• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I got into an argument with someone and I was saying that Smash likely has to send not only characters data frame, but stage hazard frame, and item generation. Someone claims that's not true and that there is a seed that generates when an item show and the seed is sent to all players at the start of the match. How true is that?

Edit: so the argument was that seeding a random generated item spawn is done and only button input is done.

Edit: I am thinking from a algorithm perspective. The guy made sense initially. Items could generate at the same time if you made random generated algorithm and send the same seed out.

But what about boxed items. Not necessarily the items itself but what about where the items land When you open the box or barrel.

What about trophies. The data has to be sent to all system to know information as who to target and where is the location of the trophy assist.
Things like these can be done during the design phase. As for your boxed items dilemna, the developer could simply make it detriministic meaning regardless of who is opening the box, the item would just pop out the exact same way.

There are no games that do what Smash does except Smash. Nothing even close. The "Smash clones" that exist are about on the level of Smash 64.

There's no such thing as "Nintendo's network." Smash is P2P. All fighting games are P2P.

It can't and it won't.

"It can't work because it can't and examples of close games doing it are irrelevant because they're not close enough" is just an extremely non-compelling argument.

From what I can tell, Sakurai vaguely said 3.5 years ago "the side effects were too big" about implementing rollback and that's pretty much all the detail we've gotten from Nintendo.

Last edited:
"It can't work because it can't and examples of close games doing it are irrelevant because they're not close enough" is just an extremely non-compelling argument.

From what I can tell, Sakurai vaguely said 3.5 years ago "the side effects were too big" about implementing rollback and that's pretty much all the detail we've gotten from Nintendo.
I mean project slippi is pretty much a regular fighter. No items, stage hazard, and no 4 players. I think that's pretty telling.
Things like these can be done during the design phase. As for your boxed items dilemna, the developer could simply make it detriministic meaning regardless of who is opening the box, the item would just pop out the exact same way.
But is that how it works?

Is it possible that nvidia decided to go with complete ada in the last two years, after all the nvidia hack was march 2022, wouldnt it make sense? Maybe its not ampere with ada features anymore...
Not unless Switch 2 is releasing later than we all expect. And there's not much to Lovelace that would help a low powered system like a handheld gaming device that Ampere doesn't already have

Slippi is also made by like one guy and is made for a community who do nothing but play 1v1, no hazards, no items.
Fair, i can't see the code so who knows.

Even then, if the idea is to have a smooth online experience. There's plenty things they can do. Maybe allow a filter of ethernet or good wifi. Which I know the later exist. I don't know if there's any API that allows devs to know if there's an ethernet connection. Also, bundling an ethernet cord isn't a bad idea for the next smash.

This is strictly talking about competitive play.

I always thought the DeNA venture would lead to NSO on Mobile to play older retro games.
This gave me an idea...
A unified Nintendo mobile app where you can manage your Nintendo Account, online play, parental control app, what you just said, mobile version of the My Nintendo Store and a mobile version of the eShop (like the browser one) where you can buy games for your console and start downloading them there

Not unless Switch 2 is releasing later than we all expect. And there's not much to Lovelace that would help a low powered system like a handheld gaming device that Ampere doesn't already have
The newer tensor cores for more efficient dlss, newer rt cores for more efficient rt, the ofa from ada with frame gen would help in the distant future with critical games even if it doesnt work well with low fps, maybe they backported them, a big l2 gpu cache would also help overcome ram bandwidth. I hope switch 2 rocks, this would help change the image of nintendo always going for weak hardware,...but after all, t-239 is already strong yeah...well, we will see, i hope for the best

A lot of folks gonna be fired.
Honestly would be a lot more heartbreaking if it weren't a part of a chain of something like 30,000 layoffs overall in 2 and a half years, at this point it's just tiring. Not trying to downplay layoffs overall because it's fucking ridiculous, but it's just goddamn endless at this point.

Pain

Last edited:

From what I understand, rollback requires CPU resources and has an exponential increase based on the number of users, probably the side effects he was talking about. The next smash may implement rollback as long as CPU allows it.

Fair, i can't see the code so who knows.

Even then, if the idea is to have a smooth online experience. There's plenty things they can do. Maybe allow a filter of ethernet or good wifi. Which I know the later exist. I don't know if there's any API that allows devs to know if there's an ethernet connection. Also, bundling an ethernet cord isn't a bad idea for the next smash.

This is strictly talking about competitive play.
I don't know about Project Slippi though I'm guessing for most retro games is that ram is small enough to be copied as a frame then the emulator would have to detect desync and match the frame to "rollback" (It's not really rollback netcode, more of like a resync or something). Which frame depends on how it is coded.

Gosh darn it, I didn't want to bring this up, but since it's come up, I'll have to touch upon it, don't I?

First, I do have to complain, why does it have be SPEC 2006 instead of 2017? (I probably know why)

Alright, intro: you follow PC hardware enough, you'll see assorted CPU benchmarks.
Cinebench - free, and I'm under the impression that it's really easy to use as well? Very common to see. It's one specific workload though, so do not use it to gauge 'overall/general purpose' performance. Not all reviewers are necessarily great at getting that across to the audience...
Interestingly enough, Cinebench is regarded as actually having practical value as a test of your cooling. You see, it turns out that Cinebench is a realistically heavy, all core, AVX workload.

Geekbench - free and is designed to be a collection of workloads to represent real world, general purpose usage. Also common to see. Thumbs up for it as long as we remember that it's for 'general purpose computers' and not 'dedicated gaming devices'.
BTW, has anybody else paid attention to the 4700S and 4800S scores? (4700S is the PS5's chip with disabled igpu while the 4800S is the Series X counterpart)
For those who do, did you notice that the 4800S tends to score slightly higher in single core? And if so, have you ever wondered why? My impression is that the main difference lies in a couple of specific tests that turn out to be SIMD (Single Input Instruction, Multiple Data; ie vectors) heavy. And I think that would line up with a specific customization that was done for the Zen 2 core in the PS5. There was a bit of cost optimization done; the FPU is cut down by a bit. I think that the cuts were mainly to SIMD capability?
(click here for Chipsandcheese's interpretation of the PS5's FPU)
And one last bit, in the category of 'who else on the internet would make this specific leap in logic?': Mark Cerny deciding that this cut to SIMD capability will presumably not adversely affect the PS5 leads me to think that the odds will be lower for the A78's 2x128 bit fp/vector throughput being an issue for games.

SPEC - this one is regarded as the industry standard. Relative to the above two, you don't see anywhere near as many outlets use this suite. Why? Well, a SPEC2017 license costs $1000 USD. And for a lot of mainstream outlets, given their target demographics, that's a thousand dollars that won't move the needle. Cause hey, sometimes we consumers implicitly encourage the garbage we get, right?
So yea, I can believe that the poster of the SPECint2006 scores not spending for a 2017 license. Why the lack of floating point though? :unsure:

Alright, one last reminder: SPEC2006 is old. It has been deprecated by 2017. Now to post the image...
Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1621...e-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested/9
119125.png

Snapdragon 865+ should be using the A77. The A78 should be about +7% over that.
Reminder that when looking at the 3950X, that's chiplet Zen 2. Therefore, a given core would have access to 16 MB of L3 cache. The PS5/Series use monolithic Zen 2; a given core there would have access to 4 MB of L3 cache*. That would very likely have an impact on this benchmark. I say that because I think that there's a noticeable difference between chiplet and monolithic Zen 3 SPEC2017 scores elsewhere (for Zen 3, it'd be 32 MB vs 16 MB).
I should note: I think that Sunny Cove (the i7 1065G7) and Willow Cove (the i7 1185G7) have unusual scores in that chart. If you scroll down far enough, you'll see some SPEC2017 scores, and Sunny Cove/Willow Cove do better in integer there than they did in 2016. And of course, Willow Cove's floating point score for 2006 is bizarrely low. Willow Cove, being a refinement of Sunny Cove, shouldn't differ too much from the latter.

It's fine enough to observe SPEC2006 scores and file it away in your head. I just don't particularly like using them, given the awareness that they've been deprecated for years, yaknow?
Shame that I can't find normalized SPEC2017 scores for ARM cores ✊

*for those who joined in the time I've been gone; one of the reoccurring points I'll bring up with regards to the PS5/Series is that I think that the 4 MB of L3 cache per CCX is a sore spot.
I like to imply that the PS5/Series' CPU is sort of a 'paper tiger', if you will. ~3.5 ghz of Zen 2 sounds great, right? Now, I'm not saying that it's bad. It's still plenty fine! But generally speaking, when people read or hear 'Zen 2', they're thinking 'desktop Zen 2'. They're thinking of 'chiplet Zen 2 with the 16 MB of L3 cache per CCX paired with DDR memory'. They're not thinking of 'monolithic, therefore L3 cache reduced to 4 MB per CCX with GDDR memory, whose latency can potentially further ding the CPU's performance'. There's a lot of opportunity for wasted clock cycles there, relative to preconceptions.
So where do you think it would put a78c clocked at 2.0-2.5ghz?

I mean... it's not wrong? Saying that the Smash clones use rollback, so Smash could use rollback is kinda missing the bigger picture. The clones play like Smash, but they don't have as much going on. They don't support eight players + items + big stages the same way Smash does. That's a lot for the CPU to handle, and rollback is quite CPU intensive on its own. That's before getting into some weirdness with the game like how Steve and building with Minecraft blocks works. So I get why @LiC is saying that you can't really look at the clones and say "Well, Smash can do the same thing!"

It's not feasible to use any other form of netcode for Smash but delay-based lockstep with the features and gameplay that Smash supports, which go way beyond other fighting games. I know gamers think they know better than Bandai Namco's engineers, but they don't, and it was even tried during the development of Ultimate, and it didn't work.

It's much easier to do it in other fighting games that consist entirely of two characters on a flat plane doing nothing but shuffling back and forth and jumping. In those games, you also don't get to see the negative outcomes of those other kinds of netcode as much either, since they sell 2 million copies if they're lucky, and are played mostly by an older demographic with good wired Internet connections. But if you play a match with a bad connection, then sure, the game doesn't slow down, but the characters start teleporting around instead, and already completed actions get undone and you find out you're already dead from a hit that happened half a second ago.

Also note that Smash is a great example of people complaining about "Nintendo's netcode" being a red flag, because Nintendo doesn't develop Smash.

This is a perfect example of casual misinformation. You're thinking of NEX, which was Nintendo's old system for managing lobbies and matchmaking, which was licensed and developed out of Quazal Rendez-Vous, a library that has been around since 2003 or 2004. At some point somebody found a string mentioning Windows 98 or something in an NEX binary, and that became shorthand for people to laugh about how old and bad it was. I think you know as well as I do, that's simply an unserious avenue of criticism for a piece of software. To illustrate that nicely, Rendez-Vous's initial release was a few years after the 2000 release of Havok Physics, a library that Nintendo similarly adopted and built on and still uses today, perhaps most notably as the foundation for all the crazy things you can do in Tears of the Kingdom.

But that has nothing to do with netcode, since NEX doesn't handle peer-to-peer gameplay. Nintendo has an in-house library that does that, called Pia, which debuted somewhere between the launch of the 3DS in February 2011 and MK8's release in May 2014. People don't have the "Windows 98" meme to fall back on for this one, so the only criticisms you see of it are "the netcode is bad" as a catch-all devoid of knowledge or merit. Pia works on exactly the same principles that the entire rest of the industry uses for netcode. There's nothing remarkable about it, and nothing lacking. It does what it's supposed to do, and when people have good internet connections, it works great. When they have bad Internet connections, it works badly.

On top of that, Nintendo isn't even using NEX anymore. They created an in-house replacement called NPLN which has picked up all new development and features and is now the recommended library for lobbies and matchmaking. So to the extent that the "vintage" NEX was hampering online play in Nintendo games -- which would have been in the realm of leaderboards, lobby features, and matchmaking methods -- that issue has been addressed.
this is cool and all but smash ultimate's online really is hot garbage. I have a 500Megabit down, 200 up plan with and even playing against a friend of the same region (both on cable) ultimate lags.
playing against a friend on ANOTHER fucking country on SFV this doesn't happen and V's online isn't even good

the only way i even bother playing smash ultimate is by bringing friends home to play local

also, smash could have rollback on a dedicated online competitive mode that limits stages to omega form + no items 2 players if they wanted to (at least on switch 2 in case the cpu couldn't handle it on switch 1)

Honestly would be a lot more heartbreaking if it weren't a part of a chain of something like 300,000 layoffs overall in 2 and a half years, at this point it's just tiring. Not trying to downplay layoffs overall because it's fucking ridiculous, but it's just goddamn endless at this point.

Pain

I still think those large hire are for data for generative AI. Of course a lot of redundant jobs etc.
From what I understand, rollback requires CPU resources and has an exponential increase based on the number of users, probably the side effects he was talking about. The next smash may implement rollback as long as CPU allows it.
I am still thinking competitive. You can have a separate mode that implements Rollback.
I don't know about Project Slippi though I'm guessing for most retro games is that ram is small enough to be copied as a frame then the emulator would have to detect desync and match the frame to "rollback" (It's not really rollback netcode, more of like a resync or something). Which frame depends on how it is coded.
I can definitely see that.
this is cool and all but smash ultimate's online really is hot garbage. I have a 500Megabit down, 200 up plan with and even playing against a friend of the same region (both on cable) ultimate lags.
playing against a friend on ANOTHER fucking country on SFV this doesn't happen and V's online isn't even good

the only way i even bother playing smash ultimate is by bringing friends home to play local
I think there's also some lag in local play. I think there's more to it than just the netcode. Overall, I think it is that
  1. Most players are wifi
  2. They are far from the routers or the Switch isn't reaching it for a good connection
  3. The limit cap Nintendo places on the network.
  4. Smash is complicated PvP
  5. Other players have trash internet.
  6. It is a handheld and who knows where they can be.
So it sounds like isn't destine for greatness in the first place.

also, smash could have rollback on a dedicated online competitive mode that limits stages to omega form + no items 2 players if they wanted to (at least on switch 2 in case the cpu couldn't handle it on switch 1)
Well that's thing it has been brought up. Nintendo don't care about competitive. If they do care, it is about taking a shower. I do agree that it is needed. After hearing about the past controversy at a couple of smash tournaments. It is clear that they needed it to have tournaments that can keep kids safe.

It's not just Smash and it's not just "player connections" causing issues. Nintendo has to be aware of these issues (like CPU, Wifi) so I guess we just have to wait and see if the company improves on them on Switch 2. This is one of my biggest hopes personally for the next system.

The only way it could work is to make the game deterministic enough that the rollback frames are small enough for a potato to send and calculate.
I think there's also some lag in local play. I think there's more to it than just the netcode. Overall, I think it is that
  1. Most players are wifi
  2. They are far from the routers or the Switch isn't reaching it for a good connection
  3. The limit cap Nintendo places on the network.
  4. Smash is complicated PvP
  5. Other players have trash internet.
  6. It is a handheld and who knows where they can be.
So it sounds like isn't destine for greatness in the first place.
I still think it can be done and Nintendo would just have to be dedicated enough to do it.

Let's compare it to Mobile MOBAs.
From where I live somewhere in South East Asia, mobile MOBAs are popular and even with several countries interconnected together and separated by water into a single server, the server still manages to have a ping of around 10ms-50ms on average. The games are fast-paced and lag or delay can cause a team to lose (although fighting are more sensitive to these).
  1. Most players are wifi - Mobile MOBAs are played solely on wifi and mobile data
  2. They are far from the routers or the Switch isn't reaching it for a good connection - same as #1
  3. The limit cap Nintendo places on the network. - Can be revised by Nintendo
  4. Smash is complicated PvP - MOBAs are also as complicated with a lot of moving parts
  5. Other players have trash internet. - Some play on 100ms up and they are fine. A dedicated Client-Server set-up really helps as compared to P2P.
  6. It is a handheld and who knows where they can be. - Same as #1

1 game, allowed to configure your own settings, RE Village. So they maxed it out with a resolution of ~2K (roughly close to 1440p) native, it resulted in an average of ~49 FPS. However, although we do not know the intensity of the scene they tested at. So let's give it a penalty and presume the average fps is ~30 FPS.
Here’s a better video by Dame Tech regarding RE: Village and M4 iPad.

This test is bit above 1080p, Max settings and MetalFX set to Quality. The M4 iPad is almost always above 60fps. It’s very good for a passively cooled tablet but it’s obviously being throttled due to the lack of active cooling and therefore can’t maintain its peak frequency for longer periods.

The main take away here is that Switch 2 AAA ports will use more than 4GB of RAM. As for games like BG3, it will definitely come to Switch but there will be penalties applied. The A78C is not a powerful CPU but neither is Zen 2.

The only way it could work is to make the game deterministic enough that the rollback frames are small enough for a potato to send and calculate.

I still think it can be done and Nintendo would just have to be dedicated enough to do it.

Let's compare it to Mobile MOBAs.
From where I live somewhere in South East Asia, mobile MOBAs are popular and even with several countries interconnected together and separated by water into a single server, the server still manages to have a ping of around 10ms-50ms on average. The games are fast-paced and lag or delay can cause a team to lose (although fighting are more sensitive to these).
  1. Most players are wifi - Mobile MOBAs are played solely on wifi and mobile data
  2. They are far from the routers or the Switch isn't reaching it for a good connection - same as #1
  3. The limit cap Nintendo places on the network. - Can be revised by Nintendo
  4. Smash is complicated PvP - MOBAs are also as complicated with a lot of moving parts
  5. Other players have trash internet. - Some play on 100ms up and they are fine. A dedicated Client-Server set-up really helps as compared to P2P.
  6. It is a handheld and who knows where they can be. - Same as #1
But over here in America. Our ISP hates us. We have pockets of great internet. Some decent. Most of us stick with the crap routers the ISP give us. Fiber is the best but it isn't everywhere. Cable is the second best, but it can be congested at peak hours. DSL is here and that can be crappy. We have mobile 5G internet and it does do well from my point of view. We still have Dial up, why? Must be a museum. Then there is satellite. If you're satellite, if you're not in the Antarctica. Some sexy salesperson must have finesse you into buying their service. Give up guys, they aren't calling you back.

Edit: BTW, I don't disagree with you on Nintendo improving our online experience. In fact, I am expecting it. Considering these want us to pay, it is a no brainer.

But over here in America. Our ISP hates us. We have pockets of great internet. Some decent. Most of us stick with the crap routers the ISP give us. Fiber is the best but it isn't everywhere. Cable is the second best, but it can be congested at peak hours. DSL is here and that can be crappy. We have mobile 5G internet and it does do well from my point of view. We still have Dial up, why? Must be a museum. Then there is satellite. If you're satellite, if you're not in the Antarctica. Some sexy salesperson must have finesse you into buying their service. Give up guys, they aren't calling you back.
Even with rollback netcode on fighting games, if you can't find a game with ideal ping, the match will suck regardless.

Even with rollback netcode on fighting games, if you can't find a game with ideal ping, the match will suck regardless.
Pretty much.
Are there currently any PC games that require a higher minimum configuration than what is expected for the Switch 2's hardware?
I doubt it. Everything is going to be targeted towards current gen and we already discuss how close the Switch 2 is to some of them.

Then there is satellite. If you're satellite, if you're not in the Antarctica. Some sexy salesperson must have finesse you into buying their service. Give up guys, they aren't calling you back.
my family had satellite for a while because no ISP would build to our road

I think they're using a mobile hotspot now

Isn't Switch 2 lacking in the CPU area significantly??
It’s better than the XSS in the GPU area (1536 CUDA Cores VS 1280 shader cores, Dedicated RT and Neural Unit VS No Dedicated Hardware), but while the CPUs in the AMD-powered systems are stronger, they need to be to get the results they’re getting because their GPUs are taxed harder. Those systems don’t have dedicated hardware on chip, so, the CPU grunt helps them to prevent some bottlenecks. The CPU won’t be a reason to stop games coming to or being ported to the S2NS. I feel that people are still falling into the trap of believing the PS5 is relevant in any way here. XSS is the true performance threshold that developers will target. Steam Deck for portable performance. S2NS will be capable of doing both/meeting developer requirements.

Larian's next game is probably a more viable candidate for Switch 2 than BG3 since they already stated it will be a smaller project. I think BG3 is viable if engine development work they do on their next title includes Switch 2 support, and thus makes it relatively feasible to do a reasonable Switch 2 port. I get the impression they'd rather prioritise their next project given the amount of years they spent on BG3 though.
It’s a lock-in. Larian already has experience with Nintendo hardware, as Divinity: Original Sin 2 exists on the Switch, AND BG3 is coming to ARM-derivative devices from Apple. Also, a
Nintendo employee features on the game’s credits, so, there’s that. Unless you believe he was there to serve them Krispy Kreme Crack Donuts. There won’t be a single non-exclusive title in the PS5/XS libraries which couldn’t exist in some capacity on the S2NS, and I feel that more people need to understand this. None. Not One. Zero. Zilch.
Is it possible that nvidia decided to go with complete ada in the last two years, after all the nvidia hack was march 2022, wouldnt it make sense? Maybe its not ampere with ada features anymore...
As far back as 2021, there were whispers about the S2NS having a Lovelace GPU, but they were dismissed after being conflated with the lie that was the “Switch Pro” rumour mill. I would say there was no smoke without fire, though. It’ll have some elements, and the most probable lithography process will reinforce that it’s been developed alongside Lovelace products. It’s misleading to say it’s an Ampere GPU for those reasons, but it’s possible that they were used in earlier dev kits with “targeted specs”, so that software can be available on time. Nintendo will most probably call it “Custom Nvidia GeForce RTX GPU”, and leave it at that… and that’s all we really need to know, tbqh.

I also use 5g at home as it's faster than the "fiber" that's available in my area (FTTC estimated 70d/20u max). It also costs less per month and there is no contractual obligations to keep it for 2 years unlike with regular ISPs. I have yet to try playing Switch online but it should probably work decently as my IP is technically public and thus I could change NAT Type if needed.

Dragon's Dogma 2 (Ryzen 5 3600 will likely be more powerful than Switch 2 CPU), Alan Wake 2 (says its min is a 3060 which is several times more powerful than the Switch 2 most likely),
Alan Wake 2 changed the minimum requirements. If you actually click the google result those are the recommended. Minimum is a 1070.

There was a user here that has worked on implementing actual rollback into games that did hit the market. I can't remember the username but perhaps their opinion would be extremely valuable in this network discussion

Are there currently any PC games that require a higher minimum configuration than what is expected for the Switch 2's hardware?
If you just look at the pure numbers, sure. But a lot of PC games show requirements beyond the consoles they release on. Like Doom 2016's minimum requirement asks for 8 GB system RAM, plus a GPU with at least 2GB VRAM and 2+ teraflops processing capability.

The Last of Us Part I remake PC version asks for 16GB system RAM + 4GB VRAM minimum. Forspoken PC version asks for 16GB system RAM + 6GB VRAM minimum.
private companies work for the best of our intere-
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. Being rural can suck for net connection and I used satellite for a time too, though even our area recently finally got fiber.

Dragon's Dogma 2 (Ryzen 5 3600 will likely be more powerful than Switch 2 CPU), Alan Wake 2 (says its min is a 3060 which is several times more powerful than the Switch 2 most likely),
PC requirements don't translate 1-1 to consoles , it helps inform, but i would not take them as hard limits on ports.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom