• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Gaming Repair - Share your trials and tribulations

Pronouns
He/Him/His
I wanted to make a thread to share stories, tips, resources, and advice for repairing games and consoles. My own recent experience below is pretty basic, which I hope will encourage everyone to share even the most basic of experiences! If this thread gets some traction, I'll try to convert this OP into a resource hub.

I decided in the last week to take the plunge and replace the batteries in my old Pokemon cartridges. Perhaps surprisingly, my gold and crystal carts have been dead for several years, but my original blue cart is still going strong. I'm sure it can't be far behind.

I didn't have the first clue about how to do any of this, other than that I needed special screwdrivers. Turns out it is (relatively) inexpensive. The most popular battery package on amazon actually comes with the screwdrivers. Other than that I just needed a soldering iron and some solder. I also bought a solder pump to try to clean things up, but I'm not sure how helpful it actually was. I've never soldered before, but it was generally pretty easy. I just threw down some parchment paper over an old book as a base and did it all on my kitchen table.

I did have one problem though, I initially put the battery in backward (positive to positive). I was so disappointed when it didn't work, but figured it out looking up a how to video. Now I've got Pokemon Gold and Crystal back in action.

I also took my old GBA apart because my start and select weren't working. That also took a special screwdriver. Really just gave that a good cleaning, but taking it apart was probably the scariest part, because I don't know how I would replace it for the special features in my gamecube games. Got it looking pretty good though! Some of the button pads are starting to get tears in them, but cleaning everything got start and select working again. The only trouble spot was the speaker "grill" which I couldn't get to come clean even with a good scrubbing. The dirt of an entire childhood's worth of pockets crammed in there.

The tools and a pretty large pack of Gameboy batteries so far were all about 30 bucks, and that's with buying two of most of the screwdrivers by accident. My next goals are to try to replace the battery in my GBA Pokemon games, and try to figure out how to replace the battery in my Gamecube that recently died. I hear that the latter is a pretty complicated, but if all else fails I have my wii to fall back on. These experiences have actually been pretty empowering, so now I have the confidence to really screw something up ;D.

What stories do you all have? Any advice for upcoming projects?

I learnt my lesson of not fixing any video game related thing after I saw some tutorial of how "easy" was to change the batteries of GBC/GBA and burning the board when trying to desolder it.

I tend to do repairs myself, and i've taken a few requests from my clients (i do computer repairing for a living, console repair is something i usually do for myself)

Can't say i have any particular horror stories to share, but i hate Sony controllers with a passion. They're internally fragile, and the DS4 in particular seems to be designed to make it scary to open it (it uses tabs to keep the shell joined, meaning that one wrong pull and the controller will never feel the same again)

Upgrading my then GBA was an interesting adventure though. I had never done any soldering and in fact i didn't intend to, but ended up getting a solder and spending an ungodly amount of time practicing, investing almost a 50% more in a cheap soldering station+materials+practice PCB than what i had spent on the backlit screen.

All for one single solder point.

And after all that practice i still managed to fuck up my XenoGC installation, wich i never managed to revert, and after wich i don't know how the console still managed to boot at all.

I'm not doing any more soldering for now, and regarding consoles i'm mostly replacing parts and installing mods. I've become particularly proficient at handling joycons, people love dem Extremerate cases.

Stuff I've done in the last few months:

Jailbreaked my Wii, PSP and 3DS.

Backed up my entire 360, Wii, GC, DS, PS3, PS2, PS1 and PSP physical collection. Somewhere around 2.3TB/450 games total so far. Still need to do 3DS, original Xbox, Vita, Wii U and tv/movie dvd blurays.

Backed up my GB/GBA collection and surviving save files. Pokemon Red, Yellow, Silver, Gold. Crystal all had dead batteries. I have no idea how to solder so I'll be sticking to emulators. Blue somehow still had my 24+ year old save intact.

Removed the batteries from my original Sixaxis and two very old Dualshock 3 controllers. I was worried they could be turning into spicy pillows due to age but they were all fine looking. My GBA SP and PSP batteries started expanding years ago.

I had no experience soldering before swapping the batteries, but didn't find it terribly difficult. I was a little worried about melting the board or someting, but the solder iron I got had a temperature control, and on the lowest setting it didn't seem to cause any immediate problems.

I've always been interested in backing up my games and DVD/blu-rays, but I don't know where to start with that. I imagine I need to get some special hardware?

I tried to service my PS2 last year by swapping out the laser and while I wasn't successful in getting it to boot PS1 discs faster (can take up to 3 minutes last I tried while PS2 discs are closer to 1 minute) I did learn more about how the drive tray works and greased the hell out of it which reduced the horrible grinding noise it was making. I also learned of a neat little used games store about 30-45 minutes (or more depending on traffic / time of the year) which will do a bunch of repair work. They also weren't able to make any progress with the boot times, they seem cool and I may use them in the future for battery replacements and optical disc repairs if it makes more sense than investing in it myself. I think in both cases I need to sit down and take an inventory of what I have that needs fixing, and which items I actually want to fix.

Next repair job I need to do is to figure out how to replace the plastic feet on my SNES. One of them melted years ago and it's still a gooey mess. Not sure if it's because it's that type of plastic that starts to melt when it gets old or if the media center got too warm one day. Haven't had a whole lot of luck on sourcing a replacement pad so I may just look into a set of adhesive furniture pads and slap that on the bottom once I figure out how to remove the feet.

I'm smart enough to know that I don't know how to service my electronics myself and I'm better off paying someone else.

Signed,

Someone that once shorted a PC motherboard while swapping out a bad floppy disk drive.

Back
Top Bottom