• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News GB/GBC games coming to Nintendo Switch Online, GBA games coming to NSO Expansion Pack (out now!)

Where is my Donkey Kong 94 Nintendo.
Zelda oracles and Golden Sun are the first ones I want to play, unfortunately they are not part of the first batch

The eventual addition of Metroid Fusion (and of course Zero Mission) will mean the whole 2D Metroid saga is on Switch. A shame we won't have a remaster of Samus Returns, but the og 2 is there now.

The GB lineup isn't super exciting to me. I think part of the problem is that several games on there that I might want to replay have colourisation romhacks I'd want to try instead.

GBA on the other hand... Minish Cap and Superstar Saga is a great start!

This is where they Direct took off for me. Fling GBA games and Minish Cap is what I wanted the most! I’m so excited for Golden Sun and so much more. I think the OG Pokémon games will come too in a Pokémon Direct

I'm pleased GB and GBA have arrived, but as with NSO in general, I'm not impressed with Nintendo's execution.

1. I question the timing of the release so close to GB games being permanently removed from sale on 3DS. They've put themselves in the awkward spot of limiting sales om 3DS eshop and pissing off people that bought them close to closure.

2. 6 Gameboy Advance games at launch is really disappointing! It's like they've combined GB and GBA to reach a number they think is acceptable, but forgotten that they charge us all more money for the Expansion! Ten as a minimum isn't unreasonable.

3. Gameboy is also light on games with 9. Given the extensive amount of Gameboy games there are, and the amount they already have available on 3DS, this is pretty poor.

4. Why have they provided the option to swap between Gameboy, Pocket and Color but then only provided the version of Link's Awakening that is Color? Unless I'm missing something, I select Gameboy or Pocket and it still loads the Color version because this is DX.

Maybe im being picky? I think Nintendo are inviting the criticism when they insist on having no transparency around the NSO console releases.

These emulators are in top shape compared to where N64 was at launch (and still now frankly); especially in the online implementation. A+. A lot of cool things going on behind the scenes with both that really impress me.

The anemic launch lineups are a disapointment though; especially with how much ground both platforms have to cover. Hoping the new releases are relatively frequent and plentiful; because I don't think anybody will be excited to wait a year for Super Mario Land 1 or Qix.

Considering the oracle codes are like 6 characters long, just take a snapshot with the Switch's built in photo taker.

I do hope they work something out for GS TLA. I basically keep a clean carry over save in both my TLA cartridge and on my emulator boxes to not bother with that 19 page code.

Considering that the GBA NSO has link cable support? You don’t really need to use passwords.

I could see updates to these being pretty regular. Wouldn't surprise me if we now get 1 GBA game per month and N64 becomes less frequent.

I'm happy with the launch line up though I understand why people are frustrated - it's certainly lower than what I'd have guessed for launching the apps. But Super Mario Land 2 is a favourite of mine and it's short, which is convenient; Wario Land 3, Minish Cap and Superstar Saga are all meatier (especially the latter) so they'll keep me busy while we wait to see what sort of update schedule Nintendo has in mind.

Pleased to see the og/Pocket/Color filters on the GB app, too.

So I went ahead and looked at the list of GB and GBA Nintendo published games that were re-released on the NA Wii U and 3DS eShops

Game Boy:

Alleyway
Tetris
Radar Mission
Super Mario Land
Donkey Kong
Tennis
Kirby's Dream Land
Qix
Baseball
Game & Watch Gallery
Mario's Picross
Golf
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Double Dragon
Balloon Kid
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby's Pinball Land
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Mole Mania
Dr. Mario
Kirby's Star Stacker
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Revenge of the Gator
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
The Legend of Zelda's Link Awakening DX
Game & Watch Gallery 2
Game & Watch Gallery 3
Mario Golf
Wario Land 2
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Wario Land 3

Mario Tennis
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Pokemon Trading Card Game
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Crystal

Game Boy Advance:

Advance Wars
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Metroid Fusion
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Golden Sun

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Wario Land 4
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Super Mario Advance
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
DK: King of Swing
Mario Pinball Land
Fire Emblem
Mario Party Advance
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
F-Zero GP Legend
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Metroid: Zero Mission
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
Polarium Advance
Kuru Kuru Kururin
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Drill Dozer
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Obviously the ones already announced/released have been crossed out. Wonder how many of these will make the jump to NSO.

Speaking purely of the first party games, Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble is a newcomer as it was not previously released on the 3DS eShop.

That was a pretty cool announcement. Almost certainly means WarioWare Twisted and Yoshi Topsy Turvy will be coming. Hear me out on this Nintendo and Konami: Boktai with the right joycon IR sensor somehow working for the sunlight functionality (also, give us Ninja 5-0).
There's also just the regular light sensor built into the system for the auto brightness feature. Won't do you much good docked, but it'd be pretty good in handheld.

The eventual addition of Metroid Fusion (and of course Zero Mission) will mean the whole 2D Metroid saga is on Switch. A shame we won't have a remaster of Samus Returns, but the og 2 is there now.
If you have a hacked switch, you can get AM2R for it as a game that appears in your library like any other, and then the 2d saga is complete. Also, Switch is the best way to play that amazing game. And while I liked Samus Returns, AM2R is better. Actually feels like Metroid 2.

So I went ahead and looked at the list of GB and GBA Nintendo published games that were re-released on the NA Wii U and 3DS eShops

Game Boy:

Alleyway
Tetris
Radar Mission
Super Mario Land
Donkey Kong
Tennis
Kirby's Dream Land
Qix
Baseball
Game & Watch Gallery
Mario's Picross
Golf
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Double Dragon
Balloon Kid
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby's Pinball Land
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Mole Mania
Dr. Mario
Kirby's Star Stacker
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Revenge of the Gator
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
The Legend of Zelda's Link Awakening DX
Game & Watch Gallery 2
Game & Watch Gallery 3
Mario Golf
Wario Land 2
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Wario Land 3

Mario Tennis
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Pokemon Trading Card Game
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Crystal

Game Boy Advance:

Advance Wars
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Metroid Fusion
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Golden Sun

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Wario Land 4
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Super Mario Advance
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
DK: King of Swing
Mario Pinball Land
Fire Emblem
Mario Party Advance
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
F-Zero GP Legend
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Metroid: Zero Mission
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
Polarium Advance
Kuru Kuru Kururin
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Drill Dozer
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Obviously the ones already announced/released have been crossed out. Wonder how many of these will make the jump to NSO.

Speaking purely of the first party games, Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble is a newcomer as it was not previously released on the 3DS eShop.

Elite Forces feels like the most iffy one here solely down to third parties not being a consistent presence so far. Advance Wars and Red Rescue Team might be haulted by having remakes; but Link's Awakening DX proves it isn't an unavoidable hurdle.

Otherwise I think given enough time all of these will make it over, including some other games that missed out on virtual console last time.

Despite owning all of these games, I absolutely love this!

My one complaint so far though… I figured the NES controller would be perfect for Gameboy and it does feel great, but I can’t see a way to get to the game selection without a second controller 😢

I can't wait to 100% Metroid Fusion for the nth time. Fusion is my second favorite 2D Metroid (Dread first, Super third).

Despite owning all of these games, I absolutely love this!

My one complaint so far though… I figured the NES controller would be perfect for Gameboy and it does feel great, but I can’t see a way to get to the game selection without a second controller 😢
Ah I was worried they wouldn't adapt the controller for this. Hopefully they will down the line as it's got all the buttons you need, right? The SNES controller will probably be more comfortable but annoyingly still got 4.5 hours to go before I finish work and check all this out. 😭

Ah I was worried they wouldn't adapt the controller for this. Hopefully they will down the line as it's got all the buttons you need, right? The SNES controller will probably be more comfortable but annoyingly still got 4.5 hours to go before I finish work and check all this out. 😭
I’ll try the SNES one now and report back.

Also, once they get through the Game & Watch collections, will this put a version of most of the G&W games on Switch? They will be a nightmare to unlock but that’s pretty cool in the absence of an actual collection

It’s actually really weird. When I’m in the Gameboy app, and have the NES controller connected, no other controller is responsive so I can’t use my pro controller to act as the other buttons or return to the Home Screen. I wonder if this is a bug? Why would they lock you out of it otherwise?

Edit: SNES controller will let me get back to game selection in the GBA app, but still that odd home button issue

Edit: SNES Controller will also let you get back to game selection in GB app, but definitely not the NES controller

Last edited:
another thing about the light launch lineup is it also makes more sense if they plan on some Pokemon games being in that event later this month
I'm thinking that. Pokemon Presents to confirm patch and expansion plans, proper reveal (and release date?) for Detective Pikachu, and Pokemon titles on NSO.

MINISH CAP FINALLY! =D

Some of the other stuff was hilarious though - 2D Mario GBA ports, when we have those exact games on the SNES emu, and some of those are also on the NES emu? xD

These emulators are in top shape compared to where N64 was at launch (and still now frankly); especially in the online implementation. A+. A lot of cool things going on behind the scenes with both that really impress me.
Do you know if SGB is already fully emulated? IIRC, the option was there in the leaked builds, but it did nothing.

The anemic launch lineups are a disapointment though; especially with how much ground both platforms have to cover. Hoping the new releases are relatively frequent and plentiful; because I don't think anybody will be excited to wait a year for Super Mario Land 1 or Qix.
N64 is still a pain to emulate perfectly with fan emulators, no surprise Nintendo has struggled with it as well.

Been playing lots of Mario Kart Super Circuit tonight! I forgot how much I loved this game!

MINISH CAP FINALLY! =D

Some of the other stuff was hilarious though - 2D Mario GBA ports, when we have those exact games on the SNES emu, and some of those are also on the NES emu? xD
At least this should mean people get access to Four Swords through the GBA port of Link to the Past.

Do you know if SGB is already fully emulated? IIRC, the option was there in the leaked builds, but it did nothing.

The SGB boot rom is still in the files but it still doesn't appear to be emulated properly, no. I think DK'94 showing up will be the make or break moment for them ever implementing it; perhaps the game most think of first when it comes to SGB enhancements and borders.

I'm thinking that. Pokemon Presents to confirm patch and expansion plans, proper reveal (and release date?) for Detective Pikachu, and Pokemon titles on NSO.
This sounds right but I could also see another small Pokémon spinoff. Maybe Rumble from Creatures? Or continuing the nostalgia train Picross (Jupiter) or Panepon (IntSys) themed titles?

Since GB and GBA are out, it is very likely that in the Pokémon Presents at the end of February we will see something related to the classic games. The mystery is how they will do it, in my opinion I see 3 options:

1-They put them out for sale separately. I wouldn't see it as unreasonable because I understand that they are going to have more work than the rest of the NSO games, with compatibility with Home (they are not going to release main games without connectivity, and more so with the uncertain future of the 3DS online) and probably with Pokémon Stadium.

2-They are released within the GB and GBA applications themselves. It's the least likely thing I see because the applications have cloud save and save states, and we already know that the Pokémon games run away from that to avoid cloning and that kind of things. And I also highly doubt that they put R/B/Y and G/S/C in the basic subscription.

3-I've been thinking about it lately, maybe they'll launch an application (paid or within the expansion pack) only for the classic pokemon games. This way they solve the cloud saves and the save states as they can block them like they did on 3DS, the compatibility with Home and even with the Stadiums. Including it in the expansion pack I'm sure they would gain a lot of subscriptions and at the same time they would not be giving them "free" with the basic plan. I see this option more and more reasonable taking into account that Nintendo wants to boost the service, and this would be a great push.

I'm very curious to see how they resolves this, although there is also the possibility that they do not announce anything and we look like fools. Although being the first year in a while with no mainline releases to announce (supposedly) and GB/GBA fresh out of the oven, I see it more than safe.

My only issue with a potential gen 1-3 at the Pokemon Presents are that Nintendo has already shown off Stadium 1-2 are coming with "no gb connectivity", and already shown Pokemon TCG is coming to NSO. I would think if this is all building up to a great "here is how to connect NSO games to each other and to send mons to Pokemon Bank", we'd have seen nothing Pokemon related in any of the last few directs.

At the same time I fully acknowledge the lack of any mainline Pokemon is bizarre. If the plan was to just send gen 1-3 to be their own little isolated bubbles ala what Stadium 1-2 were initially announced, why not take throw at least 1 mainline Pokemon game into the reveal trailer for hype purposes. One way or another I hope we get clarity at the Pokemon Presents. I could see something like the Stadium games being isolated while gen 1-3 are confirmed to be getting a special eshop release with built in "connect to home" functionality built into those versions.

Attention please.

Everyone, play Gargoyle's Quest!

That is all. Thanks for your attention.

See Nintendo? That's how you make me upgrade my NSO subscription: by making awesome GBA games available.

But for now I hold off on upgrading because I am going to replay the epic masterpiece called Wario Land 3.

It’s actually really weird. When I’m in the Gameboy app, and have the NES controller connected, no other controller is responsive so I can’t use my pro controller to act as the other buttons or return to the Home Screen. I wonder if this is a bug? Why would they lock you out of it otherwise?

Edit: SNES controller will let me get back to game selection in the GBA app, but still that odd home button issue

Edit: SNES Controller will also let you get back to game selection in GB app, but definitely not the NES controller
Hope they can resolve and it's just an oversight as the D-pads on these controlelrs are among the best on the Switch. Thanks for checking it out.

There's also just the regular light sensor built into the system for the auto brightness feature. Won't do you much good docked, but it'd be pretty good in handheld.
Lol, that would be much easier. Not sure how they would program something like that, but probably wouldn’t be too difficult. No matter what, let’s hope Konami is a contributor to the service.

If they released Tetris, I guess that means we could see The New Tetris and Tetrisphere on the N64 service, which I wasn't sure of after they gave us Panel de Pon instead of Tetris Attack.

Elite Forces feels like the most iffy one here solely down to third parties not being a consistent presence so far. Advance Wars and Red Rescue Team might be haulted by having remakes; but Link's Awakening DX proves it isn't an unavoidable hurdle.

Otherwise I think given enough time all of these will make it over, including some other games that missed out on virtual console last time.
I think there weren't a lot of first party GB or GBA games that weren't on the VC that didn't have some kind of licensing issue (that they may or may not solve now). The biggest ones that are not confirmed for this yet probably were the Pokémon GBA games, WarioWare Twisted, that weird Yoshi tilt game, a Tower game that Sega published outside of Japan instead of Nintendo and I guess OG Wave Racer.

Really happy to see GB and GBA at last!

There's one worry I have though: Given that we're getting the Zelda Oracle games, is there still a chance we get those remade in LA style? It'd be a shame not to have those imo

Really happy to see GB and GBA at last!

There's one worry I have though: Given that we're getting the Zelda Oracle games, is there still a chance we get those remade in LA style? It'd be a shame not to have those imo
I don't think them being on NSO precludes them from being remade, but I would guess it won't be the next 2D game simply because of proximity.

It will probably either be a new one, or a remake of Link to the Past or Link Between Worlds.

1. I question the timing of the release so close to GB games being permanently removed from sale on 3DS. They've put themselves in the awkward spot of limiting sales om 3DS eshop and pissing off people that bought them close to closure.

Yep, that's me. Kind of a jerk move tbh, but could be worse. If they announced this after the 3DS eshop shutdown, I would have bought even more stuff.

Great that we're finally getting GB/GBA, but I'm a little disappointed in the game selection. Mario Land 2, but not Mario Land? Yeah, Mario Land 2 is way better than the first game, but still. Wario Land 3, but not 1 and 2?

It doesn't affect me too much because all the missing games I would want, I already have on 3DS. But the idea of more dripfeeding, this time for Game Boy games, isn't very exciting. They showed what, four upcoming games for GB and five, six? for GBA. If that's spread out over this year, that's like, a GBA game every two months and a GB game every three months.

If they released Tetris, I guess that means we could see The New Tetris and Tetrisphere on the N64 service, which I wasn't sure of after they gave us Panel de Pon instead of Tetris Attack.
I believe Nintendo fully owns the rights to the GB version of Tetris, meanwhile Tetris Attack would need to relicense the Tetris name. Makes sense to go with Panel De Pon since the license for that will never expire or need to be renegotiated.

Great that we're finally getting GB/GBA, but I'm a little disappointed in the game selection. Mario Land 2, but not Mario Land? Yeah, Mario Land 2 is way better than the first game, but still. Wario Land 3, but not 1 and 2?

It doesn't affect me too much because all the missing games I would want, I already have on 3DS. But the idea of more dripfeeding, this time for Game Boy games, isn't very exciting. They showed what, four upcoming games for GB and five, six? for GBA. If that's spread out over this year, that's like, a GBA game every two months and a GB game every three months.

I think the announced releases are scheduled through the summer, which is also when the current batch of N64 games end. Since I feel confident we'll get a summer direct detailing second half 2023 software, we'll probably see an NSO update with new games coming to N64, GB/C, and GBA through the end of 2023.

As for why those specific games? 🤷‍♀️ in 18 months what was on the service at launch won't really matter

If we end up getting Pokemon RBY and GSC announced later this month, I actually hope they are separate from NSO so we can get some QOL features like speed up. I tried playing Crystal a few years ago and dropped it because the game was simply too slow for me to play.

Are there any possible consoles to be added for NSO? It feels like the console choices are already enough but who knows? For Nintendo's end, wonder if there could be GC or even DS ones. For SEGA, maybe Game Gear/Master System?

Thank you for reading.

I think this is it for new systems until the next system is revealed (this is assuming that the next system is out by March 2024). Nintendo will spend the next year plus fleshing out the system.

If I had to guess, DS would be next with SEGA consoles being a maybe. Gamecube feels like a few years out at best. A lot of remasters from that generation (both 1st party and otherwise) are coming down the pipeline already.

I think this is it for new systems until the next system is revealed (this is assuming that the next system is out by March 2024). Nintendo will spend the next year plus fleshing out the system.

If I had to guess, DS would be next with SEGA consoles being a maybe. Gamecube feels like a few years out at best. A lot of remasters from that generation (both 1st party and otherwise) are coming down the pipeline already.
GC would probably need a different structure. One GC game takes up more space then the NES, SNES, N64, GB/C, GBA, and Genesis libraries combined. I don't just mean what's on NSO, I mean the entire library for all 6/7 consoles (if you count gbc separately or not) is smaller then your average GC even after you strip the dummy data out.

If we end up getting Pokemon RBY and GSC announced later this month, I actually hope they are separate from NSO so we can get some QOL features like speed up. I tried playing Crystal a few years ago and dropped it because the game was simply too slow for me to play.

You are not kidding. I remember playing Red when it first came to 3DS thinking "how the heck did we get through this as kids?" I guess it helps having nothing better to do in our youth lol.

GC would probably need a different structure. One GC game takes up more space then the NES, SNES, N64, GB/C, GBA, and Genesis libraries combined. I don't just mean what's on NSO, I mean the entire library for all 6/7 consoles (if you count gbc separately or not) is smaller then your average GC even after you strip the dummy data out.

That is a very good point.

Back
Top Bottom