a great soundtrack, specially "A targeted redhead".

I noticed that this version is the only one that doesn’t have the current in-game time shown on screen whenever the story is in the present. A bit of a shame personally, because now you basically only see the time at the start of each chapter. Wish they’d kept that detail.

Ehh, I played it on the DS and it's alright. The game has an amazing story, but the gameplay itself is slow and boring. It would work much better as a pure visual novel, the puzzle aspect is just annoying.

My wife got me the Japanese special edition as an anniversary present. I was so completely blown away, excited and grateful. I never buy physical games these days so it was really unexpected plus I didn't even know there was a special edition for Ghost Trick. It's one of my all-time favorite games. I'm looking forward to playing through it in Japanese when my Japanese is a bit more proficient. Is this version region free to where my wife could play the game in English?

Just finished this for the first time — was not expecting to get that emotional at the end. I know a few people who have been hyping this up for years, and they were entirely justified in doing so. Goddamn. Would that all video game narratives were this clever and involving.

Glad to see Capcom bringing this game back the original was by far one of the best puzzle games on the ds and to this day, the animation still holds up really well.

FYI, the iOS/Android versions (which are pretty much the base for these console ports) are officially getting re-released on March 28th. with all of the new content.

not sure if it’s a free upgrade if you bought them before, but it’s worth keeping an eye on.

FYI, the iOS/Android versions (which are pretty much the base for these console ports) are officially getting re-released on March 28th. with all of the new content.

not sure if it’s a free upgrade if you bought them before, but it’s worth keeping an eye on.

That's fantastic news. The more people who can experience this game, the better.

Back
Top Bottom