• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

the-ttyd-remake-super-nintendo-switch-schizo-theory-v0-t8nd5qs4iy6c1.jpg

original.png

Untitled.png

About the Super Famicon color scheme theory, I'm in agreement. Partially because I want the "Super Nintendo Switch" name theory to become true haha, but also because it's true -- Nintendo has quietly made a pattern of having their color prompts be in same color scheme as the Super Famicon controller. The new Paper Mario TTYD remake, Super Mario RPG remake, and even the game Fashion Designer of all things. It's the exact kind of thing Nintendo would do because they have done in past gens when button prompts on the screen would have the same color and shape as the buttons on the controller to make it easy to understand.

Once is a coincidence, twice is a pattern, three times is...

(Using this image by PyrpleForever on Reddit for the Paper Mario TTYD remake analysis)

There's also Ys suddenly switching to colored buttons.
Ys IX Switch vs. PS4
Screenshot-2023-09-16-140151.png
Screenshot-2023-09-16-140124.png

Ys X Switch:
F58LrxvXgAEbIMs

You know it's been a slow news week when we're back to talking about colored button prompts in games. :p
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

no no

split the ZR/ZL buttons vertically down the middle

two triggers, one inner, and one outer, on each side

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I don't know, it's an interesting idea, but I would need the joycons to be bigger so that the triggers would be big enough and it would be a weird adjustment for a lot of people as right trigger has become maybe the most important button in modern AAA gaming. Splitting it in two would cause a big adjustment period.

You know it's been a slow news week when we're back to talking about colored button prompts in games. :p

Haha! it's a solid talking point! and while it's doesn't outright confirm the next console to be called "Super Nintendo Switch', "Super Switch", or something like that, I think it's safe to say it's not a coincidence.

There's also Ys suddenly switching to colored buttons.
Ys IX Switch vs. PS4
Screenshot-2023-09-16-140151.png
Screenshot-2023-09-16-140124.png

Ys X Switch:
F58LrxvXgAEbIMs

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

First I want to make sure it's crystal clear that I'm in no way making fun of anyone for discussing this. That out of the way, I've seen small games and game developers do colored buttons in their games. Do we really think all of these studios have and have had Switch 2 devkits for as long as we have been seeing these colored game buttons (a lot longer then a year I think, correct me if I'm wrong)? If the Switch 2 devkit has been out there in all of these developers hands for this long and we haven't had any leaks at all from these devkits then I'll be incredibly impressed with Nintendo being able to keep all this a secret. Just seems a little suspicious to me and I really don't want to anger anyone here. Hell I could definitely be wrong and maybe everyone has had devkits for a very long time now.

First I want to make sure it's crystal clear that I'm in no way making fun of anyone for discussing this. That out of the way, I've seen small games and game developers do colored buttons in their games. Do we really think all of these studios have and have had Switch 2 devkits for as long as we have been seeing these colored game buttons (a lot longer then a year I think, correct me if I'm wrong)? If the Switch 2 devkit has been out there in all of these developers hands for this long and we haven't had any leaks at all from these devkits then I'll be incredibly impressed with Nintendo being able to keep all this a secret. Just seems a little suspicious to me and I really don't want to anger anyone here. Hell I could definitely be wrong and maybe everyone has had devkits for a very long time now.
If secretly Nintendo and Falcom have been collaborating on a Switch 2 exclusive title, I will be doing backflips

Why are we putting this discussion in hidden text? It's old speculation from months ago. There's nothing new here to move the needle on this theory.

Colored buttons are a good UI visibility measure, and it makes sense to reference Nintendo's own color scheme. There's the plausible deniability.

My question is if The Origami King has colored buttons in places where it makes sense, like during combat, so we can compare.

Regardless I believe in it, for fun.

Do we really think all of these studios have and have had Switch 2 devkits for as long as we have been seeing these colored game buttons (a lot longer then a year I think, correct me if I'm wrong)?
No one is saying this. The theory was that Nintendo asked or encouraged them to make the input coloured "because the next console will use coloured buttons".

Oh no, I wasn't upset at all :). It might end up being a lot of nothing, but It's very curious to see so many Nintendo games recently have the same colors on the screen whenever there are button prompts. It wouldn't require a Switch 2 devkit either. It could simply be a case of "Hey UI guys, the controller for the new Nintendo hardware is gonna have the same colors as the Super Famicon, so do it like that".

If it's true, it says a lot. It says that Nintendo is thinking about the future and considering people playing these Switch 1 titles on their Switch 2. It practically confirms that the Switch 2 will be BC with Switch 1, because why would Switch 1 games have the color-scheme of buttons on a Switch 2 controller if you couldn't play the game on a Switch 2? it means Nintendo is taking inspiration from the Super Famicon which may or may not confirm the next console will have the "Super" prefix in the title.

As I said, it could be a whole lot of nothing. But once is a coincidence, twice is a pattern, three times is....and there are way more than three games using this exact same color-scheme when the Switch 1 doesn't look like that...

Colored buttons are a good idea for making button inputs more apparent when playing two player with single joy cons, since the UI can just specify to hit the 'red' button and that'll be the same button color for both players, even if one is using D-buttons and the other ABXY.

Also just in general, makes it easier to grasp the controls. My mother has trouble immediately reading the letters on the controller during play, color labels would help.

the-ttyd-remake-super-nintendo-switch-schizo-theory-v0-t8nd5qs4iy6c1.jpg

original.png

Untitled.png

About the Super Famicon color scheme theory, I'm in agreement. Partially because I want the "Super Nintendo Switch" name theory to become true haha, but also because it's true -- Nintendo has quietly made a pattern of having their color prompts be in same color scheme as the Super Famicon controller. The new Paper Mario TTYD remake, Super Mario RPG remake, and even the game Fashion Designer of all things. It's the exact kind of thing Nintendo would do because they have done in past gens when button prompts on the screen would have the same color and shape as the buttons on the controller to make it easy to understand.

(Using this image by PyrpleForever on Reddit for the Paper Mario TTYD remake analysis)

I haven't been around for a while but I will just mention that next Switch having coloured buttons is a real thing and you all will be seeing it when the reveal happens.

Neither Minecraft nor Xenoblade, which were New 3DS exclusives, used colored buttons despite all New 3DS systems having them. The absence of them on recent games doesn't rule out the system having them, and likewise, the presence of colored buttons doesn't mean it will. It's just an interesting pattern, and a design decision that makes sense for differentiation and increased clarity for two players using single joy con.

Ubisoft put waaaaaaay more effort into this than Capcom

Yeah, compared to the relative scope of the game and also how CPU-heavy AC games can be, based on this small promo snippet, it does seem smooth and more tailored (e.g. control scheme, perhaps specific optimisations).
The only other non-Re engine game title is Death Stranding and when you configure the settings yourself, can be more stable at 30fps. Hope there's some "true" ML-based MetalFX present at WWDC, but this is of course outside the topic of this thread.

Hellblade 2 could be a cool showcase for Switch 2 using UE5

Yes!
It's also very VRAM efficient, but rendering wise the Steam Deck does struggle. As per DF's recent video, ROG Ally is where the performance is more stable at 30fps, 720p (XeSS Performance) @ 15W TDP.

Last edited:
Neither Minecraft nor Xenoblade, which were New 3DS exclusives, used colored buttons despite all New 3DS systems having them. The absence of them on recent games doesn't rule out the system having them, and likewise, the presence of colored buttons doesn't mean it will. It's just an interesting pattern, and a design decision that makes sense for differentiation and increased clarity for two players using single joy con.
But notably, none of these games use colours to indicate D-Pad directions, so if they are connected to the next system influencing brand guidelines or similar, I'd expect the next D-Pad to be one colour again.

I do hope you're right and they're designed so the button colours line up in single Joy-Con play, but presently I doubt it.

I am sorta curious what a low end Ampere version of Hellblade 2 would look like. I think the Series S version is truly impressive. That they're preserving the texture work on such a limited pool of RAM is almost mind boggling. I haven't had a chance to play it, but the general consensus is that hardware lumen isn't transformational, simply because of reflection angles.

The game is like a litany of "temporal upscaling not great" situations. The volumetric lighting can play hell on temporal stability, and the heavy use of post processing means that a decent chunk of GPU load is at output resolution, not input.

On a big screen TV, it feels like Switch 2's advantages - DLSS, Nvidia RT, a large RAM pool - are unlikely to overcome against Series S's - Big Old Fashioned GPU, Big Old Fashioned CPU. In the hand, it's another story. I can imagine a better looking, better playing version of what the Steam Deck is delivering. Though I admit I'm sorta excited to see if I can get a better result on my SD OLED with a mild overclock.

I haven't been around for a while but I will just mention that next Switch having coloured buttons is a real thing and you all will be seeing it when the reveal happens.

Almost all of your posts before you left were about your sources told you that devs needed to have their games finished by Q2 2024 to be part of the launch lineup reveal for the Switch 2 which you assume would be Q4 2024 (why they needed to finish games six months ahead of time... Unclear...) and you believed a 2025 was basically impossible.

So I don't know about your sources, we'll see!

The only one advantage series s over switch 2 will have a bit better raster and just that, im believe cpu will end up very similar, remember guys that switch 2 have low latency ram and cpu is in one claster

Almost all of your posts before you left were about your sources told you that devs needed to have their games finished by Q2 2024 to be part of the launch lineup reveal for the Switch 2 which you assume would be Q4 2024 (why they needed to finish games six months ahead of time... Unclear...) and you believed a 2025 was basically impossible.

Q4 2024 is still on the table till like mid July

The most recent posts before he left were about discussing the internal delay with his sources. If the message to developers was abrupt then I don't see the incongruency.

The only one advantage series s over switch 2 will have a bit better raster and just that, im believe CPU will end up very similar, remember guys that switch 2 have low latency ram and cpu is in one claster
That's just not realistic, I don't think. Series S has pretty much the best CPU in the console space. It's actually overstocked with CPU grunt relative to its other components, and it has relatively fast RAM, a chiplet design with unified cache, and shares a silicon die with its GPU. It also has hyperthreading.

A78C is impressive, sure, and at the same frequency it could compete or outperform, but power limits put definitive physical caps on speed. The CPU basically has to be the same speed in TV and handheld mode to not mess with game logic. So the speed cap put in place by the CPU's access to power while on battery is in place for all scenarios. That's probably not going to be high enough to scrape Series S. A significant portion, well over fifty percent of the way there, I'd say so, but I wouldn't call it very similar in performance.

What it has though is more RAM, Tensor Cores and the FDE. Most decompression should be going through the FDE, video decode and encode should go through their dedicated blocks, that's a little weight taken off the CPU. Tensor cores can perform some typically CPU driven tasks, in theory, and more RAM means you could, for instance, make up for the CPU speed in some circumstances by storing precalculated figures in a table in RAM and calling them rather than having the CPU do everything. Not similar, but there's tools at hand if a game is struggling.

Last edited:
That's just not realistic, I don't think. Series S has pretty much the best CPU in the console space. It's actually overstocked with CPU grunt relative to its other components, and it has relatively fast RAM, a single "cluster" and shares a silicon die with its GPU. It also has hyperthreading.

A78C is impressive, sure, and at the same frequency it could compete or outperform, but power limits put definitive physical caps on speed. The CPU basically has to be the same speed in TV and handheld mode to not mess with game logic. So the speed cap put in place by the CPU's access to power while on battery is in place for all scenarios. That's probably not going to be high enough to scrape Series S. A significant portion, well over fifty percent of the way there, I'd say so, but I wouldn't call it very similar in performance.

What it has though is more RAM, Tensor Cores and the FDE. Most decompression should be going through the FDE, video decode and encode should go through their dedicated blocks, that's a little weight taken off the CPU. Tensor cores can perform some typically CPU driven tasks, in theory, and more RAM means you could, for instance, make up for the CPU speed in some circumstances by storing precalculated figures in a table in RAM and calling them rather than having the CPU do everything. Not similar, but there's tools at hand if a game is struggling.
Series S have same CPU as PS5 and Series X, is two Zen2 clusters, each cluster with 4 cores, im believe that a78c will end up clocked 2.0-2.5ghz and yes ik it must be same clocks in two modes, ofc on TSMC 4n, samsung 8nm shouldn’t be debate anymore

I think you confused 2025 with 2026.

Unless you're suggesting the devs are supposed to have the foresight to know an internal delay from Nintendo was coming?

d9t9y85-5bcfff8e-35f8-46e0-b077-ecc534656551.png
com.pentawire.emun64xl-69203ff0-7088-497f-b45f-0add395fba08_512x512.png
icon.png
71CsJPn1arL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
61zKWhljrGL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

People remember the colors because of the SNES, but this will be the fifth Nintendo device with this color scheme (or third for the exact same colors on the same buttons)
Yeah true. I think it's the colours in the arrangement that count, and the z button und the GC controller is often forgotten. N64/GC just had other layouts

Series S have same CPU as PS5 and Series X, is two Zen2 clusters, each cluster with 4 cores, im believe that a78c will end up clocked 2.0-2.5ghz and yes ik it must be same clocks in two modes, ofc on TSMC 4n, samsung 8nm shouldn’t be debate anymore
My mistake, yes, the current gen home consoles use two clusters, but that isn't something that notably negatively impacts their performance, they're designed like that for a reason.

I think 2Ghz sounds reasonable, but the home consoles are in the 3.5Ghz+ range, a difference that isn't made up by the architectural advantages of ARM.

Given what we know, I also agree that Samsung, especially 8nm, seems extremely unlikely for the node.

That's just not realistic, I don't think. Series S has pretty much the best CPU in the console space. It's actually overstocked with CPU grunt relative to its other components, and it has relatively fast RAM, a single "cluster" and shares a silicon die with its GPU. It also has hyperthreading.

That's why I've always said that docked mode will be in the ballpark of the Series S, not on paper. The XSS will have more grunt, but the actual playing experience will be scarily close.

yknow with Xbox’s new strategy, Hellblade 2 could be a cool showcase for Switch 2 using UE5
I really thought we’d hit the diminishing returns wall this gen but after playing half of Hellblade II I can safely say it’s like a game from the next generation. UE5 with Nanite, Lumen and Meta Human while also aiming for 30fps instead of 60 really is astounding looking. It’s the closest I’ve ever felt to controlling CGI. I’m playing it on Series X on a really nice OLED which also helps.

If Switch 2 can get a version that looks like Series S it will prove a lot of doubters about it’s potential wrong.

Not that I have a belief either way but why do you say Samsung 8nm should be ruled out?

Would clocking it up to 2.0-2.5ghz on 8nm result in a device much too big to be a Switch-like device?

That's why I've always said that docked mode will be in the ballpark of the Series S, not on paper. The XSS will have more grunt, but the actual playing experience will be scarily close.
Personally I think my expectations remain realistic, not necessarily the same level of detail or polygonal detail, but a higher output resolution next to Series S due to superior upscaling.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom