• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion gen 6 and 7 pokemons are when pokemon desgins peaked

Tall Valley Nerd

Piranha Plant
Pronouns
he/him
as i said in another thread the only pokemon game i played are pla but i loved the anime as a kid and watch it all until the sinnoh series and after playing pla i returned and watch the kalos and alola series and since i started following pokemon discussions and i always see people arguing about how old pokemons designs are better than the new ones and while i admit that the pokemons designs in gen 8 and 9 are not among the series strongest and i do not like most of them but what really frustrate me that in my opinion gen 6 and 7 has the series best designs and no one acknowledge this like all people complain about kalos only having 70 pokemon but no one ever acknowledge that all of these 70 pokemon are some of the greatest designs that pokemon ever created
and it even worse with alola like no one even talk about 90% of the pokemons there despite being in my opinion the peak in pokemon design and this really really frustrate me
but this only my opinion what all of you people think?

I don't think there's any use in getting frustrated over something so subjective. Personally I think gen 6 designs are some of the worst lol. And gen 7 has some low lows, but also some really high highs. As long as someone is giving everything a fair shot, and it's not just one of those people that only played old gens blanket criticizing everything they don't have nostalgia for, I don't really mind what others think

Everyone has their taste in designs, my fav is gen 3 but I don't think it's as simple as old gen good new gen bad. Gen 9 designs are great IMO. Just look at mons like Tinkaton, Maushold, Iron Valiant, Flutter Mane, Meowscarada, Ceruledge, Bellibolt, etc. Not a fan of Kalos though some of the megas are fire

all of these 70 pokemon are some of the greatest designs that pokemon ever created

751px-Hauptartwork_655.png

0688Binacle.png

?

But you're right that we don't talk about Toucannon enough.

4/5 for me. Tons of my favorite designs come from those games, especially 4. Honestly I think the batting average for 8 is better than 6/7 for monster designs.

But there's no real objective measurement here. I do miss gens with more Pokemon, though.

OK 7 I can see an argument for because Alola has some banger designs but 6 is a pretty weak region overall in my eyes. Definitely miles below 8/9 which honestly rank pretty highly for me in terms of Pokemon designs

Honestly OP I'm genuinely curious what you mean when you say Kalos has some of the best designs

Oh I am not here for this Delphox slander. I love my goofy fox-mage. Now, Chesnaught on the other hand...

Honestly though I kinda think all gens have hits and misses. I'm not sure I could point to a particular generation and say it was the best or worst. Maybe gen 5 suffered for trying to redo a lot of gen 1 concepts, and the gen 4 cross-evolutions are very hit and miss.

Every gen has incredible designs - that has always been the strength of pokemon.

But if you compare gen to gen, then I gotta be honest, Gen 6 has a slightly poor hit ratio for me. The starter evo lines are all pretty meh - I especially dislike Greninja. Slurpuff and Spritzee are lame, Litleo is about as poorly as they could have done a lion pokemon. Florges line is a really boring first implementation of a fairy pokemon. Goodra is the worst pseudo-legendary dragon. The ghost plant pokemon are forgettable. Carbink might be the most forgettable pokemon ever. Klefki is a joke.

But on the other hand, the Talonflame line is cool, Vivillon might be the coolest pokemon idea ever, Pangoro is ace. Skrelp and Clauncher are terrific water pokemon. Tyrantrum is sick, so is Noivern. Hawlucha is just absurdly clever.

Tons of great designs, but plenty of misses for me.

My least favourite gen of designs remains gen 3, though. Man, I didn't like gen 3.

EDIT: Since you also asked about gen 7 - gen 7 was consistently superb.

By the way here are some of my favorites from the last time I did The Cave of Dragonfly's favorite Pokémon picker. my top mons are predominantly from gens 2, 5 and 7. Order isn't exactly static after a point, but Timburr is my all time fave. Well 7 isn't so much represented in the image here because I stopped after 21, but I can assure you that most of the ultra beasts would be coming up soon after!

2cj2skqe.png

6 is probably among the worst tbh. The Pokemon count is low, and you've got uggos like Binacle and and Chesnaught taking up space

5, 7, and 8 are peak. I'd also put Gen 9 as one of the weaker ones, they fucked up the variety with an egregious amount of birds, fish, dogs and mostly lame robots

Delphox could be tolerable if she wasn't so lanky, trimmed her ear hair into a cool shape, was four-legged or had a burning broom instead of a fire twig.

Barbaracle is easily top 50

I went to YEAH! your post for the sheer audacity of the claim but at the last second noticed the word "easily" and that was one step to far for me.

I will say, one of the main criticisms against gen 6 is the low Pokémon count. I dislike a lot of them, so it was a bummer to get so few, that I didn't even like to boot. But if you count the mega evolutions, then things look a whole lot brighter. I know they're a mixed bag for most, but personally I love 'em. Most of them are sick as hell. At least they're seemingly coming back now!

I like Gen 6 since it's the point that I got back into the franchise, but it probably has the weakest batting average out of all the gens. I agree that Gen 7 is underrated, though. Among the most solid lineups, no question.

Hard disagree. Every gen has a mix of "literally why" Pokemon and excellent designs. Gen 8 has the Applin line, Corviknight and Toxtricity, Gen 9 has the Charcadet line and Garganacl, all of which are great and easily recognizable Pokemon and aren't even necessarily the most standout designs.

751px-Hauptartwork_655.png

0688Binacle.png

?

But you're right that we don't talk about Toucannon enough.
Delphox is the worst. I've never felt this disappointed in seeing a Pokémon evolved lol. Gen 6 was the last time I avoided as many new Pokémon showcases and leaks as possible.

Both gen 5 and 6 were the only gens where I put my starter in a box. With gen 5 at least the Piglet line was terrible from the start. But gen 6... Fennekin and Braixen were perfect!

How could you go from this perfection:
654.png

To Delphox? Just look at her. The only thing they needed to do was make her bigger. There's a reason they chose Braixen for Pokken Tournament.

Just don't make the same mistake as me and Google Braixen.

Really disagree, especially with gen 7. I think 1/3 have the best designs, I will give gen 6 credit though the European mythology aesthetic was a nice touch.

By the way here are some of my favorites from the last time I did The Cave of Dragonfly's favorite Pokémon picker. my top mons are predominantly from gens 2, 5 and 7. Order isn't exactly static after a point, but Timburr is my all time fave. Well 7 isn't so much represented in the image here because I stopped after 21, but I can assure you that most of the ultra beasts would be coming up soon after!

2cj2skqe.png

I thought this tool would give me answers but I only have more questions!!

I think each gen has its strengths and weaknesses, but even then it’s also very subjective.

I’ve always thought Gen V had the strongest designs as a whole, but I know that’s a very controversial opinion because it’s copy of Kanto/soft reboot philosophy

Delphox is the worst. I've never felt this disappointed in seeing a Pokémon evolved lol. Gen 6 was the last time I avoided as many new Pokémon showcases and leaks as possible.

Both gen 5 and 6 were the only gens where I put my starter in a box. With gen 5 at least the Piglet line was terrible from the start. But gen 6... Fennekin and Braixen were perfect!

How could you go from this perfection:
654.png

To Delphox? Just look at her. The only thing they needed to do was make her bigger. There's a reason they chose Braixen for Pokken Tournament.

Just don't make the same mistake as me and Google Braixen.

First time this happened to me was with Gen 9. I even learned to like Chesnaught before that. But Quaquavel ... It never left my party and I still never grew to tolerate the dancing.

Yooooo fellow Duraludon/Archaludon buddies let's go!!!
it’s funny, I appreciated Duraludon but didn’t love the design at first — but Archaludon easily became a favorite!

The method is weird, though. There are definitely some I expected to see here, and I was also doing a combination of “favorite design but also appreciate in-game”

like I also love / hate Alolan Exeggutor, which I figured would creep up there

and I hate regular Raichu but love Alolan Raichu

same with Tauros — big Paldean fan, couldn’t care less originalstyle

Gen 6 has low lows and high highs, overall that package is lacking because there are so few new designs. Megas are mostly trash, and the good ones should have just been new evos (I'll be forever bitter about Mega Heracross not being its own Pokémon that I can have in my team).

Gen 7 is mostly great, yeah. I think outside the starters, which have been mostly awful since gen 5, I think I like every Pokémon from Alola.

Gen 8 and 9 are great as well.

To everyone hating on the opinion of OP, it’s important to keep in mind that his exposure to the Gen 6 Pokèmon was the XY anime, which makes every single thing from Kalos infinitely cooler than it would be to someone who only played the XY games - including the Pokémon themselves

neither of those gens introduced the legendary ice cream Pokemon, so this post is almost* completely wrong.
0582Vanillite.png

*Gen 8 eventually got a cake Pokemon, but that design only looks appealing when gigantamaxed..

I like Gen 1 and 3 the most. Alola is a great region though!

The only X and Y Pokémon I'm passionate about are Furfrou, Avalugg and Talonflame. The rest is passable but it also has some of my all-time least favorites in terms of design (Aegislash, Delphox, Pyroar, Panchan). Hoping Legends Z-A makes me appreciate Gen 6 designs more like Arceus did for Gen 4, because right now it's at the bottom with Gen 8.

I will pay 7, that's an excellent set.

My subjective opinion is 6 has too few mons, and a lot of them are quite bland and most of the megas are honestly not that good. So a whole I find it hard to really appreciate the generation. I will say they do a great job of making 1st/2nd form mons stand out from their final evos, which is something the series kind of struggled with earlier. I think that's a consequence of necessity more efficient evo lines, when you need to model and animate them. But that meant less new evo lines in general, which is lame. Ground is my favorite type and there only the route 1 rodent and the post game legendary for me in Kalos. Hooray.

Unpopular? Delphox is fine but Braixen is bad (I get idol cutesy which stuff has its appeal with some, I suppose). Delphox only needs a very minor design to nail that "witch of forest" vibe its meant to have. (Sylvaur deviant art attached). I actually wonder if they didn't intentionally water the design down to fit better with contests/anime? It has the highest BST which makes me think it was originally going to be the shillmon starter of the gen before they settled on Greninja.

delphox_redesign_by_sylvaur_de52xjl-pre.jpg

Gen 3 is my overall fav a great combination of slightly edgier designs without going full edgelord, a very tropical/lush and lively vibe, from the starters to the random wild mons to the legendries. Its just everything I like about pokemon designs from start to finish. A healthy balance of creature/animal/monster to the almost-too-humanoid/character designs but just broad enough to not feel weird if 2 were on screen at once.

And gen 5 has a lot of great designs too despite of the Kanto redux's being slightly bland.

Gen 1/2 have a lot of bland designs (like the notorious magnets and sludge), and some that are very very weird like Jynx. But I don't know if random normal blobs and goofballs like Farfetch'd, Likitung or Clefairy would be made today. There's this combination of weird and simple that happens less often now. We get weird but its usually complex, we get simple but its usually execution of a clear theme fairly strongly. Not to mention now we celebrate getting only 1/2 kaiju's a gen. Its probably for the best, you don't need a good portion of the dex having similar designs/silhouttes, little timmy doesn't need 6 kaiju plushies.

Gen 4 is mostly fine, a lot of the new evos aren't fantastic though.

...wait people hate Delphox? I always liked it wayyyy better than Braixen, the way people got way too sexual and weird about that design rubbed me the wrong way. But that's happened to quite a few Pokemon, and Quilladin is one of my favourite middle evos ever and people hate them too so what do I know.

Agree that 7 is the peak, 6 is ehhh. Mimikyu is incredibly inspired and I love weird-ass shit like the UBs, while gen 6 just feels stale in a way I can't put my finger on. 8 and 9 are pretty damn good imo, but I think they've trended a little too hard into "soft and round" designs recently.

They peaked at Gen 1.5, I wanna see more of those beta GS designs make a return

Delphox is the only Gen 6 final starter evo I like. Chesnaught is just ugly and weird. And Greninja's tongue is pure body horror and I hate it. Would have been a good design otherwise.

even if its not my favouirte i think gen 7 is objectively the best designed gen of mon if the criteria is

how tied are they environmentally and culturally to their region.

like half of them are tropical plants fish or mammals
with some for more rugged environments like the snowy mountains and canyons.

they basically all fit the local ecosystems and their appearance influenced the culture around them more than any other gen really.

Yeah, I think I agree that Gen 6 & 7 are top tier, but I would throw Gen 8 in there too. As much as I can’t stand Sword/Shield as games, I’d be lying if I said it didn’t come with some GOATed Pokémon designs.

Gen 5 has the weakest overall average in terms of design IMO, but that’s not too surprising when there are so many. It feels like Black/White went for a quantity over quality approach, and Gen 6 took the opposite direction… although I still wish Gen 6 (and 7, for that matter) came with more new Pokémon. I’m not expecting 150+ new Pokémon in every generation, but I feel like ~75 is a little low. And before anyone attacks me as a Unova hater, know that Gen 5 is my favourite generation of all time in terms of the games themselves, I just don’t think the new lineup is very strong.

As for Gen 9, I’m a bit mixed. It has some real banger designs but a lot of them just feel really weird to me lol. I don’t know, I can’t really put my finger on why, but maybe some of them just don’t feel like Pokémon…? Which I understand is a weird statement since what constitutes a “Pokémon-like” design is already pretty broad and has changed a lot over time… but idk, some just lack the Pokemon feel to me. Not to say they’re ugly or bad, because many of them aren’t… yeah, I don’t really know what I’m saying here lmao

Also I can’t stand the Violet Paradox Pokémon. I was so sure about Violet when I heard the leaks about the future theming, but in practice, I took the biggest L of all time

but gen 2 actively looks awful 50% of the time, and the rest is just average.
This might be my own nostalgia talking, but how dare you. Misdreavus is a queen...and she should have been on Morty's team, because seriously, what was with Gen 2 being so bad at showcasing its own Mons???

I never owned Gen 5 . At first i thought Gen 6 is clearly better in design..

Gen 6 starters aren't too shabby looking. Not the best by any means, but good. Talonflame (bad ass), Ageislash, Heliodisk, Tyrantrum, Sylveon, Hawlucha, Goodra, Trevanant, and the legendadries are really cool. Hoopa is meh.
Not to mention mega evolutions.

But then I realized I was wrong. Gen 6 just doesn't have enough cool designs, because as someone pointed out, the roster is minimal in comparison to gen 5.

Gen 5 has the ugliest/uninspired looking starters and their bird---Unfezant was.. meh. But Excadrill, Conkeldurr,Seismatoad, Whimscott, Krookadile, Darmantian, Scrafty, Sigliph, Cofagrious, Carracosta, Archeops, Zoroark, Escavalier, Galvantula, Chandelure, Haxorus, Accelgor, Bisharp, Braviary, Hydregeon,Volcanara, fighting legendaries Victini is awesome. The other legendaries are awesome too, but the weather trio really threw me off when they were first revealed.

Back
Top Bottom