• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

to my recollection it was grip button in back of each joycon, and one extra button in front of right joycon (like an extra "home" button)

So 3 extra "buttons" in total across both joycons
Afaik, yeah this is it. It was apparently right below the ZR/ZL buttons on both joycons.

If those grip buttons situated at the back are real, I really hope they've done enough product testing on it.
It's the reason why I never liked the Steam Controller, I kept on accidentally pushing the back paddles. It was very annoying and returned it.

What did we actually know for sure about the architecture and node? the word "ga10f" for ampere a few years ago and the chipname?
[

Changing node process after design phase would stamp on another 2 or 3 years to the release date (so like 2027 or 2028 instead). We know T239 validation testing began in 2022.

There’s a reason why people here are for MLID content to be banned. Bad content is bad.

Edit: it’s hilarious I can tell which comments under this article are regulars in this thread :) I saw a mention of “gml30”
in the end, it was always ada and 4n, developed alongside the rtx4000 series with an old codename from the early beginning of development...

If those grip buttons situated at the back are real, I really hope they've done enough product testing on it.
It's the reason why I never liked the Steam Controller, I kept on accidentally pushing the back paddles. It was very annoying and returned it.
It's Nintendo. You know they will do extensive usability testing. I don't recall ever having a bad Nintendo controller controls-wise (well, at least since NES controllers anyway but I liked those too), everything feels like they are where they should be.

But yeah I'll admit when grip buttons first entered the rumorsphere, I have same concern about constantly accidentally pressing it. Will see what the actual product ends up looking like.

What did we actually know for sure about the architecture and node? the word "ga10f" for ampere a few years ago and the chipname?

in the end, it was always ada and 4n, developed alongside the rtx4000 series...
4N would be what we are hoping for. And it's the node process that makes more sense compared to 10nm (SEC8N) at least based on what we know.

I don't know about Ada however.. not my zone of comfort when it comes to knowledge, but isn't T239 based mostly on the one before Ada?

As far back as 2021, there were whispers about the S2NS having a Lovelace GPU, but they were dismissed after being conflated with the lie that was the “Switch Pro” rumour mill. I would say there was no smoke without fire, though. It’ll have some elements, and the most probable lithography process will reinforce that it’s been developed alongside Lovelace products. It’s misleading to say it’s an Ampere GPU for those reasons, but it’s possible that they were used in earlier dev kits with “targeted specs”, so that software can be available on time. Nintendo will most probably call it “Custom Nvidia GeForce RTX GPU”, and leave it at that… and that’s all we really need to know, tbqh
I related to this post from Angel Whispers

It's Nintendo. You know they will do extensive usability testing. I don't recall ever having a bad Nintendo controller controls-wise (well, at least since NES controllers anyway but I liked those too), everything feels like they are where they should be.

But yeah I'll admit when grip buttons first entered the rumorsphere, I have same concern about constantly accidentally pressing it. Will see what the actual product ends up looking like.

I'm not generally a huge fan of back buttons/paddles (better than clickable sticks, at least), but I've never found myself accidentally pressing them on my Steam Deck. Most of the time I forget they're there, to be honest.

What I wonder about with Switch 2, if it does have back buttons/grip buttons or whatever you want to call them, is what it means for the shape of the joy-cons. There needs to be some kind of moulded grip on the back of the controller for these buttons to work, and I'm curious if they can provide enough of a grip without making the joy-cons substantially thicker, which would impact how portable the console is.

Unlikely.

Fire Emblem remakes are done "in order" so far, and the next rumored one, the Genealogy remake, is pretty much the one that's "in line" for a remake.

Don't get me wrong, you will get a PoR remake. But you're going to have to wait some years for it. Before PoR, there's likely remakes for Thracia, Blazing Blade, Binding Blade and Sacred Stones.
So I wonder about that. IS and re-releases are are strange thing. Because so far they have done 3 remakes, Shadow Dragon, Mystery of the Emblem and Gaiden. Already that order has been severed, since Mystery came out in 2010 and Gaiden came out in 2017.

So the next candidate is Thracia which its a 50/50. I dont think we will get remakes of the gba games, maybe blazing blade cause it was not release in the west. That leaves the Tellius games which to be fair, they could just do HD remasters since it would be more efficient.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why are people still listening to MLID?

So I wonder about that. IS and re-releases are are strange thing. Because so far they have done 3 remakes, Shadow Dragon, Mystery of the Emblem and Gaiden. Already that order has been severed, since Mystery came out in 2010 and Gaiden came out in 2017.

So the next candidate is Thracia which its a 50/50. I dont think we will get remakes of the gba games, maybe blazing blade cause it was not release in the west. That leaves the Tellius games which to be fair, they could just do HD remasters since it would be more efficient.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why are people still listening to MLID?

I wouldn't say that the order was broken, given Mystery is basically a "SNES Remakester" of Shadow Dragon with an additional campaign that would be DLC in todays times.

Also, not expecting remakes of two of the most popular FE games, which also "officially" started the series in the west, is a strange thought.

As for PoR (and in extension RD) ... as good as the games are, they lack so much QoL improvements from later games and they're basically god-ugly. While it's pretty much a faithful one, IS basically remade Paper Mario TTYD despite that art-style being somewhat timeless. You can expect them to give both Tellius games the full treatment, too.

E: But i think this discussion should completely moved into the Direct Speculation thread.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

New buttons locations:

1GeE0h2.png

RYmk4L7.png

Looking at this one, it quickly made me think of the same button placement on the Wii U pad. Took a pic here:

PXL-20240427-223600560.jpg

Obviously this is where ZR/ZL were on the Wii U pad. So maybe they're adding another button in that same shape and space as the Wii U. It's pretty comfortable too.

Also, the more rounded/thicker part reminds me of this on the Wii U pad too:

PXL-20240427-223540241.jpg

It'd be really nice and comfortable if they did use both of these. A very welcome addition/return.

Edit: oof sorry for the massive images 😅

Edit: Fixed sizes thanks to @darthdiablo.
So I was waiting for new trigger buttons, but if these grip button are like the ones in HTC Vive Controller:

628b8af1853f5d1f2fbf36f9_VRcontrol2.jpg

Grip: These will be under your middle / ring fingers on both controllers. They are used to grab, move, rotate and resize objects.

The new position is more like a trigger, so I don't know what to expect in the end.

Probably already discussed, but the button prompts in the new Paper Mario are colored like the SNES buttons.

Is there any indication of colors of the buttons in the shipping information?

I'm not generally a huge fan of back buttons/paddles (better than clickable sticks, at least),
I'm on the same boat. But TotK is so much more fluid when you can put the run button on the back, that I hope they really put them.

And replacing clickable sticks on games which doesn't need extra buttons would be a win in my book too.

Congratulations towards MLID for being such a genius. Who would have thought that 8 NM was inefficient for 2025. Gee, I wonder how did he had a change of heart. He must have thought of this himself. Nope, not jumped on Famiboards and look at the tools provided here. He certainly would never take credit all for his self.

The Nintendo Switch 2 was originally planned to use an 8 nanometers node, but this may have changed due to the console launching in 2025. Nintendo may also have moved to a smaller node, possibly from Samsung, for better power efficiency, more capacity, and reduced cost. As Moore's Law is Dead rightly points out, releasing a new system using a node from 2023 wouldn't be a smart move, as things have changed in the past few years. TSMC, for example, has improved its nodes since then, is charging less for them, and they are easier to produce. If a node shrink or any sort of hardware redesign was made to the Nintendo Switch 2, then there's the chance that it could hit around 4.5 teraflops in docked mode, as opposed to the rumored 4.0 teraflops reported some time back.

Probably already discussed, but the button prompts in the new Paper Mario are colored like the SNES buttons.

Is there any indication of colors of the buttons in the shipping information?
Yeah, PM:TTYD was one of the growing list of those recent games that seem to have colored button (whereas there were only 3 examples found in entire Switch lifecycle beforehand).

As far as I know there are no mentions of colors anywhere in the shipping info - at least not that turned up in my searches, but others might have found something. I believe I was thorough in my searches because I'm one of those who are subscribing to the SFC colored buttons theory :)

Congratulations towards MLID for being such a genius. Who would have thought that 8 NM was inefficient for 2025. Gee, I wonder how did he had a change of heart. He must have thought of this himself. Nope, not jumped on Famiboards and look at the tools provided here. He certainly would never take credit all for his self.
Yup - not that anyone was expecting him to, but fuck MLID for not even crediting Famiboards at all. Gigantic piece of shit.

I'm on the same boat. But TotK is so much more fluid when you can put the run button on the back, that I hope they really put them.

And replacing clickable sticks on games which doesn't need extra buttons would be a win in my book too.
Getting rid of thumbstick clicks should also help with drift.
Clicking sticks makes the dirt accumulate below it with time.
I used to love stick clicks but now I hate them honestly.. They're annoying, sound bad, feel awkward and make sticks less durable

Yup - not that anyone was expecting him to, but fuck MLID for not even crediting Famiboards at all. Gigantic piece of shit.
Man you guys need to chill.

This is would just be useful for single joycon play though.
I took that as 2 triggers total (including the Z triggers).

Think of the new buttons being kinda like the Wii trigger.

I particularly would like to have a place to rest my middle finger, like I use the Zs for the index finger. The L/R are too small for me use them like that.

But unless the leak was from someone with the shell rather than a "hands-on in a black box" as reported, I would think they would know it's a trigger.

Man you guys need to chill.
I am not angry I think it pathetic that he would take credit for something that he likely had someone come on here and research. Like it make you less respected.

What if I made a youtube channel, right now and looked up all the research and discussion and made it either come off as a good educated guess or an "insider" i am connected to, how would it make me look?

Last edited:
Absolutely believe that Switch 1 legs will be quite strong for some couple years after the Switch 2 release, actually. Especially with it being potentially backwards compatible with Switch 1, games could be released for cross-gen (remasters, remakes, smaller games) and be enhanced on the Switch 2. Or even completely new games being playable on both from the get go... 3DS had quite the support after Switch dropped (Samus Returns and Hey, Pikmin! being two really amazing games that are exclusives to it even today), so i think it's really plausible.

Plus, Nintendo wouldn't throw away the (maybe) soon to be best selling console of all time's entire userbase away for no reason. This generation leap is quite different from something like DS > 3DS, Wii > Wii U transitions. I don't think they will hold back on releasing "bleeding edge" games as Switch 2 exclusives, but the former console will still receive stuff. Maybe just not the Super New The Legend of Zelda: Into the QHD Realm or alike.

Here’s a better video by Dame Tech regarding RE: Village and M4 iPad.

This test is bit above 1080p, Max settings and MetalFX set to Quality. The M4 iPad is almost always above 60fps. It’s very good for a passively cooled tablet but it’s obviously being throttled due to the lack of active cooling and therefore can’t maintain its peak frequency for longer periods.

The main take away here is that Switch 2 AAA ports will use more than 4GB of RAM. As for games like BG3, it will definitely come to Switch but there will be penalties applied. The A78C is not a powerful CPU but neither is Zen 2.

They really made the game work with 3.5GB memory, I'm impressed. I played at 1080p extreme and I've seen VRAM usage in excess of 14GB at times, and who knows what amount of DRAM was used.

Don't let people like MLID live in your heads rent free. He will be proven right or wrong soon enough.
If he's bullshitting then it's a short term play to get clicks while Switch 2 speculation is hot. But it's not like we won't know the specs in the next year or so.

With Nintendo hardware launches there are always concern trolls and trolls generally who pop out of the woodwork to rile people up.
MLID could be one of those.

But you take all the evidence and weigh it, so while i'm not dismissing his claims, some of his more specific claims like what nvidia is thinking sounds more like what one low level engineer who is his friend's uncle is thinking. He can't possibly know what Jensen or the Tegra chip team is actually thinking in between counting their money.

Last edited:
I'm not generally a huge fan of back buttons/paddles (better than clickable sticks, at least), but I've never found myself accidentally pressing them on my Steam Deck. Most of the time I forget they're there, to be honest.
I have the opposite problem with the Steam Deck, in fact - the force required to turn them on is so high I find them unusuable. I have to squeeze my deck so hard I press a bunch of face buttons each time.

Here’s a better video by Dame Tech regarding RE: Village and M4 iPad.

This test is bit above 1080p, Max settings and MetalFX set to Quality. The M4 iPad is almost always above 60fps. It’s very good for a passively cooled tablet but it’s obviously being throttled due to the lack of active cooling and therefore can’t maintain its peak frequency for longer periods.

The main take away here is that Switch 2 AAA ports will use more than 4GB of RAM. As for games like BG3, it will definitely come to Switch but there will be penalties applied. The A78C is not a powerful CPU but neither is Zen 2.

Cheers I've seen the video from Dame Tech and also MrMacRight (yes that's the channel name) and saw that at ~2K it could maintain its framerate target in RE Village. So it at least gives a ballpark estimate and overlap of performance compared to other outlets. I know that on the iPad Pro M2 that I have, when I set RE4 to its higher values (not sure if it's max in Dame Tech's video, because I do see different textures than what I have). I think there's an issue with adjusting the profile on the M4, because it defaults to the highest default for the platform.
Moreover, the games are designed to work with a sustained power profile (so I don't think it's throttling necessarily, because I've used additional cooling on my devices and apart from perhaps a % frametime improvement, it's quite minor).

For me, the idea of the iPad Pro M4 is pretty much a realisation of how feasible are "PS4 Pro" levels of performance on a mobile device or at least from Apple, because AMD's ROG Ally should be there with its "raw numbers", but in practice it's not as capable. Moreover, from observing the mobile GPU landscape, it's been increasing in synthetics benchmarks (and now with AAA ports on iOS devices you can see how much power there actually is), but I think it's safe to say that until Apple hit the M1 they haven't been able to match what the PS4 is doing. Coincidentally, the Steam Deck is also seen as a "PS4 handheld".
Up until this day, the Maxwell GPU in the switch is still very performant.

This is how RE4 on the iPhone 15 Pro Max ran when I played it with adjusted settings (not available through the menu) a week ago;

The shimmering in his hair isn't as bad, compared to the default, but the performance lies somewhere in the sub 30fps in intense scenarios. Especially in the town scene after, but it's impressive for a phone :). Also, I was playing while filming through my iPad sorry for the poor gameplay lol.
If I take a screenshot through the photo mode, it does resolves quite a good image;

IMG-2277.png
IMG-2278.png

I didn't really look at all this shipping info but if would this be possible to glean from any of this if some buttons were capacitive or could act like a small trackpad ?

Just noticed his knuckles. Is that some kind of rendering issue? Doesn't look natural to me. But yeah, otherwise, looks about as good as can be expected on a iPhone.

Oh, shoot I missed that 😂, you know what I'll check, because it could be that some of the settings I adjust can cause some weird things to happen.

---

Here's a preview of AC Mirage (from the promo page);

update; Leon just has weird gloves, and it’s likely some bug or asset that’s not included with a higher fidelity

default“HD”
IMG-2308.png
IMG-2309.png

It gets stretched in a fist or motion.

IMG-2310.png

Last edited:
Just noticed his knuckles. Is that some kind of rendering issue? Doesn't look natural to me. But yeah, otherwise, looks about as good as can be expected on a iPhone.

Nintendo: "So, Capcom friends ... we got you some really neat hardware and some fine arse tools. Can we have Resident Evil ports now?"

Capcom: "We're not sure if it's possible, maybe with more RA... gets interrupted"

Nintendo: Points at this screenshot "Shhhhhhhhhhh."

This is would just be useful for single joycon play though.

I took that as 2 triggers total (including the Z triggers).

Think of the new buttons being kinda like the Wii trigger.

I particularly would like to have a place to rest my middle finger, like I use the Zs for the index finger. The L/R are too small for me use them like that.

But unless the leak was from someone with the shell rather than a "hands-on in a black box" as reported, I would think they would know it's a trigger.
no no

split the ZR/ZL buttons vertically down the middle

two triggers, one inner, and one outer, on each side

I have the opposite problem with the Steam Deck, in fact - the force required to turn them on is so high I find them unusuable. I have to squeeze my deck so hard I press a bunch of face buttons each time.

I don't find them that difficult to use, but I think it depends a lot on exactly how you hold the Steam Deck. This is part of the reason I'm curious about how they might handle it if they're adding similar buttons to Switch 2's joy-cons. You're intended to hit these buttons with your middle fingers, but that leaves one less finger to hold the controller with, meaning you have to be able to comfortably hold the controller with just the palm of your hand and two fingers. I feel like this requires something with a pronounced grip, rather than the flat back of the current joy-cons, so I'm wondering how they can do this without making them too thick, and impacting the portability of the console too heavily.

Edit: They also have to accommodate people with a wide variety of hand sizes, which likely makes it even tricker.

Nintendo: "So, Capcom friends ... we got you some really neat hardware and some fine arse tools. Can we have Resident Evil ports now?"

Capcom: "We're not sure if it's possible, maybe with more RA... gets interrupted"

Nintendo: Points at this screenshot "Shhhhhhhhhhh."

Capcom just sold over 1 million copies of a Switch port of RE6 of all things. I don't think they need any more incentive to port whatever Resident Evil games they can to Switch 2.

Nintendo would be stupid to have as few exclusive games as PS5 have had. I mean the Nintendo ecosystem is much less willing to upgrade for power upgrades alone than the PS ecosystem. Meaning Switch 2 having no exclusive games compared to Switch 1 would lead to far worse people upgrading than it did for PS5. The only way for Switch 2 to sell well is by tons of exclusive titles right out of the gate, with Switch 1 just getting minor titles from there on.
I disagree with this perspective, I think unlike PS4 to PS5, the current Switch gave us an idea of how to seamlessly play full console games any way we would like. Switch 2 could in theory take what Switch 1 did and marry it with many functions that make PS5 interesting (but on the go).

I guess what I'm trying to say is to the general gaming public Switch 2 will look like a much larger generational leap than going from PS4 to PS5.
Add to that modern features that will benefit an all in one gaming device over a set top box (that needs to be tethered to a TV) and one becomes an easier sell over the other...

So I was waiting for new trigger buttons, but if these grip button are like the ones in HTC Vive Controller:

628b8af1853f5d1f2fbf36f9_VRcontrol2.jpg

Grip: These will be under your middle / ring fingers on both controllers. They are used to grab, move, rotate and resize objects.

The new position is more like a trigger, so I don't know what to expect in the end.
All the talk about new buttons and placement had me thinking of some kind of VR/AR mode.

I mean, the primary audience on a lot of these cross gen games is still going to be Switch 1 owners, especially early on. The cross gen part is mostly a bonus.

But also that said, I don't really see the problem with how Luigi's Mansion 2 HD looks. They did a lot more than I was expecting.
I think LM2HD looks nice! I never played the original, so I'm excited to dive in.

I just wonder about the Samus Returns effect. 3DS had a good install base, and Samus Returns was a big juicy game that looked good on the hardware. Came out six months into the Switch's lifetime, with at least 70 million people who hadn't upgraded. But still Switch games kinda paved it over. Now I'm imagining the same thing, but for a game that, as an uprezzed 3DS game, doesn't even look at the top end of Switch 1 games. Though maybe being cross gen helps - no one feels like they're throwing away their dollars on a game that they won't be able to play on the system they're already planning on buying.

On the other hand, I also think about how it opens up options. Games that I would require a substantial investment to rework their control scheme seem off the table for a late stage Switch "remaster." The ROI isn't great, you probably want more Senior Nintendo involvement to get the tuning correct, and that kind of game might be more in remake than remaster/uprez territory. But if it's a Switch 2 launch year game, suddenly that kind of investment makes sense, even if the primary audience is the Switch 1.

I also think about something like Tomodachi Life. That's a class of game that feels like it benefits from a big install base rather than helps drive the install base. At least for a console positioned how Switch was positioned. With DS/3DS, Tomodachi Life feels a little more like the core pitch of the console. Maybe I'm misreading the situation, or maybe Nintendo decides that, the Switch having been solidly established as a "core gamer" product, they don't need to aggressively appeal to that demo on launch in the same way this time

None of this is "will or wont" or "should or shouldn't" it just shuffles up my perception of what is likely.

I don't find them that difficult to use, but I think it depends a lot on exactly how you hold the Steam Deck.
Yeah, I just don't have the strength in my pinkie/ring finger, and don't have hands large enough for a grip that lets me use my middle finger

Did they have a redesign or something? I experiences the exact opposite, but I'm talking about the first gen when they just got released many years ago.

Yup - I think it's generally believed that T239 is mostly Ampere GPU, with potentially some elements of Lovelace/Ada in it. So probably not outright "Ada GPU"?
wiki.jpg

The T239 is primarily derived from Ampere/Geforce 3000 series. We know this because of the "GA10F" codename. It's the same code-name they use for each Nvidia Geforce 3000 series graphics card. GA107, GA106, and so-forth. If it was primarily derived from Ada Lovelace/Geforce 4000 series, the code would be "AD". AD107, AD106, and so-on.

They went with Ampere to be more cost-effective, but the chip is custom and allegedly received backports from Ada Lovelace, such as more efficient power consumption and the OFA. So it's a totally bespoked/frankensteined version of Ampere and Lovelace. I can only assume they crunched the numbers and felt this was more efficient than just using a Lovelace card outright. Regardless, these guys are smart and I'm confident they'll deliver the best they could for a competitive cost-effective hybrid console.

Did they have a redesign or something? I experiences the exact opposite, but I'm talking about the first gen when they just got released many years ago.
Not sure, I never played with the Steam Controller. I found the LCD Deck (which I played with a little bit) and the OLED deck (which I own) to be comparably difficult to click. But YMMV on hand shape and grip

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom