• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Two potential codenames have been found, "Muji" and "Ounce." Both are only referenced in one or two places each but they're referenced in the way "NX" was for Switch (as far as I understand). We don't have any real confirmation that either is the "real" codename or if one or the other is a sort of placeholder, but some users are going real hard on picking a camp, some are skeptical of one or the other, some are skeptical of both.

Overall we do not know. Just possibilities at this point.
Muji is referenced in a similar place to NX. Ounce is not. The only confirmed reference to ounce is in a file that there is not an "NX" version of, just one with an ounce suffix and one without, and it's not really the sort of file you'd obviously need a new version of for new hardware. The only things connecting "Ounce" to hardware are:
  • The dataminers, who are notorious for jumping to conclusions sometimes, said so, and have provided no further evidence beyond the aforementioned file
  • Midori and Pyoro both posted about a codename with a "-O" suffix, but both in a capacity that they haven't really proven themselves reliable in (as this is neither related to Sega or (presumably) something imminently about to receive marketing), and suspiciously right after "Ounce" became a topic of conversation.
It is not impossible that Ounce is correct, but we don't yet have any especially compelling evidence pointing towards that outcome.

So uh

I wasn't considering this because this whole time I've assumed the 2witch size would be roughly similar to the current Switch (a little bigger but still) but now that I'm seeing mockups that show it's possibly quite a bit bigger I realized I aughta measure the cubby where I store my consoles and uh

It might not fit.

Do I have it right that with the joycons attached it'll be in the neighborhood of 11.25in? 285mm? Cuz that's almost two inches wider than my current Switch. Or the WiiU gamepad, or... literally any other console I have set up in my cabinet. At 11.25in if I have it all the way against one side there'll only be 1.75in of space between it and the other side. That's barely the width of my two hands. So I might not be able to squeeze my hands in there around it, I'd have to turn it diagonally every time I wanted to take it out.

. . . hey @Raccoon, wanna start a cult or something? Not like the bad kind I mean

it's not gonna fit in mine!

joining the PS5 in being a new console (video game) you have to buy a new console (furniture) for
OT but do you cubby men find it hard/awkward to dock it and undock it?

Muji is referenced in a similar place to NX. Ounce is not. The only confirmed reference to ounce is in a file that there is not an "NX" version of, just one with an ounce suffix and one without, and it's not really the sort of file you'd obviously need a new version of for new hardware. The only things connecting "Ounce" to hardware are:
  • The dataminers, who are notorious for jumping to conclusions sometimes, said so, and have provided no further evidence beyond the aforementioned file
  • Midori and Pyoro both posted about a codename with a "-O" suffix, but both in a capacity that they haven't really proven themselves reliable in (as this is neither related to Sega or (presumably) something imminently about to receive marketing), and suspiciously right after "Ounce" became a topic of conversation.
It is not impossible that Ounce is correct, but we don't yet have any especially compelling evidence pointing towards that outcome.

Also could it be Oz as in going down the yellow brick road? Like you want to escape and get away from reality to a more fantastical one?

Ah gotcha, thanks for the correction. Some of the fine details of these things are getting tough to keep up with. 😅

OT but do you cubby men find it hard/awkward to dock it and undock it?
With the current Switch, not at all. There's currently 1.75in of space on either side (fully loaded with the joycons) and it's plenty of comfy space for me to reach in with both hands and pop it out. But if the 2witch measurements I mentioned are correct, then there'd be less than an inch on either side. I might be having to pick it out of the dock from the top, which.. might be doable, but it's tough to figure without having it here. And I don't wanna put undue pressure on the body or the joycons.

I know it's first world problems and all that, it's just wild to me that out of all the consoles I have set up in there all the way back to the NES, the one that's gonna be potentially too big is gonna be a handheld. 😅

So uh

I wasn't considering this because this whole time I've assumed the 2witch size would be roughly similar to the current Switch (a little bigger but still) but now that I'm seeing mockups that show it's possibly quite a bit bigger I realized I aughta measure the cubby where I store my consoles and uh

It might not fit.

Do I have it right that with the joycons attached it'll be in the neighborhood of 11.25in? 285mm? Cuz that's almost two inches wider than my current Switch. Or the WiiU gamepad, or... literally any other console I have set up in my cabinet. At 11.25in if I have it all the way against one side there'll only be 1.75in of space between it and the other side. That's barely the width of my two hands. So I might not be able to squeeze my hands in there around it, I'd have to turn it diagonally every time I wanted to take it out.

. . . hey @Raccoon, wanna start a cult or something? Not like the bad kind I mean

Wait a minute, I’ve seen you Yeah! those mockups mjayer made - what changed exactly? lol

I thought those mockups did a good job of showing scale between Switch 2 and OLED so something must have made you realize something?

Also could it be Oz as in going down the yellow brick road? Like you want to escape and get away from reality to a more fantastical one?
There is no credible source pointing towards it being Oz. That most likely just came up because it is the standard abbreviation for "Ounce" as a unit of measurement.

Wait a minute, I’ve seen you Yeah! those mockups mjayer made - what changed exactly? lol

I thought those mockups did a good job of showing scale between Switch 2 and OLED so something must have made you realize something?
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Can you explain why the 2x power differential is something that is likely to hold for Switch 2? One thing that is different from the get-go is that Switch 1 has a 2.25x resolution difference from handheld (720p) to docked (1080p), whereas Switch 2 has a 4x difference (1080p -> 4K) to potentially target. As such, it does not seem unlikely to me that docked may see a larger increase than we saw in Switch 1. If Switch 2 consumes 12W for 1.3 GHz, then a drop to 4W sounds plausible to me. The Orin power estimator seems to be down, so I can't do any comparisons. However, I'd imagine a 500-600 MHz handheld profile should be possible within that power budget on 4N.
600mhz is achievable, but I don't think Nintendo will break that number, 600mhz is roughly close to 9w of total power consumption, and the clock frequency is always double the algorithm, which is 1.2ghz, not to say that 1.3ghz is unattainable, in fact it's entirely possible, but Nintendo's insistence on low power consumption and near zero tolerance for fan noise won't allow for a high clock frequency, because the total power consumption would increase dramatically.

Was the Switch name rumored before the official announcement?
I don't think anyone except Nintendo knows about it yet.
The commercial name is a folkloric fact or little more.
Codename is more relevant because it can help dig up clues about what the new console is about.

From all the topics in our eternal loop in hell, I think the codename is the by far the most boring one.
It's difficult to see how the codename will have an effect on anything else. Now if knowing the codename could somehow reveal a bunch of secret information, sure, but tbh we know a ton of the important tech data already.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

5138767c-0bfc-46b6-bd15-2e2653ca3e60_text.gif

Power consumption is an issue that must be considered, assuming the 4N process is indeed used, and in accordance with the switch's power consumption being twice as much between portable and base, 1.3ghz would need to consume 12w of gpu power, and portable mode would mean 6w of gpu power would be consumed, which is a huge amount and I think highly unlikely.
Clock speeds don't scale linearly in terms of power draw. 1.3 GHz will take much more power than 2x, compared to 650 MHz.

Going by the Nvidia leaks that gabeplays posted here
The GPU clocks are 660MHz at 4.2w (2TFLOPs), 1.125GHz at 9w (3.456TFLOPs) and 1.38GHz at 12w (4.24TFLOP)

I don't know what node these clock speeds reflect, but it just shows that the power draw jumps exponentially. Just from increasing speeds from 660MHz to 1.125 (70%), a 2.14x jump in power draw occurs. And increasing clock speeds by 2.09x (660MHz to 1.38GHz) increases power draw by almost 3x! This, of course, doesn't just apply to Switch 2 but all gaming devices and computers.

You know what's gonna happen in the premier reveal? Nintendo is gonna have this guy come out and showcase

Dr-Oz-Diet_400x400.jpg
Dr Mario for Switch 2!
OIP.nfE7pwMlh3xxKwEZhOCDfwAAAA

Seriously joking

Last edited:
Please avoid making boy's club jokes, even when they are based on a meme. – MissingNo., Dardan Sandiego, DecoReturns, meatbag, Zellia
EDIT: It was indeed a dumb joke

Last edited:
Supplier news that may be relevant below.

This is amazing news, you’re the ice cream truck of this thread. You bring joy every time you pass by

Everyone in this thread refer to my subtitle if you’re doubting still

July about to be magical

Last edited:
Sorry ro bring the topic of electro-permanenr magnets up again but I'm regularly listening to the Waveform podcast by MKBHD and this week they've speculated a bit about the Switch 2. Nothing too crazy but what got me intrugued was their trivia question about what thing in their office already rocks an electro-permanent magnet. Turns out, it is a Logitech MX Master 3 mouse and the scroll wheel sues such a magnet to control the haptics and switch from a free flowing state to a clicking state. I think it's quite interesting because that shows, that size wouldn't really be a problem for the Switch 2 to incorporate such tech.

Done what on one device? Nintendo has been explicit, going back to the Wii, that power conversation of their TV consoles is a priority.

Communicate what? What are they trying to communicate? This is marketing 101, what is the message?

Ya'll are acting like I'm trying to advocate for or against a name. I'm not. I could not give a rat's fart what Nintendo calls the next machine that lets me play Zelda, because "can play the next Zelda" is the only piece of information that they need to communicate to me in order to get a sale.

Nintendo puts in every damn corporate message that their whole philosophy is integrated software and hardware, yet everyone seems to think that the only thing Nintendo needs to say with the name is about the hardware.

And that the only message about that hardware that needs to be communicated is "it's a more powerful version of what you already own".

And that Nintendo, a company whose entire 21st Century mission has been defined by the failure of the GameCube, a console whose sole pitch was "a more powerful version of what you already own", is totally cool with trying it again.

I have argued that I think Switch 2 could be a good name, because it could also be used to describe sets of software features that I think are natural extensions of what Switch does, not just because of how it describes the hardware. That doesn't mean I think it's the only good name, or that it will be the name.

I just get frustrated by people who think Switch 2 is a good name because they can't engage with the idea that Nintendo would ever deliver anything but a 4k60 Breath of the Wild machine, and that Nintendo might want to communicate a more complex idea.

Yes, it is very clear, which happens to be useful, because that's exactly what Sony made. If, however, Nintendo had called the Wii "GameCube 2" I doubt it would have been a useful designation. Nor do I think "DualBoy" would have been a better name for the DS. Or that "DS2" would have been a clearer description of the 3DS.

Nintendo has had unified naming conventions for families of systems before - the non-TV consoles were "boys" - the GameBoy the VirtualBoy, the Game Boy Advance. Until the DualScreens - DS/DSi/3DS/New 3DS. The Nintendo, The Super Nintendo, the Nintendo 64. And yes, the Wii/WiiU

75 million people bought a 3DS, and understand Nintendo's history with naming. And some subset of those people like Nintendo because they do things differently, whereas I cannot imagine a single person who would be put off of a new Nintendo device because it had a silly name.
Chill man, I expressed my opinion on how a numbered naming scheme would make sense if the Switch 2 isn't the last of the Switch series, and it is based on the assumption that the Switch 2 is, in fact, just a more powerful Switch. Unlike the past 3 generations this one doesn't seem to have any major new gimmick to it, as far as I can tell so far, so there's not much to communicate.

I'm still kinda baffled they're going for power, it's like every Nintendo wet dream I've ever had coming true (or maybe not yet, two decades with Nintendo has taught me to be skeptical) so that's the part that keeps throwing me off. The Switch is already a well established name and everyone who has it or even heard about it knows what it is and what it does. How does one go about advertising the Switch 2?

"...because they can't engage with the idea that Nintendo would ever deliver anything but a 4k60 Breath of the Wild machine" - at no point did I suggest that, in case you're referring to me. I have a pretty good idea about what the Switch 2 would be capable of if the speculated performance specifications are true, and I do think it'll be far more than the Nintendo 1st party and indie only machine that is the Switch.

Btw, if I had the choice I'd call it the Super Nintendo Switch, if only for the sake of making a reference to the SNES. Personally I like it more than the Switch 2.

Last edited:
Chill man, I expressed my opinion on how a numbered naming scheme would make sense if the Switch 2 isn't the last of the Switch series, and it is based on the assumption that the Switch 2 is, in fact, just a more powerful Switch. Unlike the past 3 generations this one doesn't seem to have any major new gimmick to it, as far as I can tell so far, so there's not much to communicate.

I'm still kinda baffled they're going for power, it's like every Nintendo wet dream I've ever had coming true (or maybe not yet, two decades with Nintendo has taught me to be skeptical) so that's the part that keeps throwing me off. The Switch is already a well established name and everyone who has it or even heard about it knows what it is and what it does. How does one go about advertising the Switch 2?

"...because they can't engage with the idea that Nintendo would ever deliver anything but a 4k60 Breath of the Wild machine" - at no point did I suggest that, in case you're referring to me. I have a pretty good idea about what the Switch 2 would be capable of if the speculated performance specifications are true, and I do think it'll be far more than the Nintendo 1st party and indie only machine that is the Switch.

Btw, if I had the choice I'd call it the Super Nintendo Switch, if only for the sake of making a reference to the SNES. Personally I like it more than the Switch 2.
No, you don't know anything about that.

What is the temperature on this thread regarding the reveal? Specifically, will Nintendo reveal before they start manufacturing to avoid leaks or will they not take that into consideration?

September is not out of the question if they are anticipating one if not the biggest console launches of all time.

Dunno if they need to reveal it prior to the mass manufacturing ... they basically soft-announced it last week. That should be enough.

The issue always was having people get to know they're about to release a new console from production leaks, not seeing "out-of-context" parts pictures from it.

I hope/speculate for September as this would allow third parties to freely announce and talk about their projects during TGS.
It can also be a "double strike" if there are enough projects (from thirds too) that are cross-gen with Switch, so they can avoid doing another Switch-only Direct.

Imagine if the dock loads from the front.

What if you have to insert the 2witch face-up into the slot, then when it connects snugly you push it down till it clicks

And it only works like half the time
My dream is that the dock loads the switch tablet in using its new rails / magnet tech like loading a cassette into a vcr, with the same over engineered feeding mechanism. It also has a <5% chance of just completely chewing up your switch beyond repair for no reason.

It would also be inconvenient as you would need to remove the joy con's. Would all be worthwhile though when you gently push your switch in, hear the mechanical whirring as it feeds the tablet in, the tablet disappearing behind the little plastic door that shuts once it's completely docked, wondering if the tablet will survive.

600mhz is achievable, but I don't think Nintendo will break that number, 600mhz is roughly close to 9w of total power consumption, and the clock frequency is always double the algorithm, which is 1.2ghz, not to say that 1.3ghz is unattainable, in fact it's entirely possible, but Nintendo's insistence on low power consumption and near zero tolerance for fan noise won't allow for a high clock frequency, because the total power consumption would increase dramatically.
600MHz definitely is not 9W of power consumption lol, if anything 1.2GHz would be that

I think Nintendo is going for power for a pretty simple reason, all signs point to Switch 2 being forward-and-long-term-thinking in its design. We're seeing even AAA games are plateauing now because it's simply not possible to keep increasing production costs and maintain profitability any more. For most indies and lower-budget games, the PS5 and Series X already have power in excess of what they need, all they really lack is more efficient tech like DLSS and RTX.

The Switch 2 is basically being designed to have sufficient power for the vast majority of games for the next decade, and there's no reason it shouldn't be able to achieve that. Xbox is basically on its way out as a console, and PS6 is not likely to push the power curve much further because at this point the limitations are mainly a function of budget and time, not power.

With all you dock theories, you need to keep one thing in mind: Function over anything.

They will want the dock to be durable, stable and have it keep the system tight without much room to drop out and such stuff.
Anything else just screams "Class Action Lawsuit".

I’m check out some info and it seems variant A78C 8 cores was never use anywhere, the more A78C cores what was use is 4 cores, that’s very interesting and show we have no idea about IPC besides it being much much more powerful than AMD Jaguar

Not been in the loop but great to see some new info come out.

The specs that were taken from this thread. What are the tflops in handheld and docked all I saw was core count?

I know tflops aren’t the be all end all but it would be interesting as I always thought 1.5/3 tflops would be the numbers with them balancing price, heat and battery life.

Many thanks.

Potential timeline when referring to the current latest facts aligning from suppliers and manufacturing and not "plans changed" or rumors from "insiders"

• Q2 (Mar-June 2024): Pre-Prod QC + First mention of the console (WE ARE HERE)
  • Q3 (July-Sep 2024): Mass Production + Reveal/Presentation
  • Q4 (Oct-Dec 2024): Launch
I'm putting money on a November launch

The specs that were taken from this thread. What are the tflops in handheld and docked all I saw was core count?

I know tflops aren’t the be all end all but it would be interesting as I always thought 1.5/3 tflops would be the numbers with them balancing price, heat and battery life.

Many thanks.
1.2-1.3 tflops handheld. 3.3-4.0 tflops docked.

That’s the ball park estimation. But we need to see how Nintendo sets clock speeds. If it’s true that the dock has a fan, I personally think they will push the system further than they did with the OG Switch. So probably on the 4 tflop side of things.

Many thanks.
For now the speculation is 2TFLOPs at 660MHz in handheld, 3.456~4.24TFLOPs at 1.125~1.38GHz when docked

We still haven't got any clockspeed information, so can't do the equation for now.

https://famiboards.com/threads/futu...staff-posts-before-commenting.55/post-1095034

Last edited:

Many thanks.
If GPU clocks are 660MHz in handheld and 1.125GHz in docked, then 2 teraflops in handheld, 3.5 teraflops in docked

1.2-1.3 tflops handheld. 3.3-4.0 tflops docked.

That’s the ball park estimation. But we need to see how Nintendo sets clock speeds. If it’s true that the dock has a fan, I personally think they will push the system further than they did with the OG Switch. So probably on the 4 tflop side of things.
The numbers you present are obviously very cut and dry, 1.2-1.3tflops is a portable floating point number estimated for Samsung's 8nm, and 3.3-4.0tflops is again a number only achievable with significantly better nodes.

Sharp Q4 financials are out (plus some medium term direction). I couldnt find anything interesting related to gaming devices/Nintendo like some people here or press like Bloomberg did last year.

Screenshot-2024-05-14-12-04-18-135-com-google-android-apps-docs-edit.jpg

PS:The earnings were bad lol

Looking back, @fwd-bwd did an analysis of the Mochi's article about Sharp which mentioned a new R&D line for a gaming device here and there

Last edited:

Many thanks.

As you can see from the various posts, them tflops are a thing thats best described like this: "We're unsure and it depends on the node." ;D

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom