• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I know this might be unrelated but I hope Nintendo pushes both Creative Assembly and Paradox to put their games on Drake :p (and FM I don't want the mobile version from Sports Interactive)
Is the only Western support I need (of course I hope more western support comes so more people can enjoy their titles)

I know this might be unrelated but I hope Nintendo pushes both Creative Assembly and Paradox to put their games on Drake :p (and FM I don't want the mobile version from Sports Interactive)
Is the only Western support I need (of course I hope more western support comes so more people can enjoy their titles)
well, it's a lot easier for a multiplayer shooter to come to Drake than Total War

I believe Paradox devs once said Switch wouldn't handle Stellaris and they might consider an exclusive port if Switch Pro is real. Let's see if they'll keep their promise.

well, it's a lot easier for a multiplayer shooter to come to Drake than Total War
I understand it probably is really hard to port Total War to consoles but I would love it , it is the only reason why I’m considering a Steam deck lol but only for one franchise it isn’t enough to justify buying (Total War + Paradox games but Paradox games might come to Drake)

I believe Paradox devs once said Switch wouldn't handle Stellaris and they might consider an exclusive port if Switch Pro is real. Let's see if they'll keep their promise.
They said nothing of the sort.

In response to a question about bringing the game to Switch, the Paradox Interactive said it could happen, they will reevaluate after the console launch, but they can't promise anything.

I'm seeing this tweet for the first time. This wasn't what I was talking about, they said Switch can't run Stellaris as a response to a reddit ama question.
Stellaris would not run on the Switch because it’s performance on consoles is the result of hardware limitations
This is the only thing I could find of that ama which is another user talking about the answer given by Paradox. They make no mention of making an exclusive game to the Drake nor can I find it any other way through search. If this was something said then it should’ve appeared in one form or another either through Nintendo content creators or other games news channels.

This is the only thing I could find of that ama which is another user talking about the answer given by Paradox. They make no mention of making an exclusive game to the Drake nor can I find it any other way through search. If this was something said then it should’ve appeared in one form or another either through Nintendo content creators or other games news channels.
Is there link for that? Yes that's the answer I was talking about, that's the correct ama. Did they... edit that?

Is there link for that? Yes that's the answer I was talking about, that's the correct ama. Did they... edit that?
It doesn’t come from the ama itself. But from the Stellaris subreddit in a thread asking about Stellaris on Switch and why it couldn’t be done using other Paradox games as examples. Another user paraphrased why from the ama your talking about. Here is the full quote from that user.
No.

The reasons they thought it was impossible for each game are wildly different. Outer Wilds was thought to not be able to run on the Switch because its performance on consoles was the result of bad coding. Stellaris would not run on the Switch because it’s performance on consoles is the result of hardware limitations

It doesn’t come from the ama itself. But from the Stellaris subreddit in a thread asking about Stellaris on Switch and why it couldn’t be done using other Paradox games as examples. Another user paraphrased why from the ama your talking about. Here is the full quote from that user.
Yeah, sounds like it but that's not it. Paradox has a official reddit account and they hold amas pretty often. This was on r/paradoxplaza subreddit iirc, but I can't find the specific ama.

Yeah, sounds like it but that's not it. Paradox has a official reddit account and they hold amas pretty often. This was on r/paradoxplaza subreddit iirc, but I can't find the specific ama.
I’ve tried looking for using specific keywords but to no avail. I still think someone would have reported it or at least parroted it after that ama since it would be a noteworthy release for any future device.

Paradox strategy games UI and usability on the screen and for controllers seems like it would need pretty large considerations too.

Not to mention all the simulation stuff seems like it may be pretty taxing in different ways to the other miracle ports we've gotten.

Though I think victoria 3's launch might be interesting to watch for this. They usually support macOS so if they make a native arm version I wonder if that would be beneficial for potential switch versions later, or just irrelevant entirely .

I had a dream where I watched a reveal trailer for the new Switch and it was incredible. I can attest that it's worth the wait.

I actually also had a dream where the new Switch was announced and it was terrifying. It was the size of an iPad Pro (the large one), except the back jutted out a bit like an old CRT. The joy-cons were still there as tiny little flaps only occupying around 1/3 of the total height. Also there were extra little joysticks behind the joy-cons. Please no questions I don't have answers.

Can't believe I held off on the OLED for so long, made me get back into gaming in handheld mode

That screen is really outstanding.

Thanks to Nintendo I'm now almost guaranteed to buy an OLED TV or similar by end of the year.

That data is inconclusive so I think we can all only give our estimated guesses. Nintendo is a very locked down company in terms of information and leaks. There is some "smoke" that would suggest within the next 9 or so months but I also feel like we thought this before so it's extremely hard to gauge. My best guess is that new hardware will launch with the sequel of Breath of the Wild next year. However if that ends up NOT being the case then I really would suggest hardware could be 2024+ an onward. Nintendo put so much time and resources into the next Zelda that if they completely launch it only on the original Switch then that would highly suggest to me that the next hardware is still years out which I hope is not the case. Bottom line is, no one can really offer anything more right now then their best guess.
If hardware doesn't materialize by the end of 2023 (or likely even mid 2023), that would probably mean something pretty catastrophic has happened. Hardware release dates don't just slip easily. At that point, a cancellation would be likely.

If hardware doesn't materialize by the end of 2023 (or likely even mid 2023), that would probably mean something pretty catastrophic has happened. Hardware release dates don't just slip easily. At that point, a cancellation would be likely.

Either that or Nintendo never had any intent on releasing new hardware soon and the pieces of information like the raw material increase, insiders, Nvidia leaked code, etc really was just a whole lot of nothing in terms of evidence. I'm still thinking/hoping that new hardware will launch by next spring but at the same time a part of me realized that just like the previous four years, it could end up not happening.

Wouldn’t cancellation be even more catastrophic? Also Nintendo has delayed hardware multiple times before both at their peak (3DS delay) and at their worst (NX delay). I could see a scenario in which hardware was planned in the end to come late 23 but it got delayed to H1 24 and only announced in 24 before Nintendo’s FY ends. (Don’t think this will happen, it is a worst case scenario which needs a lot of ifs to happen)

I actually also had a dream where the new Switch was announced and it was terrifying. It was the size of an iPad Pro (the large one), except the back jutted out a bit like an old CRT. The joy-cons were still there as tiny little flaps only occupying around 1/3 of the total height. Also there were extra little joysticks behind the joy-cons. Please no questions I don't have answers.
Wait, I'm not the only one getting dreams about Switch Pro? Thank god.

Either that or Nintendo never had any intent on releasing new hardware soon and the pieces of information like the raw material increase, insiders, Nvidia leaked code, etc really was just a whole lot of nothing in terms of evidence. I'm still thinking/hoping that new hardware will launch by next spring but at the same time a part of me realized that just like the previous four years, it could end up not happening.
There really isn't an alternate explanation of the Nvidia leak. NVN is a Nintendo exclusive API. There is no other customer Nvidia could be building NVN2 for.
Wouldn’t cancellation be even more catastrophic? Also Nintendo has delayed hardware multiple times before both at their peak (3DS delay) and at their worst (NX delay). I could see a scenario in which hardware was planned in the end to come late 23 but it got delayed to H1 24 and only announced in 24 before Nintendo’s FY ends. (Don’t think this will happen, it is a worst case scenario which needs a lot of ifs to happen)
If late 2023 was the target, then it could be delayed a bit past that, but all signs currently point towards late 2022 as the target. It seems unlikely, but not impossible that the rumors would be off by that far.

There really isn't an alternate explanation of the Nvidia leak. NVN is a Nintendo exclusive API. There is no other customer Nvidia could be building NVN2 for.

If late 2023 was the target, then it could be delayed a bit past that, but all signs currently point towards late 2022 as the target. It seems unlikely, but not impossible that the rumors would be off by that far.

Yeah I mean it's no doubt referencing Nintendo but I don't think that's evidence of a 2022/2023 release either. In development? Absolutely. I still think 2023 is solid bet but it's kind of a coin toss for me. I feel like it could be 2023 or it could be later then that. I really don't know lol.

Yeah I mean it's no doubt referencing Nintendo but I don't think that's evidence of a 2022/2023 release either. In development? Absolutely. I still think 2023 is solid bet but it's kind of a coin toss for me. I feel like it could be 2023 or it could be later then that. I really don't know lol.
There is no direct evidence of release timeline, but what aspects of the timeline can be determined appears to match with what's been said by the sources saying the target was late 2022/early 2023.

That being said, the console's software being in serious development since 2020 and still being that far off would strike me as pretty odd. Overall console development can certainly take 4-5 years, but they probably had a pretty good idea of what this thing was going to be by the time they started building the drivers for it.

He said that it would release this year and that he speculated that the reveal would be in September, the September reveal thing was only his speculation.
Yes, I know the announcement month its his speculation, but its the only information we have, personally I think August is more likely if the new console is comming this year.

There is no direct evidence of release timeline, but what aspects of the timeline can be determined appears to match with what's been said by the sources saying the target was late 2022/early 2023.

That being said, the console's software being in serious development since 2020 and still being that far off would strike me as pretty odd. Overall console development can certainly take 4-5 years, but they probably had a pretty good idea of what this thing was going to be by the time they started building the drivers for it.

I generally don't include insider stuff into my speculation because their track records have been more wrong then right across the board. Nate has provided some accurate knowledge on select things so I'll give him some credit and I know he is of the opinion that Nintendo is targeting a late 2022/early 2023 launch but I remain skeptical. No disrespect to Nate of course. It's just not enough to convince me. We have had so many sources yearly for over 4 years claiming the Pro is around the corner so you'll have to forgive me for no longer believing in these sources.

Examining all aspects of Nintendo, current Switch sales, data, rumors, speculation, fans, Nintendo IP movement, etc I think there is a large amount of data backing up a possible hardware launch within the next 9 or so months but there is also a lot of data suggesting that Nintendo could afford to wait another year or two. Mostly due to the fact that the Switch is still a massive seller at full retail cost with no price cut.

I could go on bouncing pros and cons of launching new hardware from a business standpoint but I feel everyone is probably very tired and I don't blame anyone. I will wrap this up just saying that I want new hardware a lot, I hope we get it soon because 2024 or beyond feels like way to far off and I know personally speaking I will be extremely bummed out if I'm stuck playing BOTW 2 in 900p on my gorgeous 4K OLED tv. Same with other big titles that I imagine have to be coming soon. We are long overdo for so many Nintendo franchises to make a return that it's reaching surprising territory for me.

is that post paraphrasing the AMA answer or just offering his own opinion, i read it over a few times and it doesn't indicate it's an AMA answer. Maybe I'm missing something.

As for Paradox support being discussed earlier int his thread, the last game they put on Switch was 'surviving the aftermath' last year which is another RTS style strategy game , and before that Empire of Sin. Both games got middling reviews so not really huge properties, but Paradox tends to go with a shotgun approach to their games. They certainly appear to want to keep continue putting games they can on Switch

With COVID, I could buy that some serious disruption happened that made the hardware and/or software stack development take longer than it normally would. But with Nvidia doing development starting in 2019 or 2020, and devkits allegedly being sent around the end of 2020, there's currently no evidence of that, as the year of the pandemic that most affected businesses was apparently not an obstacle to the very significant step of getting external devkit/SDK releases out there. And even if there was some disruption we don't know about, mid or late 2023 is already a pretty extreme timeline for any console, let alone one which will likely be reusing a lot of aspects of the previous model.

With COVID, I could buy that some serious disruption happened that made the hardware and/or software stack development take longer than it normally would. But with Nvidia doing development starting in 2019 or 2020, and devkits allegedly being sent around the end of 2020, there's currently no evidence of that, as the year of the pandemic that most affected businesses was apparently not an obstacle to the very significant step of getting external devkit/SDK releases out there. And even if there was some disruption we don't know about, mid or late 2023 is already a pretty extreme timeline for any console, let alone one which will likely be reusing a lot of aspects of the previous model.
Not directly related to that, but with regards to the chip itself it would be really a super computer designing the chip. So it greatly reduces the need for a human to even interact or the amount needed for the job of developing it.

I generally don't include insider stuff into my speculation because their track records have been more wrong then right across the board. Nate has provided some accurate knowledge on select things so I'll give him some credit and I know he is of the opinion that Nintendo is targeting a late 2022/early 2023 launch but I remain skeptical. No disrespect to Nate of course. It's just not enough to convince me. We have had so many sources yearly for over 4 years claiming the Pro is around the corner so you'll have to forgive me for no longer believing in these sources.

Examining all aspects of Nintendo, current Switch sales, data, rumors, speculation, fans, Nintendo IP movement, etc I think there is a large amount of data backing up a possible hardware launch within the next 9 or so months but there is also a lot of data suggesting that Nintendo could afford to wait another year or two. Mostly due to the fact that the Switch is still a massive seller at full retail cost with no price cut.

I could go on bouncing pros and cons of launching new hardware from a business standpoint but I feel everyone is probably very tired and I don't blame anyone. I will wrap this up just saying that I want new hardware a lot, I hope we get it soon because 2024 or beyond feels like way to far off and I know personally speaking I will be extremely bummed out if I'm stuck playing BOTW 2 in 900p on my gorgeous 4K OLED tv. Same with other big titles that I imagine have to be coming soon. We are long overdo for so many Nintendo franchises to make a return that it's reaching surprising territory for me.
It's again worth pointing out that the reliable insiders have not been saying "pro is around the corner" for 4 years. I think 2020 was the first time this particular model was mentioned and no timeline was given.

There’s no definite answer as to whether it’ll come out in Late 2022 or Early 2023. However, there’s just no way that it slips into 2024. Not a chance. It’s been in the works for so long now. I would even go as far as to say that Late 2023 is unlikely.

So they can release Switch Drake OLED in 2024? Kidding, Nintendo is not THAT bad right?
Now honestly, Drake Lite (or whatever version they make to make it cheaper) will be a priority for them in 2024/2025 to have ready for the next mainline Pokemon releasing one of these two years

is that post paraphrasing the AMA answer or just offering his own opinion, i read it over a few times and it doesn't indicate it's an AMA answer. Maybe I'm missing something.

As for Paradox support being discussed earlier int his thread, the last game they put on Switch was 'surviving the aftermath' last year which is another RTS style strategy game , and before that Empire of Sin. Both games got middling reviews so not really huge properties, but Paradox tends to go with a shotgun approach to their games. They certainly appear to want to keep continue putting games they can on Switch
The quoted text right above the reddit thread looks like it, at least to me, referencing something that Paradox said. As they mention reasons given by Paradox for why Outer Wilds initially wasn’t coming & why Stellaris presumably isn’t.

Regardless I think it mute because I figure they would treat it like City: Skylines.

hey do we know any details on the body of the switch pro? like will it still have the wide kickstand and the oled screen?
I can't imagine why it would lose the wide kickstand simply because it innovates on improving stability in tabletop mode without adding to the bulk of the Switch, let alone cost, but if it drops the OLED screen I'd personally write off the new Switch. Extra power be damned if it means that there's gonna be yet another iteration of the enhanced Switch with a better display panel.

Would it actually be a hint to anything though? That game should come to current hardware + it was supposed to be released in 2021.
Could be a marketing deal with the new hardware, you get a lot more interest if you tout it as a launch game for new hardware even if it's also coming to older hardware.

Or it could be entirely unrelated.

Could be a marketing deal with the new hardware, you get a lot more interest if you tout it as a launch game for new hardware even if it's also coming to older hardware.

Or it could be entirely unrelated.
Two delays, each of a year, I doubt it would be related to Drake at all. If that's the case, the devs are probably crazy mad at Nintendo.

Remember how Zynga, developer of Star Wars Hunters, was one of the developers rumoured to have a Drake dev kit?

Game just got delayed to next year. 👀
*grabs megaphone*
But Kit and Krysta said
I'm just joking, I know they were mostly talking about the toxic twitter culture surrounding fake insider bullshit

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom