• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Game-related jargon/terms that you dislike?

Anti-consumer. There are very few instances where this term is actually applicable, rather than just being used for “thing I don’t like”.

I saw this term getting used a lot when Nintendo announced Skyward Sword would be full price ($60).

Nintendo charges the highest premium prices possible, because they know their audience will pay those prices.

Is it "anti-consumer" or do they simply understand their consumer's spending habits?

"Gamer"
It sounds so condescending no matter the context.
It also has no actual meaning. What qualifies a gamer. At what level do you stop simply enjoying games and become a gamer?

"Gamer" i hate that term, for me it's a loaded term that not only includes someone who is a videogame enthusiast but all the Toxicity the gamer culture brings. But that's me.
That term, I feel, will slowly vanish as playing games becomes a more accepted and widespread activity. The pandemic normalized playing games a lot, even to the point that a lot of elderly people got into games.

In the future there probably will be a better term for describing game enthusiasts, since gamer has a lot of negative connotations. I really appreciate something like foodie or even movie buff, because you associate those 'titles' with true and sincere passion. 'Gamer' culture, on the other hand, considers completely normal and acceptable to trash entire genres and games without even knowing what they are about (see: Smash community). That's probably the reason why people who consider themselves 'game enthusiasts' feel disgusted and alienated by the term 'gamer'. The word simply has a trashy and ignorant energy which a lot of people don't want to associate with.

It also doesn't help a lot that the word has been excessively commercialized for almost a decade.

Do you mean "ludonarrative dissonance"? If so, yeah, not a term I'm too eager to hear either.
Thats it! I hated that. It was everywhere. Sounded like someone trying to sound smart everytime it got used.

I saw this term getting used a lot when Nintendo announced Skyward Sword would be full price ($60).

Nintendo charges the highest premium prices possible, because they know their audience will pay those prices.

Is it "anti-consumer" or do they simply understand their consumer's spending habits?
Bingo. That always drives me nuts. Goods are worth what people pay for them. Same as when people complain about a game not falling in price after time. If people keep buying it, why would Nintendo lower the price? There isn’t a forced depreciation as a game ages like a car.

Back
Top Bottom