• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

The idea of post April 2025 remakes/remasters is an interesting one. Mario vs Donkey Kong is the kind of game that feels like a proper fit for where were are in the Switch's lifecycle, and something like Tomodachi Life would be a welcome entry in that vein.

But now I'm imagining Tomadachi Life not as a late-gen Switch 1 game, but an early Switch 2, cross-gen game, and it suddenly feels wildly out of place. A game like Kid Icarus Uprising which would require a substantial control rework - which, lets face it, Sakurai would insist on doing himself - feels like a "not late stage Switch 1 game" but as a cross-gen game, suddenly appeals.

Though I also have trouble with the idea of something of Dark Moon HD slotting into a slot 6 months after the launch of brand new hardware. It might be a handsome 3DS game, but to go into the launch window of a new console, it feels extremely bare bones. I have no problem with cross gen between the wildly disparate power levels of Switch/Switch 2, but a game which looks a little weak on even Switch 1 hardware probably isn't a great sell.
They have also stated that a future Tomodachi Life game would allow for gay relationships, and given their decision to make Vivian trans in the English version of the TTYD remake, I wouldn't be surprised if the reaction to that would make a revisit more likely. Personally, if I made the call, I would make it so that there's no option for orientation and that characters can and will just date whomever for the funny.

The idea of post April 2025 remakes/remasters is an interesting one. Mario vs Donkey Kong is the kind of game that feels like a proper fit for where were are in the Switch's lifecycle, and something like Tomodachi Life would be a welcome entry in that vein.

But now I'm imagining Tomadachi Life not as a late-gen Switch 1 game, but an early Switch 2, cross-gen game, and it suddenly feels wildly out of place. A game like Kid Icarus Uprising which would require a substantial control rework - which, lets face it, Sakurai would insist on doing himself - feels like a "not late stage Switch 1 game" but as a cross-gen game, suddenly appeals.

Though I also have trouble with the idea of something of Dark Moon HD slotting into a slot 6 months after the launch of brand new hardware. It might be a handsome 3DS game, but to go into the launch window of a new console, it feels extremely bare bones. I have no problem with cross gen between the wildly disparate power levels of Switch/Switch 2, but a game which looks a little weak on even Switch 1 hardware probably isn't a great sell.
i expect Nintendo to suport Switch for at least 3/4 more years, so by 2029(year 4 of Switch sucessor), Nintendo will fully suport it next console, think this as PS4 to PS5 or 3DS

Personally, if I made the call, I would make it so that there's no option for orientation and that characters can and will just date whomever for the funny.
everyone in miitopia is like

asexually pan? idk

if you make two people sleep in the same room for long enough they will eventually fall in love potent enough to be banned in russia

I think there's an argument to be made that the Switch 2 and Series S will help each other. I'm completely all for it. If the Switch 2 breathes life into the bottom rung of this generation, and the Switch 2 and Series S help each other in a symbiotic relationship, I think that will ultimately what ends up saving this generation.

Wishful thinking, but maybe it even gets Sony and Microsoft to ease off the console wars a bit, astronomical budgets and long development times, and instead focus on making more games that are cheaper to make, sell, and - surprise, surprise - just as much fun to play.

A Tomodachi Life re-release would have to fix the issues with not allowing queer relationships (I do not ever see them putting the original version on NSO in the future because of that) Plus the game revolves around 2 screens in many scenarios which would also require heavy changes, and at that point they may as well just make a full sequel. So I don't think the rumoured 3DS remaster is Tomodachi Life.

I think that people are forgetting that this isn’t the “old“ days where portables (including 3DS) where very underpowered and lacked hardware features from the big consoles/PC because of low power uArch.

Nintendo with Switch (Sony to some extent with Vita) bridged the gap thanks to X1 being a full fledged Maxwell uArch. It’s the full fat hardware, no compromises as it scales from low power to extreme power.

That is the same with T239, it’s the full fledged Ampere uArch with all features and little more from being back ported. So engines today shouldn’t have any problem running on Switch 2 other than assets being downgraded (textures, more)

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Imo, I think it makes sense now we have GL/GR for horizontal use acting as the vertical ZL/ZR. Those 2 were missing on Switch joycons when held horizontally, so it had 2 less buttons than the 8 we're used to.

Well, I'm speaking from Nintendo's historical precedent with that. Their "next gen" same brand system has always sold much less, whether they fucked it up themselves or simply demand. This is not comparable to PS consoles tbh, they've never exhibited the same drastic gen-on-gen declines like Nintendo usually does... Until the Switch broke that pattern, of course.
Which "next-gen" same brand systems are we talking about? Wii U is a given, but what else? SNES? GBA? 3DS?

Can one really say SNES's sales were "much less" than NES? GBA was selling like hotcakes in the short time it had after the GB/C before DS arrived, and I believe that had more to do with Sony bringing out the PSP. 3DS had a price/cost situation when it launched, but is that any different from both PS3 and Vita compared to their predecessors?

Last edited:
That potential 3DS port better be Samus Returns being freed from the 3DS prison. I legit don't understand why that wasn't made cross-gen, or ported in the early times to Switch.

Not only you, my friend. Not only you.

I hope it's Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Unlikely.

Fire Emblem remakes are done "in order" so far, and the next rumored one, the Genealogy remake, is pretty much the one that's "in line" for a remake.

Don't get me wrong, you will get a PoR remake. But you're going to have to wait some years for it. Before PoR, there's likely remakes for Thracia, Blazing Blade, Binding Blade and Sacred Stones.

I mean, the primary audience on a lot of these cross gen games is still going to be Switch 1 owners, especially early on. The cross gen part is mostly a bonus.

But also that said, I don't really see the problem with how Luigi's Mansion 2 HD looks. They did a lot more than I was expecting.

MLID's opinion changes all the time.
In the latest episode of Moore's Law is Dead Broken Silicon podcast, it has been revealed how some people at NVIDIA are confused that the next Nintendo console still isn't out, as the system was supposed to be released in 2023.
The Nintendo Switch 2 was originally planned to use an 8 nanometers node, but this may have changed due to the console launching in 2025. Nintendo may also have moved to a smaller node, possibly from Samsung, for better power efficiency, more capacity, and reduced cost.

After the reports about people not upgrading, I think Nintendo would want to avoid that
Nintendo would be stupid to have as few exclusive games as PS5 have had. I mean the Nintendo ecosystem is much less willing to upgrade for power upgrades alone than the PS ecosystem. Meaning Switch 2 having no exclusive games compared to Switch 1 would lead to far worse people upgrading than it did for PS5. The only way for Switch 2 to sell well is by tons of exclusive titles right out of the gate, with Switch 1 just getting minor titles from there on.

Which "next-gen" same brand systems are we talking about? Wii U is a given, but what else? SNES? GBA? 3DS?

Can one really say SNES's sales were "much less" than NES? GBA was selling like hotcakes in the short time it had after the GB/C before DS arrived, and I believe that had more to do with Sony bringing out the PSP. 3DS had a price/cost situation when it launched, but is that any different from both PS3 and Vita compared to their predecessors?
And the SNES sales declining from NES are just an obvious consequence of Sega taking some market shares from Nintendo during that era. Could PS, Xbox and PC take market share from Switch 2 as well? Of course, but Switch 2 can take market shares from their rivals as well so its impossible to speculate about currently.

And the SNES sales declining from NES are just an obvious consequence of Sega taking some market shares from Nintendo during that era. Could PS, Xbox and PC take market share from Switch 2 as well? Of course, but Switch 2 can take market shares from their rivals as well so its impossible to speculate about currently.
Until someone puts out a hybrid device that actually targets a mass market I don't envision PS/Xbox/PC taking market share. Steam Deck is the "closest competitor" and that device has sold 3-4% lifetime Switch sales, it's no competition at all.

[
MLID's opinion changes all the time.

Changing node process after design phase would stamp on another 2 or 3 years to the release date (so like 2027 or 2028 instead). We know T239 validation testing began in 2022.

There’s a reason why people here are for MLID content to be banned. Bad content is bad.

Edit: it’s hilarious I can tell which comments under this article came from regulars in this thread :) I saw a mention of “gmlx30”, lol.

Last edited:
Until someone puts out a hybrid device that actually targets a mass market I don't envision PS/Xbox/PC taking market share. Steam Deck is the "closest competitor" and that device has sold 3-4% lifetime Switch sales, it's no competition at all.
And i mean PC handhelds have used in their marketing the ability to play new Nintendo games better than on Switch. If that is no longer possible for a few years when it comes to Switch 2 games who knows how that will affect the PC handhelds.

And i mean PC handhelds have used in their marketing the ability to play new Nintendo games better than on Switch.

After the industry learned that, if you "poke" Nintendo long or "direct" enough, they're actually waking up and POKING back at you with the wrath of a supernova, i doubt this will be a thing in the future. Switch 2 making such "statements" impossible or not.

Plus, i doubt the whole thing will be a big as it was/is right now with Switch. I don't see nVidia fucking up this bad again.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom