• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club GameFreak is the best and most talented Nintendo developer

Kartina

THE PROCESS WON
Pronouns
He/him
Yeah I know what you're thinking: this is just bait.
But after the recent pokemon presents I want to give props to the most valuable and talented nintendo partner and switch developer: GameFreak.
And I'll prove to you why that is with FACTS.

Let's start by showing the amazing output of game freak in the span of 7 years:
2016 with pokemon S/M selling 16.28 mil.
2017 with pokemon Ultra S/M with 9.09 mil.
2018 with pokemon let's go Pikachu and Eevee with 14.66 mil.
2019 with their magnum opus Pokemon Sword and Shield with 24.50 mil copies sold (outselling even pokemon G/S and becoming the second best selling entry in the franchise
2020 with the DLC of Sword and Shield by many considered even better than the base game.
2021 with the remake of Pokemon diamond and pearl with 14.79 mil (not gamefreak but that's the point, they're a team so smart that they don't waste their time with remakes like other teams that spread themselves thin with ports and remakes).
And of course 2022 with 2 huge games: pokemon legends arceus with 12.64 mil and of course pokemon scarlett and violet which are looking to take the world by storm when it releases this november.

That's 7 games plus DLC in 7 years, all successful and critically acclaimed witho metascore all on the 80s and more.
Compare this to other teams like epd tokyo who made 1 game and a enhanced port in 7 years, epd 3 with just one game + dlc and a port, Next level games with only 3 game in 7 years (and one of them was metroid federation force what a disgrace) or even monolith soft by many loved here in 7 years only made 2 games 1 expansion and 1 remake.
Only one team beats game freak int terms of output and that's epd4 with 12 different games released in 6 years plus a remake/port, but they can't compete with the success that gamefreak's output, their biggest hit (ring fit adventure) sells on par with all other gamefreaks games and the rest only sells 1mil+ copies with fex exceptions. With a combined 91.96+ mil copies sold in 7 years gamefreak is virtually untouchable.

Now you may say that sell numbers are not the only important things and that quality is what's king but that's the point, gamefreak delivers both on quantity and quality.
Let's look back at other games made by the acclaimed studios of nintendo:
Epd 3's breath of the wild with a 97 on metacritic
Epd tokyo's mario odyssey and 3d world + bowser fury with a 97 and 89 on metacritic
Epd 5 with animal crossing new horizons with 90 on metacritic.
All great games that scored more than game freak's games (with it's highest score being sun and moon with 87 on MC);
BUT if you add up all the scores of the pokemon games released by game freaks you can see the true picture:
With a full metacritic score of 562 game freaks dwarfs all other nintendo's studios output in quality, like epd 3's measly 259 metascore or epd tokyo's 186 or NLG's 223.
Even the beloved monolith soft can only hit a power level of 344 with much less successful games than game freak.

So now that I've statistically proved that game freak is the best and most talented nintendo developer in everyway I can finally make my final point:
Monolith soft sucks and they should give the xenoblade ip to gamefreak so that we'll finally have good xenoblade games. Thanks for reading.

I'm sorry

Last edited:
GameFreak are an incredibly talented and well-run developer, but they are too risk adverse to be in the elite tier alongside Nintendo EPD imo.

1. Mario/Zelda EPD
2. GameFreak
3. Team Sakurai
4=. MonolithSoft
4=. Non-Mario/Zelda EPD
6. Intelligent Systems
7. Next-Level Games
8. Retro

imo.

Last edited:
most bewildering misspelling of HAL I've ever seen
they're close but most of their output is just small digital game, without them they have a power level of 296, good but nothing spectacular like game freak.

You're aware that technically Gamefreak is a third party developer?

Oh and while we're at it, so if Intelligent Systems. That one though has the "unique" condition that basically everything they do is either a Nintendo IP fully owned by Nintendo, or co-owned (Fire Emblem).

You're aware that technically Gamefreak is a third party developer?

Oh and while we're at it, so if Intelligent Systems. That one though has the "unique" condition that basically everything they do is either a Nintendo IP fully owned by Nintendo, or co-owned (Fire Emblem).
Yeah that's why I wrote switch developer on the post, I guess I should change the title too but I think people understand what I'm trying to say.

GameFreak are an incredibly talented and well-run developer, but they are too risk adverse to be in the elite tier alongside Nintendo EPD imo.

1. Mario/Zelda EPD
2. GameFreak
3. Team Sakurai
4=. MonolithSoft
4=. Non-Mario/Zelda EPD
6. Intelligent Systems
7. Next-Level Games
8. Retro

imo.
how can you talk about risk aversion and throw most of EPD in the trash

1. Mario/Zelda EPD
2. GameFreak
3. Team Sakurai
4=. MonolithSoft
4=. Non-Mario/Zelda EPD
6. Intelligent Systems
7. Next-Level Games
8. Retro

imo.
Come on you put Retro studios which in the past 7 years have still to make a new game. They literally have a metacritic score of 0 if you don't count ports.

Not even close, the graphical quality of their games is an actual embarrassment and they spent sooo long with zero innovation.
The list ahead of them is long.

In all seriousness I don't think they get enough credit for their efficiency. Since the Switch launched, they've released Let's Go, Sword/Shield (+ expansion), Legends, and now Scarlet/Violet. If you want to count PokƩmon Quest, there's also that. And yeah, none of these are as critically acclaimed as what EPD tends to produce internally, but having all these games to choose from on the platform is quite nice. And each of them is pretty distinct from the others too. Meanwhile we're still waiting for the sequel to launch title Breath of the Wild.

Kartina going for that shitposting crown.
d2d44207d11100281ab4f9677eeecf2865359bb1546bbce43ae211d45c28575a_1.jpg

In all seriousness I don't think they get enough credit for their efficiency. Since the Switch launched, they've released Let's Go, Sword/Shield (+ expansion), Legends, and now Scarlet/Violet. If you want to count PokƩmon Quest, there's also that. And yeah, none of these are as critically acclaimed as what EPD tends to produce internally, but having all these games to choose from on the platform is quite nice. And each of them is pretty distinct from the others too. Meanwhile we're still waiting for the sequel to launch title Breath of the Wild.
Yes but their latest game looks like this

yfj12ptgro881.jpg

Compare it with 5 year old BOTW. It's easier to churn out games with such low effort in the visuals.

If we're adding up metascores to determine power levels then I'm sure there are plenty of shovelware devs out there that put them to shame

most bewildering misspelling of HAL I've ever seen
No lies detected

Pokemon is basically another Dragon Quest clone made by former Mother 1/2 staffers. Of course it's going to be risk-averse, they're just following Enix's lead.

I'm half-joking here

Not even close, the graphical quality of their games is an actual embarrassment and they spent sooo long with zero innovation.
The list ahead of them is long.

Never understood the "embarrassment" comment that gets overused.

Embarrassing for who exactly? I feel when people say this they just feel embarrassed for themselves and need to look deep in their soul, because trust me, the devs are doing just fine lol

They are not graphical power-hitters and don't need to be tech wise. Their art direction is top notch, which aids to why Pokemon endures while other good monster catching games have not. Yokai Watch had great art direction and had an honest chance to exist side by side as a quality alternative... but Level 5 self sabotage comes knocking again.

I think it's a bit dismissive. Not the most technically impressive game, but Sun and Moon were downright gorgeous games on the 3DS. And that is due to playing to their strengths. X/Y and Sun/Moon brought many innovations to the series, and while it was very different than their "Gen Titles", Arceus got real experimental and it was lovely.

Compare it with 5 year old BOTW. It's easier to churn out games with such low effort in the visuals.

This comes off as lazy dev rhetoric. Again, technical proneness is not their strong suit, and never has been, but their art direction is awesome.

Anyway.

Yes, big way to misspell HAL! Also a shout out to Good Feel, that Wooly World and Monkey Barrels really showcased their ability to nail awesome gameplay mechanics.

If anyone seriously doubts the quality and talent of GameFreak they must be either crazy, or they just hate Pokemon for some reason.

If you value games based on how many hours of fun they give, GameFreak is surely one of the greatest developers of all time.

yfj12ptgro881.jpg

Lmao i always think the trees criticism really got to gf, its the one thing i think looks amazing in the pokemon games

Come on you put Retro studios which in the past 7 years have still to make a new game. They literally have a metacritic score of 0 if you don't count ports.

You're complaining that I put them at the bottom of the list, for the reasons you described?

If anyone seriously doubts the quality and talent of GameFreak they must be either crazy, or they just hate Pokemon for some reason.

If you value games based on how many hours of fun they give, GameFreak is surely one of the greatest developers of all time.
Sword&Shield's story could be finished in just a few hours and I would argue that the "story" itself just ends halfway.

Never understood the "embarrassment" comment that gets overused.

Embarrassing for who exactly? I feel when people say this they just feel embarrassed for themselves and need to look deep in their soul, because trust me, the devs are doing just fine lol
I think it's valid in this case, it's not just that their games don't look particularly good, they wouldn't impress several generations before. It's usually hyperbole but in this case it's actually true. It's crazy that such huge selling games with no budget issues look that bad. Nintendo has a load of developers that put out amazingly designed games that are also beautiful and technically great. For me, monolithsoft are many years ahead.

If you're gonna count BDSP for Game Freak then you should also count BotW, Splatoon 2, and AC:NH for Monolith Soft

This comes off as lazy dev rhetoric. Again, technical proneness is not their strong suit, and never has been, but their art direction is awesome.

to be fair that's something you can hire for they just choose not to

it's not like they couldn't afford to do so if they wanted to, as this thread points out their games sell tens of millions of copies

I do agree gf posts are always going to become gf bashing posts no matter what, but i think its kinda inevitable. One thing leads to another and boom.

how can you talk about risk aversion and throw most of EPD in the trash

Nintendo tend to take the most risk via their flagship IP. Mainline Zelda games will get lengthy development cycles and be transformed by new artstyles and ideas, whereas games such as Pikmin 3, Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Mario Kart tend to be more iterative. If EPD do make brand new IP (for example, ARMS), they often tend to be small-scale, low budget projects. The original Splatoon is the main exception in recent years.

I mean there're other teams that are not on the list you made so you're putting retro over them.
Yes, support studios such as 1-UP, or teams just generally not worth mentioning (although, that said, if I'd remembered to include HAL they'd also rank above Retro).

I think it's valid in this case, it's not just that their games don't look particularly good, they wouldn't impress several generations before. It's usually hyperbole but in this case it's actually true. It's crazy that such huge selling games with no budget issues look that bad. Nintendo has a load of developers that put out amazingly designed games that are also beautiful and technically great. For me, monolithsoft are many years ahead.
You cannot compare them. They are different studios. Different priorities, and different budgets, etc, etc.

In GF's case, their art direction carries them a lot. And for a game like Pokemon, art direction is most important (outside of gameplay of course). Again, look at Sun and Moon. Not a technical marvel for the 3DS, but you look at the design, use of color, art style... it makes the game really pop and unique.

I disagree on the art direction thing, it certainly looks good but without the technical part it isnt enough imo.

Nintendo tend to take the most risk via their flagship IP. Mainline Zelda games will get lengthy development cycles and be transformed by new artstyles and ideas, whereas games such as Pikmin 3, Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Mario Kart tend to be more iterative. If EPD do make brand new IP (for example, ARMS), they often tend to be small-scale, low budget projects. The original Splatoon is the main exception.

Yes, support studios such as 1-UP, or teams just generally not worth mentioning (although, that said, if I'd remembered to include HAL they'd also rank above Retro).
ah now I understand, it's just you forgot a lot of different teams so I thought you had them lower than retro studios like HAL or camelot or good feel or ndcube or grezzo.

Fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has released unfinished graphically underwhelming games with a solid gameplay loop 10,000 times.

You cannot compare them. They are different studios. Different priorities, and different budgets, etc, etc.

In GF's case, their art direction carries them a lot. And for a game like Pokemon, art direction is most important (outside of gameplay of course). Again, look at Sun and Moon. Not a technical marvel for the 3DS, but you look at the design, use of color, art style... it makes the game really pop and unique.
Sorry, I respectfully disagree, we don't know their budgets but their games are huge sellers and high profile, it would be strange if they had lower budgets than for say, Xenoblade games. What are the different priorities? Good art direction doesn't mean it's ok for a game to look technically horrendous. There are many examples Mario Kart 8, BOTW, Xenoblade,Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain etc.
Just because the GF games are good doesn't mean they should get a free pass, the visuals put me off.

Zynga disagrees with your thread premise. I mean no biggie.... they only made the best game ever....

Farmville

I mean i'm talking about Nintendo here.
I also don't know how high their metacritic power level is.
But Zynga is too good not to mention them. Sorry its just true. And I bet you know it too.

NERD wins easily when you take into account the games on NSO.
That's a great point but NES and SNES don't have metacritic scores.
They also lose in the sales department since it only counts the nso subscribers as sales.

I don't think anyone is doubting that they have the skillset it's their business tactics

I'll give you that Pokemon Scarlet is the first mainline pokemon game I am really excited about in a decade or so (Arceus came really close) and it looks like this time they actually tried to make it different / fun. Having said that their business tactic has been keep the same recipe almost unchanged for almost 20 years with a gimmick here and there - and they didn't exactly throw the best budget for making them top notch and polished.

They did make Slowpoke, Porygon, Sylveon, and many of the other all time greats, so Game Freak is definitely up there.

Sorry, I respectfully disagree, we don't know their budgets but their games are huge sellers and high profile, it would be strange if they had lower budgets than for say, Xenoblade games. What are the different priorities? Good art direction doesn't mean it's ok for a game to look technically horrendous. There are many examples Mario Kart 8, BOTW, Xenoblade,Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain etc.
Just because the GF games are good doesn't mean they should get a free pass, the visuals put me off.
I feel it's.... hyperbole. And the games selling so much does mean that they have this huge budget.

With your stellar use of bullet proff math, I'm gonna do the same.

89 - Xenoblade Chronicles DE
83 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2
81 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna
89 - Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Support:
97 - Breath of the Wild
83 - Splatoon 2
90 - Animal Crossing

A massive 784 meta, and a half decent 84M in sales in 5,5 years

Monolith Soft is the best Nintendo Developer - confirmed.

With your stellar use of bullet proff math, I'm gonna do the same.

89 - Xenoblade Chronicles DE
83 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2
81 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna
89 - Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Support:
97 - Breath of the Wild
83 - Splatoon 2
90 - Animal Crossing

A massive 784 meta, and a half decent 84M in sales in 5,5 years

Monolith Soft is the best Nintendo Developer - confirmed.
I don't agree
They didn't make most of them
So they deserve only a quarter of the score.

Back
Top Bottom