• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

All I'm saying is that there wouldn't be any manufacturer stupid enough to release a new machine and it's unthinkable that a game that is an important part of the first-party exclusives would be on the previous generation of machines and on sale for a while before it's on the new machine.

I've been waiting for like 4 years now to see a new 3D Mario revealed. At this point it's most certainly next-gen, which means it's going to look freaking amazing.

My Switch 2 Pro controller is ready.

PXL-20240405-092055807.jpg
It’s beautiful. Now I really want the Super Nintendo Switch.

I would love to have the choice when buying the Nintendo switch, it would be great if we could have the choice of the controller provided. I understand that a lot of people like joy-cons, and I understand that it’s good to have two controllers included.

However it would be nice if people who do not find the joy cons great to be able to choose a pro controller by default if they are more comfortable with it. After all it’s not like we can’t play in portable mode with a pro controller, the versatility remains the same.

The only safe bet that’s 99.99% probable is that Prime 4 will be released for the Switch. Whether or not it gets a Switch 2 version during or after its launch, it’s a guess.

The only safe bet that’s 99.99% probable is that Prime 4 will be released for the Switch. Whether or not it gets a Switch 2 version during or after its launch, it’s a guess.
prime4 has been in development for 5 years now, which shows that nintendo has enough polish on the game, at the same time the game missed all the golden years of the switch and if I'm not mistaken this year is the last year of the switch's lifecycle, so far prime4 hasn't released any new news to the public, it's obvious that it's rushing to debut on switch2

Wanted to ask a question, is portable mode stronger than Steam deck if only based on the currently known configuration info for switch2?
No.

Switch 2 will have Nvidia's modern wizardry. It will have Nintendo's industrial design. It will have dedicated, optimized ports, and custom crafted Nintendo exclusives. Better battery life, higher resolution screen,

Steam Deck has ~30% more horsepower, the flexibility of PC, all your Steam Games, and those neat track pads.

All I'm saying is that there wouldn't be any manufacturer stupid enough to release a new machine and it's unthinkable that a game that is an important part of the first-party exclusives would be on the previous generation of machines and on sale for a while before it's on the new machine.
I'm sure there are plenty of examples of major first party games coming out shortly before a new hardware (many of which never released on the new hardware), but The Last of Us Part II comes to mind as a notable one that came out 5 months before PS5 and didn't get a PS5 version until 3 years after PS5 launch.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of major first party games coming out shortly before a new hardware (many of which never released on the new hardware), but The Last of Us Part II comes to mind as a notable one that came out 5 months before PS5 and didn't get a PS5 version until 3 years after PS5 launch.
Not a ps5 version, but a full blown remastered./s

But the extra side content was neat though.

prime4 has been in development for 5 years now, which shows that nintendo has enough polish on the game, at the same time the game missed all the golden years of the switch and if I'm not mistaken this year is the last year of the switch's lifecycle, so far prime4 hasn't released any new news to the public, it's obvious that it's rushing to debut on switch2
the only thing that's obvious is that nothing is obvious

We know SNG was the OG plan until semi recently. So it's a reasonable assumption they don't have a ton of stuff.
I think it would be a very bad plan to make prime4 the last key title of the switch lifecycle and choose to come back to switch2 after a while, the loss of a premier game for switch2 for no reason would have an incalculable impact on switch2 sales.I'd like to reiterate that point that switch2 needs enough quality first party exclusives in its first year to complete a smooth transition

We know SNG was the OG plan until semi recently. So it's a reasonable assumption they don't have a ton of stuff.
Why would we assume they are going to drop Switch support instantly? Feels like the imminent end of Switch's software support has been predicted for several years running too.

Pokemon Legends being Switch only and coming out like 2 weeks before the next system wouldn't surprise me.

I think it would be a very bad plan to make prime4 the last key title of the switch lifecycle and choose to come back to switch2 after a while, the loss of a premier game for switch2 for no reason would have an incalculable impact on switch2 sales.I'd like to reiterate that point that switch2 needs enough quality first party exclusives in its first year to complete a smooth transition

Considering we know absolutely nothing else about what Nintendo is working on (Pokemon aside - which is S1 for sure and with BC, S2), I don't see why it's so essential that MP4 is one of those.

Would it make a great Switch 2 title? For sure. Do I get why people want that to happen? You betcha.

But do I think that a Switch 1 game that they publicly rebooted 5+ years ago is now one they're depending on to launch their next gen console? Not really.

To me, it's getting putting there cause we have nothing else to put there. (kind of like how this off-topic discussion post is getting put here cause we have nothing else to put here)

I couldn't be more disappointed if Nintendo releases a console in 2025 for $399 and it's less powerful than SteamDeck.
Drake is far better than Van Gogh though.

And the thing you need to consider is that SDs power budget is pretty much equal to Switch docked. To match SD in portable it needs more than twice the performance per watt of SD.

We are expecting Drake to achieve that, and then some. And absolutely wipe the floor with it docked, which is the fair comparison.

Yep, and that is why its reasonable to think Nintendo may opt to release Prime 4 on Switch later this year. Prime 4 spent the bulk of its development targeting Switch and Retro probably didn't get SNG dev kits until last early 2023. Any development that has taken place for SNG would have been an afterthought with Switch being the primary focus. Prime Remastered gave us a clear indication of what to expect in terms of visuals. With Prime Remastered the team at Retro was able to get their engine and tools up to snuff and be fully prepared for the full scale development of Prime 4. Retro took over development of Prime 4 in 2019, but the early days of development would have been limited to a small group of people planning out the story, gameplay ideas and potentially artist working on concept art. While this team works on the planning process a much larger group at Retro was able to work on Prime Remastered. All in all, I expect Prime 4 to have graphics on par with Prime Remastered, but with an increased level of scope.

As much as I want Prime 4 on SNG, its hard to deny that it could easily be overshadowed by a number of games that Nintendo will release during the launch window. By giving it the prime selling spot during the holiday season with a userbase of 150 million units, its hard to deny that it would be giving it the best chance for success.

We still do not know how Nintendo will handle BC for SNG. Imagine if Nintendo outlines a scenario where they intent to offer complete backwards compatibility but also commit to doing next gen patches for some of their biggest Switch games. This would be a big selling point for the new hardware, enticing many Switch users to upgrade sooner rather than later. I also have the belief that at some point during SNG's life, Nintendo will add their first party Switch games to the service. Instead of being disappointed to be playing Prime 4 on Switch later this year, we may end up in a scenario where we get to enjoy a masterpiece on Switch knowing that later in 2025 we will have it upgraded for SNG.

I couldn't be more disappointed if Nintendo releases a console in 2025 for $399 and it's less powerful than SteamDeck.
I bet you could. What if they did $450?

It's gonna be less powerful than the Steam Deck, by the measures that most people use, except the one that matters, which is how good the games look.

I bet you could. What if they did $450?

It's gonna be less powerful than the Steam Deck, by the measures that most people use, except the one that matters, which is how good the games look.
The measure that most people use are teraflops. Shouldn't Drake be a bit more than SD in handheld mode? Assuming around 550 mhz.

@Hermii pretty much already laid it out, but its easy to see just from core count that T239 easily surpasses Steam Deck in docked mode. Even if the clock speeds mirrored the Tegra X1 on Switch, the docked performance would be 2.4 Tflops. Portable mode could fall short at around 1.2Tflop. These are very pessimistic outlook that could only come true if T239 is on 8nm. Even on 8nm,

My last post about this topic is that some of you are severely overestimating the mainstream appeal of Metroid Prime.

That is actually an understatement. There is zero mainstream appeal for Metroid Prime. As good as Prime Remastered is, and with a budget price of just $40, it still sold just over 1 million units. No matter how good the game turns out to be, this is not a title that will move the needle for SNG hardware sales. Prime 4 benefits more from massive userbase filling a software void this holiday season far more than SNG would benefit from having Prime 4 at launch. You could argue that they could have the best of both worlds with a cross gen release, but I think there is still a chance that it ultimately gets overshadowed by the new 3D Mario.

Those games had a (pretty much) simultaneous release on both systems. I'm not ruling out MP4 as a holiday release this year (would lean this way), which would give it 3-6 months on just the Switch. Plus not super convinced it'll have a super upgraded version on Switch 2 anyway.
Well, think about it. The reflection against Samus armor. Global illumination in the obligatory lava room. The mandatory super HDR dark room. The refine strands of Samus hair. The fast elevator transition scene (like in dread but faster). The 1440p resolution, if not in 4K. Metroid Prime 4 is probably the only game that can take that much advantage of the NGS.
  • Scarlet and Violet is very stylized game. Stuff like ray tracing isn't needed. Maybe HDR. It just need both texture and image resolution increase. Also better frame rate
  • Same with Totk and botw.
  • Same with fire emblem engage.
I can't think of any other game that would benefit from a super upgrade than MP4.
As much as I want Prime 4 on SNG, its hard to deny that it could easily be overshadowed by a number of games that Nintendo will release during the launch window. By giving it the prime selling spot during the holiday season with a userbase of 150 million units, its hard to deny that it would be giving it the best chance for success.
Well, I think the only counter argument. I can think of is Pokémon ZA will be the holiday launch title for this year.

You could argue that they could have the best of both worlds with a cross gen release, but I think there is still a chance that it ultimately gets overshadowed by the new 3D Mario.
Well, that's the thing I was trying to say earlier is that zelda had two cross gen titles that did better on the newer console.

Well, that's the thing I was trying to say earlier is that zelda had two cross gen titles that did better on the newer console.

Both of those games were developed on hardware that underperformed/flopped, and Zelda is an IP that can move hardware. Zelda TP and Zelda BotW were two of the biggest budget games Nintendo had ever produced, but they were doomed to modest sales unless they released them on new hardware. The circumstances for those games compared to Prime 4 are very different, even if they look similar at the surface level.

I will be extremely disappointed if my favorite game franchises, 'Power' and 'Teraflop', which are as everyone knows two of the biggest licenses in the history of video games, are not available on the Nintendo switch 2. I think that if this is the case I would have to use an emulator to play these iconic games that make the steam deck and other high-end hybrid PCs unique.

I suspect the reason prime4 is bound to debut on switch2 is because prime4 has to make up for the dilemma of lack of a new Legend of Zelda in the early days of switch2, core gamers will definitely prefer the metroid series over Mario compared to 3d Mario, and core gamers are essential to the initial word of mouth and publicity of a console.

Can we write off analog triggers for switch 2? I mean, let's consider the following:
  • both smash and splatoon are top tier franchises (10mi+ units sold) and they BOTH not only don't benefit from analog triggers, it's also something that hinders the experience considering how you NEED quick reflexes for shielding and shooting
  • analog triggers are inherently more complex and increase production costs
  • a BUNCH of games will simply not use them and they'll essentially be hindered by the microdelay of having to press the triggers slightly harder to perform an action

all that said, finally bringing back analog triggers could prove so useful for nintendo in the VERY games i mentioned:
in splatoon for instance, they could use analog triggers to let players adjust how far their ink will travel and maybe also how hard brushes press against the floor
in smash, pressing the shield harder could generate a bigger shield or a smaller shield, depending on how you press it
of course there's also racing games like mario kart that could use triggers as a gas pedal.

now, the issue of trigger press-to-input delay could be solved with adjustable triggers but like i said, the cost would rise and idk if nintendo would be interested

My last post about this topic is that some of you are severely overestimating the mainstream appeal of Metroid Prime.
A tale as old as time...
Well, think about it. The reflection against Samus armor. Global illumination in the obligatory lava room. The mandatory super HDR dark room. The refine strands of Samus hair. The fast elevator transition scene (like in dread but faster). The 1440p resolution, if not in 4K. Metroid Prime 4 is probably the only game that can take that much advantage of the NGS.
  • Scarlet and Violet is very stylized game. Stuff like ray tracing isn't needed. Maybe HDR. It just need both texture and image resolution increase. Also better frame rate
  • Same with Totk and botw.
  • Same with fire emblem engage.
I can't think of any other game that would benefit from a super upgrade than MP4.

Well, I think the only counter argument. I can think of is Pokémon ZA will be the holiday launch title for this year.
All of those games would 100% benefit from being on new hardware. As gorgeous as Tears of the Kingdom is, I'm not sure how you can look at some of the texture work and the FSR1.0 artifacts and think it couldn't use a little more of a push to smooth out some edges (almost literally lol).
yWnWxsx.jpeg

We've already seen Breath of the Wild natively rendered at higher resolutions, thanks to some prerelease shots.

All that aside, RT is just as much about improving dev workflow as it is about the graphical improvements. Once their pipeline is moved over to completely utilizing it, it becomes way easier to handle lighting in games. Even if super stylized games don't benefit as much, it can still needed just for the sake of making the devs' jobs easier.

For both Zelda BotW and TotK, all they need to do is patch in support for higher resolutions, increase framerate to 60fps and perhaps add some AA, and both games would look amazing and timeless. You will still certainly see some very low res textures here and there, but the art style makes them more tolerable. Patching in things like DLSS and Ray Tracing would take some extensive work, but if there is already a solid BC solution for Switch games out of the box, hijacking a few rendering commands would make for a simple patch. We have seen this already on some jail broken Switch's where people have games like the Witcher 3 and Zelda TotK running at 60fps.

For both Zelda BotW and TotK, all they need to do is patch in support for higher resolutions, increase framerate to 60fps and perhaps add some AA, and both games would look amazing and timeless. You will still certainly see some very low res textures here and there, but the art style makes them more tolerable. Patching in things like DLSS and Ray Tracing would take some extensive work, but if there is already a solid BC solution for Switch games out of the box, hijacking a few rendering commands would make for a simple patch. We have seen this already on some jail broken Switch's where people have games like the Witcher 3 and Zelda TotK running at 60fps.
It's not directly comparable to home-brew though. Any home brewer will gladly tolerate occasional bugs or crashes as a result of their tinkering.

Y’all think Nintendo will release a Switch lite Oled, for this holiday.

Like with the Switch 2 delay I was hoping for a Mini console, but that won’t happen, since we’ll only get those if Nintendo is desperate for cash.

Like can we expect any small hardware, this holiday, since maybe the lite Oled can have a prime 4 bundle.

I suspect the reason prime4 is bound to debut on switch2 is because prime4 has to make up for the dilemma of lack of a new Legend of Zelda in the early days of switch2, core gamers will definitely prefer the metroid series over Mario compared to 3d Mario, and core gamers are essential to the initial word of mouth and publicity of a console.
I’m willing to bet Core-Nintendo Gamers would be more hype for a new 3D Mario…

Just compare launch sale numbers of Odyssey vs Dread.

Odyssey only had an audience of mostly core Nintendo gamers to pull from since the Switch only came out 7 months prior. While Dread had around 100 million core and other gamers to reach. Odyssey did a lot better…

A new 3D Mario would push the sales of the Switch 2 better than almost anything else other than maybe… a new Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, or Smash. Maybe.

Like with the Switch 2 delay I was hoping for a Mini console, but that won’t happen, since we’ll only get those if Nintendo is desperate for cash.

Like can we expect any small hardware, this holiday, since maybe the lite Oled can have a prime 4 bundle.
I definitely have been wondering if Nintendo will do one more model before calling it quits on the OG Switch 1. It could come after the Switch 2 released like the GBA Micro came after the the DS.

Here are the possibilities that I think are most likely (but with three models already out I think we are more like just to get price drops):

- Micro: like the Lite but even tinier. Actually fit into your pocket.

- Home Console: reduce the cost, production time, and shelf space at store/shipping containers by taking away the battery and screen. Probably through a Pro controller in the box. They could make them tiny and probably still turn a profit by selling them for $129.99. Cheap way to jump into the Nintendo ecosystem.

I definitely have been wondering if Nintendo will do one more model before calling it quits on the OG Switch 1. It could come after the Switch 2 released like the GBA Micro came after the the DS.

Here are the possibilities that I think are most likely (but with three models already out I think we are more like just to get price drops):

- Micro: like the Lite but even tinier. Actually fit into your pocket.

- Home Console: reduce the cost, production time, and shelf space at store/shipping containers by taking away the battery and screen. Probably through a Pro controller in the box. They could make them tiny and probably still turn a profit by selling them for $129.99. Cheap way to jump into the Nintendo ecosystem.
I personally think Nintendo will make one more iteration of the switch.

I can expect them, just like you said a switch micro, which I would honestly love.

But I can see them making a switch lite Oled, with the possibility of a premium Oled screen and better audio and higher storage.

Because I can see Nintendo too one last push and create a lot of bundles this holiday, without having the switch get a price cut.

Shouldn't Drake be a bit more than SD in handheld mode? Assuming around 550 mhz.
Deck: 1.63 TFLOPS
Drake: 1.68 TFLOPS

Of course, we all know these are contextless numbers. And I think the people who throw around contextless numbers are also probably gonna through these contextless numbers around

Deck: 8 CPU threads @ 2.8GHz
Drake: 8 CPU threads @ maaaaaaybe 2.0 GHz

The problem is what happens when someone asks a reasonable and genuine question - "which is more powerful" - you kinda have to admit that all these numbers are liars. Any sort of nuance, and it's a three page reply. Any "short for non-techies" answer reply is gonna miss the nuance

Simplest answer that I think tells the truth is "yeah, Steam Deck has some horsepower advantages, but that's the price you pay for a device that actually fits nicely in your hand and has decent battery life. And with Nvidia wizardry on top, I don't think the horsepower difference matters much tbh"

No for a few reasons.

I don't think an oled lite would be a trivial engineering project. Both SD Oled and Switch Oled are extensively redesigned under the hood.

Lite is the cheap option in the Switch lineup, it woudnt remain so with an oled panel.

Every Switch form factor has been datamined long in advance. There has been no hints of a new lite form factor.

Can we write off analog triggers for switch 2? I mean, let's consider the following:
  • both smash and splatoon are top tier franchises (10mi+ units sold) and they BOTH not only don't benefit from analog triggers, it's also something that hinders the experience considering how you NEED quick reflexes for shielding and shooting
  • a BUNCH of games will simply not use them and they'll essentially be hindered by the microdelay of having to press the triggers slightly harder to perform an action

all that said, finally bringing back analog triggers could prove so useful for nintendo in the VERY games i mentioned:
in splatoon for instance, they could use analog triggers to let players adjust how far their ink will travel and maybe also how hard brushes press against the floor
in smash, pressing the shield harder could generate a bigger shield or a smaller shield, depending on how you press it
of course there's also racing games like mario kart that could use triggers as a gas pedal.

now, the issue of trigger press-to-input delay could be solved with adjustable triggers but like i said, the cost would rise and idk if nintendo would be interested
Arguably I would think that if games do have mandated analog triggers, they'll be able to adapt the controls around it so there's no need for a micro-delay in highly competitive shooters/racers/fighters.

I wouldn't make the argument that Mario Kart needs analog triggers for gas and brakes, however a number of racing sims like Need For Speed, Burnout, or (in this delulu fantasy) Forza would absolutely take advantage of analog triggers. These games, especially the former as NFS:HP and BO:p are on Switch and elsewhere, there is a distinct difference in handling when you only have digital triggers and that nuance in control is lost as a result. Rocket League is another great example where despite crossplay, there's still aerial handling and manuevres that result in trickier timed taps on digital triggers to ensure the right velocity that wouldn't be necessary for analog triggers.

Even when it comes to Nintendo's in-house games, Super Mario Sunshine also made good use of FLUDD with analog triggers that it's the only way I can play the game using a GC controller when playing SM3DAS because muscle memory makes so much more sense than having to learn an inferior control scheme. F-Zero GX, if/when it does get a remaster or a whole new entry in 3D space, analog triggers are crucial to drifting around hairpin corners at breakneck speeds.

In conclusion Nintendo has been wrong to remove analog triggers ever since the Wii Classic Controller Pro. It is more boon than hindrance than they believe, they are not trailblazers in this regard when Xbox and Sony have maintained if not improved their analog triggers and response (even if they can't get the ergonomics right like GC did), and they only hold themselves back because of this ridiculous limitation. The return of analog triggers are long overdue and never should have left in the first place; slim form factor be damned

Out of all revisions I've seen suggested, the one which makes the most sense would be a TV-only box focused on cheap local multiplayer (console + 2 joycons + 1 game for $199 or less). Ring Fit could be a bundle here too.

They could even put in a retro form factor and target the audience for Mini consoles (but this time people can buy Switch games for their "NES mini").

Lite wasn't much popular even before the OLED, selling 20M in 4 years, so I doubt a Lite OLED would bring in many extra purchases to justify the extra costs of a new model, just cannibalize other models.

Arguably I would think that if games do have mandated analog triggers, they'll be able to adapt the controls around it so there's no need for a micro-delay in highly competitive shooters/racers/fighters.

I wouldn't make the argument that Mario Kart needs analog triggers for gas and brakes, however a number of racing sims like Need For Speed, Burnout, or (in this delulu fantasy) Forza would absolutely take advantage of analog triggers. These games, especially the former as NFS:HP and BO:p are on Switch and elsewhere, there is a distinct difference in handling when you only have digital triggers and that nuance in control is lost as a result. Rocket League is another great example where despite crossplay, there's still aerial handling and manuevres that result in trickier timed taps on digital triggers to ensure the right velocity that wouldn't be necessary for analog triggers.

Even when it comes to Nintendo's in-house games, Super Mario Sunshine also made good use of FLUDD with analog triggers that it's the only way I can play the game using a GC controller when playing SM3DAS because muscle memory makes so much more sense than having to learn an inferior control scheme. F-Zero GX, if/when it does get a remaster or a whole new entry in 3D space, analog triggers are crucial to drifting around hairpin corners at breakneck speeds.

In conclusion Nintendo has been wrong to remove analog triggers ever since the Wii Classic Controller Pro. It is more boon than hindrance than they believe, they are not trailblazers in this regard when Xbox and Sony have maintained if not improved their analog triggers and response (even if they can't get the ergonomics right like GC did), and they only hold themselves back because of this ridiculous limitation. The return of analog triggers are long overdue and never should have left in the first place; slim form factor be damned
I terribly dislike analog triggers. I have to spend like $150 on xbox joysticks so that I can disable them. They're nice for everything that is better with them (racing games) and worse for everything else. I even think FPS games are worse with them. I feel like Gamecube games had them tacked on so that they wouldn't seem like the almost worthless addition that they are. FLUDD puzzles were designed around them for this very reason. I would have so much rather had the port of Super Mario Sunshine in 3D Allstars redesign the puzzles, but I think that was beyond the scope of the work, and adding support for actual gamecube controllers was the best we were going to get out of that.

EDIT: I hadn't realized that I had that strong of an opinion on that.

Would you count it as cross gen if it released later this year on Switch and then a definitive version next year for SNG?
I think so. I'm a bit vague on what exactly "cross gen" should normally mean if we have BC here.

I was going to define it as MP4 getting its own SKU for Switch 2 (separate from Switch 1).

Hopefully Nintendo will clarify that "definitive version" is coming for NG, should your scenario become true (Switch 1 and Switch 2 being released separately). I'd rather play MP4 on NG if Switch 2 is getting "definitive/enhanced" version.

Last edited:
Deck: 1.63 TFLOPS
Drake: 1.68 TFLOPS

Of course, we all know these are contextless numbers. And I think the people who throw around contextless numbers are also probably gonna through these contextless numbers around

The problem is what happens when someone asks a reasonable and genuine question - "which is more powerful" - you kinda have to admit that all these numbers are liars. Any sort of nuance, and it's a three page reply. Any "short for non-techies" answer reply is gonna miss the nuance

Simplest answer that I think tells the truth is "yeah, Steam Deck has some horsepower advantages, but that's the price you pay for a device that actually fits nicely in your hand and has decent battery life. And with Nvidia wizardry on top, I don't think the horsepower difference matters much tbh"
Deck have only 4 cores on CPU and drake will have 8.

Threads isn't the same as cores. Zen 2 has 2 threads per core, arm 78 has one.
Right, but 8 threads != 8 cores either. It's all dependent on how each set of 2 hardware threads handle the shared resources per physical core. At times when the threads don't require the same resources, they can technically work in parallel as if they were separate cores. But most of the time it's not like that. I think the general number was around a 30% boost with SMT with only a 5% increase in core area.

Why would we assume they are going to drop Switch support instantly?
I don't think that was suggested. But if the plan for holiday 2024 was something like "half Switch, half Switch 2 including the biggest AAA release", we're now left with whatever the "half Switch" part was.
Worst case is probably that Switch 2 in its slow mode is not very different from Steam Deck in its pedal-to-the-metal mode. Though it may fall behind on fan decibels.
As a casual Smash player, I kind of enjoyed the analog shield.

No. If they were hoping to have Switch 2 for this year, that would be the plan for this year's hardware. But that not happening, they wouldn't reasonably be able to produce something else in a matter of months, or take something planned for next year (the equivalent of GB Micro or N2DSXL) and have it ready a year early. And as has often come up, Lite OLED seems a bad clash in what those models were intended to be.[/list]

I'm wondering which of these setups will hold up better in the future though. Will the Steam Deck's 4 core & 8 threads CPU at some point have diminishing returns, since new games like Dragons Dogma 2 perfectly showcase the benefits of 6-8 core CPUs when you're entirely CPU bound?

Will the Switch 2's 8 core & 8 threads CPU with slightly slower clockrates hold up better in the long term, or does number of cores even matter if the number of threads are the same? (Ignoring architectural improvements between chips and such)

I don't think that was suggested. But if the plan for holiday 2024 was something like "half Switch, half Switch 2 including the biggest AAA release", we're now left with whatever the "half Switch" part was.
To make up for a delay, Nintendo can very well advance the release of games that were to be released on both consoles anyway without it changing much for them. I mean, even if Prime 4 ,Wind Waker or Twilight princess HD come out before switch 2, it will still be a selling point for switch 2 to say they will look better on the new console.

If games were to be released on both consoles, you don’t necessarily have to wait for the launch of the switch 2 to still launch them on switch 1. You can always show them with DLSS on the new hardware then, but that doesn’t prohibit you from using these games for the second half of 2024.

So I don’t believe in a drought at all, and launching Arlo HD and Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD on the spot proves that Nintendo doesn’t worry about a drought either in my opinion.

This is why I keep saying pressure sensitive capacitive L and R buttons. We lose nothing but we gain the OPTION of analogue input without hugely increased complexity, and important for a portable, without much added component size. Unsupported games? They feel and act like standard L and R bumpers. Supported games? Scroll them like wheels, select items, adjust pressure, whatever you like! Scroll wheel shoulder buttons, analogue triggers, capactive touch sensors, all in one! Heck, make R a finger print scanner while we're at it, why not.

Leave ZL and ZR alone though, please. Those are the Splatoon buttons. Don't. Touch. The Splatoon buttons.

Also Mario Kart uses Right Control Stick as gas/reverse if you need analogue input right now!

Last edited:
Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom