• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Not entirely relevant but interesting (if it s true)

Biggest thing I have straight away: Would it be more like the Steam Deck, or the Nintendo Switch?

My first impression is more Steam Deck like, because switching between a docked and handheld mode would likely cut into their sales of the PS5/PS6. Nintendo are in the unique position to leverage a true hybrid system, but Sony does not really. That said, I like the prospect of this, and how it could shape up in the coming years.

Never understand why some people need to make rumors about a new Sony handheld, a fully one, not something like the Portal that is.

Sony seems to be quite okay with how things are right now, and as seen with their treatment of PSVR2, they still aren't able to support more than their main system.
So another handheld would be bound to fail just the same again. You can only have third parties do so much lifting.

If that‘s true Nintendo is in serious trouble./s

Nintendo, seeing a new PS handheld selling decently: "Release the Pokemon."

Never understand why some people need to make rumors about a new Sony handheld, a fully one, not something like the Portal that is.

Sony seems to be quite okay with how things are right now, and as seen with their treatment of PSVR2, they still aren't able to support more than their main system.
So another handheld would be bound to fail just the same again. You can only have third parties do so much lifting.

Splatoon vs Foamstars intensifies

"...and the Mario, and the Animal Crossing, and the Smash Bros, and the Mario Kart!"

Not entirely relevant but interesting (if it s true)
Sony barely publishes anything first-party for anything that isn’t their main PlayStation console, this would be DoA (even if this rumour is most certainly fake)

Eh. Steam deck is close enough to ps4 that I can imagine an off the shelf AMD apu in a sony built handheld being able to take quick ports of PS4 titles.

"Nintendo Control" sounds rather nice.
It'll be a Switch with VR, hehe.

Now you have the Control. Nintendo Control!

grimace.gif

It'll never happen, but if Nintendo called its next console the "Switch Advance" or the "Super Switch", it would automatically put a smile on my face.

It'll never happen, but if Nintendo called its next console the "Switch Advance" or the "Super Switch", it would automatically put a smile on my face.
What about the Switch Nintendo Entertainment System? Idk I think SNES has a nice ring to it for some reason.

damn, that new ufouria game looks nice...

imagine what it would look like...

ray-traced... with DLSS...

and on a console with a '2' in its name...

0987f8c37d654a2267833ca048b3e8ea.jpg

it's february, i'm desperate!

Hey @NateDrake no pressure at all but we’re all eagerly awaiting your next podcast ;).

Also, I’m surprised Nintendo has been dead silent on their Switch successor at this point. Not even an admission.

Everyone once Nate posts the podcast and it turns out to just be fun speculation with MVG and not the leak of the century.

That has not been my experience. I find it to be one of the few reliable sources of leaks. Can you provide some evidence of their unreliability?
One example is that Moore's Law is Dead made a claim that Ada Lovelace doesn't seem like a desktop GPU, which is 100% false.
image.png

Another example is that Moore's Law is Dead made a claim that Intel was developing Intel Arc A780.
image.png

But Ryan Shrout, who worked for Intel at the time, and Bob Duffy, who still works for Intel, said that Intel Arc A780 never existed.

And despite two Intel employees denying the existence of Intel Arc A780, Moore's Law is Dead is still insistent that Intel Arc A780 existed.

Fusion
Primeview

We’re getting a Metroid Fusion remake and Prime 2 in next direct

giphy.gif

Some folks don't like Fusion as much as Super, but I think it rivals it in many ways, mostly in the atmosphere side of things, plus the soundtrack is arguably as good, if not better than Super. That's your controversial take of the day, Fami.

Quoting my original post about this back when they announced the downtime:

Honestly this wouldn't completely surprise me, as a week is enough time to install a completely new video wall from scratch. Something like changing out the AV hardware or updating software could be done in a day, and for high-footfall retail environments you usually don't want work going on any longer than strictly necessary.

Of course, even if they are replacing it with a 4K screen, that wouldn't really tell us much. Aside from it being unlikely that anyone could actually tell it's a 4K capable screen after the upgrade, I don't think it would indicate any kind of imminent reveal. January would just be a sensible time to do it, as it's likely a quiet period, so it would cause the least disruption.

As expected, they did replace the full video wall. I don't know the exact size of the wall, but based on the 1.5mm pixel pitch, it's unlikely to be full 4K, but it's certainly over 1080p. Assuming the wall is around 2m tall (just rough guess from photos) it's likely around 1440p resolution. A full 4K wall at 1.5mm pixel pitch would be 5.76m by 3.24m. It's also worth noting that video walls like this are almost never precise standard resolutions like 1440p or whatever, they just choose a pixel pitch that gives the required image quality at the expected viewing distance, and then scale the input to whatever resolution you end up with.

Assuming this pattern remains a pattern (we know patterns don't always remain a pattern),

That's what I'd assume, lol, even if it's not true.

They want a better TV to showcase eventual Switch 2 on.
Unironically, yeah, they needed to upgrade their gaming area to a 4KHDR (compatible) display ahead of the console reveal. The fact it's almost certainly gone above 1080p is a pretty strong indicator this isn't just for Switch games.

Higher res tracks since the native 1080p Super Mario Wonder looked poorly upscaled when I last went a week ago, lol

As expected, they did replace the full video wall. I don't know the exact size of the wall, but based on the 1.5mm pixel pitch, it's unlikely to be full 4K, but it's certainly over 1080p. Assuming the wall is around 2m tall (just rough guess from photos) it's likely around 1440p resolution. A full 4K wall at 1.5mm pixel pitch would be 5.76m by 3.24m. It's also worth noting that video walls like this are almost never precise standard resolutions like 1440p or whatever, they just choose a pixel pitch that gives the required image quality at the expected viewing distance, and then scale the input to whatever resolution you end up with.
highlights why microLED is so hard for consumer products

Unironically, yeah, they needed to upgrade their gaming area to a 4KHDR (compatible) display ahead of the console reveal. The fact it's almost certainly gone above 1080p is a pretty strong indicator this isn't just for Switch games.
Thanks for quoting me, I didn't realize I left "Assuming this pattern remains a pattern (we know patterns don't always remain a pattern)," text in there (that was in response to something completely different and I forgot to remove that). Just edited my other comment.

Website says custom DVLED. So through a quick Google search, at least we'll know it will be FAR brighter than any consumer product.

4-10k nits is insane.

Website says custom DVLED. So through a quick Google search, at least we'll know it will be FAR brighter than any consumer product.

4-10k nits is insane.
I think it's just a one-off for a display rather than any indication of the final product. MicroLEDs, and especially small microLEDs, are more expensive and prone to defects than OLED displays.

Retro may not be one of the first internal development teams at Nintendo to get kits, but they would get them before third parties ever do for sure. Now, if the assertion is that Retro recently received "final" development hardware, that is possible. It isn't out of the ordinary for development hardware to go through many iterations and often time the final hardware is sent out mere months before the new hardware releases.

Assuming the decision was made for Prime 4 to be cross gen, Retro could have began work on the SNG build the game with little more than a PC with a RTX3050 graphics card. Even if Retro didn't get real dev kits until last year, as long as they were informed of the target specs, they could extrapolate a lot of insight from running the game on a RTX3050.

Has this been discussed?

I only saw the first half of that quote the first time around, and thought it was super vague and could apply to any console. But I didn't realize he went on to list different types of improved specs, and threw "battery life" in there. 🤣 Yeah he knows things about Sw2tch.

let's not read into a store buying a new tv
Hmm... no, not when the new TV makes their current product look bad apparently, and their new product
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

And this is a speculation thread, at the end of the day, "don't speculate" doesn't feel helpful.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom