• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

MVG made a valid point from a developer's point of view whether we like it or not. In fact, he only suggested that Switch 2 may not be backwads compatible, he didn't confirm or predict anything.
Some people may find it impossible to believe, but let's not disrespect him while he is just bringing ideas to the table for a healthy discussion with Nate.
If it will be or not, I find to be a pointless discussion tbh.
The discussion should rather be about "how".

Cause the idea that they can't implement it if they want to, is ridiculous.

if Drake doesn't have BC, it's not because of any technical reason, no matter how much some folks might bend over backwards to explain it. it'll always be because Nintendo didn't want it

Do companies still produce 720p screens for mobile devices (other than the Switch) such that they're cheaper than 1080p screens?
Yes. Heck, even lower-res screens are still in production. Amazon’s Fire 7 tablet has 600 lines of resolution, because it’s cheap as chips.

Persistent libraries are a big thing for modern gaming these days, unless something drastically changes I don’t think we should assume Switch 3 would drop support, but that’s so far away and there’s so many variables that I don’t even think it’s worth speculating about at all.

I get what you're saying but it's a Future Hardware speculation thread, meaning there is no limit to what we can speculate.

Nintendo has historically been good with sticking with successful brand names like the Game Boy and DS, both lasting more than a decade with the GBA and 3DS lines. I'm doubtful they will scrap the Switch name as it's a more universal and appealing term that has become its own brand.

Was there a significant generational confusion during the 3DS launch? I have vague memories of it, but it seemed fairly clear that it was a more powerful DS followup capable of more advanced 3D.
Looking back, it's honestly impressive how well Nintendo was able to maintain design continuity with its handheld systems, both within and across the GameBoy and DS brands, and even more impressive that they followed up over a decade of that by bungling the Wii U.

When you open the 3DS box, you see a plastic rectangle of similar size to DS line. You open the clamshell and everything from the DS is there: two screens, stylus for the bottom screen, dpad, all the buttons, card slot. If you owned a DSi, your AC adapters will still work here, you'll recognize the system menu's layout and navigation, and any DSiWare can be transferred so it shows up on the 3DS menu. Pop a DS card into the slot and it'll come up on the menu, same as with any of the new 3DS games. The most significant change is that the dpad has been shifted downward in favor of the circle pad, but the circle pad will do everything the dpad did – you can even use it to control DS games. The 3D screen, gyro control, and AR camera are all additive features to the existing DS featureset, and if you had to trade in your old DS or give it to your little brother in order to buy the 3DS, you can rest assured that your DS backlog is still waiting for you.

Now the console team has decided they want to do a similar style of follow-up to their own seventh-gen device, so what's the Wii U gonna do? For starters, its flagship controller is no longer the Wii Remote, but the big honkin Wii U GamePad. This thing looks more like a 3DS bloated into a controller than it does like anything on the Wii, but it won't actually play games on the go. To set this up, you've got to make room for this thing's charging cradle, plus the system itself. No more cool vertical stand, this console is rounded so it can't be mounted vertically without assistance. You boot it up and the TV shows, uhhh, something? Where's all the games and stuff? They're on the GamePad, in a menu that looks like the 3DS system menu and controls in the same way. Huh. Okay, if I put in a Wii disc, it... shows an icon for the Wii menu? It boots into the Wii instead of playing it directly? Why not just play this on a Wii and skip opening the Wii U menu if it doesn't support the new controller? I can display the game on the controller, but my sensor bar's still by the TV, and the controller buttons won't work.

But to be clear, I'm not saying we should stop. What else are we going to talk about? :p
Have two pages to catch up on but had to say I agree with this. And add that we are definitely on the Wondrous Boat Ride portion of the thread (edit: actually we've always been on the boat)

willy-wonka.gif

Strap in (as if we weren't already)

Last edited:
I don't know how Hogwarts Legacy could run on a Switch if the PC has this requirements:

FmSQ7fJXkAoJ73S

Ram, storage... How?

For example, this is for The Witcher 3:

TW3NG_requirements_table_16x9_EN_ilortqjlts4spa8e.png

I'm convinced that they know about a Switch 2 or pro and that is why they release it 5 months later (when the next model comes out).
games probably gonna look and run horrible on the switch

I am not a developer so my idea is only based on what my eyes see, but I don't understand why Hogwarts Legacy should be a title that only runs well on Drake.
If I'm not mistaken it's based on Unreal Engine 4 which, if put in the right hands, can return good results even on Switch base, last example ARK.

This is to say that the delayed release may have nothing to do with next gen.

(The non-announcement of Batman ports on the other hand... )

Wait, It's spelled "Jen-Hsun" and not "Jensen" all along? I never asked for this...

Safe to assume this is just someone re-posting the hinted-at stuff from that article and they didn't actually independently verify that everything in their tweet is true, right?

MVG makes emulators for a living, and his work is quite good. MVG is a smart guy who knows his shit, and I consistently disagree with him :) That's not a criticism, by any means. You work in tech, and everyone is smart and knows their shit and they still disagree.

Shaders are a particularly nasty emulation problem, and we have strong evidence that Nvidia isn't solving the problem in hardware. It'll be interesting to see what route they take. But it would be wild to have hardware as similar as Drake and TX1 and not do backwards compat. Nintendo has only broken the backwards compat chain once in the last 20 years (the Switch itself) and every statement they've made indicates they don't want to do it again.

Is this confirmed by anyone else or is this based on that vague Famitsu article?
Safe to assume this is just someone re-posting the hinted-at stuff from that article and they didn't actually independently verify that everything in their tweet is true, right?
Seems like the most reasonable assumption. Though if it's confirmed...

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
I would be literally done with Nintendo, even as a big fan.
Such a move in a Xbox, Playstation, iOS, Android and SteamDeck world would be suicide in terms of mindshare and customer relations.

I dont think there is ANY chance that Drake wont have basic BC to around 98-99% of the Switch library though.

I also don't believe we won't see some BC implementation in Drake. Especially with how successful the switch was, thus granting the perfect excuse for an upgrade from existing customers.

I've always wondered though how did the PS4 and Xbox one get away with ditching BC though. I know the technical reasons (architectures and all) but you're average Joe didn't really understand that, and yet it didn't become a "PR suicide" or something as dramatic as people claim will happen if the switch doesn't include BC. In fact, PlayStation kept releasing "definitive editions" and "remasters" of late-gen PS3 games at full price and they sold like hotcakes... If you asked anyone in this forum if it would be a good idea to re-release a TOTK 4k remaster a year after the original released, they would look at you like you said your favorite food is wet dirt.

I mean, the Wii U was the only system of 8th gen that offered BC and was by far the worst selling.

Wait, It's spelled "Jen-Hsun" and not "Jensen" all along? I never asked for this...

I unironically believe the reveal will be this financial year, and February seems as good a time as any. All systems are go.

As before, I believe this because I have heard some evidence to it and no evidence to the contrary.

Now I'm gonna predict it:

February 1st: teaser.
February 2nd: reveal
February 7th: Direct (in 4K)

Okay maybe Switch is worse but I never noticed it much on my Samsung OLED TV. Felt smooth for me. Right Joycon already has a IR camera, Nintendo Labo came with a sticker to be used with IR camera which essentially did the same thing as a WiiMote. So it is possible. The only problem with the Right Joycon is you don't have easy access to 2 buttons.

But the IR camera at the back of the joycon wouldn't be usable. On the wii you didn't have shoulder buttons. With the ring you don't lose access to any button

I unironically believe the reveal will be this financial year, and February seems as good a time as any. All systems are go.

As before, I believe this because I have heard some evidence to it and no evidence to the contrary.

Now I'm gonna predict it:

February 1st: teaser.
February 2nd: reveal
February 7th: Direct (in 4K)

If you mean Teaser as in Tweet
Reveal is the trailer drop
Direct the full information of launch lineup, price, release date, pre orders etc then I agree.

However I do think there will be a bigger gap between reveal trailer drop and the Direct. 2 weeks would be the right amount of time.

If revealed before March they will also have GDC to talk to developers

But the IR camera at the back of the joycon wouldn't be usable. On the wii you didn't have shoulder buttons. With the ring you don't lose access to any button
There has been some chatter about tech that would use the dock as a fixed point, and use RF instead of light. I believe Apple has some similar tech?

But this, like the screencasting chat, are mostly just pipe dreams. They'd also, obviously, require redesigning the dock, which some folks think is unlikely.

I also don't believe we won't see some BC implementation in Drake. Especially with how successful the switch was, thus granting the perfect excuse for an upgrade from existing customers.

I've always wondered though how did the PS4 and Xbox one get away with ditching BC though. I know the technical reasons (architectures and all) but you're average Joe didn't really understand that, and yet it didn't become a "PR suicide" or something as dramatic as people claim will happen if the switch doesn't include BC. In fact, PlayStation kept releasing "definitive editions" and "remasters" of late-gen PS3 games at full price and they sold like hotcakes... If you asked anyone in this forum if it would be a good idea to re-release a TOTK 4k remaster a year after the original released, they would look at you like you said your favorite food is wet dirt.

I mean, the Wii U was the only system of 8th gen that offered BC and was by far the worst selling.
Just spitballing, but I don't think the idea of having your digital library always go with you to your next device, was that ingrained in the public consciousness at that time. I know the iPhone came out 6 years before, but still.

Wii U BC was a specific case, that will not be repeated again.

That being that in order to acheive BC, they had to build on the dead PPC 750 architecture that was used for gamecube and Wii. Its actually pretty impressive that they built the only multicore cpu in existence (as far as I know) on that architecture. Hovever they ended up with a more expensive and less powerful chip than if they had just gone with some off the shelf AMD hardware using modern hardware. So in that way. it was limited by BC.

The Nvidia partnership guarantees the Wii U situation will not repeat. Unless Arm dies and the whole industry moves to Risc-V or something.
When you say it won't repeat, do you mean it won't be limited by BC, or that it won't have BC in general?

There has been some chatter about tech that would use the dock as a fixed point, and use RF instead of light. I believe Apple has some similar tech?

But this, like the screencasting chat, are mostly just pipe dreams. They'd also, obviously, require redesigning the dock, which some folks think is unlikely.
Some folks, eh? Is that what I am?

Joking aside, I think if they wanted to go harder on Joy-Con motion controls, inside-out controller tracking would be the way to go. However there isn't much room on the Joy-Con that isn't covered by the user's hand while in use. There is, I think, enough, however. The ToF/camera sensors would fit beside the L/R button next to the rail and at the bottom next to the rail without being blocked by the hand of the user, and two of these would be adequate for inside-out tracking of such a small device.

While I genuinely don't expect new controllers for the new device, my HOPES would be:

Hall effect or optical sticks. (Present in Dreamcast and N64 respectively.)
Pressure and touch sensitive ZL/ZR (as opposed to analogue, since this provides the same input or near enough without using substantially more internal space.)
Magnetometer to increase gyro accuracy, and
Inside-out tracking as described above, assisted by improved gyro and magnetometer.

Pro Controller should also adopt all of these, of course, though maybe it could use full travel triggers rather than just pressure sensitivity, with an analogue click when it bottoms out.

the day Nvidia is incapable of creating a bc solution for their own hardware using their own dev software, is the day hell freezes over.
I agree. I understand that because the NVN API does allow developers to code very close to the metal that switching to a new architecture would break compatibility, but its without question that NVN2 could support a compatibility layer to work around this. The ARM57 cores used the ARMv8 instruction set and the A78 cores support the direction extension of that with ARMv8.1. CPU compatibility should be a non issue.

Or he's under NDA so he's just playing dumb.
Unlikely he has any development materials at this point. Nintendo will be very selective with who has access to Switch 2 development hardware prior to the hardware being announced. Nintendo will want to avoid a flood of ports to Switch 2 at launch and will be selective with who will be ready with software so they have good visibility. A long time strong Indie developer like Shin'en could development kits, but Indies as a whole will likely be left in the cold until after the hardware is announced.

When you say it won't repeat, do you mean it won't be limited by BC, or that it won't have BC in general?
Won't be limited by BC.

That specific circumstance where Nintendo clings to a dead architecture to keep comparability wont happen again.

Also modern APIs (like nvn) and toolsets are more hardware agnostic than past ones.

If you mean Teaser as in Tweet
Reveal is the trailer drop
Direct the full information of launch lineup, price, release date, pre orders etc then I agree.

However I do think there will be a bigger gap between reveal trailer drop and the Direct. 2 weeks would be the right amount of time.

If revealed before March they will also have GDC to talk to developers
I think a compressed marketing schedule for this device is likely, and unlike Switch 1 which already had games confirmed for it before it was even revealed, they'll want to show what games are coming to it ASAP.

I also believe this fiscal year because they and/or Nvidia will want to do the rounds with it at GDC, as you said.

It's also not really some insane cost to Nintendo, though, if they are moving to iterative hardware. But maybe they won't. Maybe the Switch 2 won't even play Switch games.

Nintendo will support the original Switch userbase as long as it's making money, and until the Switch 2 has a footing. Who knows from there, but I don't think there will be many big Nintendo exclusives until 3-4 years in.

Edit: Also worth mentioning we're hitting economic issues in Japan and the US. Who knows what ramifications that will have on consumers buying big splashy expensive stuff.
Just saying, but do you have the slightest idea of how big this jump is? Even when ignoring the raw TFLOPS increase Drake has over the Switch (which is still several times in handheld over docked Switch clocks), the architecture jump is still pretty massive and will possibly have three times the RAM, two times the cores (easily twice as fast by themselves), and six times the GPU cores. That's not accounting the RT cores, DLSS cores and I/O decompression chip it'll have, so... Any Drake exclusive using the hardware is impossible on the Switch period, especially if it's cheating with resolutions that would translate to 240p on the Switch (along with the massive asset downgrades to even hold that ceiling). The Witcher 3 port will be a joke compared to the ports you're suggesting, and that already destroyed the PS4/One game as it is.

Last edited:

I like the idea of a camera on the front of the tablet so I could still take advantage of the better tracking even on tabletop mode (which a use quite a lot)

Some folks, eh? Is that what I am?
Hah! While I was thinking of you, it was not a diss!

Joking aside, I think if they wanted to go harder on Joy-Con motion controls, inside-out controller tracking would be the way to go. However there isn't much room on the Joy-Con that isn't covered by the user's hand while in use. There is, I think, enough, however. The ToF/camera sensors would fit beside the L/R button next to the rail and at the bottom next to the rail without being blocked by the hand of the user, and two of these would be adequate for inside-out tracking of such a small device.
Even two cameras is probably overkill for pointer controls. You don't need 360 degrees of high res tracking like in VR, you only need high res for the fixed viewing angle of the TV. That's why I was thinking an RF (or higher frequency) signal to the dock would be sufficient, you really just need something to autocalibrate the existing gyro pointer.

While I genuinely don't expect new controllers for the new device, my HOPES would be:

Hall effect or optical sticks. (Present in Dreamcast and N64 respectively.)
Pressure and touch sensitive ZL/ZR (as opposed to analogue, since this provides the same input or near enough without using substantially more internal space.)
Magnetometer to increase gyro accuracy, and
Inside-out tracking as described above, assisted by improved gyro and magnetometer.
This is basically my wish list as well. Though the one I want most - and not even for me, exactly - is the pressure sensitive triggers. If Nintendo builds that into the Joy-Con, then games will be built to use those controls, and for gamers who really want/need travel, aftermarket controllers would provide the full experience. But if Nintendo doesn't build even a crappy version into the base controller, support in games would be basically non-existent.

I'm in a similar boat with hall-effect sticks. I want Nintendo to improve the drift situation out of principle, and they absolutely should. But I'm going to get aftermarket sticks for other reasons anyway, I'm happy to pay a premium for that. If improved graphite sticks reduce the problem and keep cost down, I'm not going to be mad.

Everyone's hands are different shapes, everyone plays different games. Nintendo's form-factor will be a compromise, and developers will target the base controller. So what I most want to see is a more robust series of inputs, I can fit the controller to my hand with third party-products, but I can't force developers to support third party control schemes.

If it will be or not, I find to be a pointless discussion tbh.
The discussion should rather be about "how".

Cause the idea that they can't implement it if they want to, is ridiculous.
Yeah.

The BC discussion in general (throughout the web, not here - but here sometimes) has left a bad taste in my mouth. Folks have been using the Wii U / 3DS to Switch transition and Nintendo's bungling of legacy content (which isn't related to platform BC) as surefire reasons why Nintendo is either incapable of implementing it or will choose not to in favor of $70 ports. The persistent misinformation of Nintendo 'rarely or never' doing BC hasn't helped. When Miyamoto talked about BC being 'easier than ever' the discussions elsewhere about that interview so hilariously misinterpreted and twisted what he said.

There's this pervasive assumption that it 'won't' happen and we'd be lucky to get it 'because Nintendo'. Which is a frustrating argument to rationalize against because it 'may happen anyway, you never know what Nintendo will do'. Well, I know Nintendo is a business who has a history of BC, especially in their portables, as part of their strategy of bringing people to their new consoles and maintaining a large library of available games.

Even if the next console isn't a Switch (doubtful, seems ill-advised to drop this brand after just 7 years, and the leak indicates an NX platform), I expect compatibility with Switch games. It's reasonable to expect due to the nature of Switch games, working with a single screen and a standard control layout.

It's worth discussing how they'll achieve it (and I quoted Thraktor's post on a previous page which suggests shader modifications to Drake as part of their solution) but it feels like an overblown concern in general.

Just saying, but do you have the slightest idea of how big this jump is? Even when ignoring the raw TFLOPS increase Drake has over the Switch (which is still several times in handheld over docked Switch clocks), the architecture jump is still pretty massive and will possibly have three times the RAM, two times the cores (easily twice as fast by themselves), and six times the GPU cores. That's not accounting the RT cores, DLSS cores and I/O decompression chip it'll have, so... Any Drake exclusive using the hardware is impossible on the Switch period, especially if it's cheating with resolutions that would translate to 240p on the Switch (along with the massive asset downgrades to even hold that ceiling). The Witcher 3 port will be a joke compared to the ports you're suggesting, and that already destroyed the PS4/One game as it is.

I am 100% aware of what it is. Nintendo would be developing for the Switch first, and then pushing 4k/60, or whichever combo they can hit, in the drake versions with improved draw distances, higher res textures and the like.

I mean, "Prepare for Disappointment" is MVG's middle name. I feel like 95% of his answers to Nate's questions are "no".

Nate: "What do you think MVG? Is this something that could happen? You think this/that is likely?"
(ex. Silent Hill revival, Drake-Switch BC non-HW based solution or even BC at all, what if Nintendo doesn't do a Direct or throws a wrench in things

MVG: "No, no I don't think so, Nate. I just don't see it happening, unfortunately."

Skepticism is fine, but I'm having trouble remembering the last time MVG agreed with Nate or said "yes" to a big, loaded yes-or-no question. I'm just curious as to why he seems to be such a "glass half empty" kind of guy. I think another thing to note is that ScriesM was the one (and I believe the only one to this day) to initially bring up the shader issue. Would BC on Drake even be a talking point if he hadn't brought it up in the first place?

Last edited:
Hah! While I was thinking of you, it was not a diss!

Even two cameras is probably overkill for pointer controls. You don't need 360 degrees of high res tracking like in VR, you only need high res for the fixed viewing angle of the TV. That's why I was thinking an RF (or higher frequency) signal to the dock would be sufficient, you really just need something to autocalibrate the existing gyro pointer.

This is basically my wish list as well. Though the one I want most - and not even for me, exactly - is the pressure sensitive triggers. If Nintendo builds that into the Joy-Con, then games will be built to use those controls, and for gamers who really want/need travel, aftermarket controllers would provide the full experience. But if Nintendo doesn't build even a crappy version into the base controller, support in games would be basically non-existent.

I'm in a similar boat with hall-effect sticks. I want Nintendo to improve the drift situation out of principle, and they absolutely should. But I'm going to get aftermarket sticks for other reasons anyway, I'm happy to pay a premium for that. If improved graphite sticks reduce the problem and keep cost down, I'm not going to be mad.

Everyone's hands are different shapes, everyone plays different games. Nintendo's form-factor will be a compromise, and developers will target the base controller. So what I most want to see is a more robust series of inputs, I can fit the controller to my hand with third party-products, but I can't force developers to support third party control schemes.

The reason I would much prefer 2 over just one (and wait, why would the emitter be in the dock? It has to work in Tabletop Mode too, so it would be along the top edge of the console! No dock redesign needed 😉) is well, one, tabletop mode as I just said, and two, so you don't actually have to have it pointed anywhere near the TV for it to work. That's a benefit of Gyro pointers over IR, they're direction agnostic and that makes them more comfortable to use, and you never have to rearrange a room for them. You can lay down on the couch with the Joy-Con pointing wherever and still have accurate pointer controls.

Dragging us back to a time where motion controls need a fixed frame of reference is not ideal, I don't think. Two sensors front and back provide loads of information and are cheap as chips, just look at optical mouse solutions. While yes, they have a known fixed distance to work with making it easier for them, these sensors would be basically that plus ToF. They could be tiny, cheap, and maybe not accurate enough for a HMD nausea free, but definitely more accurate fhan IR point and IR camera solutions like Wii.

I really don't get the big appeal about the Wii's pointer. I mean the Wii U GamePad basically solved the problem with a traditional layout by using a gyro-magnetometer combo. Wii's pointer was jittery and a touch laggy by its very nature. Plus the problems of fixed frame of reference as I pointed out before.

I want better pointer controls, no doubt, but I don't want to sacrifice the flexibility of the Joy-Con to get it!

I am 100% aware of what it is. Nintendo would be developing for the Switch first, and then pushing 4k/60, or whichever combo they can hit, in the drake versions with improved draw distances, higher res textures and the like.
I doubt they'd want to do that when even Miyamoto himself has stated new hardware is for new games. Drake still has to sell, and the original will die sooner or later.

I mean, "Prepare for Disappointment" is MVG's middle name. I feel like 95% of his answers to Nate's questions are "no".

Nate: "What do you think MVG? Is this something that could happen? You think this/that is likely?"
(ex. Silent Hill revival, Drake-Switch BC non-HW based solution or even BC at all, what if Nintendo doesn't do a Direct or throws a wrench in things

MVG: "No, no I don't think so, Nate. I just don't see it happening, unfortunately."

Skepticism is fine, but I'm having trouble remembering the last time MVG agreed with Nate or said "yes" to a big, loaded yes-or-no question. I'm just curious as to why he seems to be such a "glass half full" kind of guy. I think another thing to note is that ScriesM was the one (and I believe the only one to this day) to initially bring up the shader issue. Would BC on Drake even be a talking point if he hadn't brought it up in the first place?

The weird things Nintendo has said regarding future consoles always brings a lot of questions. It's very much possible Nintendo launches the next system with no BC. And if that happens, all bets are off.

I doubt they'd want to do that when even Miyamoto himself has stated new hardware is for new games. Drake still has to sell, and the original will die sooner or later.

Coincidentally, that was one of the weird things. That implies BC is not as important. I have no idea what will happen if Nintendo goes full, no connection to the old system, successor.

If Drake has BC and isn't a clean break from the Switch, I think Nintendo will do as I mentioned earlier. If it is a clean break, well, buckle up.

The weird things Nintendo has said regarding future consoles always brings a lot of questions. It's very much possible Nintendo launches the next system with no BC. And if that happens, all bets are off.

Coincidentally, that was one of the weird things. That implies BC is not as important. I have no idea what will happen if Nintendo goes full, no connection to the old system, successor.

If Drake has BC and isn't a clean break from the Switch, I think Nintendo will do as I mentioned earlier. If it is a clean break, well, buckle up.
That means they’ll need to have a NSW2 Online subscription service in addition to NSO. There’s a reason they called it “Nintendo Switch Online” and not “Nintendo Online”. It’s all going to carry over.

Note, I think many here are misunderstanding the cross-gen in systems like PS4/One and how it even managed to happen... the backports from Drake will be much more difficult to make for the Switch than any of those consoles, simply because the TX1 is a very unbalanced chip that can't even hold its targets for games anymore, and is also lacking a ton of hardware features that will be vital for Nintendo's pipelines going forward. Once the DLSS and Nanite implementations (thanks to the 1 GB/s they now have) alone start to be put into 1st parties, Switch will be utterly and completely out of the question, just like Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart was unthinkable for PS4 at its current form because of streaming and design reasons.

This is way off base. All Miyamoto said is what Nintendo always says, which is that they try to come up with hardware ideas that enable new experiences. That means new hardware should be able to do things that the previous generation couldn't do, like the 3DS having a 3D display, not that new hardware is supposed to be categorically different from the previous one so it can't be compatible. The 3DS still played DS games.

And it's not like every single new piece of hardware Nintendo ever released follows even that rule. It's completely in line with Nintendo's past philosophy to release an upgraded system that works pretty much the same as the Switch does now. And also in line with the fact that Furukawa keeps saying the Switch (platform) is going to have a longer than normal life span.

There's zero reason to expect no BC. Saying "it's possible" is no different from saying "it's possible" their next console might be digital-only. Anything is possible. The sun might not come up tomorrow. That's not an interesting way to have a discussion.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom