• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News GB/GBC games coming to Nintendo Switch Online, GBA games coming to NSO Expansion Pack (out now!)

If we end up getting Pokemon RBY and GSC announced later this month, I actually hope they are separate from NSO so we can get some QOL features like speed up. I tried playing Crystal a few years ago and dropped it because the game was simply too slow for me to play.
I think they probably will be separate, even if it's just to better facilitate HOME support.

Love the GB and GBA addition to the online service!

It does feel a little like it's missing the "bones" of the catalog without Pokemon, but would love to see some sort of integration with Pokemon Stadiums on the service.

Keep it up with the GBA games Nintendo! The more the better!

I guess I'm finally playing a wario land game for the first time
Thanks nintendo

I hope Pokémon Pinball will come this time. It has never been rereleased. I have two theories why:

1- The game has a rumble function and none of the consoles that had GB VC supported rumble. If that's the reason, the Switch should get it.
2- The game features a song from the Pokémon anime which might be owned by Toei. If that's the reason, I hope they can get around that this time.

Pokémon Pinball is my favorite pinball game ever and one of the best games on the GB period. It doesn't deserve to be lost to time.

Just had to give SML2 a play-through before bed. Such a great, quick little game. This and Tetris were the only games I had for a long time when I was young, and there was a significant streak where I was playing through this game every single night. Maybe that’s why I love speedrunning so much now, lol.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to jumping into the GBA titles once I’m finished with the Prime Remaster.

Wow, saying that feels crazy. What a great day this was.
SML2 was the first game I got with my game boy color and it has a very special place in my heart. I love that you can use the GBC filter with the games because that was the way I saw the game back in the 90s not in the green hue.

You are not kidding. I remember playing Red when it first came to 3DS thinking "how the heck did we get through this as kids?" I guess it helps having nothing better to do in our youth lol.
for years I've been watching Pokemon solo challenge runs on youtube and I love them. But those guys all use speed up. So when I finally went to play Crystal again for myself it was agonizingly slow; I dropped it before Whitney because I couldn't take it.

As a kid I beat all the gen one and two games multiple times each. No idea how I did that. I guess I just didn't notice and wouldn't have cared if I had.

GCN game file sizes are way too big for an NSO setup. They’ll most likely just keep selling remasters.

Not that I expect GCN to get a Expansion Pass presence by any means, especially when two of the biggest announcements from the Direct were bringing back classic Gamecube titles.

But, I always assumed Nintendo could just implement a Game Pass-esque solution to this. Just have an app where you can pick and choose which GameCube games you'd want to have downloaded as opposed to the current method of just sticking every single release on the system as they come out.

Elite Forces feels like the most iffy one here solely down to third parties not being a consistent presence so far. Advance Wars and Red Rescue Team might be haulted by having remakes; but Link's Awakening DX proves it isn't an unavoidable hurdle.

Otherwise I think given enough time all of these will make it over, including some other games that missed out on virtual console last time.
Red Rescue Team seems far enough removed from the remake at this point (3 years soon) that they'd relent.

Advance Wars on the other hand? I'd expect to see that at a minimum a year or two from Advance Wars Reboot Camp's release. I'd imagine they want some time in between the big remakes and the re-releases on NSO to let those remakes sell as much as they can.

i have really high hopes for the GBA lineup. the launch isn't that amazing (tho i'm gonna replay superstar saga and minish cap) but there's so many amazing first party games that have no reason to not show up.

also this was good news for base NSO subscribers. they have pretty much ignored the base tier after the expansion came out, and even before that it was slim pickings for a long time.

Alone in the Dark is a weird choice, i guess it shows off the color capabilities of the GBC, and may have looked impressive back in the late 90s on a portable, but it looks janky blown up on a big screen with the low resolution digitized assets

I would have much preferred something else. Isn't there a Rayman GBC game? How about Bionic Commando!
Also Nintendo published an RTS on GBC, maybe we can get that on NSO

I'm surprised at the slim pickings for GBA but the initial lineup is good, at least.

Do we have a datamined list of available slots like we did for N64?

I hope Pokémon Pinball will come this time. It has never been rereleased. I have two theories why:

1- The game has a rumble function and none of the consoles that had GB VC supported rumble. If that's the reason, the Switch should get it.
2- The game features a song from the Pokémon anime which might be owned by Toei. If that's the reason, I hope they can get around that this time.

Pokémon Pinball is my favorite pinball game ever and one of the best games on the GB period. It doesn't deserve to be lost to time.
Pokémon Pinball was my first GBC game (I wanted Pokémon, my parents didn't know any better). It was so much fun. I hope we get it.

for years I've been watching Pokemon solo challenge runs on youtube and I love them. But those guys all use speed up. So when I finally went to play Crystal again for myself it was agonizingly slow; I dropped it before Whitney because I couldn't take it.

As a kid I beat all the gen one and two games multiple times each. No idea how I did that. I guess I just didn't notice and wouldn't have cared if I had.
I tried to play yellow on 3DS and I just got to a point where I have to grind mon it seemed like, and I got tired of it. Maybe I just suck and went the wrong route or something, but these old games just don’t hold up when you have options for the newer games. Still would welcome them to the service though.

I played Pokemon TGC on the 3DS years ago and that game holds up very well. When it comes out, anyone that tries it is in for a treat.

Pokemon Pinball needs to happen yesterday.

Any data mines yet?
Some neat emulator stuff, but nothing for games. However, the internal apps for GB and GBA leaked last April, so we know a lot of other games that were tested and working, mostly for GBA. Usual disclaimer that not all of these may actually be released, and there are some pretty obvious ones that won't be, like the Battle Network games.

Game Boy
  • Super Mario Land
  • Qix
Game Boy Advance

• Astro Boy: Omega Factor
  • Car Battler Joe
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  • ChuChu Rocket!
  • Drill Dozer
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
  • Game & Watch Gallery 4
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  • Gunstar Super Heroes
  • Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
  • Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
  • Koro Koro Puzzle Happy Panechu!
  • Lufia: The Ruins of Lore
  • Mario Golf: Advance Tour
  • Mario Party Advance
  • Mario Tennis: Power Tour
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  • Mega Man Battle Network 2
  • Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team ProtoMan
  • Mega Man Zero 3
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • Mr. Driller 2
  • Ninja Five-O
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
  • Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
  • Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation
  • Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
  • Wario Land 4
  • Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 4

They were also testing things for Pokémon RSE, but those games weren't actually in the leak.

I believe Nintendo fully owns the rights to the GB version of Tetris, meanwhile Tetris Attack would need to relicense the Tetris name. Makes sense to go with Panel De Pon since the license for that will never expire or need to be renegotiated.

I think the announced releases are scheduled through the summer, which is also when the current batch of N64 games end. Since I feel confident we'll get a summer direct detailing second half 2023 software, we'll probably see an NSO update with new games coming to N64, GB/C, and GBA through the end of 2023.

As for why those specific games? 🤷‍♀️ in 18 months what was on the service at launch won't really matter
i remember they had to remove it from the eshop around the same time Ubisoft was gonna release their own Tetris

Some neat emulator stuff, but nothing for games. However, the internal apps for GB and GBA leaked last April, so we know a lot of other games that were tested and working, mostly for GBA. Usual disclaimer that not all of these may actually be released, and there are some pretty obvious ones that won't be, like the Battle Network games.

Game Boy
  • Super Mario Land
  • Qix
Game Boy Advance

• Car Battler Joe
  • ChuChu Rocket!
  • Drill Dozer
  • Game & Watch Gallery 4
  • Gunstar Super Heroes
  • Mario Party Advance
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  • Mega Man Zero 3
  • Mr. Driller 2
  • Ninja Five-O
  • Wario Land 4

They were also testing things for Pokémon RSE, but those games weren't actually in the leak.
No Fusion is suspicious, hope we're not getting a remake instead

Quoted by: Leo
I tried to play yellow on 3DS and I just got to a point where I have to grind mon it seemed like, and I got tired of it. Maybe I just suck and went the wrong route or something, but these old games just don’t hold up when you have options for the newer games. Still would welcome them to the service though.
The problem with the original Kanto games is there's no good place to grind levels at a certain point, because of how you can tackle some of the later gyms in any order, thus the levels of the trainers and Pokemon around those towns are low.
Which is why, in FireRed & LeafGreen, they added the Sevii Islands.

Anyone else notice they announced just enough “future games” to, oh let’s just say, for example, one game drop a month until June, the month where they usually have another Direct?

I think NES/SNES NSO taught them that starting with a lot of the hits upfront and doing sporadic dumps at seemingly random intervals wasn’t the way to do it. The conversation around the sporadic drops was always “wow NSO sucks, they’re adding weird bad trash games” and not “hey the service STILL HAS THE CLASSICS.” It always kinda frustrated me every time there was an NES/SNES game drop and people would be like “who even wants Tuff-E-Nuff??” when like… what do you want them to do, add Super Metroid again? The best stuff is either already on there or is not gonna happen because it’s not worth it for third parties when they can make more selling it on the eShop.

With N64 NSO, they’ve learned that having a somewhat regular cadence (about one a month) is a great way to drive interest in individual games AND the service as a whole, as it keeps the service in headlines AND the social media conversation on a regular basis. So now, instead of having all the Game Boy classics upfront and then trickling out whatever other stuff they can scrounge up, they get that positive monthly buzz when they add DK94, or Pokemon, or Super Mario Land, or Mario Picross. You’ll get the complaints about the dripfeed, sure, but it’ll get drowned out by the buzz of each game.

The problem with the original Kanto games is there's no good place to grind levels at a certain point, because of how you can tackle some of the later gyms in any order, thus the levels of the trainers and Pokemon around those towns are low.
Which is why, in FireRed & LeafGreen, they added the Sevii Islands.

As much as I love, love, love Let's Go, a FireRed/LeafGreen rerelease would be so great. I feel like Sevii Islands are a forgotten and unique area in Pokemon.

There were even some story elements in the islands acting as connecting tissue between Red/Blue -> Gold/Silver/Crystal!

Is there a way to speed up games? Folk above mentioning how slow old school Pokémon reminded me that my old high school buddy used to play Yellow and Gold on a PC emu at like double/triple speed.

And can we easily swap B and A buttons to Y and B? I'm sure they added that option in the NES app but maybe I'm misremembering.

I could wait until I'm home but I'm impatient. Thanks!

Last edited:
Anyone else notice they announced just enough “future games” to, oh let’s just say, for example, one game drop a month until June, the month where they usually have another Direct?

I think NES/SNES NSO taught them that starting with a lot of the hits upfront and doing sporadic dumps at seemingly random intervals wasn’t the way to do it. The conversation around the sporadic drops was always “wow NSO sucks, they’re adding weird bad trash games” and not “hey the service STILL HAS THE CLASSICS.” It always kinda frustrated me every time there was an NES/SNES game drop and people would be like “who even wants Tuff-E-Nuff??” when like… what do you want them to do, add Super Metroid again? The best stuff is either already on there or is not gonna happen because it’s not worth it for third parties when they can make more selling it on the eShop.

With N64 NSO, they’ve learned that having a somewhat regular cadence (about one a month) is a great way to drive interest in individual games AND the service as a whole, as it keeps the service in headlines AND the social media conversation on a regular basis. So now, instead of having all the Game Boy classics upfront and then trickling out whatever other stuff they can scrounge up, they get that positive monthly buzz when they add DK94, or Pokemon, or Super Mario Land, or Mario Picross. You’ll get the complaints about the dripfeed, sure, but it’ll get drowned out by the buzz of each game.
You are not wrong and now they have multiple systems where they could theoretically release a game every 10 days further keeping NSO in our minds and talking about it on social media. We're going from 1 game a month to hopefully 3 with a stray SNES game possibly haha.

You are not wrong and now they have multiple systems where they could theoretically release a game every 10 days further keeping NSO in our minds and talking about it on social media. We're going from 1 game a month to hopefully 3 with a stray SNES game possibly haha.
Honestly it never even occurred to me that they could stagger the releases to keep NSO in the headlines. Very smart.

So they've changed the brightness of games since they don't need to be extra vibrant to make up for no backlight right? Is that possible on unofficial emulators?

I love how like half the games they added to NSO are on my list to play. And I'll probably play all of the games they listed as coming soon. Definitely the GBA ones. I never played Golden Sun, that Fire Emblem game, Metroid Fusion, and none of the Zelda games. I'm excited.

Honestly it never even occurred to me that they could stagger the releases to keep NSO in the headlines. Very smart.
Exactly haha. They don't need to put out a N64 game, GB and GBA game on the same day of the month. Stagger em.

So they've changed the brightness of games since they don't need to be extra vibrant to make up for no backlight right? Is that possible on unofficial emulators?

Yes, color correction has been an option for a while.

Now I kind of want to get the NES controllers for Switch. Seems like the best way to play gameboy games.

With 6 different NSO apps, there is no reason for Nintendo to skip a month with an update for a very long time.

But, I always assumed Nintendo could just implement a Game Pass-esque solution to this. Just have an app where you can pick and choose which GameCube games you'd want to have downloaded as opposed to the current method of just sticking every single release on the system as they come out.

You just described the eshop, haha. There's no point introducing another app at that point.

Now I kind of want to get the NES controllers for Switch. Seems like the best way to play gameboy games.

With 6 different NSO apps, there is no reason for Nintendo to skip a month with an update for a very long time.
I do feel the Genesis app will continue being it’s own beast, and I think NES/SNES are… well, those wells are dry, so my expectations there are extremely low

N64‘s still got probably a dozen or so solid, hype-able releases left, which is why I think we’ve seen their release cadence slow down a little. Unfortunately I think that’s a symptom of the source system’s library: the N64 just didn’t have that many games, let alone ones they could easily, cheaply clear for release on NSO.

But I do think Game Boy and Game Boy Advance are going to be goldmines for them. I could see GB getting games dropped 2 at a time (no one is going to cheer for Alleyway by itself lmao) but GBA is going to end up being THE NSO hype-generator going forward. That system is chock-full of gems, so they’re going to drag out that dripfeed for as long as they possibly can.

If we end up getting Pokemon RBY and GSC announced later this month, I actually hope they are separate from NSO so we can get some QOL features like speed up. I tried playing Crystal a few years ago and dropped it because the game was simply too slow for me to play.
Yeah I got Yellow or whatever when they put it on the 3ds(?) and my god was it slow. I won't play the Gb/GBC games again unless there are QOL features. I just doubt that'll happen. Game Freak/TPC don't care.

I do feel the Genesis app will continue being it’s own beast, and I think NES/SNES are… well, those wells are dry, so my expectations there are extremely low

N64‘s still got probably a dozen or so solid, hype-able releases left, which is why I think we’ve seen their release cadence slow down a little. Unfortunately I think that’s a symptom of the source system’s library: the N64 just didn’t have that many games, let alone ones they could easily, cheaply clear for release on NSO.

But I do think Game Boy and Game Boy Advance are going to be goldmines for them. I could see GB getting games dropped 2 at a time (no one is going to cheer for Alleyway by itself lmao) but GBA is going to end up being THE NSO hype-generator going forward. That system is chock-full of gems, so they’re going to drag out that dripfeed for as long as they possibly can.
Hey if N64 roadmap 3 is just the missing rare games and the Goemon duology, I’d be plenty happy. Throw in Castlevania 64 and snowboard kids too

This should be an early update. Give us those hidden characters Nintendo!

1200px-MGGBC_Cover.png

The Game Boy Light filter honestly is my favorite, it's so much nicer than the spinach green tint. The limited color palletes of the GBC games just sorta seem like they're half-baked in a lot of games so I prefer just playing with the GB Light filter for a lot of the games. Damn we got screwed in the West not getting that version of the Game Boy huh?

I would be cool if Nintendo could get Saturn or Dreamcast for NSO next.

Game Boy
  • Super Mario Land
  • Qix
Game Boy Advance

• Car Battler Joe
  • ChuChu Rocket!
  • Drill Dozer
  • Game & Watch Gallery 4
  • Gunstar Super Heroes
  • Mario Party Advance
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  • Mega Man Zero 3
  • Mr. Driller 2
  • Ninja Five-O
  • Wario Land 4

I'd be glad if Lufia Ruins of Lore stays on the cutting room floor... but quite happy with Ninja Five-O

Hey if N64 roadmap 3 is just the missing rare games and the Goemon duology, I’d be plenty happy. Throw in Castlevania 64 and snowboard kids too
I don’t think we’d get ALL of the missing Rare games. I think DK64 is a lock and Diddy Kong Racing’s chances are pretty good, but I wouldn’t bet on any others coming. Goemon and Castlevania I can absolutely see happening, unless Konami wants to put them out some other way, though I doubt it because it’d be a much more expensive venture for them, so they’d probably rather just throw them at Nintendo for release.

Snowboard Kids was Atlus, right? So Sega. I could see Sega making that happen.

I wonder if/when we’d ever see Animal Forest on the Japanese app? Also Smash Bros?

I don’t think we’d get ALL of the missing Rare games. I think DK64 is a lock and Diddy Kong Racing’s chances are pretty good, but I wouldn’t bet on any others coming. Goemon and Castlevania I can absolutely see happening, unless Konami wants to put them out some other way, though I doubt it because it’d be a much more expensive venture for them, so they’d probably rather just throw them at Nintendo for release.

Snowboard Kids was Atlus, right? So Sega. I could see Sega making that happen.

I wonder if/when we’d ever see Animal Forest on the Japanese app? Also Smash Bros?
Oh I just meant DK64, and Diddy Kong racing. Maybe Jet force Gemini or Blast Corps. Yup SK is Atlus and we did get smt

Back
Top Bottom